KIng Kong closing

Bob O

<font color=navy>Voice of Reason<br><font color=re
On the Universal board Earl a employee of USF announced that King Kong is closing as of Sept 8, 2002 with a replacement to be announced spring of 2003. Its nice to see that some FLA parks are willing to invest in ther parks!!!
Does anybody think that this may push wdw into actually doing something to there parks other than adding carny rides??? Or will wdw try to increase attendance by reducing hours and closing attractions which is there curent strategy??

Sigh, I was hoping to see Kong one more time before they closed it. Looks like I will miss it by one week. The ride is no longer drawing crowds, so closing it is probably a good idea, but I will still miss it.

Luckily, I will be able to see banana breath on Labor Day weekend. It was a great attraction. High tech for it's day, one that most of the family could enjoy together, told a story, put you right in the middle of the movie. But, alas, the world wants coasters and it seems that's what they'll get.

Originally posted by Buzz2001
You mean like adding Mickey's Philharmagic to MK or Mission: Space to Epcot?

I might give you mission space (though its sounds like they have cut way back on that one, we'll find out when it opens), but Mickeys Philharmagic sounds like yet another 3d movie.

I think the sort of attractions Bob is thinking about are along the lines of Indy or Tower of Terror. It has been a very, very long time since MK has received a true E-ticket.

Plus Universal is adding Three attractions to Universal Studios not one here, one there, throw in two spinners.

King Kong is is one ofthe attractions that has kept us from giving US a second chance. We found it so lame and totally unbelievable...In the Jungle Cruise format for laughability, IMO. This has to be a positive move for US...

Yet another example of different strokes...
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

Captian, the first time I rode Kong I came away with the exact same opinion you did. For some reason, I changed my mind the second time I rode it (1 year later). It was always a bit cheesy, but that was part of its charm. The New York sets were great. As you say, different stokes.

Regardless, I agree it has to go. Its no longer very popular and the space could be used for something else. The ride was state of the art in its day, but Spidey, T2 and MIB blow it away now.

The timing to a new ride is rather short to make a big change.

My predicition is that they will keep the Roosevelt Tram Ride system and replace King Kong with the scene from Spiderman where he is holding the tram with one arm and Mary Jane with the other.

When I first saw that scene in the movie that's exactly what I thought would happen.

I liked King Kong so I don't mind but I hope they invest heavily in the special effects to make the ride worth taking.

re: the timing

Closure of Kong - Sep 8, 2002
Announcement of new ride - Spring 2003
Opening of new ride - Spring 2004

This according to Earl. So, there's time to do an entirely new attraction.

ps - I'm betting AV is right, it's going to be a coaster based on The Mummy

Universal is making improvements and adapting to changing needs. It's alittle tricky with WDW because people don't want to see many changes to the old standards (remember Imagination). The problem is there is nothing new, worth seeing, if you are a fequent visitor. Although I love the old standards I also think that doing something, like adding a new room to the Haunted Mansion, would be wonderful.

Recycling rides, I would think, is fairly cost effective and gives people something new to experience.

B. Gault from Universal had this quote in a recent article...

We think we’ll get a green light within a month for a new blockbuster attraction. It will be on the state-of-the-art level of our Spiderman ride. It’ll be a thrill ride based on new technology and a completely different type of experience than Spider-Man. It’ll be based on a movie you’ve seen before. There may be a sequel to that film franchise come out the year we open the ride

Jimmy and Shrek were already announced so that leads the still to be unnamed attraction to replace Kong. My bet is Mummy first. With outside chances going to Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. I saw one post that said look at what characters show up this year at Universal's Halloween Horror nights and you might have a clue as to what the new attraction will be based on.

Of the three mentioned candidates, the Mummy seems to be the odds on favorite. There is only one hitch. Kong is located in the New York section of the park. The Mummy doesn't seem to fit the theme there. But then again, niether does Twister, so this may not really be an important issue.

I always liked Kong and while sad to see it go will be happy to have a new attraction(know if only the ame thing would happen to Jungle cruise captain).
And i agree with wdwhound!!! But i would perfer they dont put a coaster in that space(even though i love coasters) but would love a ride based on spiderman type technology which wdw has nothing to compare too. As for the Mummy 2 in the second movie they went to London as part of the movie so im sure the creative team could make up a pre-show scenario where the need arises to go to NY on some type of mission and get us involved in it.
I doubt the coaster only because to build a coaster in FLA wouldnt take that long where you can build year around. At the local SF park in ILL they can build a world class coaster in half the time and have to deal with alot worse weather. But of course Universal has alot of movies themes to play off while the cupboard is bare at disney accept for maybe Armaggedon.

Is the Matrix a Univeral property?

A sequel(or two) is due out soon as is a sequel for X-Men.

Could it be based on either of these two films?

The first X-Men was partially set in New York, and although this would seem to fit better in IOA, the theme would still be under the Universal banner.

Redcon1

Matrix is WB....X-Men 2 is a posible too....I'll try and ask around when we go in Nov and see if anybody is droping any hints.

Rumor is a Mummy indoor coaster.
Captian, the first time I rode Kong I came away with the exact same opinion you did. For some reason, I changed my mind the second time I rode it (1 year later). It was always a bit cheesy
This cheesey yet you accept all the cheesey non-sensical stuff WDW does without question.

I'm a little bummed since we're planning our first Universal visit next year but if it's an X-Men attraction that would be super! Please do post any news.

Are there any interesting rumors about Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings popping up at any of the parks?

Originally posted by Dznefreek
This cheesey yet you accept all the cheesey non-sensical stuff WDW does without question.

I think that didn't come out the way you intended it to. I am not criticizing ( My posts almost never come out the way the are intended to), I am just not sure I follow your sentence.

If you are trying to imply that I accept everything Disney does without question, but I am tough on Universal, I suggest you go back and read some of my posts again. I am a card carrying member of car #3 and have spent a great deal of time taking Disney to task for their recent lack of quality, especialy in its dark rides.

There are lots of cheesy rides at Disney I love. Jungle Cruise, COP, Mr. Toad, The Tiki room, these have a high chedder factor, but I love them just the same. However, like Kong, they were all state of the art when they were built and they all tell a story. Disney's most recent rides are cheesy because they are just the cheepest thing they could through together and I by no means accept that.

I think most people here would agree that I accept very little Disney does these days without question. If anything, I may be a bit too rough on them at times.

Originally posted by Planogirl
I'm a little bummed since we're planning our first Universal visit next year but if it's an X-Men attraction that would be super! Please do post any news.

Are there any interesting rumors about Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings popping up at any of the park?

There were some rumors on Screamscape that Potter might be coming in the future, but nothing specific.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter