Latest School Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
New amendment:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear puppies, shall not be infringed.

Cocker-Spaniel-Puppies-For-Sale-600x600.jpg

A well regulated Militia,

As much as I like puppies, and that’s a cute one. I’m not for opening a convention, to many variables.
I dunno.

I mean, there are many grammatical errors in the Constitution that lead to confusion. For example, look at all of the commas in the second amendment. Heck, one of them separates the subject with its verb.
It's astounding how incomprehensible the entire document is. The Founding Fathers use of semi-colons was atrocious!

So let's NOT protect our students and let this continue. Is that your solution?
I'm against solutions that breed more fear and don't address the issue. Interviews with mass killers show a desire to make a mark on the world, to be known for what they are going to do. The more these events are talked about and covered in the press and online the more copycats will be inspired. Take away that notoriety and you reduce that motive. Do not publicly name suspects. Minimal coverage. No news specials.

Also better gun control. Mandatory background checks, Limit access to all types of semi-automatic guns. I hunted with a bolt action rifle no need to pop off 50 rounds.

And, for clarity, my username "SgtTibbs" is just what my kids took to calling me on WDW trips due to my proclivity for planning and keeping a schedule. I am not military or law enforcement.

Last edited:
It's so sad that 9 children and 1 adult lost theirs lives less than 6 hours ago. Their bodies are barely cold and we don't even know their names. And instead of mourning their loss and learning who they were before their lives were snuffed out early the thread has already taken a turn ...

Isn't that what is done every time? People are told this is not the time, now is the time for mourning and remembrance. And then it gets forgotten until a few weeks later when it happens again.

It's so sad that 9 children and 1 adult lost theirs lives less than 6 hours ago. Their bodies are barely cold and we don't even know their names. And instead of mourning their loss and learning who they were before their lives were snuffed out early the thread has already taken a turn ...

I totally agree!!! Let's mourn the losses. Save the bickering over guns and whatnot for another time and probably another forum.

You really don't think they can plan bell time better if they need to? They can change what is in place now. I live in the poorest state in the country and yet every school has campus police officers. Please do not tell me it can't be made a priority. Make it one and the money will be found.
Poor areas here have officers and medal detectors, because of gangs, fights, drugs - in place for years. Unfortunately the wealthier middle class taxpayers pay for it, we can’t afford to put all that in our schools, with an average property tax bill of $10,000 and a referendum that never passes to help with overcrowding and other necessities our schools need. Of course, all of those who voted no for the referendum are all for hiring police officers for our schools (our JH and HS are across the street from our very well staffed police department).

If a kid wants to shoot at students, but can’t manage to get a gun past medal detectors, he can just wait until school is dismissed, or football game, perhaps a parade... I don’t want to waste my money on a false sense of security when it could be used for education.

I know, by saying waiting for another time, I meant just another thread about gun issues not another tragedy which like Declansdad said will unfortunately probably not be too long. :sad1:

You have to realize that while most people do mourn the loss of life, everyone saying "my thoughts and prayers" doesn't do it anymore. Most people are angry and get angrier every time these things happen. Action has to be taken to help these situations.

Problem is one side doesn't want to lose their rights, the other side doesn't want to do anything to make schools safer and so it goes.

You don't think so? Whether it comes from the district, the state or the federal level, it can be found. I have seen it happen way too many times.
Schools across the country have NEEDED money for MANY projects for MANY years. The money might get found, but by cutting other needed items. Look at all the teacher walkouts in the last few months.

Can you get the money? Sure. But what else suffers because of it?

Poor areas here have officers and medal detectors, because of gangs, fights, drugs - in place for years. Unfortunately the wealthier middle class taxpayers pay for it, we can’t afford to put all that in our schools, with an average property tax bill of $10,000 and a referendum that never passes to help with overcrowding and other necessities our schools need. Of course, all of those who voted no for the referendum are all for hiring police officers for our schools (our JH and HS are across the street from our very well staffed police department).

If a kid wants to shoot at students, but can’t manage to get a gun past medal detectors, he can just wait until school is dismissed, or football game, perhaps a parade... I don’t want to waste my money on a false sense of security when it could be used for education.

We don't have parades at school so not sure about that one. Football games--there is a fence around the field isn't there? There is to every field I have been to. The entire crowd comes in one maybe two gates. Not hard.

If those kids are safe in that school building and while they are in school, how is that a "false sense of security"??

Schools across the country have NEEDED money for MANY projects for MANY years. The money might get found, but by cutting other needed items. Look at all the teacher walkouts in the last few months.

Can you get the money? Sure. But what else suffers because of it?

If you are keeping a child from being murdered during lunch what possible difference does it make? I can't believe that you don't think a child's LIFE should take priority??

You really don't think they can plan bell time better if they need to? They can change what is in place now. I live in the poorest state in the country and yet every school has campus police officers. Please do not tell me it can't be made a priority. Make it one and the money will be found.
I agree. The money will be found, but what will be lost as a result?

I'm sure the arts, AP programs, afternoon school programs, professional development ...will be on the chopping block. The teachers in states without strong unions can say goodbye to raises.

Metal detectors in schools will not solve the problem. If someone wants to get a weapon in a school they will find a way. As in just pass it through a window to another student.

Money for school resource officers? Every year we have to fight to keep our SRO. The cost is split between the district and the county. Now our SRO covers 4 schools and isn't here on Fridays. She works 10-12 hour days so they make her take Friday off so they don't have to give overtime.

If you are keeping a child from being murdered during lunch what possible difference does it make? I can't believe that you don't think a child's LIFE should take priority??
The chance of a school shooting is still very, very small, the media makes it seem more likely. Why wouldn’t a shooter wait until after school to shoot if their were metal detectors? I’m more at risk at having a home invasion than my kids are likely to have a school shooter, and yet I haven’t invested thousands of dollars for a safe room in my house. Have you?

I know, by saying waiting for another time, I meant just another thread about gun issues not another tragedy which like Declansdad said will unfortunately probably not be too long. :sad1:
True. The whole thing makes my heart hurt.

We don't have parades at school so not sure about that one. Football games--there is a fence around the field isn't there? There is to every field I have been to. The entire crowd comes in one maybe two gates. Not hard.

If those kids are safe in that school building and while they are in school, how is that a "false sense of security"??
We have an iron fence around our field, with 12 inch gaps in between each metal one inch post. The bleachers back up to it.

From the point of view of a Johnny Foreigner, it seems that whenever a mass shooting happens in America, everyone is up in arms about it, then it's all forgotten about. The media is fickle. And it applies to my country too. There was a photo in the news a while back of a sobbing man cradling a dead child on the beach who had not survived an illegal crossing into the UK. Sparked uproar and a huge national outcry. All but forgotten now :sad2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter