Looking for advice on stopping at the New River Gorge in WV

disneygrandma

Mickey Fan
On our trip down in late May, we'll be driving near the New River Gorge. We're thinking about the possibility of stopping in the area for the night and would like to spend some time exploring the sights there. We would love to get some recommendations of places to stay, along with some suggestions for areas that you think would be priority for a short visit, highlights, etc.

We would appreciate any advice that we could get on the area. Thanks so much!

I love stopping at the parking area next to the bridge on my drives.
There are not a lot of hotels nearby - south there are two low end motels. North there are a few places including a Hampton in Summerville - I would choose that if rates were acceptable. Go further south to Bradley/Beckley and there are many. I use Google to display hotels and see ratings and get a start on rates for the dates - but assume higher as they show you the lowest booking engines that I won't use. You could also use Expedia etc. to search Beckley.

Go look at the national park web site too!

My husband and I visited the New River Gorge National Park last July. We had a good time. It’s nothing like visiting National Parks like Zion or Glacier, but still has great views and you don’t have to plan out things a year in advance. It was just the 2 of us so we stayed in a 1 bedroom/1bath Airbnb - The Flat on Main - hosted by Harry - it says it’s in Oakhill, WV. If you have a large group going then this place wouldn’t work for you, but if it’s just 2 of you, then I’d highly recommend. You can hear street noise, so if a light sleeper that may bother you. We always take a white noise machine and Harry had a box fan in the bedroom, so we were fine. It was super convenient for getting to the North side of the park - and if you are just going to be there 1night, that’s probably the area you would focus on.
I really like to check out Earth Trekkers for potential itineraries for National Parks. They have one for New River Gorge and it’s an Itinerary for 1to 3 days in the park.
In addition to doing some short hikes, we did the bridge walk and a white water rafting trip.
If you’re only there 1night, I would probably visit the overlooks, do the short hikes that Earth Trekkers recommend and maybe the Bridge Walk if you aren’t afraid of heights - my husband is not crazy about heights, though, and he did fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter