Just got home and the final talley is....

K

kandj2

Hey fellow cheapies! I just got home from a lovely Disney vacation! I promised the final talley on my "Disney on a budget 2002" trip and here it is - things did not work out exactly as I wanted them too but I still did pretty well - this is for 6 people. My mom, DH, 3 DS's (12, 4, 3) and myself:

Drive down there $120 gas
Food for trip: $15
2 rooms at the worst Howard Johnsons in history (in Hardeeville, SC) $69
TOTAL FOR DRIVE DOWN TO DISNEY: $204

The first 2 nights in Orlando were spent at the Amerisuites so we could take tours for tickets and not have it cut into our vacation time. For 2 nights + 2 tickets to disney it was $79 if we toured Calypso Cay. The pool at Amerisuites was great and they have stuff for kids to do so it worked out great! We toured while Grammy did the pool thing with the kids. Then we toured Embassy Grands (nice resort!) for 2 tickets, Summer Bay for 2 Touch of Magic passes (2 days at parks + 1 at disney quest) for $115 and Silver Lake for 2 - 2 day universal tickets. So here is what our tickets ended up costing for 6 people:

Disney:
2 Adult Touch of Magic: $115
2 Free Disney
2 Free Disney
2 Child admission $75
Disney Quest: $70
My youngest I passed off as under 3
Total for disney tickets for 6 people for 2 days + Disney Quest 1 day:
$190

Universal:
Tickets purchased through Connections = $221
Upgraded tickets from silverlake to include Islands of Adventure (the lady at the desk gave me the employee discount) $60
Total for 2 days at Universal and Islands of Adventure for 6 people: $280

Arabian Nights Dinner theater for 6 people $140

Now for those 2 nights at Amerisuites our lunches and breakfasts were paid for doing the timeshare tours and grammy and the kids ate the free continential breakfast at the hotel and warmed some ravioli up in the microwave or made sandwiches for lunch. We used the george foreman grill we brought for burgers or chicken sandwiches at night. Total food for those 2 nights $22

On Sunday we moved into Westgate Lakes. Now here is the funny thing. Those poor people tried to talk to me when I checked in - at this point since I had done 2 tours already that day - I could smell a sales pitch coming from a mile away. Like the grown adult that I am, I put my hands over my head and started saying "I can't hear you I can't hear you"! The woman looked at me like I lost my mind - lol. I told her that because I was staying as a guest of an owner I would not be listening to any sales pitches or coming to any maintenance meetings. They tried - oh did they try. I just made appointments I wouldnt keep and basically told them were to kiss. Anyway, the 3 bedroom villa cost us $400 for the week since we won it on ebay. In attendance at this time was: DH, DS's (12, 4, 3), myself, mother in law, mother, sister in law and neice. Thats 9 - we split the room 9 ways for a grand total of $44 pp. That made my share (the 6 of us) $264 for the week. We had tons of room.

MIL and SIL and I went to super walmart to shop for the week. We spent $109 which also included a stroller I ended up returning and a shirt for hubby. Our food total for the week was about $76.

We packed snacks for the parks and bought our brita water bottles and fanny packs- those items cost us about $49 and were well worth it.

We spent about $40/day in the parks on food.

We bought $120 worth of souveniers for people back home.

We bought connections vouchers before we went and ate at Beaches and Cream! BTW the creative genious behind the kitchen sink - is TIM. Very nice guy - best waiter in the joint! We spent $55 on those for the 6 of us. We ate well over $100 worth of food.

We spent $120 in gas on the way home - we drove straight through.

TOTAL FOR TRIP: $1797

For six people that includes transporation, 4 days at the parks, 1 day at disney quest, several days at the resort, food, entertainment, eating out and a luxury resort. We had a 10 day vacation so that averaged $29.95 pp / pd for EVERYTHING!

Not bad - I am going to try to do a little better next year :)

:) Kerry

I plan on doing 10 days in Orlando for my family of 4 in under $2K without doing anything unethical. I hope you know that stroller could not be re-sold, and the company had to take a loss on it.

Very impressive numbers!;) You did indeed do a very cheap but fun trip. Are you totals for everything done in US dollars?:)

Just curious, why did you return the stroller?

Sounds like you really know how to cut costs. Don't know that I would want to go through those presentation or tour things, but to each his own.

Wow...great budgeting on your part!! :) Thanks for posting! :)

Hmmm...don't know of it is really worth it to go through those horrible presentations. Also, passing off your DD as under 3 just doesn't seem right. I, too, am curious why you returned the stroller.

It sounds like you had a good time though.

What EXACTLY did you think I did that was unethical with a stroller???

I purchased the stroller from Walmart and there was a wheel missing so we returned it. We didn't use it!

I do agree that passing my barely 3 year old off as about 2 months younger than he is may be a terrible thing and if you feel that way please pray for my soul as I am surely going to burn for it. Especially since I don't feel the guilt like I should. I promise next year I will pay for him.

Seriously though...

The timeshares were not awful and frankly they didn't put me through as much or get me as angry as just did. But oh well. Here are some tips for dealing with them:

1. Don't talk. Don't engage them in any conversations - it will draw your meeting out. Answer their questions and don't be rude but don't engage them. Most of these people are really nice.

2. Think about what you say before you say it. They will ask if you plan on vacationing every year - say no. They will ask if you like the resort - tell them anything you find unpleasant about the resort and use it as something you just can't live with. Example: The bathrooms in the unit at Calypso Cay are right off the kitchen. I seriously could not live with that.

3. Understand you will be there for 2 hours at least. You are obligated to a 90 minute timeshare presentation but the part where they talk money takes another 30 minutes. Even if it doesn't they have to get the manager to come over and try to talk you into it and then the "guy from corporate" to see if the other 2 were pleasent and to offer you a vacation ... IT TAKES 2 HOURS so schedule accordingly.

4. Overcome objections before you even begin. Walking in there as if you are the wealthiest people there and you could write a check for the timeshare from your petty cash account is fun AND it overcomes their money objection. It will get you through the process faster.

5. The sales people are great - very nice people just trying to make a living. Be nice to them. BUT DON'T FEEL GUILTY ABOUT THE TICKETS!! They offer these tickets to get you to tour. You do the tour you get the tickets. We looked at it as a fact finding mission. We are most likely going to buy a timeshare - resale. We got to see some of the resorts we would like to stay at and got paid with the tickets that way. If you don't ever buy we at least have some ideas on where we would like to stay next trip. They will get their money back from us - they always do.

6. The places we enjoyed touring were: Summer Bay (very nice) and Embassy Grand. Silver Lake was okay and we disliked Calypso Cay although the sales person (Julie) was nice her manager was a horrid bi%*h.

7. Get the most for your time. Sometimes they have better than FREE tickets. Example - the Touch of Magic passes offered at Summer Bay are a very good deal.

Anyway, those are my tips for the timeshares. Not that I think those who accused me of returning a used stroller DESERVE my tips - I expect apologies.

Sammi - yes all US dollars! THANK YOU for not stoning me without cause :)

I remember when I was around 21 or so, my friend and I drove to Florida and had a limited budget...we stopped at South of the Border in SC and signed up to do a time share at Orange Cove (or something like that!)...It wasn't all that bad actually and I really enjoyed looking around the resort and taking the tour...It did last about 2 hours, but in the end we coudn't afford to vacation every year, so we politely declined and they didn't give us any problem at all...just asked us which tickets we wanted for what park...but honestly, I thought it was more fun than anything...I really loved looking at the rooms they had there....:)

Glad you enjoyed your trip, kandj2! :)

I agree that its probably a good deal to get those free tickets for doing a timeshare presentation, but I just wouldn't want to deal with it on vacation. We did one in Park City once to get a $50 restaurant gift certificate. It was a NIGHTMARE getting out. This was years ago when my friend and I were each 20 year old single gals. We were very intimidated and bullied.

I'm sorry if you felt I was accusing you of being unethical with the stroller. I was just wondering why you took it back since it was mentioned in your report. :)

You really had and inexpensive trip! Could you tell me more about Summer Cay?

Liz honey - you did not attack me. You asked - that is different than downright accusing.

Belle5 Summer Bay is beautiful! It is a little farther out than the other resorts but that is part of its charm. You can really relax there. They have the villas (studio 1, 2 and 3 bdrm) and the vacation homes (those are really nice). They have a great lake area with the blow up iceburgs and stuff for the kids. It is the closest atmosphere I have felt to Old Key West. Would I buy there? I'm not sure. They are building still and I would want to see how big it is going to be. It is well worth the time to tour there.

Your post did sound like you bought the stroller, used it, and returned it. I thought the same thing when I read it.

We have also did a timeshare that resulted in $90 Disney dollars, but both my DH and I agreed that it was not worth our time, but if you do have a few hours to spare, and the ability to say no they are a great way to save a few bucks.

We are here to talk about saving money. I agree with your edited post that I do try hard to save a buck - especially at disney. People with large families, including parents and children they are taking care of, have to work to go there. Its not easy and I'm sorry for you if you are offended that I returned a defective stroller and carried my 3 year old in the park but that is your issue - not mine. I don't feel bad about carrying a child that is barely 3 into the parks. Go to CBR in March 2002 with your little family of 4 - not all of us can afford that. THIS IS THE BUDGET board.

Go to CBR in March 2002 with your little family of 4 - not all of us can afford that. THIS IS THE BUDGET board.

Thanks, I will. :) Oh, and we're planning to do it at right about 2K, too, so I'm always looking for GOOD ideas to save money. I don't read the boards just to criticize, but your post just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. But this is just getting silly. No, I don't agree with some of your money saving ideas, but maybe I could have stated it more tactfully. I'm glad you were able to take a trip to Disney. We've put off going til now because of the costs, and I know it can get very expensive. No, I don't feel like a jerk or an idiot (your words), but I don't want to argue about this any longer. I come to these boards for fun!!! Disney is supposed to bring out the good in all of us, not the bad. So, that's it from me on this...have a very Disney Day. :)

:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy:

For what it's worth - when I read the first post I thought the stroller had been returned used. Your post didn't state that it was missing a wheel AND you were trying to explain how you saved $.

Second of all - if Mickeyluver37 can take a family of 4 to the CBR for 2K I think she definitely belongs on the budget board. I'd love to hear how a trip like that can be accomplished.

I am reading the boards to try and find an economical way to get my family of 5 to WDW this December with limited funds available and am intrigued when people can give me examples of ways to save.

Happy looking back on the post and this whole mess I can see after Mickeyluver37's post why people would think that BUT the difference is that she out and out accused me of it. She didn't ask like everyone else who had a concern.

Second of all I was trying to help people to save money as I was asked to do when I returned from my trip. I was being truthful about all my methods - if someone doesn't like a part they can choose to not use it. I totally understand people not liking that I carried my 3 year old in. I don't have a problem with it. I know a lot of people don't. That doesnt mean I'll do anything for a buck like MIC said!

If people don't want my tips and don't like my posts fine - don't read it. I WAS ASKED to post when I returned and give my final talley which was about $700 more than it should have been.

MIC doesnt think my tips are GOOD and we have wasted a lot of space in this little battle. (Miss precious has a clean conscious like no one else I know - watch out for the lightning MIC it can fry your computer. )

Does anyone else have any tips they would like to have slaughtered - I mean - give. Since mine obviously are laden with deceit and terror and therefore should be rendered unuseable.

Just a friendly reminder to play nice. :) :D :) Soooooooooooo, how about we skip any further discussions regarding the misunderstood stroller return or comments about a 3 year old entering the parks for free... let's get on to more important things like how to save money at Disney!!!

Which Amerisuites did you stay at? Universal, Convention Center or Disney? Just wondering because we have reservations at Amerisuites Universal and I was wondering how it is.

Hi tinaluis!

We stayed at the Amerisuites at Disney I believe. It was the one at Calypso Cay. The rooms were a little small for our family - they do sleep 6 comfortably though. We enjoyed the pool! The pool has a really cool slide and a beach like area for the little kids. Breakfast was not great at the Amerisuites but if anyone decides to stay there you can go across the courtyard to the Country Inn and they have a better breakfast. It is perfectly fine to do this as they are all on the same property and all trying to sell to Calypso Cay timeshare people. There are no restaurants or bars open yet at the hotel but the outlet malls, flea markets and great dining are right down the street on 192.

I apologize to the people who were trying to read the post and pick up a few tips. That whole mess should have been done in private. I became angry and should not have drug you all through that mess with me. It was unladylike and I apologize for that. I truely hope that some people got something out of this thread as it was meant for that purpose.

One more thing I forgot to mention regarding strollers. You can pick up an umbrella stroller at the Super Walmart I mentioned for 10.97 each. Just make sure they have all the wheels before you leave the store. The front wheels are not attached and they should have 2 sets taped to the stroller. That should save a bundle on rental if you don't find the same one I did.

kandj2,

I have to admit that I thought you were nuts for doing timeshare tours for 2 of your days, but I am really, really glad to hear that it worked out for you! I'm also very proud of you for telling the Westgate Sharks where to go! LOL! You got a great deal at Westgate ... did you bid on a specific week or did the seller work with you? Just curious ;).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter