Marathon Weekend 2022

I know this is a little off topic for this thread but I can't find any discussions about it and our trip revolves around MW 2022, so.... has it been discussed anywhere when the parks might require vaccinations like the cruise line? 5-11 year olds were just approved in Canada today and the roll out could cause it to take longer for them to be fully vaccinated than the January 13 date given for the cruise line. It could be unfortunate for international visitors if the parks followed suit and had such a close deadline basing it all off the approval in the US.
Disneyland could eventually have one if Orange County CA has a mandate like LA county does causing universal Hollywood to have one at present as for world nope… the only reason the cruise ships have one is cause they wouldn’t be able to dock at most ports without one

SAFD: Overall training has been going well - happy with my pace but seem to have "tweaked" my knee in the last week so adjusting my training accordingly. Weird coincidence that it's the same knee I hurt at the same point in my training in 2016 getting ready for the Goofy. In the words of Dr. Henry Jones Jr, "it's not the years, its the mileage"

If you use it primarily for corral throwaway clothes, you’ve got two scenarios:

1. You need them, so they get tossed at the start of the races and there’s no need to re-pack them at the end of the weekend
  2. You don’t need them, so you leave them vacuum sealed for the trip home
There are obviously conditions in between, but you’ll just have to squeeze as much air out manually if you re-pack in them for the trip home.
I’ve seen a few comments about throw aways. Never been that cold despite running a few races with snow on the ground. But wondering if there’s some disposable covers that can be purchased like they wrap around you after a race. Does anyone know of anything?

How many pairs of shoes does everyone bring? I tend to bring 3, one pair for the 5k and half, another for the 10k and full, and a third for walking (which are typically of a different type, I like Brooks adrenaline for running but the ghosts for walking). If you count Birkenstocks then I have a fourth for getting to the pool/hot tub.

I’ve seen a few comments about throw aways. Never been that cold despite running a few races with snow on the ground. But wondering if there’s some disposable covers that can be purchased like they wrap around you after a race. Does anyone know of anything?
Amazon has Mylar types.
That’s what Nike handed out when my wife did the women’s half in San Fran. Amazingly well done by Nike overall.

At the W&D half they told everyone to drop their mylar blankets before the start because they messed with the chip mats.
On a more personal note- buying them to toss quickly is a huge waste and increase in trash. They collect discarded clothes and donate them to shelters. Please consider this option to reduce waste as well as helping others that could really benefit from warm clothes.

runDisney handed out mylar "blankets" at the end of both the 10K and the half marathon at this month's Wine & Dine events.

I’ve seen a lot of comments from colder climate runners that they felt much colder than normal for the temps at Disney and chalked it up to the higher humidity resulting in the temp having more “bite”. Hopefully you’ll be fine, but I’d suggest being prepared just in case.

I tend to be susceptible to cold and start wearing tights, long sleeves and gloves in temps many here consider singlet weather. To help with this, I buy 10-packs of Mylar blankets on Amazon for ~$10. They’re not the warmest, but they get the job done in the corrals and they come in such small, compact packages that they fit easily in a pocket if they’re not needed. Even if you don’t want to hold onto an unused one through the race, you’re only out a dollar if you choose to toss it.

I’ve seen a lot of comments from colder climate runners that they felt much colder than normal for the temps at Disney and chalked it up to the higher humidity resulting in the temp having more “bite”. Hopefully you’ll be fine, but I’d suggest being prepared just in case.

I tend to be susceptible to cold and start wearing tights, long sleeves and gloves in temps many here consider singlet weather. To help with this, I buy 10-packs of Mylar blankets on Amazon for ~$10. They’re not the warmest, but they get the job done in the corrals and they come in such small, compact packages that they fit easily in a pocket if they’re not needed. Even if you don’t want to hold onto an unused one through the race, you’re only out a dollar if you choose to toss it.
This is all good information. Being from Michigan and work outside most of the year I’ve always said I’d prefer 20’s over 30’s because the moisture/humidity seems to be frozen. We will buy some Mylars just in case. For clarity does the Mylar help if there is no sun?

This is all good information. Being from Michigan and work outside most of the year I’ve always said I’d prefer 20’s over 30’s because the moisture/humidity seems to be frozen. We will buy some Mylars just in case. For clarity does the Mylar help if there is no sun?

Absolutely. It works by trapping your body’s heat and holding it in. No sun required. The downside is that windy conditions can render them much less effective unless you can get yourself wrapped up so that there’s no flapping.

Absolutely! I’m packing my running gear and layers, plus a couple items for every day clothes. If I go the checked luggage route, everything else goes in there. I figure I can bring my TENS and Epsom salts with that, plus a small fan for white noise. I can at least try to have everything like at home before a race.

I am also a white noise sleeper. I have a small white noise machine at home I used to take with me. It doesn’t take much room at all. But what i find now that is more convenient is that I downloaded an app called WhiteNoiseHD on my iPad. I put that on the fan noise setting, put the iPad on the nightstand near the bed, and turn up the volume on my iPad. Works pretty well.

How many pairs of shoes does everyone bring? I tend to bring 3, one pair for the 5k and half, another for the 10k and full, and a third for walking (which are typically of a different type, I like Brooks adrenaline for running but the ghosts for walking). If you count Birkenstocks then I have a fourth for getting to the pool/hot tub.

That is the same game plan I have. 2 pairs for the Dopey and a pair for the parks.

Absolutely. People see the raw numbers and think it will feel nice. Usually, it does feel pretty nice once you are running, but you can't ignore the corral wait time which is significant. And the corrals are in a huge open parking lot with no surrounding structures to break the wind. Every race I have done at disney has come with a pretty cutting wind in the morning. If you take the time to do a warmup and don't have throwaways to keep those muscles warm, you will be completely cooled down by the time you start.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter