Kids and pin collecting...questions...your opinions?

MichelleC

Mouseketeer
I'm debating about whether or not to get my kids started on pin collecting. My older two are 7 and 5 (almost 8 and 6). We will be heading to our first WDW trip in a few weeks. I did get them autograph books, and I know they'll be very into collecting signatures. I was thinking that the pins may make things a little too crazy this trip. I want them to be able to focus on what to see and do at Disney, not so much on what they can acquire, you know? (especially DS, he's into "acquisitions")

On the other hand the pin scene seems like a lot of fun and I think they'd enjoy it. I know I would! LOL!

Any advice? Thanks!

Michelle

We started DS when heas 5 and his DS was just 7 months old. Our older one enjoyed the idea of trading....so did DH. Now they have something to look forward to doing together next month when we get there.

We had heard about the pin trading scene at WDW before we went down last winter but did not expect our kids (then 9 and 6) to be into that. Before we went a cousin gave them each their first pin, then we got one upon check in, and I had given them GOH badges on the airplane. One our first full day there my 9 yr. old announced her first purchase with her own $ was a pin lanyard and another pin. The next day my 6 year old opted for the "my first pin collection" lanyard and we were off and running. The funny thing was the 9 yr. old was too attached to her pin's to trade but the 6 yr. old would trade!:p The good thing about having the GOH badges on their lanyards was that CMs would come up and address the kids by their first name and ask if they wanted to trade. We plan to go back in 2004 and they will be bringing their collections.

Ds 12 and DD 3 1/2 both have pin collections. DS's is much larger, he keeps his non traders in a pin book and his traders he wears. They are fun to collect and you don't need to trade to have fun with it.
I also figure pins are fairly inexpensive so when they do ask for one its not a big deal. Most pins we buy are $6.50, I rather buy these then candy or another stuffed animal.

I was totally on the fence about this for our 5 and a half year old DS. Then, a wonderful benefactor here on the boards sent me a huge 'goodie box' of stuff for DS to help with the surprise of the trip. In the box was a Toy Story Pin Lanyard with 4 pins (2 of each) and there were a another 6 pins in the box. So, we will be giving it a whirl!!! I think it will be fun, and he will have a GOH badge as well, so that will be good.

We're going for it! Awhile ago I got a couple of pins for each of them at 50% off at the Disney Store, to put in their surprise bags for the plane trip. Then, when I decided to get more for trading, of course the 50% off pins are gone!! LOL!!

So, I filled them in on the pin trading scene and let them pick out a couple from our local store (and I got them a couple more to add to their surprise bags !).

Who knows if they'll want to trade or just keep them, it'll be up to them. They'll have a spending allowance at WDW and they can get a lanyard or more pins, whatever.

Thanks all!

Michelle

Pin trading is a ton of fun, for kids and adults alike. Be careful, it is addictive and not cheap. I thought I would just "give it a try" back in July. Now I am trading over the internet and mail.

My 7 yr old loved pin trading this past June. She just trades with CM's and traded for only Minnie pins. It's actually a great distraction when checking out in line at a shop. I pay for purchases/food and DD checks out CM's lanyard for Minnies! 4yr old wasn't interested at all.

I have a 12 yr old, 10 & 4 They LOVED pin trading. One of their favorite things to do. They loved going up to cast members and trading. There were times, however, where we had to say NO PINS! Lot of fun.

Our family started pin trading a couple years ago. We've met lots of people & its enriched our Disney experience. A couple of pointers that I've learned...

First, make sure you have your traders BEFORE you get to the parks. Buy them at the Disney Store, Ebay or other pin sites. If you're lucky you can get good traders around $2.00 each. Don't get stuck with a million of one kind...get variety!

Second, make sure your kids have a vest, hat or lanyard BEFORE you go down that they can put their treasures on. Vests are good for the evening when your watching shows & not going on fast rides. Lanyards & hats are good for the daytime.

Third, check out the pin nights at WDW resorts. Contemporary has one on Friday, Poly on Saturday & Boardwalk on Sunday. I can still remember my 7 year old pointing & nodding to a woman from Japan swapping pins. Neither understood each others language but the end result was each traded for a pin they both were happy with. Have your children trade with other children there.

Finally, BEWARE OF THE SHARKS! Parents, if your child is young, monitor those trades between these people & your child. They prey on the young to get those "good" pins & try to give them pins with much less value. Believe me in the beginning we've gotten taken. Sorry DisPin people, but my children have gotten taken one too many times by you! If youre new to pin trading have your child stick with trading with Cast Members. Can't go wrong there!

Our first trip to WDW is coming up in Feb. I have purchased about 10 pins for my 3 kids, mostly $2 ones from the DS. I would like to know the ins and outs of pin trading if anyone has the patience to tell me.
1. How do you know which CM will trade pins?
2. How do you approach people about trading?
3. What is a good trade vs. a bad trade?
Any other help would be greatly appreciated. My son is totally pumped up for it, so I want to make sure it will be a positive MK experience.

Another thing you might try trading is the card collections. They have books at all the parks and resorts and work the same way as pins. They're a lot cheaper and my son started at 5. He has a book at home and looks forward to seeking out the trading books. I also bought a set before we left and used them as rewards for behavior, school and chores etc. He is now 8 and on a cruise this fall he decided to add pins to his collection. We're at WDW this Christmas so we'll see how we do. I bought a book from Amazon that lists pins and their values, limited editions etc.
Hopefully we'll be a little informed. He only dealt with castmembers on the ship.

It is great fun, but very addicting!

My kids have a ball with it! It really doesn't take that much time. You just look at the lanyard of the CM's as you pass by.

Dear Sandiegosusie,
CM's participating in the pin trading are easy to spot...they're the ones wearing a black lanyard with 12 pins on them.
If any cast member is wearing a lanyard they will and have to trade one Disney pin for one Disney pin.
You can probably start right in your hotel if you're staying at a Disney resort. Check in CM's and gift shop CM's usually have them on.
As far as what's a good trade...if you have traders as you've indicated you've picked up at the Disney Store for $2, then any trade would be a good one if your children like the pin they're trading for more.
If, when you're down there, you buy that $10 pin off the rack for your child, make sure your child doesn't trade that one away!
And finally, trust me, 10 pins won't go far with 3 children! To save yourself $$$ in the parks do yourself a favor & pick up more before you go! Three kids, 36 pins, would probably be the magic number for the first time. You can give each one only 3 or 4 to start and hold back on the extras...but believe me it would only take a day for those to run out!
Each time we go down for a week, I usually bring 50+ pins for my two sons to trade...and guess what...by the 4th day we're already out!
There are literally thousands of different ones out there & it's tough for your little ones to "choose to keep" their favorites!
Have fun with it!

Dear Jaybecky,
Thank you so much for the info. I counted earlier today when I was wrapping christmas gifts and it looks like I have 55 pins. I didn't realize that I purchased so many, but I am now glad that I did. We will be sure to look for the lanyards on the CM's. I really appreciate all of your information. We are even more excited to start trading now!

You may want to make sure you bring down something to wear your pins on also...
My kids like lanyards for the day...vests for the night! Lots of people wear them on baseball caps.
You can buy lanyards when your down there...or you can buy them at the Disney Store online with cool medallions on the bottom. I actually think the Disney Store Catalog (not the stores) has better quality ones than at the park...cheaper too!
One more tip for your kids...look for what my kids call "suit and tie guys" They are usually the managers, people in higher places, etc & they usually have cooler pins than the ride cast members.
Happy hunting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter