Marathon Weekend 2021

I'm late to posting about yesterday's experience, but thought I'd share.
I was on my way to a volunteer shift at the food shelf so I only had my iPhone. I refreshed a few seconds before registration time and got the spinning logo...for the next 28 minutes. Everything but the full was sold out once I could register. I was planning on signing up for my first Dopey, with Goofy as my second choice. Instead, I registered for the marathon.
I was super frustrated for a couple hours, then came to terms with it as maybe being a better option for me this year, then went back to being kinda frustrated today. :headache: :tilt: :rolleyes: Hopefully more spots open up in the challenges, but if not, I'll be okay.

I'm late to posting about yesterday's experience, but thought I'd share.
I was on my way to a volunteer shift at the food shelf so I only had my iPhone. I refreshed a few seconds before registration time and got the spinning logo...for the next 28 minutes. Everything but the full was sold out once I could register. I was planning on signing up for my first Dopey, with Goofy as my second choice. Instead, I registered for the marathon.
I was super frustrated for a couple hours, then came to terms with it as maybe being a better option for me this year, then went back to being kinda frustrated today. :headache: :tilt: :rolleyes: Hopefully more spots open up in the challenges, but if not, I'll be okay.

Sorry you had a crummy experience. If it makes you feel better I am crazy impressed by anyone who can run a full marathon and wish I was good enough to do that! You're gonna be great.

I’m supposed to run my first Boston too. I ran an amazing fall race so I’ve got a qualifier for 2021 already. If the September race gets canceled and we get deferred to 2021 I guess I only get to run once instead of twice, which is a bummer. I’m running the Disney Marathon for the first time (I’ve done 3 halfs) so I’m really hoping it doesn’t get canceled as well. I started training for Boston this week (again) and it’s so hard to get in the right mindset knowing it’s probably not happening.

Not sure if it has been discussed here but do we think they will not have kids races? Or will change them? They are listed as "check back for updates" on the website.

Also going through the pre-purchase items. They have changed some things up. They have a passholder jacket on there. Thats a new thing. They also only have the $300 Dopey pin bundle. They used to have just the logo pin pack which was 6 pins rather than 18 like the $300 bundle.

Also going through the pre-purchase items. They have changed some things up. They have a passholder jacket on there. Thats a new thing. They also only have the $300 Dopey pin bundle. They used to have just the logo pin pack which was 6 pins rather than 18 like the $300 bundle.

I noticed the AP jacket too. I wonder how it differs from the regular jacket, aside from some awkward passholder logo.

Question about pre-purchased items, can you go back into registration and buy something? I was in such freak out mode registering my neighbor that I didn’t ask if she wanted anything for her first dopey! Well.... she does!!!!

I registered my DW, my DD, and me at the same time for the races on Tuesday. In a mad rush to get things done, I used my home address for everyone's registration, but my DD moved out of state for college, and changed her license to match her apartment.

Will this cause a problem when picking up her bib?

I registered my DW, my DD, and me at the same time for the races on Tuesday. In a mad rush to get things done, I used my home address for everyone's registration, but my DD moved out of state for college, and changed her license to match her apartment.

Will this cause a problem when picking up her bib?
No issue at all. She will need her photo ID but they do not check the address.

The Marathon this year was my first (both runDisney race and first full Marathon), and in spite of the heat and struggling with IT band issues that set in during training around Thanksgiving, it was an amazing experience. I figured there was a chance I might do it again some day. Four months later, some day has a date in January 2021... along with the three dates before it. I must be insane! (Or Dopey!)

My wife and I rented DVC points and stayed in a studio at SS in January. Looking at possibly doing it again for next January, although the topic of buying into DVC has crept up agian. I just don't think there would be time to decide to buy a contract, close on it, and book for January while there is still anything left. Any DVC owners out there have any thoughts on that?

Not sure if it has been discussed here but do we think they will not have kids races? Or will change them? They are listed as "check back for updates" on the website.

It's an interesting question. Adults can make an informed decisiion about participating but kids really can't. So I think those are on a wait and see timetable. probably whenever they make the decision about releasing more bibs is when they'll decide on kids races.

Question about pre-purchased items, can you go back into registration and buy something? I was in such freak out mode registering my neighbor that I didn’t ask if she wanted anything for her first dopey! Well.... she does!!!!

As someone else has said, you can, but your neighbor might want to wait. There was a ton of preorder stuff available at the expo, as well as items that I preferred to the preorder items. If I could do it over, I’d definitely wait for the expo.

That said, there’s something to be said for guaranteeing your purchase if your neighbor is concerned about having a jacket or whatever.

One other minor factor to consider if you are AP or DVC. You get a discount if you buy at the expo but not if you buy ahead of time. If you wait you may end up having to buy on eBay when you get home (ask me how I know :confused3 )

As someone else has said, you can, but your neighbor might want to wait. There was a ton of preorder stuff available at the expo, as well as items that I preferred to the preorder items. If I could do it over, I’d definitely wait for the expo.

That said, there’s something to be said for guaranteeing your purchase if your neighbor is concerned about having a jacket or whatever.

Agree completely! I usually volunteer and work at the EXPO. The only way I'd pre-order is if I couldn't make it to the EXPO at all the first day! When I have to direct people to the LOOOOONG pre-order line, they look at me like I'm crazy because it takes just as long if not longer than the huge regular line!

As a successful registrant (congrats!) can you tell me what are all the questions that need to be addressed to complete the registration?
POT which could be added later
Shirt size?
Do you have to order your merch during registration? Like the pins and jackets or can you come back after you are registered?
Thanks for any insight! Going to Princess half registration next month

Hi! Best of luck next month! If you have an account on the rundisney website, they'll mostly have the information you need to fill out stored - your name, address, etc.

I think the only things extra were POT and t-shirt size, both of which can be updated later though it doesn't add much extra time to throw the shirt size in. You can add march later. Be ready to add an emergency contact as well, then they'll have you check off a few things, like if you're DVC, military, disability, etc. Then they'll ask if you've run other races before and if you've run this distance before. I think that's all they ask! And it's mostly clicking yes or no, so it's quick.

I'm not planning on 2021 Marathon weekend so I didn't worry about registration. Maybe in a future year I can come back for marathon weekend. Congrats to everyone who got in and hopefully they will release more spots later.

I wonder if they set the registration amount based on the number of bibs they can "safely" offer based on projections of what January will look like today. Then as we get closer they can release more bibs
if circumstances change including the usual ability to upgrade to Goofy or Dopey.

I have certainly seen races where preordering merchandise such as jackets was the only way to get such an item. Sometimes pins and magnets sell out quickly too. On the other hand, Disney Visa or AP discounts do not apply with preorders, but do apply when at the expo. For me it comes down to how much do I really want the item in question.
One other minor factor to consider if you are AP or DVC. You get a discount if you buy at the expo but not if you buy ahead of time. If you wait you may end up having to buy on eBay when you get home (ask me how I know :confused3 )
Ebay can be a two edged sword. In 2017, the Star Wars Light Side shoe ornament sold out long before I got to the Expo. But I did manage to get the 2017 Dark Side shoe ornament at the Expo so I broke my rule about ebay items like that because it was my first Kessel Run. Conversely, my little sister was able to buy the Dopey I did it shirt for 2019 months after the race for less than what she would have paid at the Expo.

I find this interesting, as parents registering might want their kids to participate too. I know my whole family including my 3 kids, are running the 5K, but all are old enough for the 5K and one too old for kids races. I'm happy they're all old enough, and will deal with a moderate to slow pace since I'm running Dopey, but I can see the frustration of not being able to have kids participate when you're already there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter