Looking for ideas...

lorijohnhill

DIS Veteran
I just received the results of my daughters end of the year assessment tests. These are nationwide tests to show the student's progress and to help make decisions on their grade level assignments for the next year.

She scored in the top 1% of third grade students for Literature Arts, top 6% for Reading, and top 19% for Math. I am so proud of her!

Some background:
She had a REALLY rough 2nd grade year due to some nasty bullying which lead us to pulling her out of school two weeks before the end of the year. She has ADHD and a worsening anxiety disorder. This year has been a lot of work to bring her back to "herself" again. We put her in our school district's online academy (she still has a teacher, the same curriculum with added courses, and a classroom where she can get help if needed), but I was nervous about doing this. Her test scores gave me the confidence that we did the right thing! She has earned straight "A's" for each of the three trimesters!

Anyway, we are heading to DLR at the end of May to enjoy and experience the 60th Anniversary Celebration. I would like to have a little surprise for her while we are there, but need something that is relatively inexpensive. I also want it to be "worth" the cost. The In-Room Celebrations are WAY out of my budget. I'm looking for suggestions for something that will make her know just how proud I am of her without breaking the bank.

I'm looking forward to seeing your suggestions! Thank you all!

That might work... If I purchased a gift card from the hotel, do you think they would leave it in the room for her while we were in the park? Maybe with a balloon?

Any other suggestions??? :)

How wonderful! Good for her! And you, wtg mama! It's heartbreaking as a parent to see your child having a hard time. Dd isn't bullied, but she's shy and not aggressive at all so i constantly worry shes getting overrun (which she does sometimes)

Dd is about the same age, so i think doing anything thats all about "her" is good.
The gc just for her idea is great!
Maybe a princess makeover if she's into that. You could even bring some makeup and nail polish and do it yourself.
Maybe a special button to commerate the accomplishment.
Ice cream sundaes for lunch?

If she likes the princesses, doing something at the BBB would be a great idea. You could buy the dress ahead of time and just do the makeup and hair package. They do a wonderful job and all day long the characters and princesses will acknowledge her and make her feel very special.

My mom is going with us, so we get to stay at the Grand Californian! I'm so excited about that!

The resorts won't put anything in the rooms except food. I replied on a post earlier about ordering Mickey rice krispie treats and cookies. It's about $40-$50 and you can have them waiting with buttons and a personalized card in your room.

What about a special meal like a character breakfast or something?

I know many people like to get little gifts for their kids before going. Like purchasing a different present for each day (a shirt, sun glasses, etc.) and then give them out each morning before going to the park.

We did a trip to celebrate DD 6th birthday last year where it was "her" day - she got to pick all of the rides/restaurants/activities etc for the whole day, it was a lot of fun to see what she wanted to do next (we had nothing planned), and she felt really special as the day pretty much revolved around her (there was defiantly face painting and ice cream involved I can tell you!).

You could bring along little things to make a gift basket. As you leave for the day just say you forgot something and run back to the room to place on the bed for her return. A gift card is always fun which is easy to buy ahead of time, maybe you could pop into WoD really quick when she's not around and buy a special pin with the year on it. You could also get a Mickey sucker or some type of disney treat to add to it.

Wow, so happy for your daughter's accomplishments! My son is 7 and in first grade and we just recently had to deal with some bullying at school. It's no fun at all and I fear it getting worse as they get older.
Hey, I noticed that you are in Sac. I'm in Davis and will be going down for the 24hr. party on the 22nd. Send me a message if you would like me to pick up anything for you from the parks, like celebration buttons, special treats, etc. I love shopping, so I wouldn't mind at all :) Also, if you order the Disney gift cards online then you can pick out special ones with her favorite character and include a personalized card.
Hope you all have a magical trip!

Just wanted to say how totally awesome it is that your daughter kicked butt on those tests!! Fabulous job!!

Since you are staying at the GCH, whoever has the reservation in their name should CALL Disney ahead of time and mention what you are celebrating and have them put a note about it in the reservation. then when you check in, tell the check in person, too. There will be a chance that you might get some special extras.

I took my son and his family for their first trip when the grandkids were in kindergarten and third grade. We also stayed at the GCH. The kids were so excited when we got in the room they were checking out the balcony and very thing!

In my carry-on bag I had brought Disney pillowcases and letters to them as a surprise.

As they were checking everything out, I slipped the special Disney pillowcases on their bed pillows. Placed their individual envelopes on their bed and waited for them to notice.

I had made some special Disney stationary and wrote each of them a personalized "Welcome" letter from Mickey and Minnie. They couldn't believe Mickey and Minnie would leave them mail in the room and give them pillowcases too!

With enough distraction you can pull off a special surprise. Since your mom will be with you that could help too. While your mom and daughter look around the gift shop, you could go up to the room and set up the surprise. Then race down to the gift shop to join them. When you return to the room she'll see the surprise.

Enjoy your trip.

Geemo

congrats to your daughter! both times we have stayed at the GCH I've brought gift bags for our girls. I put in a Disney gift card so they can buy something they like, Disney PJs (usually purchased online or Target/Walmart before the trip), glow sticks, a Disney themed purse, hair clips, crayons, etc. I bought everything ahead of time - some items from the dollar store - and put it in a cute bag. You could include a note that says "We heard you did awesome at school. A gift to congratulate you! Love, Mickey Mouse"

when the girls were busy in the bathroom or other I would set the bag outside the door and then knock on the wall or something. they girls would run to the door and find the bags - super easy and sweet!

it is so super fun...and so much cheaper than buying things in the park! enjoy the celebration!!

....and last time I printed up these letters and gave each of the girls $50 - they loved this as well.

Below is the text of the letter if it's helpful.

Dear NAME, (this daughter was particularly into Star Wars so I tailored the letter to this....she also got to meet Darth Vader on this trip which was a crazy HUGE highlight!)....anyway....

Hi ya pal! Your mom and dad told me that you are coming to DISNEYLAND!!! I’ll bet you are on the airplane right now! I’m super excited that you get to come back for a few days of fun and relaxation!

Your mom and dad also told me that you have been working REALLY hard at school! You have good grades, awesome behavior and are speaking French! VERY IMPRESSIVE!!! So as a reward, here is a gift card with $50 to spend at Disneyland on whatever you would like. Did you know that you can build your very own light saber and there is an ENTIRE store with Star Wars stuff! I bet you will have fun shopping!

It’s been a pretty long time since you were here. In fact, I think it was two years ago when you were just six years old…and now you are already eight!! Gee whiz that was such a fun trip wasn’t it! Remember how happy you were to track down Jessie and buy your Bullseye horse!

Enjoy your plane ride today, hang out in California and I’ll see you at Disneyland tomorrow morning! Also be sure to check out Cars Town – a super fun new area – and the Little Mermaid ride. Plus I think you just might enjoy the Star Tours ride with C3PO and R2D2 and also the Jedi Training Academy…I’ve heard that Darth Vader might be lurking about!

I also want to remind you that the characters will NOT come up to you. You don’t have to be afraid when you see us walking around the park. I do hope that this time you might want to come and see me but if not, I understand.

So come on over to Disneyland! I can’t wait to see you!!

Your friend,
Mickey Mouse

Walmart, Target and the Dollar Tree stores all have Disney items so you could easily find supplies to get for your trip to surprise your daughter with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter