Marathon Weekend 2018

I was seriously wracking my brain over what to do, there. I wanted something nice, but not too heavy, so that threw out 'Ohana. It's a resort day, so I threw out everything in the parks. I had already planned to not chase rides between the half and the full.

I'm still not 100% happy with Cali Grill, but I couldn't think of anything better.

Edit: I like to repeat myself, over and over again.
Why not Boathouse? You can boat over to Disney Springs from POR and it's relaxing and a great meal. Plus two cool kids will totally be there too

Why does it have to be something nice? Not to be flippant, but why not save the nice dinner for the post-marathon celebration and give your girlfriend a night to relax, rest, and gather herself for the full on Sunday?

Why not Boathouse? You can boat over to Disney Springs from POR and it's relaxing and a great meal. Plus two cool kids will totally be there too

Oh you're not being flippant, @FFigawi . That was, honestly, the hardest time to find what I wanted. Not because I couldn't find a good place, but I want something where she could relax and enjoy her food.

The Boathouse sounds really good! Oh why didn't I think of that before?

Wait, I'm pretty much on DisB on my phone now, and don't see signatures. I changed resorts, and I probably didn't change my signature, did I?

Edit: jumped on my computer.. Oh *#&!Y^&*$(@.... Hold on.. changing my signature.
Edit2: changed it.

Last edited:
Whew - so glad that's over with!

Was able to score reservations for various members of our 12-person traveling party this morning for (in no particular order because I don't have my list in front of me):

Spirit of Aloha Luau
Jiko
Yak & Yeti
Monsieur Paul
Sci-Fi Dine In
Il Mulino
STK brunch (BOTTLE SERVICE MIMOSAS!!!!)
Kimonos
Garden Grill Breakfast
Yachtsman Steakhouse

Oh you're not being flippant, @FFigawi . That was, honestly, the hardest time to find what I wanted. Not because I couldn't find a good place, but I want something where she could relax and enjoy her food.

Wait, I'm pretty much on DisB on my phone now, and don't see signatures. I changed resorts, and I probably didn't change my signature, did I?

Boathouse or Morimoto would be my pre-full marathon picks if I wasn't going to Kimono!

Watch your timing on the CG and fireworks. Historically Wishes was at 8 pm on Marathon Sunday. I went with a 7:10 pm CG reservation on Marathon Sunday for that reason. They will still let you up there to watch but it is possible your reservation will be after fireworks.

I'll keep watching my DTA portal and will post the January hours as soon as they pop up!

Edit: jumped on my computer.. Oh *#&!Y^&*$(@.... Hold on.. changing my signature.
Edit2: changed it.

You didn't change your signature ;) Now I see that you are staying at the Contemporary - California Grill does work well if you want an easy day since you don't have to leave the hotel. Disney Springs isn't a bad bus ride though.

I should probably update my signature for 2018 trip's but I haven't gotten there yet.

Whew - so glad that's over with!

Was able to score reservations for various members of our 12-person traveling party this morning for (in no particular order because I don't have my list in front of me):

Spirit of Aloha Luau
Jiko
Yak & Yeti
Monsieur Paul
Sci-Fi Dine In
Il Mulino
STK brunch (BOTTLE SERVICE MIMOSAS!!!!)
Kimonos
Garden Grill Breakfast
Yachtsman Steakhouse

STK brunch sounds good - I think I may see if I can get that next Saturday since I haven't figured out what I'm doing in the morning anyway. As I don't have plans to get to EPCOT until 3PM and I'm at Saratoga Springs. I didn't realize they added brunch!

Yo quiero este "secret nacho." Uno momento, ¿qué es este "Secret nacho"?

Ack, I would like to interrput and say do not eat at Pecos Bills before a race!!! Word or warning from someone who got very very ill most likely from their condiment bar (guacamole sitting out) the evening before the marathon. That was a lunch after the half I regret daily as it made for the worst marathon ever. Of course I know you can get sick from anywhere, I just like to warn, although the nachos probably come just from the back so not condiment bar. Now Back to your regular marathon reading....

Hooray to dining reservations! Here are mine:

1/2 (Tues) - Chef Mickey's 6:40pm
1/3 (Wed) - Bon Voyage 9:15am
1/4 (Thurs) - Flame Tree BBQ for lunch; Yak and Yeti at 4:30pm
1/5 (Fri) - Beaches and Cream 12:30pm; Olivia's 5:30pm
1/6 (Sat) - Be Our Guest 12:20pm; Roaring Forks for dinner
1/7 (Sun) - Ohana 8:15pm

Looks like quite a few of us at Ohana on Sunday night.

I feel like such a dead beat. I haven't even started a planning conversation with my other half. We may opt for a laissez-faire attitude and roll with the punches.
Yeah we have nothing either :) But then I don't think we'll be doing any ADRs.

BUT...
6 months to the marathon, wondering how/if they'll spice it up for the 25th? :)

You didn't change your signature ;) Now I see that you are staying at the Contemporary - California Grill does work well if you want an easy day since you don't have to leave the hotel. Disney Springs isn't a bad bus ride though.

I should probably update my signature for 2018 trip's but I haven't gotten there yet.

Sorry, my profile signature, not the signature restaurant :D Staying at CR and going to CG is a short walk. I've been thinking on what to do that day. Either a monorail crawl, or heading to Disney Springs, and maybe a quick boat back to POR just to say hi. Regardless, I don't want to stress my girlfriend that day... AND NO NACHOS! :D

I'll admit, the last time I was on what's now Disney Springs, it was called Pleasure Island. I never made it there when it was Downtown Disney.

Aside: Ever since I found Firefox Focus for Android, this site actually became zippy on my phone! It was a drag on Chrome. That's why I really haven't been on here on the lappytoppy too much.

Hehe, feeling the need to share my ADRs too :)

- Jan 3 breakfast @ Kona Cafe
- Jan 4 breakfast @ Boma
- Jan 5 dinner @ Jiko
- Jan 7 dinner @ Ohana

We are treating ourselves to a night at the Polynesian on the 8th, may do another breakfast at Kona on the 9th (our departure day).

As you may be able to tell, I am a breakfast person! Also using the AKL restaurants as an excuse to "determine" if we'll maybe stay there next visit.

Happy Friday all!

Last edited:
Dopey/5km runners- what time do you anticipate most runners being done by? My DH is doing the 5k, and I'm trying to get a breakfast in at Boma.

I'm trying to guess what a good ADR time would be given that he'll need to venture back to POR, shower, and then we'd head out.

Dopey/5km runners- what time do you anticipate most runners being done by? My DH is doing the 5k, and I'm trying to get a breakfast in at Boma.

I'm trying to guess what a good ADR time would be given that he'll need to venture back to POR, shower, and then we'd head out.
I started in corral E and finished at 7:30. Race started at 6. I made one character stop because lines were nuts.

Man, the last few days in this thread make me so glad I do these trips solo! I have a hard enough time deciding what to eat at the next meal the ADR process drives me nuts! No way can I commit to times and restaurants this far in advance. Fortunately, I'm perfectly happy with counter service and the occasional walk up table service on the spur of the moment.

Man, the last few days in this thread make me so glad I do these trips solo! I have a hard enough time deciding what to eat at the next meal the ADR process drives me nuts! No way can I commit to times and restaurants this far in advance. Fortunately, I'm perfectly happy with counter service and the occasional walk up table service on the spur of the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I love my family, but solo trips are the best! I think the biggest perk about going solo is that spontaneity really has no risks of others being frustrated or upset. The only thing I was picky about on a recent solo trip was Kona cafe (But I have a strange obsession with that place, I even named my dog "Kona".)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter