Marathon Weekend 2018

Has anyone experienced a big curveball on their way to 2018 marathon weekend?

I don't want to come across as an episode of Jerry Springer here, but I separated from my partner a few weeks ago. It is a sad time and one with a lot of change, I have found a new place to live, and am slowly going through motions of a breakup from a long-term relationship.

Additionally, we booked our trip and have everything paid for. We are still going to be friends, and he will be running Dopey, and I am doing marathon. His family, who I still get along with, will be there too (in separate rooms).

So it's definitely a different road to marathon weekend than I was anticipating. I've pretty much stopped running all month, and need to catch up. And I'll need to get used to running in a new neighbourhood.

But it's great to have this to focus my energy on, fully step into to sort out some thoughts, and I know it'll be great to be at WDW marathon weekend, even if it's not what I'd originally envisioned. And I am lucky, this does not affect my ability to run, or challenge my health.

Take care all, and may any challenges you are going through help make you stronger.

I really feel for you. Running is one of my go to things when I need to process everything that's going on in my life.

I think 5th anniversary Dopey stuff will be a hot ticket item too.

I think you are right. What I don't really know is how they are going to do the merchandise and whether both the Full and Dopey will get anniversary merchandise. In theory I'd love to believe that since there are usually more about 3 times the number of people running the full than running dopey that they will produce enough Marathon merchandise that it will be hard for the ebayers to buy it all.

If they do cool dopey anniversary merch, they will probably produce less of it. That combined with the fact that all the Dopey runners will need to be at the expo on Wed's makes it likely that merchandise will sell out first.

Not to be a downer but my guess is that if somethings going to sell out it will be a 25th anniversary item. Last year it was the 20th anniversary of the half and the main thing that sold out was the special pin for that race.
I'm not too worried about the pins since I preorder them. I definitely expect things to sell out I'm just wondering if every jacket and/or hoodie is going to sell out? Last year they had at least two for the marathon that I saw in the previews and one for Dopey. I know the half had at least two or three and one of which was the 20th anniversary one. I guess I'm just hoping that with the sheer quantity of designs I'll be able to get one for the events I'm running even if it doesn't have the anniversary specialness on it. I mean I can go when it opens. I guess I'll have to think about it some more.

I've been reading about the 2 new Italian restaurants opening soon at Disney Springs. Looks like they will be open late fall 2017, anyone else looking to book an ADR for marathon weekend? We have Via Napoli Friday night and Il Mulino for Saturday but hoping to book the new DS restaurant instead of Il Mulino. We've never eaten at Il Mulino so not sure if we should keep it or roll the dice on something new. I know one of the new places Maria & Enzo's, is run by the same people who runs Via Napoli so I'm sure that one will be very good.

I wonder if they'd still have them at 2ish pm.
They do usually restock in the afternoons, so it's quite possible they could sell out early, and then be back later in the day. Of course, it's also possible they won't... it's a roll of the dice, to be sure.

I've been reading about the 2 new Italian restaurants opening soon at Disney Springs. Looks like they will be open late fall 2017, anyone else looking to book an ADR for marathon weekend? We have Via Napoli Friday night and Il Mulino for Saturday but hoping to book the new DS restaurant instead of Il Mulino. We've never eaten at Il Mulino so not sure if we should keep it or roll the dice on something new. I know one of the new places Maria & Enzo's, is run by the same people who runs Via Napoli so I'm sure that one will be very good.
IDK anything about the new places, but Il Mulino goes down as one of the best meals I've had a t WDW!

Take care all, and may any challenges you are going through help make you stronger.

I'm so sorry to hear that. That definitely can be a big mental distraction. This is my first Dopey and I had a slight curveball that came my way this summer that should have gotten me out the door for more running, but instead caused so much stress in my life that I wasn't sleeping and had no energy to even think about running. I'm finally starting to feel on track (although, still nervous). I absolutely cannot begin to imagine the sadness you're feeling but you're healthy and strong and this will be such an accomplishment for you when you cross that finish line. Just keep one foot in front of the other :)

I don't want to come across as an episode of Jerry Springer here, but I separated from my partner a few weeks ago. It is a sad time and one with a lot of change, I have found a new place to live, and am slowly going through motions of a breakup from a long-term relationship.

Additionally, we booked our trip and have everything paid for. We are still going to be friends, and he will be running Dopey, and I am doing marathon. His family, who I still get along with, will be there too (in separate rooms).

So it's definitely a different road to marathon weekend than I was anticipating. I've pretty much stopped running all month, and need to catch up. And I'll need to get used to running in a new neighbourhood.

But it's great to have this to focus my energy on, fully step into to sort out some thoughts, and I know it'll be great to be at WDW marathon weekend, even if it's not what I'd originally envisioned. And I am lucky, this does not affect my ability to run, or challenge my health.

That's tough! HUGS!!! I hope you will be able to use your training as "therapy" time. I don't know what I would do without my two BRFs who have gotten me through my problems over the past two years. Hopefully you can find a running partner as I think it would get you motivated.

Make a pact with yourself to get a run in over the next few days. You will feel better even after a short run.

The Jake, Gund Arena (The Q), and...never got into the Browns. I think life has been more pleasant that way. :)
Nice! I lived in Columbus for 10 years. We looked to Cleveland for baseball, basketball and hockey (Jackets fans loved following their little Lake Erie Monster brothers). Just like you, we kinda ignored the Browns, export to take bets on who's the quarterback this week?

Definitely book another room for one of you and stay separately, preferably splitting the cost since you already paid for everything else together. Make it a clean break.

I've had my fair share of bittersweet trips, too. I ran the 2012 Half on a trip with my mother and sister, on our first trip without my father, who died the previous year. I ran the 2015 Half with my sister one month after our mom died, on a trip we'd hoped she would be well enough to attend. All before I turned 25. Life is full of upheaval, and you adjust.

I can relate 100%.

My girlfriend of 5 years broke up with me a few weeks back. We'd run most of out rD races together and had plans for W&D and Dopey. She cancelled all the reservations.

I have since gotten a new budget figured out. I'm only doing W&D over the weekend now, but I'm doing it (solo).

Dopey now won't go from Dec 30 through Jan 8, but it will go from Jan 3 through Jan 8. This one my 16 yr old son is coming with me for.

I can honestly say that I don't know what my future holds, but I do know that when I'm outside, I feel better. I have gone through my depression and blame ... It's time to move on.

My training has taken quite a hit .... so now I'm changing from trying for a PR or a Disney PR (pictures, drinks and rides just gotta happen), to more of a fun run mentally. I'll be starting in a decent coral. I know I can finish. I just need to train to keep my brain from getting in the way.

You can do it too!

Brian

Thanks so much for your kind thoughts, and words of encouragement. Sending positive thoughts for others going through a rough time.

@hotblooded, I agree that separate rooms for my ex and I would be ideal, but I don't think it's affordable for either of us at this time. I did ask him to buy me out of the trip, but have since shifted my thoughts on that, as WDW is my happy place. We are also lucky in that we are civil and friendly towards one another, and the room we have has the curtain to change privately, and use the bathroom in peace.

If things do get any worse, I'm sure we will find a solution.

Take care all. Looking forward to Sunday's question, sorry for the gloom.

Happy Sunday!

Sundays of course are for Disney.

Today's question: the holidays are quickly coming up and Disney is already celebrating Halloween. If you could spend one holiday at Disney what would it be?

My answer: I would love to wake up Christmas morning in a Disney resort and get to spend that day in the Magic Kingdom or at the resort. That would be an almost perfect day to me.

Going at Christmastime is on my bucket list, but I would not want to go on Christmas Day.

It was pretty awesome just seeing the castle lit up with holiday lights over marathon weekend.

Unrelated: I've been been by the injury bug. I have pain on the top of my foot/ankle on and off all month. Got through 16 miles last Sunday and four on Tuesday, but cut Thursday's run short at a mile. Got new shoes on Friday and attempted another 16 this morning. Made it about 1.5 miles before the pain flared up. Walk/ran another 5.

I'm going to take it easy until next Saturday and see how it goes then. Really hoping I don't have a stress fracture.

Going at Christmastime is on my bucket list, but I would not want to go on Christmas Day.

It was pretty awesome just seeing the castle lit up with holiday lights over marathon weekend.

Unrelated: I've been been by the injury bug. I have pain on the top of my foot/ankle on and off all month. Got through 16 miles last Sunday and four on Tuesday, but cut Thursday's run short at a mile. Got new shoes on Friday and attempted another 16 this morning. Made it about 1.5 miles before the pain flared up. Walk/ran another 5.

I'm going to take it easy until next Saturday and see how it goes then. Really hoping I don't have a stress fracture.
That sucks hope you're better soon!

Happy Sunday!

Sundays of course are for Disney.

Today's question: the holidays are quickly coming up and Disney is already celebrating Halloween. If you could spend one holiday at Disney what would it be?

My answer: I would love to wake up Christmas morning in a Disney resort and get to spend that day in the Magic Kingdom or at the resort. That would be an almost perfect day to me.
Thanksgiving, because it would be the perfect excuse to avoid a family gathering. Plus no pressure to cook!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter