Kids returning to school before Labour Day!!

iluveeyore

DIS Veteran
Anyone else having this problem? Our school board, and our friends' school board who are coming on our vacation this year, just found out the Ministry of Education is deciding whether or not the kids should return to school on Sept. 1 instead of Sept. 8 - something about they don't have the required number of days in the school year because Labour Day is later this year. This completely sucks because we have already booked our DVC vacation on points, both borrowed and transferred, and we can't change them because I have no way to get more points. We would have to pay extra for cash nights and we're both already at top of budget. And we can't change them until later in the year when it's cheaper for points because the whole point was to go when the kids wouldn't all miss two whole weeks of school.
I guess if they miss the first four days, that'll have to be the way. My DD starts high school, but she'll just have to deal with it!

Wow, That sucks, we're palnning on returning the 6th of Sep, DS is starting high school, he will not be happy if this happened, I'm pretty sure ours is the 8th, though.

Wow, That sucks, we're palnning on returning the 6th of Sep, DS is starting high school, he will not be happy if this happened, I'm pretty sure ours is the 8th, though.

Where do you live? This is for the Niagara and Grand Erie School Boards.

Ours return August 27th. By that time I am so happy to be back to routine I could care less lol!

yep this year we're starting august 27 too because of some cultural festival they want the kids to participate in. we're okay with it. this year my dd's school started late because they were moving to a different school and the portables weren't ready, so the extra days next year will mean an earlier summer or a longer christmas vacation.

The same thing is being considered in the Ottawa area, in past they have had PA days at the start of the school year, so good for your kids if you have a trip but not if you're a teacher like myself and hoping for free dining dates

yep this year we're starting august 27 too because of some cultural festival they want the kids to participate in. we're okay with it. this year my dd's school started late because they were moving to a different school and the portables weren't ready, so the extra days next year will mean an earlier summer or a longer christmas vacation.

It is worldskills. It is supposed to get kids interested in the trades field.:rolleyes1

http://www.worldskills2009.com/

I guess if they miss the first four days, that'll have to be the way. My DD starts high school, but she'll just have to deal with it!

My youngest DD missed her first week of high school. She was in a choir (with her oldest sister-going into Gr. 11 at the time) and the trip lasted until the second week of September. We let them know before the summer that the girls would be absent. Your DD will be fine. And if she has a chance to go in in August for a visit (I know that our school does orientation a couple of weeks before the beginning of school), that might be helpful to her.

When does the school publish the school calendar? You should wait until they do before booking your vacation.

On the other hand, if the school changes the calendar including adding make up days for bereavement, strikes, snow, etc. after you booked your vacation, feel free to notify the school (this is a show-and-tell, not a query) that your kids will be absent on any conflicting days.

Many U.S. schools begin the academic year before (U.S.) Labour Day.

I just heard this earlier in the week ~ it messes with my holidays a bit but makes perfect sense ~ the summer is far too long anyways ~ by Sept 1 they are driving themselves and me crazy :rolleyes1

We are in Kitchener and got notice last week as well from our school. Apparently the details will be finalized by March sometime but they are returning before Labor Day.

DS won't be -- we will be on an Alaskan cruise. Non refundable flights already booked, cruise booked and deposited.

Funny thing letter said keep this is mind when making summer vacation plans--are they really that naive to think many people wouldn't have done this already??

Usually the schools just do review work from the year before. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

I'd be just as happy if Ontario did away with "Family Day" instead. It gets them one more teachable day!

We are in Kitchener and got notice last week as well from our school. Apparently the details will be finalized by March sometime but they are returning before Labor Day.

DS won't be -- we will be on an Alaskan cruise. Non refundable flights already booked, cruise booked and deposited.

Funny thing letter said keep this is mind when making summer vacation plans--are they really that naive to think many people wouldn't have done this already??

Hey I'm from Kitchener as well!! We have booked HHI the week before Labour Day - we'll change our plans if it turns out the kids are going back earlier - going to wait until return to school dates are confirmed and hope something is available the week before. I just wish they would have notified us at the start of the school year - it's not a new law that requires the number of days of teaching. I hope they are counting for 2010/2011 as well - it is a late Labour day too!! I'm ticked!

We are in the Halton school board and received a notice about this as well.
My friend who is a teacher in the Halton Board told me that the teachers were all asked when they would prefer to return. Her impression is that majority of teachers chose the week before labour day.

Teacher here. We were not asked, but we have 2 PD days in August, and the students begin the traditional start-the Tuesday after Labour Day. It is a numbers thing, and the ministry website will help you figure it out. It has always been a numbers thing, so no worries on the 2010/2011 calendar. It will have the proper number, too. Personally, I work in my classroom (and at home) all summer, so the early 'start' isn't a problem for me. I'm looking forward to a long weekend in February. It's time to start report cards.

We're in Peel District and haven't received any notification about this yet. The board's website however says the calendar will not be finalized until MAY!

Are they kidding?? Do they really think no one plans their summer vacations before that? :confused3 We're booked to be at DisneyWorld August 23 to September 6 ... DD will be going into Grade 8 so she'll just miss the first couple of days if this happens, but we've also booked airfare for her best friend - who is starting Grade 9 in September.

If they have to make a change, I hope they put a couple of the PA Days at the front end, and maybe have the kids still in school right to the last day of June (they usually finish on the Wednesday or Thursday of that week)

Arlene

Our girls missed the first week this year as we were in the Bahamas. Alberta has been sending them back early for a few years now so that they can do things like the current 5 day weekend that the schools have.

We're in Peel District and haven't received any notification about this yet. The board's website however says the calendar will not be finalized until MAY!

Are they kidding?? Do they really think no one plans their summer vacations before that? :confused3 We're booked to be at DisneyWorld August 23 to September 6 ... DD will be going into Grade 8 so she'll just miss the first couple of days if this happens, but we've also booked airfare for her best friend - who is starting Grade 9 in September.

If they have to make a change, I hope they put a couple of the PA Days at the front end, and maybe have the kids still in school right to the last day of June (they usually finish on the Wednesday or Thursday of that week)

Arlene
I believe they are in school till the Thursday this year (instead of Wed) in the Peel Boardat least that is what I have heard

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter