Latest School Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing how this was a student in class (as far as I know), would a metal detector not have detected this? One source of access to school in the morning, all other doors locked and can be used to exit, but not enter the school, and will alarm if opened?

I fail to understand why we cannot make it a priority to make our childrens' schools SAFE. First and foremost, before anything else is changed or outlawed or whatever, we just need to make them safe. There are ways to do it. We keep the White House safe. We keep pro football stadiums safe. We keep concert venues safe. Why on earth can we not make our schools safe?

Metal detectors, armed campus police, fences, whatever. We need to do whatever its going to take to make them safe. From guns, from bombs, from whatever comes next in the way of threatening the lives of children.

Surely this is something that we as a society can agree needs to be done and after that, we can all go back to arguing about gun control.

Concert venues are safe? Las Vegas was a concert venue with security and it made zero difference. Turning our schools into prisons is not a valid response to this issue.

im a high school student and i feel so scared to go to school everyday.

i have two friends at parkland (one of which was in a room where 3 died, including their friend) and i have a friend who knows someone who goes to SFHS. every time a school shooting happens, it feels like they are becoming more close to home. my friends are still recovering from parkland and this country cant catch a break from these acts of violence

i have two friends at parkland (one of which was in a room where 3 died, including their friend) and i have a friend who knows someone who goes to SFHS. every time a school shooting happens, it feels like they are becoming more close to home. my friends are still recovering from parkland and this country cant catch a break from these acts of violence

I'm so sorry that you have to live with this fear. I can't even imagine being in high school right now.

I am so sorry :(. We shouldn't live in a country where kids to be afraid to go to school.

This is 30 miles south of us. Sad. The name of the shooter has been posted online. Described as a loner, was bullied, etc. Allegedly used a sawed off shotgun and pistol + planted bombs all over the place.

have you ever been thru a metal dectector stop point, like at Disney or a football game, it is totally unpracticle to think they can run thru 3000 students in 10 minutes. And what about movie theaters and malls. This is not a solution.

I am in the US. I am in the deep south. This state has had one school shooting. It was before Columbine or right after, not sure. No one was killed. The boy was captured. Its not like there are shoot outs in the streets in most places in this country. I am not afraid to go out at night. I don't fear being a victim of gun violence. I can truthfully say that I live in the US and where I live is mostly peaceful. I can even say we don't have ANY terrorist attacks in this area.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families as always.

I just looked up a map of the school shootings since 2013. Every state in the deep South has had multiple school shootings since 2013. It looked like the state with the least school shootings since 2013 was Louisiana, where I counted 23 school shootings in the last 5 years.

have you ever been thru a metal dectector stop point, like at Disney or a football game, it is totally unpracticle to think they can run thru 3000 students in 10 minutes. And what about movie theaters and malls. This is not a solution.
Disagree. You plan for this delay in entering by arriving earlier. Have more than one entrance at larger schools, manned by resource officers.
I'm telling you, those that are calling for banishment of guns are spitting in the wind just as much as they mock thoughts and prayer. Even without guns, the bombs could have caused mass death and carnage as well.

I just looked up a map of the school shootings since 2013. Every state in the deep South has had multiple school shootings since 2013. It looked like the state with the least school shootings since 2013 was Louisiana, where I counted 23 school shootings in the last 5 years.
Be careful about the statistics. A lot of sources that advocate for gun control report anything gun related on these campuses as school shootings, even if it is a drug buy gone bad on a Saturday.

Disagree. You plan for this delay in entering by arriving earlier. Have more than one entrance at larger schools, manned by resource officers.
I'm telling you, those that are calling for banishment of guns are spitting in the wind just as much as they mock thoughts and prayer. Even without guns, the bombs could have caused mass death and carnage as well.
Have you ever been to a school 5 minutes before the bell. So schools with no money now need to hire a couple dozen security. It takes3 to man each post. One bag check, one at the scanner and one wander. It would cost billions, so what happens outside the metal detectors in the parking lot.

sensible gun laws, maybe not posting how awesome it is when a girl takes her senior picture with an assault rifle. Would you say its awesome if she had her picture a half gallon of Jim Beam
Metal detectors are more likely than gun reform.

I teach high school and would LOVE metal detectors at my school - as would our admin and staff. It's really one of the only preventative things we can do.

Have you ever been to a school 5 minutes before the bell. So schools with no money now need to hire a couple dozen security. It takes3 to man each post. One bag check, one at the scanner and one wander. It would cost billions, so what happens outside the metal detectors in the parking lot.
What’s your solution? Quite saying what won’t work and get behind ideas that might.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter