Marathon Weekend 2018

Southwest out of Little Rock is terrible. I think there were 5 flights to Orlando the day we are flying down and the earliest I could arrive was 11:30 if I wanted to pay $315 for one way! The rest don't land till after 2:30 which to me is too late to arrive on the day I have to get to the Expo (January = snow, ice, delayed flights, etc.) and all those are over $200 for one way! Plus several of them have 2 connections. I have to drive to Memphis or Dallas to get good prices but don't want to drive that far alone in January, plus having to leave my car in long term parking would cancel out the savings. So I am stuck paying around $400 for Delta, plus baggage. At least on Delta I go thru Atlanta and actually feel like I am getting there. My connections on SW are Dallas, Saint Louis or Baltimore!

Hey all, I'm doing another prediction contest for my upcoming October 1st, 2017 marathon. Person with the closest guess gets one (1) $10 Amazon gift card via email. Just a fun game to play. The contest rules and data to help guide predictions can be found here (link). Make the predictions in my journal. Prediction window ends 9/24/2017.

2:02:56 :D (i'm joking!)

Hey all, I'm doing another prediction contest for my upcoming October 1st, 2017 marathon. Person with the closest guess gets one (1) $10 Amazon gift card via email. Just a fun game to play. The contest rules and data to help guide predictions can be found here (link). Make the predictions in my journal. Prediction window ends 9/24/2017.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you finish ahead of me ;)

My flight down to WDW in January is not a great price, but we did save $80 per ticket by taking a late-night Thursday flight instead of crazy early Friday. We've had a lot of experience with non-Disney crazy early flights this summer and decided to try to avoid them if at all possible. So with the savings, we'll grab a room at Pop or Music for the night (not all of us are going this time - school activity schedules.)

But now that we're arriving earlier, @mateojr could run the Friday 1-mile. Unfortunately, it's now sold out. I've started to research options, but it seems like charities and travel agencies only offer 5K and up, but no kids' runs. I feel bad about him not having a race to run this trip, but we are just so short on time this year and didn't think we could fit it in. And now that we can, it's full. :( Would be great if someone knew of a way for him to register.

My flight down to WDW in January is not a great price, but we did save $80 per ticket by taking a late-night Thursday flight instead of crazy early Friday. We've had a lot of experience with non-Disney crazy early flights this summer and decided to try to avoid them if at all possible. So with the savings, we'll grab a room at Pop or Music for the night (not all of us are going this time - school activity schedules.)

But now that we're arriving earlier, @mateojr could run the Friday 1-mile. Unfortunately, it's now sold out. I've started to research options, but it seems like charities and travel agencies only offer 5K and up, but no kids' runs. I feel bad about him not having a race to run this trip, but we are just so short on time this year and didn't think we could fit it in. And now that we can, it's full. :( Would be great if someone knew of a way for him to register.
Where are you flying out of?

My flight on the way down was crazy high but luckily just went down so I got some money back. It's likely due to the time of year and how many schools are still out that week. My flight on the 9th back home was less than half my flight going down until I got the credit.

Looking for on-site hotel recommendations for Marathon Weekend. Based on availability and price, it looks like our options are Pop, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, and Coronado Springs. The All Star resorts are available too, but I don't think I want to stay at an All Star for this trip. We stayed at Caribbean Beach over spring break and loved it, but know it's under renovations right now and would love the chance to try something new this time around. Part of me is leaning towards Port Orleans since it's just DH and I going and it seems relaxing and pretty there. But Pop is such a better deal and always seems like it could be fun. We would save a lot by staying there. We'll have our own car with us, so transportation is not an issue (we actually prefer to drive to the parks, but would take the bus for the morning of the race). A good night's sleep before the race is important (fireworks going off in Epoct might interrupt that for the resorts near Epcot?) and food options are important too (I have to eat gluten free, I've found CBR and all the parks super accommodating to this but have never stayed at a value since I had to start eating gluten free).

Looking for on-site hotel recommendations for Marathon Weekend. Based on availability and price, it looks like our options are Pop, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, and Coronado Springs. The All Star resorts are available too, but I don't think I want to stay at an All Star for this trip. We stayed at Caribbean Beach over spring break and loved it, but know it's under renovations right now and would love the chance to try something new this time around. Part of me is leaning towards Port Orleans since it's just DH and I going and it seems relaxing and pretty there. But Pop is such a better deal and always seems like it could be fun. We would save a lot by staying there. We'll have our own car with us, so transportation is not an issue (we actually prefer to drive to the parks, but would take the bus for the morning of the race). A good night's sleep before the race is important (fireworks going off in Epoct might interrupt that for the resorts near Epcot?) and food options are important too (I have to eat gluten free, I've found CBR and all the parks super accommodating to this but have never stayed at a value since I had to start eating gluten free).
I have stayed at POR for race weekend it was great. Pop I have stayed at but not for a race weekend and it is a nice place to stay as well. Many seem to stay there for Marathon weekend. Pop has one of the better food courts too and is in walking distance to AoA which also has a good food court.

What nights are you looking at and do you need tickets? I just looked at availability and I see Animal Kingdom Lodge for MOST of Marathon Weekend and it's pretty comparable to what you've listed above.

Personally, out of all of those, I'd pick Coronado Springs or Caribbean Beach because it's the quickest drive to and from the Epcot parking lot and it's not affected by road closures, if you want to drive yourself to the race (I always do and LOVE being able to sit in my car, in the heat, until I need to walk to corrals). Port Orleans, I'd immediately scratch because it's hard to get to on half/full marathon day if you plan on driving yourself. Coronado is the hotel where RunDisney puts all the charity runners for race weekends, so you'd have a lot of fellow runners if you stay there!

What nights are you looking at and do you need tickets? I just looked at availability and I see Animal Kingdom Lodge for MOST of Marathon Weekend and it's pretty comparable to what you've listed above.

Personally, out of all of those, I'd pick Coronado Springs or Caribbean Beach because it's the quickest drive to and from the Epcot parking lot and it's not affected by road closures, if you want to drive yourself to the race (I always do and LOVE being able to sit in my car, in the heat, until I need to walk to corrals). Port Orleans, I'd immediately scratch because it's hard to get to on half/full marathon day if you plan on driving yourself. Coronado is the hotel where RunDisney puts all the charity runners for race weekends, so you'd have a lot of fellow runners if you stay there!

Looking at January 4-10. We'd drive most of the day on the 4th and arrive late afternoon, Expo on the 5th, just chill at the hotel on the 6th and go to bed early, marathon on the 7th, 2 park days on the 8th and 9th, drive home on the 10th.

AKL is coming up as double the price for me. Those are some good insights about driving to the race! I had figured we wouldn't because of road closures, but the roads by those ones aren't affected? I like the idea of being able to sit in my warm car before the race! Coronado is the resort I'm least familiar with of those I listed, but it looks pretty nice!

Looking at January 4-10. We'd drive most of the day on the 4th and arrive late afternoon, Expo on the 5th, just chill at the hotel on the 6th and go to bed early, marathon on the 7th, 2 park days on the 8th and 9th, drive home on the 10th.

AKL is coming up as double the price for me. Those are some good insights about driving to the race! I had figured we wouldn't because of road closures, but the roads by those ones aren't affected? I like the idea of being able to sit in my warm car before the race! Coronado is the resort I'm least familiar with of those I listed, but it looks pretty nice!

Driving is SUCH a game-changer for these races! You get extra sleep, you aren't at the whim of a bus, you can hydrate and eat your pre-race snacks in the car. Plus, you don't have to worry about dropping a bag for your post-race needs.

Gimme a couple of minutes and I can mark up a map, but basically, you want to be on the Animal Kingdom side of Epcot/World Drive (if that makes sense).

For all my race weekends except for a portion of Marathon Weekend this year, I would drive in from my parents' house right outside of Disney Springs. I'd get there and park 30 minutes before race start with NO problem, would breeze through security and be in my corral just in time for the national anthem. And then AFTER the race, I'd walk out the finish area and my car was RIGHT THERE to drive back home, or around to Beach Club. SO nice.

Where are you flying out of?

My flight on the way down was crazy high but luckily just went down so I got some money back. It's likely due to the time of year and how many schools are still out that week. My flight on the 9th back home was less than half my flight going down until I got the credit.

MKE Jan 4, returning Jan 9 (really great price - I booked that part the day SW released fares!)

Driving is SUCH a game-changer for these races! You get extra sleep, you aren't at the whim of a bus, you can hydrate and eat your pre-race snacks in the car. Plus, you don't have to worry about dropping a bag for your post-race needs.

Gimme a couple of minutes and I can mark up a map, but basically, you want to be on the Animal Kingdom side of Epcot/World Drive (if that makes sense).

For all my race weekends except for a portion of Marathon Weekend this year, I would drive in from my parents' house right outside of Disney Springs. I'd get there and park 30 minutes before race start with NO problem, would breeze through security and be in my corral just in time for the national anthem. And then AFTER the race, I'd walk out the finish area and my car was RIGHT THERE to drive back home, or around to Beach Club. SO nice.

Thank you so much! That would be great. I'm so glad you mentioned this about driving, because a lot of the run Disney blog posts made it seem like driving is not a good option. What time would you recommend leaving CBR or POR to head to Epcot on the morning of the full marathon?

Thank you so much! That would be great. I'm so glad you mentioned this about driving, because a lot of the run Disney blog posts made it seem like driving is not a good option. What time would you recommend leaving CBR or POR to head to Epcot on the morning of the full marathon?

CBR, I'd leave around 4:30-4:45 (I think that's when we left Beach Club this year, and it's basically the same drive), depending on what corral you're in. @FFigawi may remember better, but I *think* we met in the Beach Club lobby at 4:30 to drive over. We usually didn't get out of the car until 5:15 or so.

POR, I'd leave closer to 4:15-4:30, just because portions of the roads in the area get closed off/contraflowed because of the route, so you just want to make sure you're out and on your way to World Drive before then.

I love POR, and I call it my home away from home. I've only swapped to Contemporary just to use the monorail for the half and the full (and got an excellent price for a Garden Wing room). That, and MK is my favorite park. My next trip, I'm going back to POR.

One of those early mornings, take the walk along the Sassagoula River and stroll over to FQ. From there, grab a half dozen beignets at the FQ food court (maybe after the race if you're watching what you eat), and walk it back. Trust me, you'll lose yourself in the surroundings of both PO resorts, and you'll forget you're at Disney. Yeeha Bob at The River Roost Lounge in POR is a HOOT! I love it there.

When we were booking hotel rooms back in January, POR was our first, and only, choice for a good couple months. Right after getting race registration in, I called runDisney resort reservations, and I'm asking my girlfriend "what resort do you want?" She just said "Riverside" and that was that. She wasn't budging.

Then I stumbled (thanks @ZellyB) over group rate hotels, and that's when I found CR. I'm like "monorail!" My girl said "sure, you can change it, but you're paying the extra price." Me: "ahh, ok!"

CBR, I'd leave around 4:30-4:45 (I think that's when we left Beach Club this year, and it's basically the same drive), depending on what corral you're in. @FFigawi may remember better, but I *think* we met in the Beach Club lobby at 4:30 to drive over. We usually didn't get out of the car until 5:15 or so.

That sounds about right. I think we said meet at 430 and all of us ended up being there at 420-425 anyway. :)

Just another data point to tell you that driving into the races is a great option. We've done it a couple of times when we stayed off site and were able to get in and park very easily and like @Keels said, the luxury of sitting in your car until time to head to the corrals is great. We won't have a car there this year, so will be stuck relying on the buses and monorail.

Just my two cents: We have stayed at Pop twice and POR once and loved both. I stayed at Pop for the 2017 marathon, relied on park transportation and found it to be pretty convenient. The bus to and from the expo took forever, but the morning of the race I walked right onto a bus to the staging area. Pop has a perfectly serviceable food court, but can get a little loud and chaotic. POR is beautiful and mostly quiet since it's so spread out. We loved being able to take the boat to Downtown Disney and I want to check out Boatrights during our next trip.

For me, it ultimately comes down to what you plan on using your hotel for and how you plan to vacation. Generally for me, the hotel is a place to sleep and not much else, so I'd rather save on a hotel and put that savings toward meals, another day at the park, etc. But, since it's just you and DH, you might want something a little quieter and less "Disney" for the sake of relaxation. Again, I think it all comes down to priorities... Best of luck with your planning!

We stayed at POR in 2014 and 2015 for Marathon Weekend. Loved it both times. The boat to DS opens up a lot more dining options if you don't have a car or want to drive over there.

Depending on where you are, if you are not running all races, you will hear the fireworks early as each corral is sent off.

This year, we're doing Dopey so DW and I decided to stay a BCV. We want the proximity to EPCOT after the marathon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter