Marathon Weekend 2020

I am thinking about doing this after the 5K. My plan was to finish and take the resort bus to Swolphin/Boardwalk/Beach/Yacht Club and walk from there. However, I think I read somewhere that the busses don’t leave the race area until 6:30? So I am not sure about making it to DHS by 7AM. Uber’ing to DHS might work better. Where does one get an Uber in the EPCOT parking lot after the race?

I will be driving in and have a mini van. I might be interested in hauling a few over to DHS after the 5k.

I have a question though. If I have fast passes for EPCOT can I still get in the virtual queue for RoTR?

Late to the party, but I've been following along in bits and pieces over the last few weeks! Looking so forward to Marathon Weekend! So somehow, after our November half marathon, DH decided that he was interested in running the WDW marathon (his 1st). This is a man who said he'd never run a marathon and who does not share my love of the Mouse very much, but I chose not to ask too many ?s about his decision, found him a bib via a TA b/c they were already sold out at that point, and here we are! WOO!! Excited!! :)

@DopeyBadger thank you for putting this together and for another awesome training plan!

Race - 10k
Name - Michelle
Dis'er name - Sourire
Clothing/ Costume - Mickey or Minnie (depending on which one mom wants to be!)
Corral - ??
Pre-race Meetup? - Yes
Early/ Late arriver - Early
Front, Middle or Back of Corral - Front (Mom is going for a 10k PR, and I am supposed to be pacing her to this goal!)
Expected pace - 12:30/mi

Race - Full Marathon
Name - Michelle
Dis'er name - Sourire
Clothing/ Costume - regular running attire (probably some kind of RunDisney shirt and my trusty Minnie sweaty band)
Corral - D (but probably E to start with DisPals!)
Pre-race Meetup? - Yes
Early/ Late arriver - Early
Front, Middle or Back of Corral - Middle
Expected pace - 11/mi

I will be driving in and have a mini van. I might be interested in hauling a few over to DHS after the 5k.

I have a question though. If I have fast passes for EPCOT can I still get in the virtual queue for RoTR?

You can leave and come back into DHS without it affecting your boarding group. Heck that’s my plan. Get the boarding group and then go straight back to the hotel and shower before going to Cape May for breakfast. (Assuming lll have a slightly later BG) BGs are not the same as FPs. My friend and I had fully booked FPs for the park that day and had no problems getting our BGs on the 17th.

Sorry I’m late but here it goes

Race- 5k
Name- Melanie
Dis’er Name- MommaoffherRocker
Clothing/Costume- undecided
Corral- ??
Pre-Race meet up- yes
Early/Late arrival- Early
Front, Middle or Back of Corral- Back
Expected Pace- 14 mm

Race- 10k
Name- Melanie
Clothing/Costume- Donald
Corral- ??
Pre-Race meet up- yes
Early/Late Arrival- Early
Expected Pace- 14mm

Race- Half
Name- Melanie
Clothing/Costume- Purple top, Yellow Skirt & flower head band
Corral- E
Pre-Race meet up- yes
Early/Late Arrival- Early
Expected Pace- 14mm?

For the Full, Me and Mike will be cheering from the path on the side of BWV. Find us for a special fuel stop, I’ll try to post a picture of our sign before the race.

Here’s a random question I don’t think I’ve seen asked - any sense of the average mileage spacing between characters in the marathon? Or is it just all over the place and unpredictable?

My last long run is tomorrow morning. I am still pampering my hip so the use of the word run is not totally accurate, let’s just call it time on feet. But looking at a long effort and need to be home and ready to go for the day by 9am. So this will be similar to race days in that way! Happy to share that the hip is feeling better. Will be smart tomorrow so it stays hat way. Can’t believe we are little more than a week away from the expo!

Hey all! I went through the map and decided to make a cheat sheet of bathrooms in the parks. In 2018, I found myself waiting for porta-potties for about 25 total minutes, it was a nightmare. I have no idea if all of these bathrooms will be open, but here is what I found on the course in case anyone is interested. All of the miles are guesses, not literal

Epcot 2 ½ - 3 ½
  • Enter: 2.75, right side, Image works or just after
  • 3.75 miles before Mexico turn left, bridge First aid baby station
Magic Kingdom 10 ½ - 11 ½
  • Tomorrowland Cosmic Ray’s café left 10.5 miles
  • Before mad tea party left Chesire Cat café 10.6ish
  • Past Belle Enchanted, right side Pinocchio, a little off course before prince charming carousel
  • Left at Diamond horseshoe, back in the hallway, Past liberty bell 10.8ish
  • Just past country bear jamboree, last building on Left, pecos bill 11.2ish*
  • As you veer left and then cross past splash mountain, turn left to Tortuga tavern
Animal Kingdom 16 ½ - 17 ½
  • 16.5ish Enter park, past Harambe, as you turn left , Caravan Stage Restroom on left, before UP
  • Expedition Everest companion restroom on left just before 17 miles
  • After Finding Nemo (17.1 miles) turn left to Theater in the Wild Restroom
  • Just before the exit at 17.25 miles restroom on right
Blizzard Beach 21.5 miles
  • Just past Tike’s Peak, cross the river, on the right bathrooms 21.2ish
  • Over river again, U curve (left, left), on the Right is Lottawatta
  • Just past Lottawatta on the Left is another called Dressing room Restroom
Hollywood Studios 23.5
  • Get to Hollywood tower of terror, on the left Hollywood terror restrooms 23.4
  • At the exit, restrooms near the skyliner on the left 23.6

So guess who never deletes her texts and still has the giant group chain from this last year with the characters and the miles?

To answer your question @JulieODC its hard to get an average on how far part they are but it looks like the longest no character stretch in 2019 was about 3.5 miles from the tail end of ESPN zone to DHS. For the most part characters were pretty close even outside the parks with the longer stretches being a mile maybe two tops with the exception of the stretch I mentioned above.

This also reminds me has there been any talk about doing this again this year?

@rteetz I actually just counted. There were 26 different character stops last year. And that’s not counting the multiple characters at one stop.

So guess who never deletes her texts and still has the giant group chain from this last year with the characters and the miles?

To answer your question @JulieODC its hard to get an average on how far part they are but it looks like the longest no character stretch in 2019 was about 3.5 miles from the tail end of ESPN zone to DHS. For the most part characters were pretty close even outside the parks with the longer stretches being a mile maybe two tops with the exception of the stretch I mentioned above.

This also reminds me has there been any talk about doing this again this year?

@rteetz I actually just counted. There were 26 different character stops last year. And that’s not counting the multiple characters at one stop.

Does Sarge not count as a character? He is always right in the middle of that WWoS to DHS stretch on his “hill”. I know he’s not a typical “stop and get a pic” character, so I guess it’s pretty grey as to whether he gets counted or not.

Does Sarge not count as a character? He is always right in the middle of that WWoS to DHS stretch on his “hill”. I know he’s not a typical “stop and get a pic” character, so I guess it’s pretty grey as to whether he gets counted or not.
I count him as part of my list.

Yesterday was supposed to be my last long run. After a crazy week at work and little sleep last week I was just drained and only did a little over 4 miles. I was hoping if I slept last night I could wake up and try today.
Nope, I woke up and don’t feel well at all. I’m going to try to it easy today. I am just hoping that getting sick now means I’ll be all better be our trip.

Reminding myself of this as I'm not a huge fan of Weather.com's prediction for Marathon day. I thought others might find it helpful as we're still more than 10 days out. Here's hoping it gets a bit colder!

"A seven-day forecast can accurately predict the weather about 80 percent of the time and a five-day forecast can accurately predict the weather approximately 90 percent of the time. However, a 10-day—or longer—forecast is only right about half the time." - SciJinks.Gov

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! We are less than 10 days away from the kickoff of Marathon Weekend!!!

There's been some chatter about characters already, so let's keep this going, Sundays are for Disney style. Which characters are you hoping to see on the course? Are there any you will absolutely stop for, regardless of your running plans? What are your favorite characters you've seen on the course in the past?

I don't have a huge bucket list of characters that I'm dying to see, but I'd definitely stop for Buzz and Stitch, maybe Maui? I'll stop for a Duck Tales themed stop if the theme song is playing because it's a banger. I'll stop for the Incredibles if I'm in my Mr. Incredible shirt, but I'm wearing that for the full and planning on hitting all of the stops, anyway.

The favorite character stop I've even seen - but didn't actually stop for - was during the 2019 half or full. It had three female villains (Maleficent, Queen of Hearts and the Queen from Snow White, maybe?), but what made it cool was they were blasting O Fortuna as I was running by, it was still dark and I think it was kind of foggy that morning. Made for a really cool experience.

Have a great week, everyone!

Fun question! We're slower, so we won't have time for too many picture stops, but I'm really hoping for a pic with Donald and Daisey before, during, or after. My favorite character growing up was Daisy (my older sister claimed Minnie as her own), and I will be Daisy for the marathon and my husband will be Donald.

I didn't take any character pics for the Princess Half this year, but I loved seeing the army man from Toy Story on the ramp and Mickey on the train station balcony entering the Magic Kingdom! I was also bummed not to see golf Goofy, Mickey, or the Genie, so I'm hoping one or all emerge for the Marathon.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! We are less than 10 days away from the kickoff of Marathon Weekend!!!

There's been some chatter about characters already, so let's keep this going, Sundays are for Disney style. Which characters are you hoping to see on the course? Are there any you will absolutely stop for, regardless of your running plans? What are your favorite characters you've seen on the course in the past?

I don't have a huge bucket list of characters that I'm dying to see, but I'd definitely stop for Buzz and Stitch, maybe Maui? I'll stop for a Duck Tales themed stop if the theme song is playing because it's a banger. I'll stop for the Incredibles if I'm in my Mr. Incredible shirt, but I'm wearing that for the full and planning on hitting all of the stops, anyway.

The favorite character stop I've even seen - but didn't actually stop for - was during the 2019 half or full. It had three female villains (Maleficent, Queen of Hearts and the Queen from Snow White, maybe?), but what made it cool was they were blasting O Fortuna as I was running by, it was still dark and I think it was kind of foggy that morning. Made for a really cool experience.

Have a great week, everyone!

I would stop for DuckTales. I didn't stop in 2018 because the line was insane and I was running with a friend. But I have a photo with Launchpad McQuack from the 2013 marathon. I heard he switched out with Darkwing Duck. I would stop for him - a part of my childhood!

I would stop for Maui because my 3yo would lose her mind if she saw a picture of her mom with Maui. Haha.

I would stop if they brought out Gidget or Monterey Jack from Rescue Rangers.

Basically anyone. Hahahaha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter