KA WA‘A, a luau at Aulani - ??

Any more updates on the VIP vs General admission? We're traveling in February so have a while to decide, but I'm curious if the VIP is worth the additional cost.

Any more updates on the VIP vs General admission? We're traveling in February so have a while to decide, but I'm curious if the VIP is worth the additional cost.

If you drink alcohol alot then it could be worth it. VIP gets unlimited alchohol as well as soda (and maybe tea coffee). general only gets 1 complimentary drink (all the same alcholic or non) and water.

I need more reviews!!! We go in February and want to do a Luau with our 3 kids. However, I haven't seen enough reviews to determine if we should do Disney or Paradise Cove. The picture from the hotel room solidifies that if we do Disney, i will be happy with the general admission. I can't believe how small it is. (Im happy about that)

We went to Aulani's Ka Wa'a luau last night and thought it was wonderful -- totally different from the Starlit Hui and very different (and better) than the typical luau. It basically tells the story of story of life in the Ko Olina/Ewa area from the first settlements to the eventual resort development, and no one tells a story better than Disney. The cast was great, the pre show activities were fun, and the food was excellent. We had VIP tickets and thought the extra cost was well worth it for us. There seemed to be many more tables going much further back than those shown in the photo posted above, possibly because Wednesday's luau had been cancelled due to high winds, but with the VIP seating we were very close to the main stage. VIPs also get in earlier and have a few minutes of the pre show activities all to themselves, and VIPs get a much better lei. VIP also get unlimited alcoholic beverages (not important to us). However, the added cost for VIP tickets is substantial, on top of a high regular cost, and certainly might not be worth it for everyone, especially people with a large party.

Thank you for that info. It definitely helps the decision making process. We thought about the VIP tickets, but have a party of 7, 3 of which are children ranging from 7 years old to 2 years old.

It kills me to spend that kind of money for kids who won't remember or appreciate it.

But I do like being up close.

Experience an exhilarating and enchanting journey through Hawaiian history—and discover its deep cultural roots in canoe (waʻa) exploration, which brought the first ancient explorers to the shores of Ko Olina.

• YOUR LŪ‘AU ADVENTURE
    Beginning November 2016, join us for an unforgettable evening of family entertainment as only Disney can offer.

Make your way to the Hālāwai Lawn, where the festivities begin at 5:00 PM with seating and pre-show activities. Then get ready for a full evening of exhilarating song, dance and storytelling as you enjoy a lavish Hawaiian feast.

Highlights include:
    • Pre-show activities, which may include traditional arts such as kapa printing, flower arranging and temporary kakau tattoos or pa‘i ai taro pounding.
    • Lū‘au introduction and oli (chant) welcome.
    • Buffet dining, including a carving station with suckling pig and prime rib, fresh local seafood, authentic island fare and enticing Asian specialties plus family-friendly offerings, kids' selections and a decadent dessert bar.
    • Lū‘au performance—an enchanting, often breathtaking production that brings the legends and lore of ancient Hawai'i to life.

Activities, performances and menu items are subject to change.
    Show Less

• RESERVATION INFORMATION AND PRICING
    KA WA‘A Lū‘au is currently available only to Guests of Aulani Resort. For advance reservations,
    call (808) 674-6850 between 12:00 PM and 8:00 PM HST.

When you reserve, you will need to provide your room reservation number and indicate your choice of seating package:
    • VIP Seating– $159 Adults/$109 Keiki (ages 3 through 9). There is no charge for keiki under 3.
    • General Admission – $119 Adults/$79 Keiki (ages 3 through 9). There is no charge for keiki under 3.

Prices include gratuities. Tax additional.

VIP Guests receive early check-in, priority up-front seating, complimentary alcoholic beverages and an enhanced welcome lei.

Please note: Advance phone reservations do not guarantee you seating. To complete payment and booking, you must visit the KA WA‘A Lūʻau Desk—open from 12:00 Noon to 8:00 PM daily—in the main lobby upon arrival at Aulani.
Can anyone tell me the cost of the drinks at the Luau? I am trying to determine if it is financially sound to go VIP or General Admission and pay for drinks.
Thanks

I'm upset. They took more than 3 days to call me back and they left a number which I called and got put on hold for 10 minutes only to have to leave a message again. Needless to say, after a full week I finally got in touch with them only to be told VIP was sold out and only general admission is now available for our upcoming stay January 4th. Can anyone comment on general seating for the Luau. I liked the unlimited drinks, but could we order more than the one that is included with general admission. AND I'm hoping we have good seating?

I too had the same experience. After leaving 3 different voicemails I finally called the front desk phone number and asked for a manager where I voiced my dissatisfaction with their lack of response. I got a call back 15 minutes latter and was then able to book the event. I was told that general seating is just first come first serve and that people start lining up around 4:30PM for the 5:30 start time. She said that event holds about 350 people so like everything else Aulani, get their early! I don't have any information about the drinks. Sorry.

Can anyone comment on general seating for the Luau. I liked the unlimited drinks, but could we order more than the one that is included with general admission. AND I'm hoping we have good seating?

I'm here now and this is the set up for the luau tonight. Everything looks pretty close. The stage is the center square. IMG_2816.JPG

We were here tonight and did VIP. My best recommendation would be to get there early... Whether vip or not. We got in line about 4:45 and entry was around 5:00 for VIP. I think closest seats are given to those first in line. We were seated right at stage.

The line for tattoos gets pretty long so do that activity first. By 5:30 my daughter had done all the activities but there was still a line of people coming in. In other words you either wait at the activities or you wait at the table... We ended up waiting at the table for about 25 minutes before dinner started.

There was never a line for drinks which was unexpected. They had coffee and tea available too which was nice.

We got pretty chilly just sitting there so we were happy to have light jackets to put on after the sun went down.

It was fun. Vip was great, but I don't think it makes or breaks the experience.

Reactions: LCC
I'm upset. They took more than 3 days to call me back and they left a number which I called and got put on hold for 10 minutes only to have to leave a message again. Needless to say, after a full week I finally got in touch with them only to be told VIP was sold out and only general admission is now available for our upcoming stay January 4th. Can anyone comment on general seating for the Luau. I liked the unlimited drinks, but could we order more than the one that is included with general admission. AND I'm hoping we have good seating?

Did they take into account your time differences when they called you back? I haven't left a number because, being from Australia, I don't really want a phone call in the middle of the night, but I can't ever get through.

No they didn't unfortunately. So be prepared. I had heard they were working out the kinks so I was prepared but it was a bit frustrating. I would have loved to have just left an email but the actual phone calls left me on hold for quite a while at least half a dozen times and I'm afraid to see my phone bill :( BUT It's Hawaii and our first Luau and I won't be at work AHHHHHHHHH! I'm so happy. Now I'm wondering if this is truly a Luau? What activities are we in for? Our dd is 18 and I'm hoping for an authentic Luau experience. Does anyone know? My other question would be what if we didn't wait in line for hours? Someone had said 'There's not a bad seat in the house'? I had thought it was assigned seating so unfortunately we may have to wait for our friends who are joining us if we want to sit together? Or do we get in and 'hold' the seats for our friends? This doesn't feel organized but any advance info is helpful. Thanks :) :lovestruc

We watched from our balcony last night (and watched the lawn movie from here as well earlier in the week) and we did see 2-3 empty tables (long tables) towards the back. So it looks like they seat people as you come in to fill in all the spots (i.e not preassigned seating). The activities were optional and looked mostly kid focused.

I would say this is an authentic Disney luau. If you've been to any of the Disney resorts and have seen their shows, I think you'll find that this one is high quality, engaging, well produced, but, well, Disney. Which I like. I've seen several reviews on other threads about other luaus people liked.

A picture below last night to show about "not a bad seat in the house." It's dark, but you can see they also have dancers in the middle of the show, as well as on the stage. Refer to my pic a few posts back to get your bearings on this pic. Stage at the top, tables on the left and right, dancers in the center.

IMG_2962.JPG

For those that have gone, what's the dress like? Some of the kids look more dressed up than I'd expect at a Disney event...
8 days!

Thanks

We watched from our balcony last night (and watched the lawn movie from here as well earlier in the week) and we did see 2-3 empty tables (long tables) towards the back. So it looks like they seat people as you come in to fill in all the spots (i.e not preassigned seating). The activities were optional and looked mostly kid focused.

I would say this is an authentic Disney luau. If you've been to any of the Disney resorts and have seen their shows, I think you'll find that this one is high quality, engaging, well produced, but, well, Disney. Which I like. I've seen several reviews on other threads about other luaus people liked.

A picture below last night to show about "not a bad seat in the house." It's dark, but you can see they also have dancers in the middle of the show, as well as on the stage. Refer to my pic a few posts back to get your bearings on this pic. Stage at the top, tables on the left and right, dancers in the center.

View attachment 211329
Can I ask what room you were in to have a view of the luau and the movie? We are doing 1 bedroom island garden view, and our kids go to bed early (especially with time change), so I would love to be able to experience this from our balcony! Thanks!

I was in room 973. I requested a high room ending in 73 or 79 so I could get an island view room with a little bit of ocean view.

For those that have gone, what's the dress like? Some of the kids look more dressed up than I'd expect at a Disney event...
8 days!

Thanks

If people were dressed up it wasn't likely because there were lots of photo opportunities.

I was in room 973. I requested a high room ending in 73 or 79 so I could get an island view room with a little bit of ocean view.
What type of room was that one? We are doing a 1 bedroom. Wondering if I should request that number

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter