Marathon Weekend 2022

I was listening to a podcast with Shalane Flanagan last night and she said there are times she doesn’t want to get out there, but then starting the run actually gives you the motivation. I did not feel like running today but made myself remember that.

I’ve been doing the Peloton marathon training program and I’ve found the 10min warm-ups plus an additional 10min warm-up in the actual workout always changes my attitude and I end up having very productive runs, even on days that I say I’m only going to log the time and not do the tempo. Gotta remember those feel good feelings for my next run!!
I have quite often found that on days when I don't feel like going for a long run, the first mile or two can be miserable. Seems like it will take forever. But once I settle into the run, it gets easier and before long I'm suddenly realizing that I'm almost done.

I have quite often found that on days when I don't feel like going for a long run, the first mile or two can be miserable. Seems like it will take forever. But once I settle into the run, it gets easier and before long I'm suddenly realizing that I'm almost done.
The first two and the last two miles are always complete misery for me. The middle is just me singing “Just keep swimming” to myself for hours.

Does anyone know what brand of gels/gu/sport drink that they offer on the 1/2 marathon course? If at all? And if so, roughly when/where? I’m trying to not have any surprises on race day. Overall I prefer water and honey stingers but maybe I should test whatever might be offered on the race course. Of course, I could just bring my own but I really prefer to ‘travel light’ when I’m running. Any help or direction appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Does anyone know what brand of gels/gu/sport drink that they offer on the 1/2 marathon course? If at all? And if so, roughly when/where? I’m trying to not have any surprises on race day. Overall I prefer water and honey stingers but maybe I should test whatever might be offered on the race course. Of course, I could just bring my own but I really prefer to ‘travel light’ when I’m running. Any help or direction appreciated. Thanks!
No gels, no gu, just Gatorade or water as I recall.
Of course, you can taste and buy lots at the expo. I always have the sports beans in my hip sack.

The on-course sports drink has been Powerade since I’ve been doing RunDisney events. The half marathon courses typically have one nutrition station around mile 8. That has changed over the years, though. It started out as one of the major gels (Gu, maybe?), which gave way to Sport Beans for a few years. They’ve recently changed again to Honey Stinger gummies, if I remember correctly, for the Wine & Dine half. I don’t know if it’s been formally announced for Marathon Weekend, but I would expect them to stay with Honey Stinger.

They’ve recently changed again to Honey Stinger gummies, if I remember correctly, for the Wine & Dine half. I don’t know if it’s been formally announced for Marathon Weekend, but I would expect them to stay with Honey Stinger.
This would be so great if they stick with this for MW! I usually train with Clif shot blocks or Skratch gummies, so I need to give the Honey Stinger ones a try. I never take advantage of on course nutrition because it's never what I've been training with but that may finally be changing!

I often feel the same way. No matter how much I want to skip a run by around mile 2 I'm glad I didn't.

Anyone else drive themselves crazy planning on what to wear each day for the Dopey? Been picking up shorts and singlets and then stopped because never know what the weather will be. It's not me to sit back and wait until the last minute to plan things out. But I guess in this case I will need to wait and see what the weather forecast is as it gets closer.

Anyone else drive themselves crazy planning on what to wear each day for the Dopey? Been picking up shorts and singlets and then stopped because never know what the weather will be. It's not me to sit back and wait until the last minute to plan things out. But I guess in this case I will need to wait and see what the weather forecast is as it gets closer.

Common misconception: You need 4 outfits for Dopey.

Reality: You need to pack 12 outfits for Dopey. 4 for good temperatures, 4 for ice skating temperatures and 4 to wear on the surface of the sun. Oh, and make sure you have accessories to support running in the rain under any of those conditions.

While watching the weather forecast can be an entertaining sport on its own merits leading up to the race weekend, I advise not relying on it too much more than 12-24 hours before the race. The weather down there can and does change with very little notice and it pays to be ready for all conditions.

Reality: You need to pack 12 outfits for Dopey. 4 for good temperatures, 4 for ice skating temperatures and 4 to wear on the surface of the sun. Oh, and make sure you have accessories to support running in the rain under any of those conditions.

While watching the weather forecast can be an entertaining sport on its own merits leading up to the race weekend, I advise not relying on it too much more than 12-24 hours before the race. The weather down there can and does change with very little notice and it pays to be ready for all conditions.
lol but also, correct

And don't forget, you also need to plan for standing around in the corrals freezing your ears off vs actually running!

SAFD: A little late in the week, but like some of you the hardest part of training now is fitting it in. I make running a priority which isn't always appreciated when the house is a disaster. I ran the Hartford Marathon on October 9th so am just now doing longer runs. I had a rough 10 mile run that became 4 with lots of walking. Legs were fine, just light headed. Ran 15 last weekend with no issue. Being in update NY I really do like this training weather, anywhere between 30 and 50 is perfect for me. Can't believe how close it is.

And don't forget, you also need to plan for standing around in the corrals freezing your ears off vs actually running!
That's why I like to use bigger headbands that can fit over my ears if necessary. I also like purchasing inexpensive jackets at Walmart/Target before the race and then discarding them once I no longer need them because I know that Disney donates those jackets so someone else will receive the benefit of what is essentially a brand new jacket.

With the weather swings, I’m now worried about fitting in everything in a carry-on. I’m doing one race, but that means planning for every possible scenario. I have UA cold gear, not cold gear, and everything I could possibly layer under a costume. Plus what about ponchos in case it rains? With everything that I might need for the race and before/after, I may actually have to check luggage for once!

With the weather swings, I’m now worried about fitting in everything in a carry-on. I’m doing one race, but that means planning for every possible scenario. I have UA cold gear, not cold gear, and everything I could possibly layer under a costume. Plus what about ponchos in case it rains? With everything that I might need for the race and before/after, I may actually have to check luggage for once!

I could never fit all my Dopey gear into a carry-on, but I have found the vacuum bags you can get for clothes storage to be very helpful for condensing things down and minimizing the volume taken up in the suitcase. They work especially well for throwaway corral clothes.

I could never fit all my Dopey gear into a carry-on, but I have found the vacuum bags you can get for clothes storage to be very helpful for condensing things down and minimizing the volume taken up in the suitcase. They work especially well for throwaway corral clothes.

How do you find a vacuum to use them on the way back?

I have almost convinced myself that I am bringing max baggage with me, two carry ons and two suitcases. Between all the running clothes, the clothes to change into as soon as the run is over to get out of the sweaty clothes, clothes for the parks, three pairs of shoes, massage gun, TENS unit, going to be packing a lot of things. I feel like I am going to be doing what I always tell my wife what not to do.

How do you find a vacuum to use them on the way back?

If you use it primarily for corral throwaway clothes, you’ve got two scenarios:

1. You need them, so they get tossed at the start of the races and there’s no need to re-pack them at the end of the weekend
  2. You don’t need them, so you leave them vacuum sealed for the trip home
There are obviously conditions in between, but you’ll just have to squeeze as much air out manually if you re-pack in them for the trip home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter