• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2017!

I have been eating Peanut Butter M&Ms (if you call them real food!) and pretzels on my long runs. I got really sick of them though so am thinking about trying fig newtons and pretzels on my last long run. Plus the bananas at mile 11 & 19. :)
That's true I eat those bananas on the course with GUSTO. Wouldn't want to carry one on a training run though.

Half Marathon back open ... I imagine this is just the beginning of RunDisney splitting up unsold challenge bibs.

So, with about a month to go, they have Dopey, Goofy, marathon and half marathon spots available. This will be interesting to see how 2018 registration goes given the various anniversaries.

Yep, Jeff Galloway posted on Facebook that half spots are open.

This will be interesting to see if they can sell out the challenges now or the single races since they most likely split some of those challenge spots up.

Hopefully they don't end up reducing the challenge slots for 2018 because they didn't sell out now....2018 will have a lot of demand and i'm not taking any chance with it - i reserved my dopey with a TA already so i can be first on her list. Not worth it to think that i can wait for some huge discounts, like there were this year, only to get screwed out of a spot - willing to pay upfront now, but a discount would have been nice

Half Marathon back open ... I imagine this is just the beginning of RunDisney splitting up unsold challenge bibs.

No way! I was just thinking about this yesterday and even checked the runDisney website. Our oldest son just decided to arrive earlier than originally planned, and he would be there in time for the half! Sending him a text now to see if he's interested - thanks Keels!

Oh man, I wish I could pull that off, but we now already have plans that weekend.

Plans can change! ;)

Which means they're finalizing things.. which means waivers soon(ish)!

I'm still optimistic we'll see that stuff next week. RD is on-site at WDW beginning Dec. 16, so things will definitely be released by then for sure.

Yep, Jeff Galloway posted on Facebook that half spots are open.

This will be interesting to see if they can sell out the challenges now or the single races since they most likely split some of those challenge spots up.

If I were them, I'd waive the transfer fee or offer a slight discount to anyone wanting to upgrade to the Challenge. That would definitely get those challenges closer to capacity.

Hopefully they don't end up reducing the challenge slots for 2018 because they didn't sell out now....2018 will have a lot of demand and i'm not taking any chance with it - i reserved my dopey with a TA already so i can be first on her list. Not worth it to think that i can wait for some huge discounts, like there were this year, only to get screwed out of a spot - willing to pay upfront now, but a discount would have been nice

I say this with no insider information, more as just a general observation - but I think releasing of Half Marathon bibs is more an indictment of Goofy than it is a concern about Dopey. If Dopey was WAY undersold, they'd close out the Challenge and release those 5K and 10K bibs - which would be snapped up in a near instant. I think Goofy is way undersold and when they got around to slotting corrals, they noticed that the Half is down from where it should be for runners. They could offer the Half while still keeping the Challenges available because the Half and Full can handle more capacity than the 5 and 10 can. So, in theory, if they were somehow magically able to sell out all the Dopey and Goofy bibs that are currently available, PLUS an additional set of Half bibs (who knows how many they're adding in right now - 50? 250? 500? 1000?), the capacity of the race can handle the increase without feeling it. Whereas, if they added in additional bibs to the 10K and then sold out Dopey, you'd definitely feel the increase in capacity out on the course.

No way! I was just thinking about this yesterday and even checked the runDisney website. Our oldest son just decided to arrive earlier than originally planned, and he would be there in time for the half! Sending him a text now to see if he's interested - thanks Keels!

Yay! What perfect timing!!

If I were them, I'd waive the transfer fee or offer a slight discount to anyone wanting to upgrade to the Challenge. That would definitely get those challenges closer to capacity.
That's not a bad idea but I don't see it happening.

So happy! Sent a text to my son and he responded within 60 seconds - he's in for the half! He's just a few months away from turning 18, so I can pick up his bib for him at the expo earlier in the week (double checked official policy to be certain.) The proof of time he used for PHM and Super Heroes is still valid, so I was able to enter that during registration. Yay!

So happy! Sent a text to my son and he responded within 60 seconds - he's in for the half! He's just a few months away from turning 18, so I can pick up his bib for him at the expo earlier in the week (double checked official policy to be certain.) The proof of time he used for PHM and Super Heroes is still valid, so I was able to enter that during registration. Yay!

How exciting! I just love it when things fall in place!

I have used EmergenC for years. I take 1-2 a day when I start feeling unwell and keep going until I feel better. If nothing else, I don't feel like I get quite as sick and I recover a bit faster. It could be placebo effect, but I'll take it either way!
I do the same thing!

Ariel484, thanks, I was thinking that if I maintain my pace during first half I could let the excitement carry me thru the second half. Plan on doing 3 miles on Monday.

And now it just happend, got a cold :-(

Going to bed, directly after work and no runs for me this weekend :-(

That is my biggest fear, especially working in the ED, that someone will sneeze at me the wrong way and I'll end up sicker than a dog race week. I use extra hand sanitizer and soap the week before a race, heh.

My problem right now is a cough. I have allergies so I pretty much have a stuffed up nose year round and I can deal with that but I have this lingering cough.

Is your ankle feeling better? I would think you would be ok as long as your ankle isn't hurting. You have to keep a 16 minute pace so if you think you do that then you should be fine. How was your training before your ankle starting hurting? And how did you do for your last 10k?
My ankle is better. Before my ankle starting hurting I was doing 14.5 to 15 per minute. I finished last years 10k in 99 minutes. I was hoping to improve but now I just want to enjoy myself and finish.

I'm not hearing much about the course and I'm wondering what will change with DHS under construction.I believe the entrance we enter DHS through by TOT is construction free so I'm thinking we will at least run through some of DHS before heading to the Boardwalk,At least I hope.Maybe the construction is so extensive we'll have to skip DHS altogether and the course might take us directly to the Boardwalk,when is the course info going to come out.There was a link that showed certified marathon courses at WDW,does anyone have it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter