• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Losing the Magic

I hear a lot of people saying that Disney World is "losing the magic" or that the "magic is being eroded"... how so? I still love it!
Once upon a time you would get a “Welcome _____ Family” booklet in the mail a few months before your trip. That was magical.

Once upon a time you would get those yellow luggage tags in the mail a few weeks before your trip. That was magical.

Once upon a time you would land at the airport, walk to the Magical Express and be whisked to your hotel. No thoughts of luggage. That was magical.

Once upon a time your luggage would appear in your room like magic. That was magical.

I still love it, too. But WDW has become industry standard where it once was magical.

I hear a lot of people saying that Disney World is "losing the magic" or that the "magic is being eroded"... how so? I still love it!
It also depends on how often you go. I am an annual passholder in Disneyland Paris. I go about 3 - 5 times a year, sometimes I feel a little disappointed, sometimes I am content. During my visit in June 2021 after the second reopening I thought 'is this it'? Because the visit after the first reopening a year before was incredibly magical. I had fresh memories to compare it with.

I have visited Disney World twice, in 2012 and 2015. I will visit the parks again this May. I have great memories from 2015, but there are not really top of mind anymore. It will be like visiting a new park.

Ah yes the 90's. Sometimes I feel like the people who defend Disney so aggressively have not been in the 90's. Truly magical. Walk into MK at 10:00 and practically have Main St. to yourself. No planning needed. Walk on rides with literally no wait time. CM's could not do enough for you. Food was excellent. It was just so unbelievably amazing that you can't describe it adequately. It had to be experienced.

Now, I feel like Disney is on par with any local amusement park. I'm all for change and growth but I feel like they lost something along the way. It's now quantity over quality. Trying to pack in as many people, charge more and take away perks. I truly hope something changes and this is just growing pains from the pandemic. I do think they are so crowded right now from all those people who didn't travel the last couple of years are now traveling and getting their Disney fix. Clearly they are doing something right and lots of people don't mind the current state of things because from what I see and hear online, they are extremely busy.

I will agree that Disney is slacking with providing magical moments. My DD’s first times going were in 2000 (2yrs old) and 2004 (13 months old) and we took them every year until 2012, except 2007 when we took them on DCL. When we returned this past November we compared a lot of our trip to past trips, and we all agreed that we are so glad our little girls were able to experience WDW the way it was then instead of how it is today. So many little things that I didn’t see now that my girls loved back then. I’m also trying to remember if anyone told me to have a magical day - at one time you heard that everywhere you went.

Now….don’t get me wrong…..we had a very awesome trip, and my DD18 are already wanting to return asap. DH was just ok with WDW this past time, so he told us he would go one day with us, but the rest of the trip he’ll do his own thing when we go to the parks (he would rather go to Cape Canaveral). I have no idea when we’ll return, so until then DD and I watch this family on YouTube and we feel like we’re at WDW every time they are there, which is all the time - LOL!

Going to echo some here. The cutting of perks, higher prices, complicated planning, major decline of CS and elimination of promos has really tarnished it for me. There also were a sprinkle of dates you could go to avoid Christmas like crowds. The frustrating thing is how a lot of the changes were "thought" to be in relation to covid. But it seems like Disney kind of became fond of their new measures and are looking to make things even worse. I don't blame them as the parks are packed with people who either A. had no idea how it use to be or B. are willing to either go into debt or have piles of money.

No, in fact I've heard people are being turned away at the gate from using tickets they just bought because it doesn't require you to make a reservation for that park when you buy a ticket. Also, you CAN park hop but only after 2 PM, and ONLY if that park isn't considered "full"...and you can't hop to another park after that.

This is partially incorrect. If you buy tickets on Disney's site there are a lot of warnings about reservations and it will let you check for them as part of the process - though you can still buy without doing it. If you buy through third-parties though it may be less clear.

Also, regarding hopping, you can hop after 2 PM (1 PM at Disneyland) and rarely has it happened that a park was closed to hopping - I think only at MK on the actual date of the 50th and maybe over the holidays. This has not been a significant obstacle. You can also continue to hop to any park after 2 PM - as much as you want.

Last edited:
Going to echo some here. The cutting of perks, higher prices, complicated planning, major decline of CS and elimination of promos has really tarnished it for me. There also were a sprinkle of dates you could go to avoid Christmas like crowds. The frustrating thing is how a lot of the changes were "thought" to be in relation to covid. But it seems like Disney kind of became fond of their new measures and are looking to make things even worse. I don't blame them as the parks are packed with people who either A. had no idea how it use to be or B. are willing to either go into debt or have piles of money.
What perks were cut besides Magical Express, (which I agree is a major loss)?

If you're referring to Extra Magic Hours, Early Theme Park Entry (or Extra Magic Half Hours, as I call them) is actually an expansion of the program, particularly when combined with Extended Evening Hours.

It's different now. It will never be like it was prior to 2020. Of course, in 2019 it was not like it was in 2000. Everyone reacts differently to the changes. Some adapt, and some don't.

Some of the prior touchpoints I remember were:
9-11 and the resulting downturn in business due to many guests refusing to fly or gather in large groups for awhile. Lots was cut but most eventually returned
Pleasure Island closing
Dynamic pricing
FastPass
Parking charges at resorts
Price increases
Changes in perk offerings for onsite guests
COVID-19 shutdowns and ongoing effect
Park reservations
Genie +

There will be more, all of those things were the straw that broke the camel's back for somebody.

What perks were cut besides Magical Express, (which I agree is a major loss)?

If you're referring to Extra Magic Hours, Early Theme Park Entry (or Extra Magic Half Hours, as I call them) is actually an expansion of the program, particularly when combined with Extended Evening Hours.

I think some of the perks besides magical express were the free fp system, and free magic bands. I heard the bands are no longer free, but not sure if that's true.

Things change, a lot of people are resistant to change. I don't think Disney is losing the magic, I think it is just changing and adapting as it always has.

I think, in general, the fan community has done a poor job of placing "blame" for things they don't like. If you don't like the merchandise shortage, blame COVID. If you don't like the staffing shortage, blame COVID and the federal government. If you don't like the loss of Magical Express, blame Disney. I think people in general are just in a crabby mood and they're laying it on Disney's doorstep. It's not that Disney in particular sucks right now, the whole world kind of sucks right now.

Things change, a lot of people are resistant to change. I don't think Disney is losing the magic, I think it is just changing and adapting as it always has.

Yeah, and these things are cyclical too. They are bringing some stuff back, but there are challenges there too. It'll swing back, it always does.

Too much planning. It used to be fun but not anymore. Too much work and too many hoops to jump thru. Haven't used Genie+ plus and not looking forward to it. I don't want to be on my phone all day, I actually don't want to be on my phone at all during vacation. Some of the magic is also gone because of us, how we want to vacation/travel ourselves. I don't find a WDW vacation relaxing. I find less fun standing in long lines.

I don't think it's that people are resistant to change at all. I'm all for change if it's for the better. But charging more and giving you less isn't positive change IMO. Taking a good thing and letting it go downhill is also not positive change IMO.

Obviously people are going in droves so the masses must not mind, and I am happy that many people are enjoying the parks, but we have taken Disney off our vacation list and I don't see us going back any time soon. I feel they are trying to find their footing post pandemic and figure out crowds, pricing, staffing etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter