Kids returning to school before Labour Day!!

So I just looked at the York region Catholic school Boards Draft (pending ministry approval) and everyone is going back after Labour Day!!!:thumbsup2

It looks like they sacrificed 2 days of Christmas Vacation. So instead of having 10 days off at Christmas everyone will only have 8:woohoo: :woohoo:

The York region public school boards is a little different. With the teachers going back to work sept 2&3 and the students returning to class after Labour day. They will still have 10 days off at Christmas.

So I just looked at the York region Catholic school Boards Draft (pending ministry approval) and everyone is going back after Labour Day!!!:thumbsup2

It looks like they sacrificed 2 days of Christmas Vacation. So instead of having 10 days off at Christmas everyone will only have 8:woohoo: :woohoo:

The York region public school boards is a little different. With the teachers going back to work sept 2&3 and the students returning to class after Labour day. They will still have 10 days off at Christmas.

I like this better. Have 2 less days at X'mas and go back after labour day. That's just me.

I like this better. Have 2 less days at X'mas and go back after labour day. That's just me.

I like the other scenario. :goodvibes

I teach in the York Public Board and I am so relieved that we are keeping all 10 of our Christmas days. We go to Florida for the entire break every year and it would have been very painful to lose 2 days of that. I don't mind coming back a bit earlier in the fall (PA days, no students) since I'm normally in the school preparing at that point anyway.

I do know of several teachers who are in a bit of a bind right now as they had booked vacations for that week. It's a shame all of this came out so late in the year.

Too bad Tiger.
You teachers should head back when students do.

No big deal - most of us are in school anyway. We all talked about it in staff room once I posted the tentative schedule and no one is concerned at all. Like I said, since we all know that school can start anytime after Sept. 1st, none of us plan vacations for that time. Despite the fact that this has never happened before, there is always the possibility that it can happen, so none of my colleagues, myself included, would schedule vacations that late in the summer.

I feel badly for teachers who have vacations scheduled though, as that is definitely going to be a pickle.

Tiger

Looks like the Ontario government will not legislate school boards to have classes start after labour day for students. But the Education Minister is "encouraging" boards to have students return after Labour Day.

For full article click on headline from The Canadian Press hosted at google.
Ontario won't force school boards to start classes after Labour Day
15:05 March 10, 2009
TORONTO — Ontario school boards were "urged" Tuesday to start classes after Labour Day this fall, but the Liberal government said it won't force any boards to scrap plans to bring back students the week before the traditional end-of-summer holiday.
Some boards will wait until after Labour Day, which falls on Sept. 7 this year, to begin classes, but others want to start Sept. 1, in part to make up class time lost by the Liberal government's creation of a new Family Day holiday in February.

320_CP24_schooltransport_080828.jpg

I'm confused by your post. I already said I feel badly for parents as most parents don't know how how school year calendars work, and that the Ministry of ED does not do a good job of communicating to parents.

This has all been said before but I just wanted to get in my two cents worth.

As someone who has lived in Ontario for all 52 years of my life and have never seen school start before Labour Day, I think I speak for most people in saying - up until now it didn't really matter to us how the School Boards and the Ministry go about their business. It was a 100% safe bet that school starts after Labour Day.

The problem is that some groups seem to work completely in a vacuum with no concerns about how other people are impacted. The Julian calendar is pretty easy to predict. There is no excuse, absolutely none, for starting the planning process so late. This has always been a problem for my wife who likes to take off March break but has to wait until April or May to know when it is. Now they want to add the start of the school year into the mix.

It is completely unrealistic to think people are going to wait until May to make these decisions. Camps, cottage rentals, airline seat sales and WDW free Dining deals just don't hang around that long.

I sent an email to my School Trustee and provincial MP but have yet to get a response. Sorry, I forgot, they don't really care about my opinion. What was I thinking?

I've seen a tentative schedule for Dufferin Peel Catholic District School Board for the 2009-2010 school year. The document has "Pending Board Approval" watermark on both pages of the document.
  • Wednesday September 2 as the first day of classes for students.
  • Students in class Thursday Sept 3rd
  • Board Designated Holiday on Friday Sept 4.
  • Labour Day No Classes Monday Sept. 7.
  • Back to classes on Tuesday Sept 8.

If the kids head back early why doesn't the board just start classes on Thursday instead the bring the kids back on Wednesday and giving students and staff the day off on Friday?

2009-september-1-1.jpg

I am a Secondary teacher with the WRC Board.
The plan (as of right now) is for the teachers to return to school Sept 2,3. Those 2 days will be PD days (no kids). Friday the 4th is scheduled to be Board Holiday.
There will not be any instructional days before Labour Day in our Board!

I am a Secondary teacher with the WRC Board.
The plan (as of right now) is for the teachers to return to school Sept 2,3. Those 2 days will be PD days (no kids). Friday the 4th is scheduled to be Board Holiday.
There will not be any instructional days before Labour Day in our Board!

What a small world - I'm from around there too! Tiger

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter