• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Made it as far as NC, Had to Cancel Trip and Come Home ☹️

Calling an urgent care to ask about narcotics is always going to get a “no”
answer. Once you got there and they could have examined her and perhaps contacted her doctor, though, they would have figured out how to treat her.

It was a Saturday. Her drs office was closed.
There’s no guarantee that a narcotic would help and if it did it would most likely make her very tired.
The only thing that’s going to help is surgery.

It was a Saturday. Her drs office was closed.
There’s no guarantee that a narcotic would help and if it did it would most likely make her very tired.
The only thing that’s going to help is surgery.
I think you made the right call heading back home. There is no reason to spend all that money for your wife not to enjoy the trip because she is in so much pain. Better to wait until she's had surgery and any PT.

Aww, so sorry you had to cancel, but you absolutely made the right choice. Get the wife's hand taken care of, and you will have an amazing trip in October. The first week, the crowds shouldn't be too bad, the weather shouldn't be too bad either, and you have the option of going to the Halloween party!

Aww, so sorry you had to cancel, but you absolutely made the right choice. Get the wife's hand taken care of, and you will have an amazing trip in October. The first week, the crowds shouldn't be too bad, the weather shouldn't be too bad either, and you have the option of going to the Halloween party!

Thank you

Well that's disappointing for everybody, sure hope they can take care of your wife's hand and she feels better ASAP. October is good though I would say it's still hot. Average high is 84 but it's very humid and the sun continues to beat down. That doesn't mean you shouldn't go, but I would still be prepared to deal with the
heat. F&W is great fun, especially if you enjoy sampling small plates of food you probably don't get to try very often. You can also enjoy wine, beer, and cocktails at the kiosks.

I'm so happy that at least Disney refunded everything... what a bummer if they didn't. I can't imagine how much of a let down this has been. :worried: But on the bright side, once the shock and initial disappointment settle down, now you will have a wonderful trip to look forward to! Just tell yourself in a week or two (after this canceled trip would've been over), 'Ahh, I still have a trip ahead of me!' and just know that it will be worth the wait. I agree that had you gone your wife would've most likely been miserable and in hindsight you probably would've wished you'd postponed it. I think you made the right call, as hard as it was!

I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. I certainly hope your wife is better.

I thank you for sharing your story.

It reminds me of how many things have to come together to make these magical trips possible.

First I'm so sorry about your wife and that you had to cancel, it stinks-we had to cancel once due to me having knee surgery. But having to be in pain and trying to enjoy Disney isn't any fun at all, better to be healed and healthy!

October is a wonderful time to visit - F&W and MNSSHP-2 of the best events all year IMHO. The fall decorations are also really nice. Best wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery!

Well that's disappointing for everybody, sure hope they can take care of your wife's hand and she feels better ASAP. October is good though I would say it's still hot. Average high is 84 but it's very humid and the sun continues to beat down. That doesn't mean you shouldn't go, but I would still be prepared to deal with the
heat. F&W is great fun, especially if you enjoy sampling small plates of food you probably don't get to try very often. You can also enjoy wine, beer, and cocktails at the kiosks.

Thanks

I hope your wife is able to find some relief for her hand very soon. That sounds excruciating! You guys definitely made the right decision to cancel and head back home so that she can get help now. I bet your October trip will be magical! Enjoy the F&WF (just try to avoid on the weekend, if possible), put on your shorts and tank tops, and have fun!

So sorry to hear that your wife was going through all that -- I am sure she is equally disappointed, but like others have posted it will be food and wine, so a lot to look forward to for food offerings at Epcot as well as various bands playing throughout the festival. Mickeys not so scary Halloween party will also be going on. Weather will be pleasant during october too. I would just try to avoid Columbus day weekend as i think that draws a lot of people.

I'm so happy that at least Disney refunded everything... what a bummer if they didn't. I can't imagine how much of a let down this has been. :worried: But on the bright side, once the shock and initial disappointment settle down, now you will have a wonderful trip to look forward to! Just tell yourself in a week or two (after this canceled trip would've been over), 'Ahh, I still have a trip ahead of me!' and just know that it will be worth the wait. I agree that had you gone your wife would've most likely been miserable and in hindsight you probably would've wished you'd postponed it. I think you made the right call, as hard as it was!

Thank you

I feel for you - but really happy to hear that it is working out financially and that you are making another plan. That is awesome!

Disney gets A+ for customer service. Happy 30th from someone who is celebrating our 20th this month!

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry. Sending all my positive thoughts that your wife is pain-free soon.

FWIW, I think you made the right decision. And I am so happy that Disney refunded all your money! We just had to reschedule a trip we had planned for my H's birthday in February due to my health issues, at my husband's urging. I have to have surgery soon, and initially it was scheduled for April. But things have taken a turn for the worse recently, and my husband urged me to move my surgery up, even though it would mean we wouldn't be there for his birthday and it would cost us about $600 more. I tell you what...I have never felt more loved and supported than when my H insisted that we change the dates...and I think your wife is so very lucky to have someone who cherishes her enough to put her health and comfort first. :)

Also...I think October is a fantastic month for a trip! When we've been at that time of year it hasn't been oppressively hot, and we loved going to the F&W Festival and MNSSHP. :)

Nothing worse than expecting to be checking into your hotel in DisneyWorld today but coming home instead.
This was our 30th Anniversary trip and the first trip without our 2 daughters.
A few days ago my wife woke up with pain in her right hand and 3 numb fingers.
She went to an orthopedic Dr who told her she had carpal tunnel. He said she would most likely need surgery. She told him we were going to Disney in a few days, so he gave her a cortisone shot and told her she should feel better in a day or two.
She was taking Motrin and Tylenol around the clock for pain.
We drove from NY Saturday morning and got to Roanoke Rapids NC. The pain in her hand got much worse and would come and go (She was crying from the pain and my wife has been through a lot and has had a lot of surgeries and can handle pain pretty well).
She called her dr trying to see if he could call in a pain killer but he said he couldn’t call in a narcotic in another state.
We planned on staying over in Florence SC but I didn’t want to drive another 2 1/2 hours if we might not go to Disney. We got a hotel and talked about what to do. She really wanted to go and felt bad for me if we didn’t go. I told her I didn’t mind canceling and that she wouldn’t have a good time if she was in constant pain and numbness. She’s a rightie so she could use her right hand. She said what if the shot starts working tomorrow then I’ll feel better. I told her there’s no guarantee the shot will help tomorrow or even this week and you can’t count on that. She also has high blood pressure and the Motrin was raising it a lot.
I convinced her it wasn’t worth it to risk her health to go and spend all that money and be miserable. She agreed and I called Disney and got a very nice woman who refunded us all of our money plus the $200 deposit. And this was the night before we were supposed to check in.
So, now we are looking at the first week in October to go back.
Has anyone gone that time and is it a good time to go crowd and weather wise ?
Are there any deals during October?

Thanks

“Disappointed and back in NY”

I am so sorry that your wife was in so much pain and that you both had to cancel your trip! I hope she was able to see the doctor and is feeling better. As a fellow NYer I cannot imagine driving all that way and having to turn around.

On a positive note, fall is a great time to visit WDW! I just went during the end of September (not October) but the weather was in the high 80s to low 90s. First time I had been to WDW to experience F&W and MNSSHP which were both as Steve would say #amazingexperiences. I would recommend snacking around the world at the various food stations at F&W and taking a day off your park hopper ticket to get a ticket for MNSSHP since you can get into MK at 4pm unless if they are changing things this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter