Looking for a lawyer (but what do I search for?)

I've talked to two lawyers. Technically three, but he called when I was tied up, said he would call back the next morning and never did. Both of the lawyers charge by the hour. No offer for a free consultation. Anticipated to take about two hours, maybe two and a half. I've contracted with one lawyer. He has the documents. I'm waiting for him to review them, then have a discussion about things.

So sorry you are going through this. I am glad you have contacted somebody just to make sure that you are getting everything you are entitled to after 32 years.

Good luck Sam - sorry you're having to go through this right now. :(

So sorry you are going through this. I am glad you have contacted somebody just to make sure that you are getting everything you are entitled to after 32 years.
Thank you both. I had a couple of (first) interviews yesterday, and another one lined up for Monday. Unfortunately, they'd all require relocation. Got 16 applications out. Is it possible that seems like a lot, but I know it's not? This sucks! (sorry for the vent).

There are a number of things I'd really like to say to my boss, but until the severance agreement is signed, I don't want to say/do anything that would jeopardize that payout.

There are a number of things I'd really like to say to my boss, but until the severance agreement is signed, I don't want to say/do anything that would jeopardize that payout.
Yeah, probably best to play nice - I would never advise burning a bridge. Never know when it might come back to haunt you.

first-i am so sorry you are having to deal with this. hopefully you can get some great guidance from the attorney you engaged.

secondly-earlier in the thread it was suggested that you contact your college student's financial aid office. i want to express how important this can be, and to use any free time you currently have to pursue this for your student. i say this b/c our household has some unique sources of income that when i was filling out paperwork for our oldest i couldn't find references anywhere as to how i should report it. my interactions with the college financial aid office led me to being educated in how complex the financial aid process is and how some income and assets are entirely exempt and reporting them is disadvantageous to a student. a quick google search shows that severance pay is very limited in being counted (if at all). also-a change in employment/income status needs to be reported to the financial aid office b/c they are able to make changes to the fafsa for the current academic year to reflect the changes which may create eligibility to federal, state and school funds.

best of luck. terrible situation to be in-with that many years in it has to be jarring.

Sorry you're going through this, but it may open a new door. ..I was laid off from a major bank after 27 years. The severance was good and the language was tight. They even had outline of percentage of the people being let go by race, gender, and age group. At that time, employment number was dismal, I keep hearing about taking a pay cut, or take a lower position. Then I found a job with my current company with a 10% increase...7 years later, I'm making 50% more than my old job.

Sorry you're going through this, but it may open a new door. ..I was laid off from a major bank after 27 years. The severance was good and the language was tight. They even had outline of percentage of the people being let go by race, gender, and age group. At that time, employment number was dismal, I keep hearing about taking a pay cut, or take a lower position. Then I found a job with my current company with a 10% increase...7 years later, I'm making 50% more than my old job.
I hope the same happens to me. I'm hearing people are hiring in jobs I'd like to do, but patience and I don't get along. lol

I hope the same happens to me. I'm hearing people are hiring in jobs I'd like to do, but patience and I don't get along. lol
Well, they say there are two vacant jobs out there right now for every unemployed person, so you should have options.

I found out on Thursday that my job is being eliminated (after 32 years 😡). I got a draft of my paperwork yesterday (my last day is October 7). I'd like to have a lawyer look over them to make sure everything is taken care of, I don't think (or feel) anything illegal happened. But, what kind of lawyer would I want? Employment? Contract? Any?

TIA
Is the severance paperwork difficult to understand? The expectations of your soon to be ex-employer should be spelled out pretty clearly along with what you can and can not do by taking the severance pay. If anything about those 2 points seems unexceptable to you then you may want to seek legal advice. Keep in mind that this decision by your employer doesn't mean that you have no value to other employers or people. It would bother me that way and that's what I would have to remind myself. Stuff like this does a job on one's self esteem. I hope you are doing OK.

Is the severance paperwork difficult to understand? The expectations of your soon to be ex-employer should be spelled out pretty clearly along with what you can and can not do by taking the severance pay. If anything about those 2 points seems unexceptable to you then you may want to seek legal advice. Keep in mind that this decision by your employer doesn't mean that you have no value to other employers or people. It would bother me that way and that's what I would have to remind myself. Stuff like this does a job on one's self esteem. I hope you are doing OK.
There is at least one paragraph I don't understand and some I want to make sure I'm reading correctly. There's also some I don't agree with (but not sure how much say I have in it).

I've had two interviews so far, another one lined up for tomorrow, and a phone conversation that may lead to an interview. What sucks is they would all involve relocation, which I *REALLY* don't want to do.

Yes, there are jobs out there, but:
A) Jobs that I want to do
B) Jobs that pay at least near my current salary
C) Jobs that wouldn't require relocation

Aren't as easy to find.

I’m sorry you’re going through this. My husband went through a job elimination at the start of Covid after 25+ years. It was shocking.

Not sure where getting sued got involved in this. Most lawyers offer case evaluation for free. They would have to read the severance agreement to determine if you need their services. If there is no further action needed, why on earth would they charge you? That would be unethical. Certainly if there is some complication, it could require legal services. Been down the severance path. 1 page, 3 paragraphs. Took the attorney 5 minutes to evaluate.
We’ve used attorneys for small consultations over the years and always pay for their time. Just this summer, $300 for a small matter. I wouldn’t trust “free” advice.

To the OP, best wishes. My DH’s job of 18 years was eliminated in February 2020. It was a gut punch for sure but the new one he secured a month later has ended up the best of his long career. May you also find something better quickly.

We’ve used attorneys for small consultations over the years and always pay for their time. Just this summer, $300 for a small matter. I wouldn’t trust “free” advice.

To the OP, best wishes. My DH’s job of 18 years was eliminated in February 2020. It was a gut punch for sure but the new one he secured a month later has ended up the best of his long career. May you also find something better quickly.

I'm so happy to hear your DH found a good job. I have to say in life very often the horrible experiences end up leading to some amazing opportunities that we would not have otherwise been given.

I'm so happy to hear your DH found a good job. I have to say in life very often the horrible experiences end up leading to some amazing opportunities that we would not have otherwise been given.
Thank you and absolutely true in DH’s case. In hind sight he could see that the old job was a sinking ship, but he was comfortable. The push of being eliminated led him to look and the result was a job that he loves and an all around better situation.

For those curious about the lawyer fees. I got the bill. It included 1.5 hours of time for a partner, 0.8 hours for an associate. 0.9 hours of an associates time was set as "no charge".

This included review of the documents and then a conference with me to discuss.

Was it worth the cost?

That is all that matters.

Hopefully they were able to answer your concerns.

I'm so sorry you're going to through this. I'm glad you got your peace of mind. I hope a new job comes through for you too.

I got laid off at the first of the year. And like you, there were jobs out there but that sounded like a good fit, were close to my expected pay range, and in my area were fewer. And there were several jobs that I thought I was well qualified for, but I never got a call about. That's also frustrating. (But I was fortunate that I didn't *need* a job immediately. My husband job can pay for all of our essentials.)

Fortunately, in March, I got offers for 2 jobs that met all my criteria on the same day. Boy did I have a hard time choosing between them... but 6 months into my new job, I am happy with my decision. I hope good news comes for you soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter