Lunch with an imagineer: Review of solo traveller

I'm 38yrs old and did a solo trip a few months ago to WDW and had the time of my life! I walked about 51 miles in just over 4 days -- I was at rope drop at most places, park hopped and finished most nights off with Wishes and then headed over to Disney Springs for some people watching. I stayed at the POR- French Quarter and it was a great room -- only steps from the bus stop and honestly, for the amount of time I spent in the room -- it was perfect. Somedays, I had no plans and just hopped onto the first bus that came by. I pin traded to my heart's content and ate at most of the must-eat-restaurants (I didn't do Cinderella's Royal Table, but I'm not really into character dining, so it wasn't really a big deal).

I admit, I'm a loner. I like doing things when I want, when I want and being able to change plans at a moment's notice without really hurting anybody's feelings. I do have a husband and two young kids (yes, we've done Disney with them too and I love being with them and we spend tons of times together going on road trips, day camps, and shuttling them around to their various activities...we're even returning to WDW for our soon to be 5yr old's princess birthday..... so when I do get alone time, I like being ALONE....so don't be too judgemental of me)

I do want to give my review of Lunch with an Imagineer. I was super excited to get this reservation -- and I wasn't really sweating it, since it's fairly easy to get into any of the restaurants if you are solo.
I LOVE food -- I love cooking and trying new things and was looking forward to one of the best lunches on WDW property. I wasn't disappointed on that aspect -- the chopped salad was phenomenal --- I even had to ask the waiter how they determine who gets the job of chopping up the lettuce so finely... they apparently just pop it into a machine called a hopper (?!?!?!) and that does the job. And the grapefruit cake was unbelievable -- so light and airy... wow. I found myself chatting with the waiter and found him a bit more interesting than the imagineer -- but I'm such a foodie -- I love watching cooking shows, Anthony Bourdain, Andrew Zimmern and finding new things to cook and/or eat. The imagineer himself was fairly interesting too -- I can't remember his name since it was several months ago, but he had a lot to do with the Main Street Hub in Magic Kingdom and the main street in HS. We did get a fancy plate at the end and the bonus for me was all the recipes from our lunch!! WOW! If I was basing my review, I would give it five stars, but here is where I get to the negative....

1. You have to eat with other people. Now, I'm all for meeting new people and making new friends, but this was not great. Have you ever been on an airplane to Las Vegas, and the guy next to you can't stop talking to you ? Or you're in a Starbucks and the person next to you is having a conversation on his phone while on speakerphone at full volume? Or you're at one of those Teppanyaki places at a shared table, and the family next to you is doing their best to not let their two year old crawl onto the grill (yes, that's happened to me)?!?!. This was like that..... you have to deal with other people's annoying habits... now, I"m not perfect, but still, I have basic etiquette skills. The lady next to me was texting constantly -- and she even apologized to me about it. It wasn't an emergency.... it was a business meeting -- she was texting her interior designer about the color of the paint for a room because they were putting it on the market that afternoon. (!?!?!?!?!?). The two ladies across the table from me (dressed up in cosplay Snow White and Belle) were complaining about the food -- they didn't want salad and were grossed out by the moldy blue cheese so they flat out refused to eat it. And the family who probably took up the most spaces at the table (a family of 5) looked flat out bored of their minds. The two "teenagers" were about to graduate high school and their parents were trying to land them a job at Disney....I'll address that in a minute, but here is my "gross out moment --- the teenage son.... we were served filet mignon with mashed potatoes..... while the imagineer was speaking and telling his anecdotes and things that he's done with Disney, the son would scoop up his mashed potatoes with a spoon and rather than just putting the spoon into his mouth, he would slowly lick the potatoes off his spoon with his tongue. UGH!! I was gagging.... and it wasn't like I couldn't watch him or avert my eyes, I was seated at the very opposite end of the table to the imagineer..... so if I looked to my right, I see the lady texting, if I look to my left, I see Snow White and Belle scoffing at their food..... and if I look straight ahead, I see the teenage son licking his potatoes. This probably went on for a good 15 minutes. And I could barely pay attention to the imagineer because I was so grossed out. This was straight out of a movie gone wrong.

2. The end of the lunch turned into college recruitment.... which is probably why the family with the teenagers were asking so many questions about how to get a job at Disney and what degrees the guy had and who they need to know to get in. Short of pointing them in the direction of the Human Resource building, the imagineer entertained all of their questions and it just snowballed into a 20 minute discussion of what you should study in college and how you apply for an internship and blah blah blah.

I don't know -- I don't think I have that high standards when it comes to etiquette, but this was ridiculous... I really didn't think that this was worth $79 + tax and tip.....

Sorry to offend anybody, but this was my honest experience and opinion. Please don't judge me!!!

Thank you for the fantastic write up. I really appreciate the detail and both the good and bad points.

We sound exactly alike and should meet up for some solo time at WDW - lol - sounds like we attack the parks the same. Even when I go with DH, I spend about 1/2 of each day solo (I don't know how he can not be up at the crack of dawn when Disney is right outside our door!!!). That's usually when I'll go meet my Disney characters, especially Tink!

I'm really sorry what should have been a wonderful and interesting lunch turned out to be just gross. How rude to the Imagineer as well. I hope the recipes at least made up for some of it.

Sounds like it wasn't worth it due to rude guests, not the offering or Imagineer. DS has done it many times and always had excellent experiences. And he tries all the time so even getting for one can be hard.

Just like some deluxe resort guests .......... money can't buy manners. Sorry you got stuck with such a bad bunch.

Sounds like you had a dud of an experience. I went solo to this lunch this past June and had a fabulous time. I knew going in that there would be other people there and even though I get shy and have some anxiety about new social situations I am fascinated with Disney history and my love of Disney won out. We too had some talk about internships as there were 2 recent high school grads. But it seemed like all at the table were more interested in the Imagineer's stories. Luckily for me everyone had good table manners too! I would most definitely do this lunch again, but it just hasn't fit into the agenda again.

Your review has inspired me to launch my new offering exclusively to CMS: "Lunch with a Disney Guest." You'll have the full attention and respect of your Disney guest while you spin yarns about your experiences as a WDW CM. The package includes guests with excellent table manners and the ability to ask interesting questions related to your experiences. The experience concludes with a photo opp and a sincere thank you for a wonderful and enlightening opportunity. ;)

I do most of my Disney Park traveling solo, and you sound a lot like me!!!

I'm really sorry about the experience you had at Dine with the Imagineer! There is no excuse for such awful manners. I have done this lunch multiple times and most were excellent (one time there was a medical emergency with one of the guests during the meal, but that's out of Disney's control). Every time I have attended, though, there is at least one family, sometimes more, who are mostly focused on how to assist their child in eventually becoming an Imagineer. I'm sure the Imagineers have come to expect that, but it does get tiresome if that conversation goes on awhile.

Hopefully, you can return and try this experience again at some point, and hopefully it will be better! It is a hard reservation to come by, even for one person.

I like being ALONE....so don't be too judgemental of me
Nothing wrong with that! I have done 4 solo trips so far and love them. I have two more planned this year.

Sorry to offend anybody, but this was my honest experience and opinion. Please don't judge me!!!
Thanks for your honest review. I am sad that it turned out badly for you. (And the mashed potatoes...lol...wow! I would be mortified if one of my kids ate like that in public.) I recommend trying again. We have done the lunch 3 times and loved every time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter