Made it as far as NC, Had to Cancel Trip and Come Home ☹️

I am so sorry that your wife was in so much pain and that you both had to cancel your trip! I hope she was able to see the doctor and is feeling better. As a fellow NYer I cannot imagine driving all that way and having to turn around.

On a positive note, fall is a great time to visit WDW! I just went during the end of September (not October) but the weather was in the high 80s to low 90s. First time I had been to WDW to experience F&W and MNSSHP which were both as Steve would say #amazingexperiences. I would recommend snacking around the world at the various food stations at F&W and taking a day off your park hopper ticket to get a ticket for MNSSHP since you can get into MK at 4pm unless if they are changing things this year.

Thanks.
We went to MNSSHP years ago and loved it.
But friends of ours went this past year and said Disney sold too many tickets and it was so crowded.

So sorry to read about your wife. I hope she's doing better back at home! We used to go the first week of October all the time. It has been a couple of years since we've been able to go that week due to football/marching band conflicts, but it is a lovely week to go. The crowds were generally pretty low/moderate at the start of our week, but picked up a good bit on the weekend because of F&W and Columbus Day holiday weekend.

Weather was a mixed bag. We've had trips where it was perfect weather - upper 70s/low 80s for highs w/ low humidity & nights in the 60s and cool; we've had trips were it wasn't particularly hot, but misted/rained most of the week and was muggy; and we've been when it was like going in the worst of summer - upper 90s w/ a heat index that made it feel more like 110.

F&W is the best as long as you go during the week. Made the mistake of going on a Saturday once. Never again.

So sorry to read about your wife. I hope she's doing better back at home! We used to go the first week of October all the time. It has been a couple of years since we've been able to go that week due to football/marching band conflicts, but it is a lovely week to go. The crowds were generally pretty low/moderate at the start of our week, but picked up a good bit on the weekend because of F&W and Columbus Day holiday weekend.

Weather was a mixed bag. We've had trips where it was perfect weather - upper 70s/low 80s for highs w/ low humidity & nights in the 60s and cool; we've had trips were it wasn't particularly hot, but misted/rained most of the week and was muggy; and we've been when it was like going in the worst of summer - upper 90s w/ a heat index that made it feel more like 110.

F&W is the best as long as you go during the week. Made the mistake of going on a Saturday once. Never again.

Thanks for the feedback

If you can go then, I would recommend late October to early November for your trip. At that time, it's pretty crowded but manageable, and the weather is nice and comfortable. Actually, we went at that time last year (from 22/10-4/11) and it was pretty chilly for the first several days. So we always brought a jacket with us, to wear in the evenings. That's unusual, though; at the end of our trip, when we got to Universal for three days, it was hot most of the time -- hot enough to do their extremely wet water rides.

We didn't do the Halloween party last year, but have done it in previous years (2012, 2013, 2015) and always found that most rides were a walk on or had much shorter waits than usual. I hope that hasn't changed. I doubt it; even if a party is oversold, the meet and greets, treat lines and other special events eat up so many party goers that the rides probably still have short waits.

If you can go then, I would recommend late October to early November for your trip. At that time, it's pretty crowded but manageable, and the weather is nice and comfortable. Actually, we went at that time last year (from 22/10-4/11) and it was pretty chilly for the first several days. So we always brought a jacket with us, to wear in the evenings. That's unusual, though; at the end of our trip, when we got to Universal for three days, it was hot most of the time -- hot enough to do their extremely wet water rides.

We didn't do the Halloween party last year, but have done it in previous years (2012, 2013, 2015) and always found that most rides were a walk on or had much shorter waits than usual. I hope that hasn't changed. I doubt it; even if a party is oversold, the meet and greets, treat lines and other special events eat up so many party goers that the rides probably still have short waits.

Thanks. We were thinking of late October but thought it would be more crowded.

We also had the same experience when we went years ago but our friends said all the lines were huge. Candy line was 45 mins, meet and great with Sally was 2 hours...

Last edited:
Thanks. We were thinking of late October but thought it would be more crowded.

We also had the same experience when we went years ago but our friends said all the lines were huge. Candy line was 45 mins, meet and great with Sally was 2 hours...

Maybe they oversell the Halloween Party now. If that's the case, you have two options for short waits to headliner attractions: rope drop/EMH, or getting in line shortly before closing time. We used the latter strategy, and it worked beautifully. We breezed into TSMM, Na'vi River, and had a relatively short wait for 7DMT, by getting in line in the last hour or half hour of park operation. In the case of TSMM, we rode three times in the last hour before closing time. FEA at Epcot took about 30-35 min., but this was during the Food and Wine Festival, and that's a short wait for that ride. I got in line around 8:30, and got out just when Illuminations was wrapping up.

Also, as you may know, the Magic Kingdom is normally much quieter on Party days. When the party starts, we either call it a night or hop to another park.

According to crowd calendars, the first week of November is a quiet time at Disney. We would have included that week, but were initially planning to do a Halloween Party.

Early October may be less crowded, but it will probably be hotter, and you also have to avoid the weekend of Columbus Day, which falls on Monday, Oct. 8 this year.

P.S.: Avoid visiting AK and MK on Mondays. We went to AK on a Monday, and it was a zoo (so to speak). Most people arrive at WDW on Monday, and AK seems to be a top choice now for the first park to visit, because of Pandora.
Everything had a long line, not just Pandora rides. We got stuck in an endless switchback for Safaris, missed our Dinosaur FP, and went straight to Guest Services to request restitution. They gave us new FPs at AK and for Epcot, our second park of the day.

Thanks.
We went to MNSSHP years ago and loved it.
But friends of ours went this past year and said Disney sold too many tickets and it was so crowded.
The night of our party was not bad. Meet and Great lines were crazy (not worth it) but we were able to get a nice spot for the fireworks 20 minutes before. Park started to really empty out before 2nd parade. We were walking around Fantasyland near Be Our Guest and no one else was around besides a photopass photographer which was amazing!

Sounds like you made a great decision, hard to make but you're right, it would not be as much fun even if you could have gotten a prescription for pain medication. Better to be comfortable later and really enjoy the trip. Happy Anniversary!
We have been in October every year since 2008 - totally lovely time to go! Echo previous posters' remarks about doing Food & Wine during the week . It is a really fun time to be in Epcot but not on Friday/Saturday/Sundays .... Usually mild weather during the day and sometimes you need a jacket at night, but don't forget a few long pants - we were surprised by an overnight low of 34 last year!
Best wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery and I'm so glad that Disney was awesome about refunding all of your costs :)

Sounds like you made a great decision, hard to make but you're right, it would not be as much fun even if you could have gotten a prescription for pain medication. Better to be comfortable later and really enjoy the trip. Happy Anniversary!
We have been in October every year since 2008 - totally lovely time to go! Echo previous posters' remarks about doing Food & Wine during the week . It is a really fun time to be in Epcot but not on Friday/Saturday/Sundays .... Usually mild weather during the day and sometimes you need a jacket at night, but don't forget a few long pants - we were surprised by an overnight low of 34 last year!
Best wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery and I'm so glad that Disney was awesome about refunding all of your costs :)

Thank you

Sorry to hear about your anniversary trip. I have carpal tunnel, and I remember the excruciating pain, numbness, and tingling that run from my neck, through my upper back, and all the way down to my fingers. I found that a a muscle relaxer, like flexeril, helped me, but it may not work for everyone. I don't have any advice about surgery, because I managed to get mine mostly under control for over 20 years and haven't needed surgery. I would suggest a good book about proper computer workstation set up even after surgery.

As far as October, we went the very first week of November this year and the weather was awesome. Food & Wine is great, and the parks are decorated for Halloween/Fall. The Halloween parties are occurring then too. Make sure it's not during the Wine & Dine Half Marathon, unless you want to participate in that. Here's to wishing for an amazing trip.

Sorry to hear about your anniversary trip. I have carpal tunnel, and I remember the excruciating pain, numbness, and tingling that run from my neck, through my upper back, and all the way down to my fingers. I found that a a muscle relaxer, like flexeril, helped me, but it may not work for everyone. I don't have any advice about surgery, because I managed to get mine mostly under control for over 20 years and haven't needed surgery. I would suggest a good book about proper computer workstation set up even after surgery.

As far as October, we went the very first week of November this year and the weather was awesome. Food & Wine is great, and the parks are decorated for Halloween/Fall. The Halloween parties are occurring then too. Make sure it's not during the Wine & Dine Half Marathon, unless you want to participate in that. Here's to wishing for an amazing trip.

Thank you.
Surgery is Wednesday. She had nerve test and it showed it’s very severe in right hand and severe in left.
Pain hasn’t let up at all but pain meds are helping.
Looking forward to October !

Very sorry to hear that you had to cancel your trip. Much better decision to address your wife's health issues! Sending positive thoughts that your wife will feel better and that you will have a FABULOUS time when you reschedule your trip!:daisy::goodvibes

Very sorry to hear that you had to cancel your trip. Much better decision to address your wife's health issues! Sending positive thoughts that your wife will feel better and that you will have a FABULOUS time when you reschedule your trip!:daisy::goodvibes

Thank you

Spent the last evening of our spring break trip here...

i-t3g9Grt-M.jpg

...in 2012 with a VERY infected finger. It bothered me slightly at the beginning of the trip and by the 6th day I was in excruciating pain! I was given a pain killer and antibiotics for the trip home the next day with instructions to go straight to the ER when we got home. Still had the BEST time on the trip...until the last day. With that said...October is a great time to visit! I love the fall decorations, cooler weather and MNSSHP...crowded or not. You'll find the delayed trip delightful! Wishing your wife the best with her surgery...and a speedy recovery. :goodvibes :tink:

Spent the last evening of our spring break trip here...

i-t3g9Grt-M.jpg

...in 2012 with a VERY infected finger. It bothered me slightly at the beginning of the trip and by the 6th day I was in excruciating pain! I was given a pain killer and antibiotics for the trip home the next day with instructions to go straight to the ER when we got home. Still had the BEST time on the trip...until the last day. With that said...October is a great time to visit! I love the fall decorations, cooler weather and MNSSHP...crowded or not. You'll find the delayed trip delightful! Wishing your wife the best with her surgery...and a speedy recovery. :goodvibes :tink:

Thank you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter