• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic band?

I am wondering if we can buy them at Disney World for less money than the $30 magic bands on ShopDisney. We just wanted a plain purple one for my son's trip, but cannot find the plain colored bands. I would be willing to wait to link the band to everything if I knew we could buy them at the park itself.

My reservation is linked in MDE and just like before you can order one there, just need to pay ..there are plenty plain ones..think they were all $10. Also a word of caution they have a shelf life so if the ones you have are a couple years old you risk them not working when you get there. Better to replace.

Also a word of caution they have a shelf life so if the ones you have are a couple years old you risk them not working when you get there. Better to replace.
The only function that will stop working is the automatic linking of ride photos. Functions where you need to actually touch the MB to a reader (like park entry, room entry, etc.) draw any necessary power from the touch points and will continue to work as long as Disney supports the technology.

Go to your reservation, look at bottom of screen where it says select magic band. click get started and select person it for. you will see one pop up
.scroll to the right..first plain to appear is raspberry..marked $10 Scroll through the choices in MDE. They are mixed in with the fancy ones.

Last edited:

So, if you wait and buy a magicband once you get on property, what is the process to get it linked to your info? Like others, I'm only seeing a handful of choices on MDE and we don't go until June, so by then I'm concerned that inventory will be very low.

So, if you wait and buy a magicband once you get on property, what is the process to get it linked to your info? Like others, I'm only seeing a handful of choices on MDE and we don't go until June, so by then I'm concerned that inventory will be very low.
You manually enter the code on the back of the MagicBand into MDE. It will prompt you during the linking process on which person from your Family & Friends list it should be associated with.

We are visiting the world in early March. there are 4 of us. I have only 2 of our magic bands from previous trips. The other two got destroyed...has something to do with a teenager. Anyway, do I understand correctly that magic bands are no included when you book a trip, and we will need to buy them this time?
If you have a new enough smart phone and smart watch, the MDE app does work as a substitute to magic band. That being said, I'm glad we had magic bands as it allowed us to stay off the app more frequently and enjoy the sights and sounds of WDW. That to me is the biggest drawback to using phones and apps for all of your in park planning. Your face is buried in the app searching for things and it is not up in the air looking around at all the sights and sounds of the parks.

I have a magic band that i purchased last year but our trip was cancelled. I have another upcoming trip so can I use the band I had purchased last year and if so, how do I get that linked to my already purchased park admission tickets?

I have a magic band that i purchased last year but our trip was cancelled. I have another upcoming trip so can I use the band I had purchased last year and if so, how do I get that linked to my already purchased park admission tickets?
Yes. You can go into the MDE app and link it to your account. There is a link to account tab under the 3 bar area in the bottom right hand corner. That tab will offer a link magic band option and then you can insert the magic band serial number into your account. It should then be linked accordingly.

If the MagicBand is already linked to your MDE profile, you don't need to do anything except make sure it's marked as "Active".

You manually enter the code on the back of the MagicBand into MDE. It will prompt you during the linking process on which person from your Family & Friends list it should be associated with.

Do you just swipe right through the first group displayed or did you use the drop down feature to sort for designs you like? There are bunches. Good luck

If you wait to purchase them when you are at Disney, you will not get the discounted price.

Had I known before the trip my Apple Watch could be set up to work exactly like a MagicBand for park pass and hotel, I wouldn’t have brought my band. Still very nice for the kids though.

Had I known before the trip my Apple Watch could be set up to work exactly like a MagicBand for park pass and hotel, I wouldn’t have brought my band. Still very nice for the kids though.
Did you use your watch? I'm curious how much it drains the battery, if more than normal. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter