Well shoot! I’m on an airplane all day the 19th. Now I’m going to be worried about registering.

Speaking of race retreat, I'm looking for honest feedback about what's included with race retreat and whether or not it would conceivably be worth it for a runner in my situation, which I have outlined below.

I'm running Goofy or Dopey. It will also be my first marathon ever after 9 half marathons all at runDisney with 6 of those coming since 2015 and 4 of those 6 coming since 2017. I believe I can finish, but I know it will take a lot of hard work and a continued commitment to training.

Now for my estimated corral placement. My fastest race in the last 2 years is the 2017 Star Wars Light Side at Disneyland where I finished in 3:06. Let's assume that will be the time I use for corral placement. Based on that time, I'm basically hoping for not the last corral, but if that's where they place me, I know what I have to do.

1. Best guesses as to what time I would start the marathon are appreciated and I'm figuring I can finish the marathon in anywhere from 6 to 7 hours depending on photo stops, et all which I will skip if the line for the photo could risk being swept.

Would race retreat be of any substantial benefit to me or will my estimated slower pace make it so that I can't take use some of what I paid for?
Here's what I can tell you form my own experiences...
For the past 3 years, I've entered as my expected finish time for the marathon/Dopey the first time bracket that doesn't require PoT and have been placed in J for the marathon on its own 2016, G for Dopey 2017, and K for 2018. My start times were: 2016 6:06am, 2017 6:14am, 2018 6:20am. Took 6+ hours for each.

I used RR twice, both for PHMs in the past. It was okay, but not at all worth the cost to me. I haven't used it for any of my marathon/Dopey years and haven't missed it in he least. I can always find a place to sit, even out of the wind, and I don't care to take character pics before the race. I eat before leaving my room, and bring a granola bar to eat while waiting. After the race, I really just want to get back to my room to shower, stretch, eat and rest.

The July 17 early reg/ July 19 regular reg is going to be rough... coming on the heels of my big summer vacation, and within the same billing period for my credit card. I fully expect that statement to spontaneously combust upon opening, lol! And I have absolutely NO faith in MDE's ability to handle the crush. I want the 5K, 10K and full, so I think I'll aim for 10K first on July 17, then the marathon later in the day, and shoot for the 5K on July 19.

Yeah I am interested to see how that works and how soon that happens.

and what happens to people who ignore teh email and don't migrate. I don't think you could kick people out who registered but don't migrate and if you don't have to migrate why would you? Lots of questions on how this change to W&D will work.

and what happens to people who ignore teh email and don't migrate. I don't think you could kick people out who registered but don't migrate and if you don't have to migrate why would you? Lots of questions on how this change to W&D will work.

Yeah ... I'm really interested to see what happens with wine & dine. This has the potential to be a big mess.

Yeah ... I'm really interested to see what happens with wine & dine. This has the potential to be a big mess.

It really does. Obviously they wNt people to migrate to the new system. I can see it oing two ways. One eitehr allow either registration but offer some kind of perk for mirating to the new system or twowo if you don't migrate in advance you will have to do so at the expo costing you time

So 7 month DVC window for marathon weekend is June. Looks like I will gamble and book the (Aulani) DVC points I've been offered and wait a month for registration.

Since I am going to be training for Boston, I will look upon this as an opportunity to just come run in some warmer weather (which makes for a pricey training run, and no, I do not plan to tell my DH until after I've booked)

So 7 month DVC window for marathon weekend is June. Looks like I will gamble and book the (Aulani) DVC points I've been offered and wait a month for registration.

Since I am going to be training for Boston, I will look upon this as an opportunity to just come run in some warmer weather (which makes for a pricey training run, and no, I do not plan to tell my DH until after I've booked)

There are so many things I like in this post that I am sad I am only allowed to hit the "Like" button once.

Things I like about it:
We got DVC.
Marathon Weekend
Boston Marathon
Book a trip and ask questions later! The whole quote "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission." (I almost took this approach the other day and it would have been a crash and burn seeing things playing out now. lol ONE DAY thought I will do... for something like joining DVC lololol

I too worry about how MDE is going to handle the load and what the registration itself will look like. But I guess I will have the family make their accounts (they need to anyway) so I can link them with mine and then we'll be ready to go. Already have the DVC reservations done through a rental with the insurance to cover cancellation if needed to get Dopey through a travel agent.

Well, it is what it is.

It really does. Obviously they wNt people to migrate to the new system. I can see it oing two ways. One eitehr allow either registration but offer some kind of perk for mirating to the new system or twowo if you don't migrate in advance you will have to do so at the expo costing you time

I don’t really read it as necessary to link your W&D registration. I see it more as something you can link to your MDE account and it will show up there as a future event. It’s kind of like getting a hotel reservation from a TA and then putting the confirmation number in MDE. There may be benefits to doing so but no harm if not. Guess we’ll see though.

I don’t really read it as necessary to link your W&D registration. I see it more as something you can link to your MDE account and it will show up there as a future event. It’s kind of like getting a hotel reservation from a TA and then putting the confirmation number in MDE. There may be benefits to doing so but no harm if not. Guess we’ll see though.

If it's not mandatory why do it? The hotel registration you want to link so you can FP reservations, etc. So the question becomes outside of having photos auto-linked what would be the advantage of linking it?

If it's not mandatory why do it? The hotel registration you want to link so you can FP reservations, etc. So the question becomes outside of having photos auto-linked what would be the advantage of linking it?

I dont know if Disney would have thought of this, but ... if I could e-sign my waiver in advance and then just tap my magicband to grab my bib instead of having to show my id and physically printed waiver, I'd love that (for resort guests only, if course ... offsite guests would still have to show id, but maybe they could still e-sign the waiver).
But again ... I dont know that Disney would think of that. (Plus, you could have security issues with lost/stolen magicbands)

Interesting updates. I'll be interested to see what happens to our W&D registrations. Just another thing I gotta walk my mom through

I guess you could ask why not give people the option. Some people like to have all there trip info in one place so it allows the do so. Also allows Disney to connect more things to you for marketing, tracking etc. I guess my point was though that I don’t think it’s something to stress over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter