Kait and Scott's Wishes Wedding YCG/YC Marina 4/28/13

Hi! Just joining in. The confusion in the early stages of planning is so frustrating. I hope most of it's figured out! I'm kind of glad that you're looking at the YC marina. I actually fell in love with the GF marina at night because photos I've seen have been so pretty! The YC marina is similar so I think it will be such a beautiful venue, especially at night!

I don't fully understand the issue with your date and the birthday. Personally, I would never be offended if someone in my family had their wedding on my birthday. While birthdays are important it's not like anyone can "own" a date and, honestly, it will never effect her again after the year of the wedding. Plus, what's so bad about having a reason to be in WDW on your birthday?! Don't mind my rant, it just seems a little selfish to me.

Can't wait to see more of your plans! :goodvibes

Oh man, it's been 2 months since I've been on here :confused: What is wrong with me?! This will not be happening again because we are finally penciled in for 4/28/13 at the Yacht Club Gazebo and Yacht Club Marina!!!!! YIPEE!!!! We were back and forth for a while and were planning on pushing the wedding back until June, but decided to just go with what we had originally wanted! I am so excited! We are inviting 90 people but only expecting about 70-80. We're in the process of completing our room block. This is what we were thinking for the room block resort choices:

Deluxe: The Beach Club/Yacht Club
Moderate: Port Orleans Riverside (they can sleep 5 here, and this is where we usually stay when we aren't at the Beach Club!)
Value: The Pop Century

I think that the people that are coming won't really stay at the Pop, but I want to give them the option....most everyone will have a car so I don't have to worry about bus transportation, thank goodness! This whole room block thing is super stressful..wahh!

Our consultant Kristi told us that they haven't really done wedding receptions at the Yacht Club Marina, but that the last one they did was very nice. She also told us that the mother of the bride called to complain after the wedding because it was too hot and too public. HELLO?! You're outside in Florida, of course it's going to be hot! I don't mind it being public though, because there's a walkway around the event space. People can look all they want, as long as they're not walking through the reception I'm cool.:cool1: When we asked about the rain backup locations, Kristi told us that it was the Yacht Club ballroom...which I have yet to see. I know I'm taking a chance by having it outside of having to go in there, and I really hope it doesn't rain so we don't have to! I've seen beautiful weddings in ballrooms at Disney, but I am so set on having mine outside. I'm going to Disney in June for an extended weekend trip and we're going to meet with Kristi to take a look at the backup location then.

Onto more dramatic things.....when we thought we were pushing the wedding date out until June, Scott's sister texted him something along the lines of "No offense, but I am so glad the wedding won't be on my birthday now haha, oh and by the way if you're having the wedding in June don't have it on my boyfriend's brother's wedding day because we really want to go to Disney" ?!?!?!? I was livid!!! Not sure if she knows that the wedding is definitely on her birthday now, and I just love how she is telling him when we should have our wedding. Only if it's convenient for her! If me being irritated by this is selfish, oh well! But I'm hoping she won't be miserable for Scott's sake...and his parents.

Anyway, now that everything is updated....here are some more pictures I also have a Pinterest account with a wedding board and a Disney one too...if you want to follow me here's a link!

http://pinterest.com/paigeturner89/pins/

Here's some more inspiration...now that it's less than a year away, I feel like I can actually start looking at this stuff!

dresses-1.jpg

il_570xN316105621.jpg

Love this bouquet....my cousin offered to make one for me and I totally said YES PLEASE!:banana:
221098662926131123_LzywIfiO_f-1.jpg

PS--I'm going to Disney on Friday! It's only for the weekend...but I am dying to go! I'll take photos and post if anyone is interested :)

Congratulations on having a date! We will be getting married 2 days before you so I understand the frustration with the room block. :confused3 I hear it's one of the hardest things, so I'm looking forward to figuring that out!
I have been inside the Yacht Club Ballrooms and they are like most of the Disney Ballrooms. Big and spacious. I went to a convention party there and it was fantastic! So if it does rain, the backup plan is very nice.
Good luck on your planning! It's looking great so far!

Congrats on getting the locations you originally wanted.

I like the 2nd blue dress best.

Look forward to seeing more of your plans.

Congratulations on having a date! We will be getting married 2 days before you so I understand the frustration with the room block. :confused3 I hear it's one of the hardest things, so I'm looking forward to figuring that out!
I have been inside the Yacht Club Ballrooms and they are like most of the Disney Ballrooms. Big and spacious. I went to a convention party there and it was fantastic! So if it does rain, the backup plan is very nice.
Good luck on your planning! It's looking great so far!

Thank you! Where are you getting married?! It's so exciting to find someone having their wedding the same weekend :) I'm excited to see the ballrooms there, and I'm glad to hear they aren't terrible! This room block is really killing me..it's the one thing I want to be done right now!

Congrats on getting the locations you originally wanted.

I like the 2nd blue dress best.

Look forward to seeing more of your plans.

Thank you thank you! I love the second one too...my sister (who is a BM) already chose that one so I'm guessing we'll go with something similar to that! Thanks for reading :thumbsup2

Hi there!!!
I was pretty excited when I just signed on and saw your reception is at the marina!! We were walking back to the BC from somewhere, oh we had drinks with our friends staying at the S/D- anyway, there was an event set up at the marina!! I totally took like 10 pictures of it because I remembered someone here had mentioned it! It looked awesome! They block off the walkway completely and set tables right up on the planks. Are you in our FB group? I can post them there much easier than here- let me know! :) The sister- bahahaha. oh well!! Glad you're doing what you want!! Excited for you having a date!!

We were over in the Boardwalk Ballroom and loved it- we walked in and were completely wow-ed (for our wedding, not for our PS, it didnt look like anything empty at our PS). All of our guests keep saying how beautiful it was- I'm pretty sure the YC ballrooms are the same decor, I believe they are blue instead of pink and the chairs are blue instead of red. But I doubt in April you'll need the back-up - no worries!! YC ballrooms was our back-up for our ceremony out on the beach too and we didn't need it!

We blocked Pop too and only had 2 people staying there, but no one could complain since we did have a cheaper option. It worked well! :)
Excited for more of your plans!

Leave it to me. I've disappeared, AGAIN! Seriously, what is wrong with me?! Work and stress have once again gotten the best of me -- I've had some major issues with my dad and his side of the family over the wedding, and quite frankly, for the past few months, the wedding has been my least favorite thing to think about. I'm not letting their ridiculousness stop me anymore! I want to be excited about my wedding again, so I AM! :woohoo:

Since my last post, we've made lots of progress. Here's some updates:
--We were assigned a planner, Pamela Mattick. I've spent a lot of time talking with her assistant, Jessica, and they seem fabulous so far!
--Our planning session is on Monday October 29th, and we're making a mini vacation out of it! YIPEE!
--We have put our deposit down with our photographers and have them for an engagement session on October 25th while we're in Disney for our planning session....WE HAVE THE ROOTS! I am so BEYOND excited and have dreamt of having them for our photographers since I joined DisBoards! So happy about this!
--The Save the Dates are sent! I love love love them! I'm cringing because we're sending them to 130 people, and can only have 120 at the ceremony site. I know a lot the invited guests won't come to the Disney wedding and will just come to the at-home reception, but this still stresses me out. Deep breaths!
Here's a photo of the STD's:

Front:
IMG_1246_zpsa0276926.jpg

Back:
IMG_1247_zpsa1a1aab2.jpg

We used mustache stamps from zazzle.com and I'm obsessed with them:
IMG_1252_zpsdd2143f4.jpg

--I got my dress! I had been dreading this for a really long time – spending hours at the gym and eating healthy paid off a little bit (I lost about 5 pounds), and I’m still going to keep at it! We went to David’s Bridal and I totally did not expect to walk out with a dress, but I DID! I knew exactly which one I wanted, and had pretty much made my decision, but wanted to try on one of the Vera Wang ones just for fun. It completely threw me off because everyone LOVED it.

Here’s dress #1 (the one that I almost got, and still would if it wasn’t so uncomfortable)

IMG_1354_zps6a9e01ff.jpg

Here’s the Vera Wang that I got! I’m having it altered to a sweetheart neckline, and I love it! (It's pinned to make it a sweetheart in the first photo)

IMG_1363_zpsf03b0ec2.png

IMG_1360_zps9b16d0a9.jpg

I’m still a little unsure about it’s heaviness – but it is April, so it shouldn’t be that hot or humid in FL. My mother and aunt liked this one more too, and the picture really doesn't do it justice! The other one was just so stinkin’ tight. I know that they could have altered it, but even if they let out the hips a bit it I think that it still would have been uncomfortable.

So I spent about 1,200 on my dress (sash and garment bag included) and I’m cringing, but I think that it was worth it. ☺ I’m now working on filling out my planning session packet, and am having a really difficult time. Choosing every little thing is super stressful, but fun! Next, we’re going to go shopping for bridesmaid dresses. I want them to wear different styles in neutral colors so that it is vintage-y, but we'll see!

Hiya! :wave2: Just stumbled upon your PJ and had to join in! I'm a fellow WG bride and you don't often see them so I'm super excited to hear all about your big day! Even though I got married in 2011 I still love coming on here to read about everyone elses big days! I love your dress! Its gorgeous and looks amazing on you!!

So glad to see you are back! I love that dress and you look fabulous in it! And your save the dates are so cute! Can't wait to hear about your planning session and engagement shoot. The Roots! I'm so jealous! ;)

I love your Save the Date's!! They're so cute! Have you gotten any idea from people for your #s by the save the date's or not yet?? What did you end up with doing for your room block? Love that dress!! It looks amazing on you!! I went to David's first to break myself in and tried on your dress but in PINK- it looked too crazy and just was a no-go. But I've seen pictures of it since and love it every time. I actually love the first one too but I really love the poofy bottom of the Vera. And for a Vera, that is an amazing price! :)

Boo that your family has been giving you trouble but glad you're back in wedding mode!! Are you in our FB group?? I don't think so unless you're super quiet or I'm slow. Come find us so we can bug you to update more often! :goodvibes

Hiya! :wave2: Just stumbled upon your PJ and had to join in! I'm a fellow WG bride and you don't often see them so I'm super excited to hear all about your big day! Even though I got married in 2011 I still love coming on here to read about everyone elses big days! I love your dress! Its gorgeous and looks amazing on you!!

Yay! Another WG bride! I'm am so beyond thrilled to have our ceremony there. It's just so pretty! :cool1:

The dress looks great on you :)

Thank you!!!! I'm obsessed with it :)

love the dress! The Roots are my dream photographers too, they are amazing! & i love the save the dates :)

Thanks! I'm SO excited to work with them. I never thought that I would actually be able to work with them and am so glad that it turned out this way! Our engagement photos are coming up in October and I'm psyched!

So glad to see you are back! I love that dress and you look fabulous in it! And your save the dates are so cute! Can't wait to hear about your planning session and engagement shoot. The Roots! I'm so jealous! ;)

I was gone for so long! I'm so glad you love the dress and save the dates! It was honestly more difficult to pick the save the dates out than the dress...I was at the store for 2 hours and was trying to pick out the save the dates for weeks. Only me!

I love your Save the Date's!! They're so cute! Have you gotten any idea from people for your #s by the save the date's or not yet?? What did you end up with doing for your room block? Love that dress!! It looks amazing on you!! I went to David's first to break myself in and tried on your dress but in PINK- it looked too crazy and just was a no-go. But I've seen pictures of it since and love it every time. I actually love the first one too but I really love the poofy bottom of the Vera. And for a Vera, that is an amazing price! :)

Boo that your family has been giving you trouble but glad you're back in wedding mode!! Are you in our FB group?? I don't think so unless you're super quiet or I'm slow. Come find us so we can bug you to update more often! :goodvibes

Thanks!!! We ended up sending save the dates out to 132 people. So far, I know that at least 8 are definitely not coming. The guest list ended up being way bigger than I wanted it to be, but it was one of those "well, if you invite this one" kind of things. I'm almost positive that at least 30 people won't come, but who knows! I'm taking it one day at a time or I'll go crazy! :goodvibes The dress is SO not what I expected to get. I kind of wanted something form fitting like yours was, but I was obsessed with lace! Unfortunately we're spending a ton of money on The Roots so my wedding dress budget was significantly cut, so getting lace that doesn't look cheap was a little difficult. I am SO happy with my dress though! I'm actually really glad that I didn't get the one that I had originally wanted! I honestly cannot remember the exact details of the room block, but we chose The Beach Club, Port Orleans Riverside and the Pop Century for our resorts. I think that I only blocked 32 nights? I have to look at it all again...but I think we'll be well over the minimum. Most of the guests will be using AP or CM discounts or DVC points, so I'm not too concerned about running out of the room block discounted rooms. I AM in the FB group, I am just incredibly quiet! It took all I had to start posting on here again! Now that I feel like I can actually plan more, I'm not going to be so quiet :banana: PLEASE bug me for updates!

So, here we go...a random rant.

The reason why I haven't been posting very often is because of my father, stepmother and grandparents. While I love them very much and would be devastated if they didn't come to my wedding, they have made planning mine and Scott's wedding semi-miserable since the moment they found out we were engaged -- my father would not even call me to congratulate me because Scott and I were in Disney at the time by ourselves, and he didn't appreciate it because we're not married. While I understand and respect his opinion, it still hurt to have my own father be so bitter that he couldn't even call me to share our excitement.

Since then, there have been so many problems. My parents divorced when I was very young, and remarried. I have a stepmother and stepfather, whom I love and respect enough to be my own parents. I had made the decision that I wanted to treat them both as if they were my flesh and blood parents during the ceremony -- they raised me just as much as my own mother and father did! That included my father and stepfather walking me down the aisle. I had never thought of this moment in my life being any different than this until my father and I talked about it. When he found out that this was what I wanted to do, he threw an absolute fit. My grandparents and stepmother did too -- saying what an awful thing I was trying to do by disrespecting my father so horribly. Really? After a while, my dad told me that he refused to walk me down the aisle if my stepdad was going to walk with us, so what choice did that leave me? Now, I feel like this entire special moment and rite of passage with someone that I love so much has been ruined. Of course, this has been the topic of conversation even though the "issue" is now resolved by my giving in, but he and my other family still can't let it go. They are constantly telling me how nontraditional I am, and how I have no respect for my elders. Scott, my mother's family and future in laws have been incredibly supportive throughout all of this, and are the only people that have kept me sane. Love them!

My planning session is on October 29th, and I invited my father so that he would feel involved. I know he wouldn't be interested in it, but I thought I should offer anyway. He was all gung-ho about going until he found out my stepdad and little brother (mother and stepdad's son) were going. He now doesn't want to interrupt our family vacation (his words), but wishes he could go. Honestly, I'm a little relieved that he won't be coming, but he may change his mind and actually was angry that they were going. I'm leaving it up to him.

On top of that, they don't like my dress. My grandmother doesn't like the sash, and thinks that the top is "too revealing," as does my father. They said that I shouldn't be spilling out of my wedding dress. Maybe the problem is that it's strapless? Who knows. I shouldn't care, but I do. I wish they would have just lied to me! My stepmother hasn't seen it. I asked her to go shopping with me and she refused because she says that it's something I should only share with my mother. I told her my aunt was coming, and that it wasn't some special one-on-one mother/daughter thing, but she still didn't want to come. I think it was because she was trying to play up the whole "only do wedding things with your REAL parents" thing for my father and his anger about the whole walking down the aisle mess. Oh well!

That's my rant. Of course there's lots of other random details and ridiculous conversations that have transpired over the past few months, but that's the bulk of what the arguments have been about. I've tried to be understanding and work with them, but it just doesn't work. I'm not letting them get me down anymore, but it can get pretty exhausting, and sometimes, I just need to complain! It just really stinks to love your family so much but think that they are crazy!

P.S.
I PROMISE that the next post will not be like this...I'm moving forward, and letting them take control of what should be the one of the happiest times of mine and Scott's life. Rant over! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

aww so sorry you are going through this :( I'm a stinker but if my parents were giving me crap about being traditional, I'd tell them they ruined being traditional by separating and re-marrying. haha In essence, they added the extra people to your mix and now theyre telling you to basically exclude them? :/ My best advice would be to try and stick to what you want to do for your day and hope things will fall into place as you get closer. The way it works with my family anyway, mine would try to bully me into doing what they wanted me to do and be happy if i gave in, but on the things I didn't they were still happy and supportive when the day came. I really hope this comes true for you! All of your plans are amazing and that dress is gorgeous, weddings seem to really open your eyes to a lot you didn't have to see before. If you're happy with your decisions, keep them. If you're not, change them. :)
Family dynamics can be so tricky, and seem to cause the most stress. ugh! :confused3 Hang in there!! :goodvibes

Sorry to hear you've been having such a hard time. We too found out the hard way that weddings can bring up issues with family in areas we would never have predicted. The advice I'm taking is to treat the whole thing with a steel hand in a velvet glove! Respect people's opinions and even compromise where it's really reasonable to do so...but remember, it's your wedding. You can't please everyone all the time, it's impossible.

Well, that's the unsolicited advice out of the way! For what it's worth, I love your dress! That's 3 I've seen on the boards tonight - DIS brides clearly have excellent taste, I've only seen a few I like so far on all the websites/in blogs I've looked at.

Looking forward to seeing your plans unfold. :goodvibes

Sorry to hear about all your family dramas. The parents need to realise they are acting like kids themselves :)

Good luck.

aww so sorry you are going through this :( I'm a stinker but if my parents were giving me crap about being traditional, I'd tell them they ruined being traditional by separating and re-marrying. haha In essence, they added the extra people to your mix and now theyre telling you to basically exclude them? :/ My best advice would be to try and stick to what you want to do for your day and hope things will fall into place as you get closer. The way it works with my family anyway, mine would try to bully me into doing what they wanted me to do and be happy if i gave in, but on the things I didn't they were still happy and supportive when the day came. I really hope this comes true for you! All of your plans are amazing and that dress is gorgeous, weddings seem to really open your eyes to a lot you didn't have to see before. If you're happy with your decisions, keep them. If you're not, change them. :)
Family dynamics can be so tricky, and seem to cause the most stress. ugh! :confused3 Hang in there!! :goodvibes

You're so right...especially about the whole non traditional separating part, haha! It's nice to hear that I'm not crazy! I'm not going to let it bother me anymore, it personally, and I'm not going to let them make me feel bad -- they can be angry if they really want to be...not letting it get me down. Thanks for the advice! :)

Sorry to hear you've been having such a hard time. We too found out the hard way that weddings can bring up issues with family in areas we would never have predicted. The advice I'm taking is to treat the whole thing with a steel hand in a velvet glove! Respect people's opinions and even compromise where it's really reasonable to do so...but remember, it's your wedding. You can't please everyone all the time, it's impossible.

Well, that's the unsolicited advice out of the way! For what it's worth, I love your dress! That's 3 I've seen on the boards tonight - DIS brides clearly have excellent taste, I've only seen a few I like so far on all the websites/in blogs I've looked at.

Looking forward to seeing your plans unfold. :goodvibes

Very wise advice! I'm all for compromising, I just hope they can be okay with it too. I'm so glad you like my dress! I'm in love with it! :):)

Sorry to hear about all your family dramas. The parents need to realise they are acting like kids themselves :)

Good luck.

Thanks...they really are! I'm so glad that my mother and stepfather are supportive, if I didn't have them, I don't know what I'd do!

Hi Kait! I just listened to your interview on the Disney Wedding Podcast and was curious if you could give me a rough estimate of your wedding (only if you are comfortable with that, of course). I would be inviting about the same amount of people to my wedding if I decide to do a Wishes event (which im crossing my fingers for) and have no idea if this is affordable. Any help would help! Thanks! Your wedding was BEAUTIFUL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter