• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Made it as far as NC, Had to Cancel Trip and Come Home ☹️

Roy Disney

Mouseketeer
Nothing worse than expecting to be checking into your hotel in DisneyWorld today but coming home instead.
This was our 30th Anniversary trip and the first trip without our 2 daughters.
A few days ago my wife woke up with pain in her right hand and 3 numb fingers.
She went to an orthopedic Dr who told her she had carpal tunnel. He said she would most likely need surgery. She told him we were going to Disney in a few days, so he gave her a cortisone shot and told her she should feel better in a day or two.
She was taking Motrin and Tylenol around the clock for pain.
We drove from NY Saturday morning and got to Roanoke Rapids NC. The pain in her hand got much worse and would come and go (She was crying from the pain and my wife has been through a lot and has had a lot of surgeries and can handle pain pretty well).
She called her dr trying to see if he could call in a pain killer but he said he couldn’t call in a narcotic in another state.
We planned on staying over in Florence SC but I didn’t want to drive another 2 1/2 hours if we might not go to Disney. We got a hotel and talked about what to do. She really wanted to go and felt bad for me if we didn’t go. I told her I didn’t mind canceling and that she wouldn’t have a good time if she was in constant pain and numbness. She’s a rightie so she couldn’t use her right hand. She said what if the shot starts working tomorrow then I’ll feel better. I told her there’s no guarantee the shot will help tomorrow or even this week and you can’t count on that. She also has high blood pressure and the Motrin was raising it a lot.
I convinced her it wasn’t worth it to risk her health to go and spend all that money and be miserable. She agreed and I called Disney and got a very nice woman who refunded us all of our money plus the $200 deposit. And this was the night before we were supposed to check in.
So, now we are looking at the first week in October to go back.
Has anyone gone that time and is it a good time to go crowd and weather wise ?
Are there any deals during October?

Thanks

“Disappointed and back in NY”

Last edited:

We did. We called a lot of them and they said they don’t prescribe narcotics.

Some do, some don't. Because some addicts are shopping for doctors who give out pain meds, I see all saying they don't over the phone, but it still may be case-by-case. The ER for sure would do it case-by-case. I took my son to the ER last month and they had signs everywhere about not giving narcotics, etc. My son cut the tip of his finger at work, the nurse saw how stressed he was and offered him narcotics to take the ease off without us even asking for meds.

I think in your case, the doctor would have contacted your home doctor. I am familiar with the Florence area, my mom lives near the hospital there.

I suppose we are lucky here, we have Orthopedic Urgent Care that takes walk ins.

I am so sorry. FWIW, I've been twice in October and loved it. Good weather and the autumn decorations are really fun.

So sorry for your troubles, and your wife's pain, that's no fun at all.

That's one of our favorite times to go, just watch out for that 3 day weekend around Columbus day (the 8th), as it can be busier at that weekend esp. with Food and Wine. Also with Food and Wine, if you want to hang out in EPCOT a lot, aim for weekdays, as Friday and Saturday nights are usually nuts. Weather can be cooler compared to the blast furnace of summer, usually when the sun goes down it cools off, but in full sun it can be almost as hot as Summer, it just depends. Crowds have seemed pretty consistent at that time of year now, no real slow time, but we've always found it manageable esp. since we rope drop.

Oh, I'm sorry about your wife's pain. Hope she can get everything sorted out soon. You did the right thing, but man, how disappointing. Now you can look forward to October. The weather is beautiful, Halloween decorations are up. The fall is a wonderful time to visit. Disney.

Oh, I'm sorry about your wife's pain. Hope she can get everything sorted out soon. You did the right thing, but man, how disappointing. Now you can look forward to October. The weather is beautiful, Halloween decorations are up. The fall is a wonderful time to visit. Disney.

Than you

Nothing worse than expecting to be checking into your hotel in DisneyWorld today but coming home instead.
This was our 30th Anniversary trip and the first trip without our 2 daughters.
A few days ago my wife woke up with pain in her right hand and 3 numb fingers.
She went to an orthopedic Dr who told her she had carpal tunnel. He said she would most likely need surgery. She told him we were going to Disney in a few days, so he gave her a cortisone shot and told her she should feel better in a day or two.
She was taking Motrin and Tylenol around the clock for pain.
We drove from NY Saturday morning and got to Roanoke Rapids NC. The pain in her hand got much worse and would come and go (She was crying from the pain and my wife has been through a lot and has had a lot of surgeries and can handle pain pretty well).
She called her dr trying to see if he could call in a pain killer but he said he couldn’t call in a narcotic in another state.
We planned on staying over in Florence SC but I didn’t want to drive another 2 1/2 hours if we might not go to Disney. We got a hotel and talked about what to do. She really wanted to go and felt bad for me if we didn’t go. I told her I didn’t mind canceling and that she wouldn’t have a good time if she was in constant pain and numbness. She’s a rightie so she could use her right hand. She said what if the shot starts working tomorrow then I’ll feel better. I told her there’s no guarantee the shot will help tomorrow or even this week and you can’t count on that. She also has high blood pressure and the Motrin was raising it a lot.
I convinced her it wasn’t worth it to risk her health to go and spend all that money and be miserable. She agreed and I called Disney and got a very nice woman who refunded us all of our money plus the $200 deposit. And this was the night before we were supposed to check in.
So, now we are looking at the first week in October to go back.

Thanks

“Disappointed and back in NY”
I feel so bad for all of you. Your poor wife. I hope that she feels better soon. I’m so impressed that Disney refunded your entire trip. I always worry about something going wrong and losing all that money.

I feel so bad for all of you. Your poor wife. I hope that she feels better soon. I’m so impressed that Disney refunded your entire trip. I always worry about something going wrong and losing all that money.

Thank you.
I was worried about that too.

Our last trip was over the last week of September first week of October. The parks weren't overly full. We did the MNSSHP and checked out F&W. We were able to get all the ADRs we were looking for and did a couple of special tours. Autumn is a great time to check out the parks. I hope your wife is feeling better soon.

Our last trip was over the last week of September first week of October. The parks weren't overly full. We did the MNSSHP and checked out F&W. We were able to get all the ADRs we were looking for and did a couple of special tours. Autumn is a great time to check out the parks. I hope your wife is feeling better soon.

Thank you.
How was the weather?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter