Last minute long weekend: OKW or SSR, and why?

What would you do with expiring points?

• Total voters

kboo

DIS Veteran
So - hypothetically speaking...
Points expiring 7/31, would have enough for a long weekend at either OKW or SSR in either a 1br or 2br (depending on room category and dates). Which resort (and room category) would you choose, with 2 young kids, and why?

Or would you rent out the points instead?

Are ya'll planning on hitting the parks or just taking it easy by pools/Disney Springs? Also, not sure of refurb status at OKW or if any pools are closed there. Have you stayed at either resort yet?

Personally, I'd just book a room at Vero, but we're Disney'ed out for the summer lol!!!! Have fun :)

Food options and SSR’s Paddock (Standard) feature pool looks to have a better kids play area.

Are ya'll planning on hitting the parks or just taking it easy by pools/Disney Springs? Also, not sure of refurb status at OKW or if any pools are closed there. Have you stayed at either resort yet?

Personally, I'd just book a room at Vero, but we're Disney'ed out for the summer lol!!!! Have fun :)
We have P+APs, so depending on crowds etc we may hit some parks with whatever FP we can get and then try the water parks. Unsure yet; DH would have to get time off from work (but he’s considering it)

So - hypothetically speaking...
Points expiring 7/31, would have enough for a long weekend at either OKW or SSR in either a 1br or 2br (depending on room category and dates). Which resort (and room category) would you choose, with 2 young kids, and why?

Or would you rent out the points instead?
Definitely last minute trip! OKW is lovely with lots of room. Haven’t stayed at SSR yet, but it would also be good with be able to walk to DS.

You could rent them, but being last minute you aren’t going get the most for them and the hassle will definitely be outweighed by the enjoyment of just using them.

SSR - lots to do at the resort, very walkable, and good on site food options. To counter PP we have stayed at SSR 3 times in the last 7 months and our rooms and experiences have all been great

SSR. One reason would be there are elevators, so no chance of having to climb stairs with stuff. I enjoy the counter service food at Artist Palette. The pools at SSR appeal to me more that those at OKW.

My kids are 4 and 18 months, so if I were going to do a mostly resort trip, I’d pick SSR for the pools. If I were doing a mostly parks trip, I’d pick OKW bc it’s a little closer to the parks, and in my experience the buses are a little better at OKW - although I’ve only used the buses at SSR once, I’ve used the buses at OKW many times with only one or two long waits.

Have a great time either way!

There's nothing wrong with either choice, both resorts are beautifully landscaped but I prefer OKW's atmosphere and appearance. Food options aren't a big deal since we never eat exclusively at any resort we stay at anyway though I do find Olivia's at OKW to be a top notch restaurant. Disney Springs is a bus or boat ride away and OKW is somewhat centrally located to the Epcot area theme parks. Have a great vacation!

I prefer SSR, I like the walking path to DS and much prefer Turf Club to Olivias.

Eh - I think DH is leaning toward renting them out, despite the administrative hassle. It doesn't really fit with all our other travel, and we would both have to rearrange our work schedules...

Now just waiting for points to show up so I can post the points for rent/transfer thread.

Eh - I think DH is leaning toward renting them out, despite the administrative hassle. It doesn't really fit with all our other travel, and we would both have to rearrange our work schedules...

Now just waiting for points to show up so I can post the points for rent/transfer thread.

Not sure how availability looks from now until expiration (31?) but you may want to book a room just in case (and can rent out the confirmed room if needed). It would suck to have points to rent, but no rooms available!!!

Not sure how availability looks from now until expiration (31?) but you may want to book a room just in case (and can rent out the confirmed room if needed). It would suck to have points to rent, but no rooms available!!!

I can't even do that yet, because the points are not in my account yet... :(

But that is a good point.

AAAAHHHH! I'm cringing at the thought of possibly unused points, and they're not even mine! I'm sorry! Hope they get loaded quickly and used :)

Well, personally, I never leave a point on the table! So I would make a reservation at either resorts, have enjoyed both multiple times.

OKW-lush tropical landscape, larger villas, proximity to DS(great boat ride) Olivia’s (great conch fritters, fried chicken and key lime pie) Guirgling Suitcase (love a Turtle Krawl by the pool) Great if you golf

SSR-beautiful grounds, boat ride to DS or walk there, very close. The Turf Club, excellent prime rib and lamb dishes, Artist’s Palette (good QS, paninis, wraps & homemade chips) . Golf!

It’s refreshing after a day of beating the hot Disney park pavement to come home to OKW

Last edited:
AAAAHHHH! I'm cringing at the thought of possibly unused points, and they're not even mine! I'm sorry! Hope they get loaded quickly and used :)

I know!! When I bought, I knew we'd be cutting it close with closing, etc. So in my head I told myself to pretend that those points didn't exist, and set my offer accordingly. But, of course, now that we are so close (closed last week), I'd like to get some value out of them - if not a trip for myself, then a surprise lats minute trip for someone else.

I'd go for a 2 bd at okw. You get a lot more space for the kids to run around and the use of the living room after the kids are in bed.

Id probably pick SSR b/c they have great pools. But, I would also be tempted to book OKW and try for a renovated room. Both resorts have a boat to Disney Springs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter