Marathon Weekend 2021

I wish Disney would create a market place where someone who signed up for the race who is no longer able to run it can transfer the bib to another individual who is able to run. Disney would be able to control the price so there is no upcharging. Broad Street in Philadelphia does this and it allows more people to actually run. I don’t see why Disney couldn’t do this, with a slight upcharge, say $15-$20 per bib. Especially this year since there are probably many people who panicked and bought bibs who in all honestly will not run.

I wish Disney would create a market place where someone who signed up for the race who is no longer able to run it can transfer the bib to another individual who is able to run. Disney would be able to control the price so there is no upcharging. Broad Street in Philadelphia does this and it allows more people to actually run. I don’t see why Disney couldn’t do this, with a slight upcharge, say $15-$20 per bib. Especially this year since there are probably many people who panicked and bought bibs who in all honestly will not run.

The problem is this approach would not deter or prevent price gouging for bibs. All a speculator has to do is post something on Craigslist or eBay a listing along the lines of “Buy this collectible Disney pin for [insert outrageous sum] and I’ll include transfer of a RunDisney bib.” The scalpers would be incentivized to buy up the bibs, especially the less expensive more popular bibs like the 5k & 10k, creating even more supply issues for runners.

The problem is this approach would not deter or prevent price gouging for bibs. All a speculator has to do is post something on Craigslist or eBay a listing along the lines of “Buy this collectible Disney pin for [insert outrageous sum] and I’ll include transfer of a RunDisney bib.” The scalpers would be incentivized to buy up the bibs, especially the less expensive more popular bibs like the 5k & 10k, creating even more supply issues for runners.
Not unless there was an anonymous component to it where there is no interaction between buyer and seller.

Agree completely! I usually volunteer and work at the EXPO. The only way I'd pre-order is if I couldn't make it to the EXPO at all the first day! When I have to direct people to the LOOOOONG pre-order line, they look at me like I'm crazy because it takes just as long if not longer than the huge regular line!

I got to the expo on Thursday afternoon this year and there appeared to be an ample supply of everything, including preorder stuff.

One tip for preorders... While you do not receive your AP or DVC etc. discount (and you may be able to purchase those items at the expo with your discount), there is a separate entrance for guests with preorders. So, if you like to visit the expo when it first opens, you could avoid a lot of time waiting in line by using the preorder line.

For example, last year I attended the expo when it first opened. There were maybe 5 parties in the preorder line in front of me. A CM checked each party’s ID against her list of guests with preorders and then let them into the expo (where there was another line to pickup your preorder merch, although you were not required to do that first.) It took just a few minutes for me to get in. I never even saw the line for the regular expo entrance. A friend without preorder items arrived after me and it took her at least 30 min to get into the expo.

So, preordering at least one item might be worth loosing out on your discount to get into the expo faster.

Are there pictures of the items for purchase? I don't think it is my web browser, but everything has a generic Disney shopping Bag as the picture.

The amount of $$$ for these items is not cheap. A picture would help make the decision easier.

• Limited Edition Magic Band - Obviously a magic band, but what does it look like? What is on it?
  • Commemorative Bundle
  • Weekend Jumbo Pin
  • Dopey Challenge Pin Complete Pin Bundle
  • Dopey Challenge Runner Bundle
  • Goofy Challenge Runner Bundle
  • Full Marathon Runner Bundle
  • Half Marathon Runner Bundle
  • 10K Runner Bundle
  • 5K Runner Bundle
  • Passholder Bundle Option 1
  • Passholder Bundle Option 2
  • Passholder Bundle Option 3
  • Passholder Weekend Jacket
  • Weekend Jacket

Are there pictures of the items for purchase? I don't think it is my web browser, but everything has a generic Disney shopping Bag as the picture.

View attachment 495033

The amount of $$$ for these items is not cheap. A picture would help make the decision easier.

• Limited Edition Magic Band - Obviously a magic band, but what does it look like? What is on it?
  • Commemorative Bundle
  • Weekend Jumbo Pin
  • Dopey Challenge Pin Complete Pin Bundle
  • Dopey Challenge Runner Bundle
  • Goofy Challenge Runner Bundle
  • Full Marathon Runner Bundle
  • Half Marathon Runner Bundle
  • 10K Runner Bundle
  • 5K Runner Bundle
  • Passholder Bundle Option 1
  • Passholder Bundle Option 2
  • Passholder Bundle Option 3
  • Passholder Weekend Jacket
  • Weekend Jacket
They usually do add photos of some of the items later on.

I got to the expo on Thursday afternoon this year and there appeared to be an ample supply of everything, including preorder stuff.

Yeah, it just depends each time on whether or not you want a specific item or size! For Marathon weekend, you can usually get away with second day as well before stuff runs out! Most of the other race weekends, if you get there the night of the second day of EXPO (Princess 2020), there were a few things gone in my Daughters size that were there the day before when I volunteered!

Does anyone know what the runDisney Magicband looks like? I am a little intrigued by it. But would rather not spend 40 bucks when we get a band with a resort stay if I don’t like the runDisney one.

It would be nice, but the reality is that there is little financial benefit for Disney to do this and it becomes a huge logistical hassle. Races of this size know that on a certain percentage will not show up, so they make up for it by selling more bibs at the outset.

Love these, hope 2021's MB is as cool since I did preorder it. I went ahead and preordered the marathon package with logo pin, medal pin, and magnet too. Since I'm "only" running the marathon and we prefer to have the majority of our park time after the race, I won't be at the expo until Saturday. This way for sure I've got the MB and some pins, and pins are the souvenir I tend to care most about. It's a little frustrating, though, not knowing what they're going to look like when making that decision. That's one of the big reasons I've passed up the jacket, tbh.

Meanwhile...has anyone else started their costume? No? Just me? Worst case scenario I wear it for the 2022 WDW marathon, and it's nice to have a project to be excited about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter