Marathon Weekend 2022

SAFD:
My first Disney running event was in 2006 with the 1/2 marathon, well before the official "RunDisney" branding. If memory serves me correctly this was the first year of the Goofy Challenge and separation of the 1/2 and full marathon to Saturday/Sunday. We've been going back ever since and only missed the 2017 1/2 marathon due to weather and the 2021 MW for obvious reasons, although we did travel during what would have been MW weekend! I treated myself to my one and only marathon in 2010 and lucky for me [insert sarcasm] they introduced icy conditions to the mix which plays to my strengths as a hockey player! "Caution skaters runners, water stations are iced over." And no, powdered powerade does not melt ice.

It's been fun and interesting to watch the MW weekend and events evolve over the last 15 years. From the days where the expo was in one building to now using 3 buildings, the added races and challenges, and the crowds in general! From the moment you step in your home airport and see dozens of runners to arrival where the throngs multiply. I have to say my favorite part of MW is the overall atmosphere of nerves, apprehension, comfort from other runners and non-runners leading up to
accomplishment at all levels.

I'm cautiously optimistic for 2022 MW but not sure we'll be back to the levels we saw prior to the pandemic. That's all for now! No pet pictures from me this week!

For this week's SAFD, how did you come to runDisney and what's been your experience with it so far? (Also, newcomers please feel free to keep answering the "get to know you" question from last week.)

My wife ran the half in 2005 while we were dating. When we came back from Russia in 2009, we decided to sign us and her parents up for a race in 2010 as it gave us an excuse to go to Disney while at our place in Florida. The three of them signed up for the half, and I signed up for Goofy. Only her dad and I ran, though. Disney on Ice was a bit too much for the others. As part of preparing myself for Goofy, I found the WISH board here. It’s where the talking about running lived before we got our own board. Still a fun place to visit for motivation and inspiration for getting & being healthy.

https://www.disboards.com/forums/w-i-s-h.59/

Safd:. I am a newcomer to run Disney. When I started searching for my birthday trip for this year (never done a bday trip before, but really wanted to for my 40th birthday), I was originally going to do a cruise, but I realized early on with Covid that wasn't going to be possible, so decided on a full week at Disney World. My birthday is Jan 8, so I thought it might be fun to sign my daughter up for a kids race while we were there that weekend.

Once the races went virtual, I signed her up for the 200m race. Then I thought, maybe we could all join in, so asked my wife and she said let's do it. So I signed myself up for the regular 5k and her for the Castaway Cay 5k. We walked the full distance, but we completed our first race. Looking forward to possibly another round in 2022. 🤞

For this week's SAFD, how did you come to runDisney and what's been your experience with it so far? (Also, newcomers please feel free to keep answering the "get to know you" question from last week.)
My cousin did Dopey the first few years and I had heard about it through her. I had never run before and thought it would be a great excuse for a Disney trip. So in 2015 I ran the WDW 10K. I was hooked. I’m now 25 races in (27 if you count the two WDW virtual races I did this year). Certainly there are some things Disney could improve but overall I love every minute of it.

In 2008, I turned 50 and decided to take up running at the start of that year. I guess as motivation, I picked a race to train for/run. So I ended up finding the Minnie 15k, held in May. I know my BIL did probably the first or second Marathon in 94 or 95, so I guess I must have known there were Disney races. I found disboards at the same time when it was the old WISH group (who still meet in dwindling numbers over MW)

From the 15k in 2008, I did the Half in 2009 and then the full in 2010 (Personally, the race conditions for Disney on Ice were right up my alley, but the waiting around was nasty) Since then I have done Dopey and Goofy a couple of times, Princess, DL half, Race for the Taste, Chip and Dale Marathon Relay (yes, 3-4 defunct races, but no you can't pin the Star Wars changes on me! ;) ). I would gladly go back to Disney for a unique race and just the "normality" of a hugely crowded race weekend (like '22 we all hope), but I don't expect to be a race regular.

SAFD:
I was celebrating my 35 birthday marathon weekend 2016 when I learned the buses were so slow because of the “races.” It wasn’t until the airport on the way home that I started chatting with a runner who filled me in on all of the excitement. Since I was returning in November, I set my goal to run W&D HM having NEVER ran before! Well C’est la vie! 5 years later and the BIG 4-0 (or I’d like to think 26), I have 3 marathons, a dopey, plus many other race weekends and distances under my Mickey ears. Dopey 2022 here we come!

I don't actually remember how I discovered runDisney. But I was just contemplating starting running when I discovered it, so I wanted to sign up for a race as motivation. Marathon Weekend was the only weekend that I knew I could make the timing work, so I decided to sign up for the 5K for Marathon Weekend 2015 ... but by the time I was able to get on the computer to register, it was sold out. On a crazy whim a few months later I decided to register for Princess Weekend 5K even though I knew I probably wouldn't be able to go, but somehow we made it work, and that started the addiction.

In total I've done 4 5Ks (Princess Weekend 2015 & 2020 and Marathon Weekend 2016 & 2019), 2 10Ks (Marathon Weekend 2016 & 2019), 1 Half (Princess Weekend 2020) and 1 marathon (Marathon Weekend 2019).

SAFD: Our first experience was in 2014 with the Tower of Terror 10 miler, at the time were were only doing 10 milers (DC Cherry Blossom 10 Miler every year). We were very intimidated by the running crowds in our area but knew we wanted to push ourselves to go the distance and decided that Disney, our favorite place, was the perfect place to do our first Marathon (which was MW 2017). When we told people we were training for a marathon they immediately asked "which one", we would say "Disney" and then came their subtle laughs, to which we always replied, a marathon is still 26.2 miles no matter where you run it (but it's definitely more fun at Disney).

When we told people we were training for a marathon they immediately asked "which one", we would say "Disney" and then came their subtle laughs, to which we always replied, a marathon is still 26.2 miles no matter where you run it (but it's definitely more fun at Disney).

They wouldn’t scoff if they had to run through the Ninth Circle of Hell (aka ESPN WWoS).

SAFD: Disney had a booth at the Peachtree Road Race expo in 1997, and my roommate and I decided to sign up for the inaugural WDW half which took place in 1998. I ran the half ten years straight but ended my streak before Disney started recognizing perfects. The 2010 WDW marathon was my first, and the 2020 WDW marathon was my 75th (and last). I much preferred the frigid 2010 race to the hot/humid 2020 race. I think I ran the full five times in total, added another half or two to my original ten, ran both the Disneyland Half and Tinker Bell several times (was TB perfect), and also have done an assortment of other WDW races (Princess, Race for the Taste 10k, Tower of Terror 13K, Chip & Dale, Wine & Dine).

Currently wearing my 1999 WDW Half race shirt (cotton, of course).

Last edited:
SAFD:

I’ve rehashed my story of finding runDisney numerous times but it’s a story I don’t mind telling. Early August 2011, my sister had just had her second baby in April and was looking for some motivation to get rid of some of the baby weight. One of her friends had run a Disney Half Marathon (not sure which weekend, we hadn’t been to Disney since the mid-90’s and had no idea running there was even a thing you could do). Anyway, she had decided this was something she was interested in as motivation but was looking for someone to go with her.

Step in her about to be 30, never run 50 meters let alone a mile, 260+ lb. brother. We were at a golf scramble with much of our extended family when she brought this up and the reactions when I volunteered, uh, let’s just say they they were skeptical at best, straight up unkind at worst. I had always lamented my size and this was a chance to do something about it and have some genuine motivation (the other primary one was being able to go to Disney with my 2 year old nephew for his first ever trip; we hadn’t been Disney goers, but the specialness of a first trip to Disney was still ingrained in my mind). Fortunately, the rD and running boom had not yet hit full force and registering for the Marathon Weekend Half in late August/early September was still possible.

I won’t sugarcoat my training or first race but I finished and it was one of the proudest moments of my life. During that weekend in January 2012 we were inundated by all the talk around us of the Marathon and *gasp* Goofy Challenge and plenty of “only” talk. Rather than look on it negatively (and, unfortunately, some of it was intentionally negative rather than unwitting) we looked at it as more motivation to come back the next year and run the Marathon and the year after to run Goofy (which became the inaugural Dopey).

To my great dismay, I lost my Perfect Dopey last Marathon Weekend when I was unable to start due to blisters. The blisters were merely the final straw on a camel’s back ravaged by poor training and eating habits over the previous couple years. I had barely managed to limp home the 2018 and 2019 Marathons. On a much brighter note, my sister is still Perfect Dopey and hope springs eternal for me that whenever live Marathon Weekend comes back that I will redeem myself and run better than ever. I am greatly looking forward to that.

Safd:. I am a newcomer to run Disney. When I started searching for my birthday trip for this year (never done a bday trip before, but really wanted to for my 40th birthday), I was originally going to do a cruise, but I realized early on with Covid that wasn't going to be possible, so decided on a full week at Disney World. My birthday is Jan 8, so I thought it might be fun to sign my daughter up for a kids race while we were there that weekend.

Once the races went virtual, I signed her up for the 200m race. Then I thought, maybe we could all join in, so asked my wife and she said let's do it. So I signed myself up for the regular 5k and her for the Castaway Cay 5k. We walked the full distance, but we completed our first race. Looking forward to possibly another round in 2022. 🤞
This year is my 40th too, but we will wait until after my birthday (it is in March) for our trip. Running the virtual races has been a good way to celebrate!

Two SAFD from me as I was late to the party:

Belated About me: I live in MN with my husband and daughter. No pets, but love the pics! I have a job that keeps me busy during the pandemic and look forward to my escapes again once things feel right for me to travel.

RunDisney history: pretty new to the game! I have done virtual races in the past (the 5K series for the last two years) and did my first in-person 5K right before all of this for the Princess Weekend 2020. I have done at least one virtual event for the last few events. Did my first half in 10 years tested for the virtual Star Wars. Hoping to do many in-person events in the future!

For this week's SAFD, how did you come to runDisney and what's been your experience with it so far?

I'm pretty sure runDisney came on to my radar because of social media - following Disney Instagram accounts. I've exercised off and on for years and thought a Disney race would be a good motivator to stick with it (the treadmill was always my main form of exercise). I've never been athletic, coordinated, etc. so the idea of doing a race was honestly kind of a pipe dream for me. Between lack of discipline and lack of confidence, I never allowed myself to sign up for a race.

I registered for the 2019 virtual Star Wars Half and used it as motivation to go to the gym. I let myself complete it over the course of multiple days and was excited when I got the medal in the mail! Once again though, I fell off the wagon and didn't exercise for a long time afterward.

When Covid hit last March, I started walking around my neighborhood - like a LOT - because I wasn't doing anything or going anywhere, so why not? I decided to complete a local 5K associated with a big Half Marathon that happens in Indy every year when it went virtual. That inspired me to look for other virtual races. I thought since I was walking so much, I should try and get some more bling! haha I signed up for the runDisney 5K summer series last year because those medals were AMAZING to me. One day when I was out on a walk, I ended up going for 6 miles (which was a lot for me). I realized I was nearly halfway to a half marathon and began to wonder if I could complete a half marathon walking.

I had developed some knee and hip issues last year. Thankfully my PT friend helped me with my hip issue and it's all better, but I still have some work to do on my knee. The knee keeps me from adding running into my walks, so the idea of doing a half marathon just walking was pretty daunting. When the Wine and Dine went virtual, I decided I was going to sign up for the half and give walking it a go. If worse came to worse, I could divide up the distance again.

I ended up working up toward the half marathon and when it came time to complete, I was able to do it all at once (3:22:10 - but who's counting) I was super duper proud and instantly ready to sign up for another race. All I could think about was how much more awesome it would be to complete a race at Disney World!

When Marathon Weekend, Princess Half and Star Wars Weekend went virtual, I signed up for those as well. I completed the 5K, 10K and Half in my neighborhood during Marathon Weekend this year. (just got my medals this week!) Next month I'm signed up for the same races for Princess. I signed up for the Star Wars Virtual Half and my sister (who isn't a racer) and I are going to do the Star Wars 5K together.

I keep saying that I'm probably the only person in the world happy that races went virtual! If they hadn't, I'm not sure I would have ever signed up and attempted to do another half marathon. Now I KNOW I can do it! The Marathon Weekend Half was a lot harder than the Wine and Dine for me (hello, 29* Indiana January), but for some reason when I finished, I couldn't stop wondering if maybe I could complete a whole marathon walking. The prospect of spending 7 hours walking a race is still pretty intimidating, but I feel like it's possible in a way I would never have imagined a year ago!

I'm hopeful to continue working on my knee this year, but I'm going to continue training for the time being as if I'm going to walk an entire marathon in 2022. I've already mentally signed up for Marathon Weekend and got my husband's blessing to ACTUALLY sign up if I'm able to get a spot when registration opens. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will happen in person next year and I'll be able to participate!

Last edited:
SAFD from last week: my name is Marcia and I am an attorney from California. I am a widowed crazy cat mom and am down to just one little “reindeer” (a spoiled little cat named Donner 🐈‍⬛ ).

SAFD today: my first Disney race was the Disneyland Half in 2009. I hated the whole experience, but I couldn’t resist the inaugural Tinker Bell Half in 2012. I’ve been a devoted Run Disney fan ever since. My first trip to Disneyworld was for Goofy 2013. I thought I was one and done, but then they came up with the Dopey Challenge, so of course I had to do it and now I’m Perfectly Dopey forever!

SAFD:
I learned about runDisney in 2018 from a podcast. I was not a runner and my only exercise at the time was walking my dogs. However, the thought of challenging my forty-something self with a race and then getting to enjoy Disney afterward sounded amazing. I gave myself about a year to get in shape and completed my first half in 2019 (Star Wars). I was registered to do my first full this year at Disney, a distance that I never thought I'd ever consider. That would have been awesome, but at least I'm registered for a local full in April that I think may happen. Hopefully, I'll be doing my first Disney marathon next year.

SAFD:
I first learned of runDisney in 2014. I had just started running (or I referred to it as a fast waddle lol) and completed my first 5K. My wife has always been a Disney fan and wants to go as much as she can. When I completed the 5K, she found out about runDisney, and this was the tie that hooked me - putting a healthy aspect on life and going to Disney as the reward. Due to my work schedule, the only race we could do was Wine&Dine. We signed up to do the 5K in 2015, and I became hooked. We were cheering people for the half of a half that year (the last year for the Challenge on the same day). I started thinking I could do the challenge. I did my first half marathon in 2016 in Pittsburgh with my brother in law, and that's when I started looking at doing the weekend challenge. In 2017 I signed up for all three races and it became our annual birthday, anniversary and Christmas gifts to each other. I've since done 2018 and 2019, along with doing the 2019 Star Wars Challenge and Kessel Challenge. My wife does the 5K races with me and then she loves doing the Chear Squad for the other two races (and we all know how much we love the cheering crowds!)

I never considered marathon week due to my work schedule, but in 2021, it would work, so I signed up for the Dopey Challenge. It'd be my first marathon, and my thought is go all out and do Dopey. Unfortunately, that didn't happen, and have my eyes on 2022.

I can honestly say runDisney has turned our lives around and can't wait to get down there again. And we look forward to being able to meet up with you all at Hurricane Hanna's!

SAFD:
I was in a meeting at work, sometime in 2013. Our director handed out 3x5 cards and asked us each to write 3 goals. I wrote run a marathon by 2015 on one of them. To be honest I had no plan, was only running occasionally and am not sure I was committed at all. She then had us share in small groups and then when we were all back together asked if anyone wanted to share. A member of my group shared they wanted to run a triathlon. And when that elicited lots of interest they said well Charlie wants to run a marathon... I thought crap! Now I really have to do this!

A few weeks later I read an article about runDisney. I figured the Disney Marathon would be the way to go; I love Disney. I tried to sign up for the 2015 Dopey. I actually waited until I got home from work to register! Needless to say I ran the 2015 Goofy. It was my first marathon and I fell in love with runDisney! Since I have run the 2016, 17, 18, 20 Dopey and the 21 virtual Dopey.

Hoping with my whole heart for the 2022 MW to happen! Hope to see many of you there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter