Marathon Weekend 2020

I’m amazed for the record! Did you completely crash when you got home? I understand your philosophy on it....it’s Disney...sleep later!
I almost bought the Sleepy Challenge shirt at the Expo (I slept while you ran) for the weekend after Dopey.

Nah. The next couple days (DATW and Universal) were at a much easier pace. Plus, no more early mornings.
It's amazing what being able to sleep in until a sane hour can do for your energy level in going to the parks.

I decided against dopey again because I have three small boys and it’s a lot for my dh. The training also takes up a lot of family time. I’d like to do it again sometime when my kids are older.
I remember a proud husband with his sign and kids during a race that read "0.0 I'm watching the kids while she runs"

I had a great weekend but I agree with other folks who have said that the weekend is very Dopey-centric.
I feel like the weekend is marathon centric, but if you're running Dopey than that decision defines your time in Disney World because of when you have to arrive, how early you have to get up, and the impact that has on your park time. Either less park time or less sleep.

I actually feel like I cheated by "only" doing Goofy. Walking around on Sunday with my Goofy medal I was asked many times "what is that medal for??" because so many more people had Dopey medals. I am most likely doing Dopey in 2020 and I think more to say I did it. But we will see how it goes.
I think the small number of Goofy only finishers plays a part in that too. I think I read less than 850 runners were Goofy only so I can see where only the Goofy medal would stand out. I chose to primarily wear my marathon medal since it was my first marathon and in a strange sense, I was happier about finishing the marathon than finishing Goofy/Dopey.

Stop it!!!

I’m only running goofy.
I’m only running goofy.
I’m only running goofy.
You're only running Goofy.

Hmm flight of passage opened 649 days ago and currently has a 165 minute wait. I'm sure 45 days after GE opens the interest will have worn down.

And 7DMT is how many years along(?) and still virtually FP or special event only for under 2 hour wait. (Probably edit that to under 1 hour, but it’s still a long wait)

I will say, regardless of the waits on the attractions, Pandora is traversable now. I’m less optimistic about how long it will take GE to get to that point. My only reason for optimism is that because it is supposed to be virtually identical on both coasts there might be some minimal crowd dispersion in that way.

Last edited:
I should save this for SAFD or closer to January, but how many of you are planning on skipping HS altogether marathon weekend to avoid the GE madness?

Right now, I’m leaning heavily:
Friday - MK
Saturday - AK
Sunday - MK
Monday - Epcot

(Yes, I’m an overplanner. Yes, I will mull this over for 9 months.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter