Marathon Weekend 2018

Going to go with a mint julep from Disneyland! I had one of those for the first time during the ridiculous heat wave for the DL race weekend a few weeks ago, and it was so refreshing and delicious in the sweltering 100 degree afternoon. (Arguably, would be better if there was some kind of alcohol in there, but the nonalcoholic version is still awesome.) You have to like mint though. My mom was not a fan at all.

@Keels love the names! #BayouBuddies/#CajunCrew here. :)

So, I unfortunately have waited to the last minute with booking a hotel for Marathon Weekend. As of right now, all of the values are sold out. The only two moderates available are Coronado and Caribbean beach.

Since it's only me going, I was hoping to get a room at Pop like last year. Am I out of luck, or is it possible more rooms could open up?

You can always check with travel agents. They will have blocks of rooms allocated on occasion. You might be able to find one that hasn't sold out of their Value allocation.

So, I unfortunately have waited to the last minute with booking a hotel for Marathon Weekend. As of right now, all of the values are sold out. The only two moderates available are Coronado and Caribbean beach.

Since it's only me going, I was hoping to get a room at Pop like last year. Am I out of luck, or is it possible more rooms could open up?

I would imagine that there's a few people who have double or triple booked, waiting for the discounts. Historically, room discounts for early January come up late September or early October, so if there pattern holds, that should be in the next week or two.

At that point, the double bookers should dump the resorts they no longer want, which may open a little availability.

I would imagine that there's a few people who have double or triple booked, waiting for the discounts. Historically, room discounts for early January come up late September or early October, so if there pattern holds, that should be in the next week or two.

At that point, the double bookers should dump the resorts they no longer want, which may open a little availability.

I think this is a definite possibility. Although I never double-book, I very frequently change/upgrade resorts when Disney releases discounts. I usually start by booking a standard room at one deluxe and then upgrade to another deluxe. But I've also started out with a room at a value thinking I'd do a budget trip and then switch to another resort when I see the discounts.

This time, I know I'm not willing to pay rack rate for any resort and we're relatively flexible, so I haven't booked yet and I'm just waiting until I see what kind of discounts are available and where.

#MonorailMafia here! I am sooooo excited. I have wanted to stay at the Poly for 15+ years and finally figured out the whole DVC renting points thing (thanks Internet!). Unfortunately, I figured it out slightly too late so we can only do 2 out of the 3 nights at the Poly, but hey, I'm still going to be there :)

My fave Disney drink is the Avocado Margarita at the margarita place inside the Mexico pavilion. It sounds strange, but was delicious!

You can always check with travel agents. They will have blocks of rooms allocated on occasion. You might be able to find one that hasn't sold out of their Value allocation.

We still have some All-Star Music availability.

Last year, Disney Visa/Florida Residents/APs got the January hotel discounts on the 21st of September with general public receiving the same discounts on the 30th of September, so you might see an fluctuation in availability then.

Going to go with a mint julep from Disneyland! I had one of those for the first time during the ridiculous heat wave for the DL race weekend a few weeks ago, and it was so refreshing and delicious in the sweltering 100 degree afternoon. (Arguably, would be better if there was some kind of alcohol in there, but the nonalcoholic version is still awesome.) You have to like mint though. My mom was not a fan at all.

@Keels love the names! #BayouBuddies/#CajunCrew here. :)

100% in agreement with the mint julep in Disneyland!

I have a food, running, and strategy question.

Did my first 22 miler yesterday (! Yay !) and realized after that I wasn't hungry. Like I knew I wanted to eat but I physically couldn't eat anything, as in it took a lot of effort. I feel the same way after I finish half marathons too

Dopey runners - how do you get past this? I am so nervous I won't be able to eat :(

Did my first 22 miler yesterday (! Yay !) and realized after that I wasn't hungry. Like I knew I wanted to eat but I physically couldn't eat anything, as in it took a lot of effort. I feel the same way after I finish half marathons too

Dopey runners - how do you get past this? I am so nervous I won't be able to eat :(

If you can't eat or aren't super hungry, don't force it ... just plan appropriately. If you take fuel and supplements during your run - like chews/gels, waffles or even a water-soluble solution like Tailwind - your body may need time to process it and get used to the idea of eating. Drink LOTS of cold water to help move things through your system and see if you can get a little bit of a reset.

Personally, I don't eat for a couple hours after a long run. I'll have a few beers/mimosas/margaritas, and I usually go sit with my husband and friends while they eat ... if something is appealing to me, I'll order food. If not? No biggie. I'll just grab something a little later and closer to lunch and then I almost ALWAYS look forward to my pre-race dinner.

Long story short? Maybe be prepared to bail on some breakfast/brunch ADRs or switch them to lunch ADRs that feature items you ALWAYS eat no matter what (ie - for me, that's the macaroni at Chefs de France).

Last edited:
If you can't eat or aren't super hungry, don't force it ... just plan appropriately. If you take fuel and supplements during your run - like chews/gels, waffles or even a water-soluble solution like Tailwind - your body may need time to process it and get used to the idea of eating. Drink LOTS of cold water to help move things through your system and see if you can get a little bit of a reset.

Personally, I don't eat for a couple hours after a long run. I'll have a few beers/mimosas/margaritas, and I usually go sit with my husband and friends while they eat ... if something is appealing to me, I'll order food. If not? No biggie. I'll just grab something a little later and closer to lunch and then I almost ALWAYS look forward to my pre-race dinner.

Long story short? Maybe be prepared to bail on some breakfast/brunch ADRs or switch them to lunch ADRs that feature items you ALWAYS eat no matter what (ie - for me, that's the macaroni at Chefs de France).

I think this is a stupid question, but it's definitely a rookie question. After running the longer races (1/2, full), do runners get a little bit of food after the finish line, like fruit (usually bananas), bagels, and soft pretzels (this may be a Philly thing)?

I think this is a stupid question, but it's definitely a rookie question. After running the longer races (1/2, full), do runners get a little bit of food after the finish line, like fruit (usually bananas), bagels, and soft pretzels (this may be a Philly thing)?

Sure. Even RunDisney hands out bananas and the snack boxes that contain chips, fruit, a protein bar, cookies, etc.

My local half/full/ultra has a whole food spread - fruit, oatmeal, pizza, sandwiches, chicken noodle soup, pastries and donuts, breakfast tacos, you name it!

Personally, I don't eat any of it until later.

Sure. Even RunDisney hands out bananas and the snack boxes that contain chips, fruit, a protein bar, cookies, etc.

My local half/full/ultra has a whole food spread - fruit, oatmeal, pizza, sandwiches, chicken noodle soup, pastries and donuts, breakfast tacos, you name it!

Personally, I don't eat any of it until later.

Nice! I've seen pizza at one race, I think it's a 5k around here.

My girlfriend will attack the banana and whatever granola/energy/protein bar is in the bag, first. Usually, she hates that stuff. Just something about running makes her crave some food she wouldn't otherwise eat.

If you're not hungry after a long run or race, it's okay not to eat. Ideally, you want to take in some fluids, carbs, and protein to help your body begin the recovery process (chocolate milk is perfect for this), but forcing yourself to eat isn't a good idea. Like @Keels said, drink water if you can, and when you're hungry again, go ahead and eat. Personally, I'm never hungry after a marathon. I'll drink every beer or margarita on offer, but I don't eat much of anything until late afternoon or evening.

If you're not hungry after a long run or race, it's okay not to eat. Ideally, you want to take in some fluids, carbs, and protein to help your body begin the recovery process (chocolate milk is perfect for this), but forcing yourself to eat isn't a good idea. Like @Keels said, drink water if you can, and when you're hungry again, go ahead and eat. Personally, I'm never hungry after a marathon. I'll drink every beer or margarita on offer, but I don't eat much of anything until late afternoon or evening.

You also steal quesadillas if they're sitting next to you ...

In realness, though - just listen to your body. In 2016, I was so famished that all I wanted to do was change clothes and go straight to Electric Umbrella for chicken nuggets and fries.

This year? @FFigawi and I hung out in the finishers area and had a couple of beers until the last finisher came through. I went back to the hotel, showered, changed and walked over to where the rest of our group was eating and drinking at Big River Grille (or whatever its called). I may have stolen a few fries from my husband, but I had another couple waters and a beer ... and then it was in to Epcot for me.

I don't think I actually ate a true meal until 4 or 5 or so.

On the not eating post half I'm very much the same sometimes. I need anywhere from a few minutes to an hour before I'm ready for real food depending on the conditions of the race/how I feel at the finish. I'm sure I'll be the same way after the full. Either ravenous or totally turned off by things that aren't liquid. As long as you know yourself you can plan accordingly. We didn't do any ADRs until 5ish I think and if/when I get hungry before that I'll head to the nearest appealing quick service.

I have learned that I can't eat much soon after any long run over about 15 miles. It may be a mixture of of lots of fuel, liquids, and exhaustion. So, we do brunch ADRs only after 5k or 10k races. I can eat the banana and drink water/Powerade after a half (partly so I don't have to carry so much), and then have a small lunch. I rarely eat anything out of the food box until I take it home days later. After my first marathon in 2016, I snacked a little during the day. We had a dinner ADR at Rose and Crown; all I ordered was potato-leek soup, and I could hardly even eat that. I was not really feeling hungry, and I was so tired that I could hardly pick up the spoon. So after Marathon 2017, we made our celebratory meal Monday morning: Princess breakfast at Cinderella's castle. I was well-rested, hungry, and, duh, princesses!

Agreed on listening to your body after a run. There have been runs where I finish and I'm famished (actually this is most of my runs), but lately with eating a lower carb diet, I find I'm not usually hungry as much right after running. I do often like chocolate milk if it's been a particularly long or grueling run and that usually suffices for some time.

It wasn't so much the 35 degrees (or whatever) at start time - I was very comfortable once we started - it was the standing around for 90 minutes in that weather. The wind didn't help, either.
I agree. The waiting in the wind was the worst part! I hate wind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter