Just back... if on budget do timeshare pres!

NotGrumpy

Earning My Ears
Hi all,
I thought this may be of interest to some of you budgeting gurus. I know most of you know about timeshare, but may not have experienced it.

My husband and I are from Australia and our exchange rate is very poor against the US dollar. This may be one of the reasons why timeshare makes a difference.

If you have time to spare (yes it does take 1/2 a day), you may be able to earn $80 (yes US) or get free tickets. We were offerred Disney Dollars and tickets to Universal Studios as well as many of the dinner show packages.

Although tedious, usually you get a breakfast out of it and if you are all interested in property/real estate then it is somewhat interesting.

We were "conned" into the timeshare presentation we had to do, but if I we went to Orlando again I think I would PLAN a timeshare presentation to earn/save some dollars.

HTH

The only timeshare presentation we did on our last trip was the DISNEY presentation. We spent a couple hours previewing the Boardwalk property and sitting in an office listening the the sales pitch. I only agreed to do it because I read on these boards that someone was offered a free lunch at one of the Boardwalk restaurants for taking the tour. Well, we didn't get lunch, or any other incentive. We did NOT sign on the dotted line, but it was a fun way to spend a few hours on our last day. Not all presentations give you freebies...but if you really know in advance you are NOT buying, be sure you know in advance what you're getting or you will waste your time.
BTW....did you buy?

No we didn't buy any timeshare. I don't think we were at all tempted as we have many other investments which we need the funds for (ie the opportunity cost was too high!).

And in addition to that, the quality of the fittings was not what I was use to. It wasn't a Disney timeshare thing, it was off-site.

Apparently the company that runs out of Belz gives a pretty good deal (freebie).

As mentioned before, as long as you are fully aware of what you are getting yourself in for (ie a sales pitch which lasts for 1/2 a day) then go for it. It's a good way to save/earn some $$.

Hi Notgrumpy,

Did you by any cahnce attend Westgate Resorts time share presentation. They have offered me 4 night sata nd 2 Disney Parks tics and local coupon book for $170 for attent\ding their presentaion. I like to know how was ur experience if you went with WESTGATE RESAORT. I checked their website ...the ersort looks very luxurios..............but i am still not sure if we should spend 90-120 min listening to their hard sell presentation.

Thanks.

Originally posted by ritu_card
Hi Notgrumpy,

Did you by any cahnce attend Westgate Resorts time share presentation. They have offered me 4 night sata nd 2 Disney Parks tics and local coupon book for $170 for attent\ding their presentaion. I like to know how was ur experience if you went with WESTGATE RESAORT. I checked their website ...the ersort looks very luxurios..............but i am still not sure if we should spend 90-120 min listening to their hard sell presentation.

Thanks.

Last I heard, Westgate is one of the highest pressure of all, and they will keep you there for up to three hours, and really give you a hard time about leaving.

Marriott is supposed to be a lot like DVC, much less pressure.

Anne

Thanks for the info.

Would you have Marriots website where they have offered their timeshare offer. Or a ph number wuld be good too.

Thanks again.

Ritu

Ritu,

check out http://www.tug2.net/ads/mpromo.shtml which is the Timeshare Users Group's owner referral page. You go on the tour and get the goodies and the owner gets a kickback from the timeshare company. There are many Orlando timeshares to choose from.

Both of my sisters (and their husbands) did the Marriott timeshare pitch- one bought, one didn't. They did them at separate times, so we all got to go on vacation. I think we paid $300 for four or five nights in a two bedroom luxury villa, with q-sized sofa bed in living room. Each time, the couple who booked was given two one-day passes to WDW, which Disney exchanged for a discount on the park hoppers they were buying. The timeshare talk was advertised as 90 mins, and by FL state law (hope they're better than their election laws!) you only have to stay for the talk for the advertised amount of time and no longer. Talk was scheduled for 7 am and we were all on our wat to WDW by 9am. Good deal!! And really no hard sell!

We had the same experience with Marriott....no pressure and out quickly. Beautiful resort.

Ritu,

I am a Marriott owner. Go to www.mvci.com They may list specials there. Marriott at one-time required owner referalls (I don't think they do anymore.) If so, e-mail me your name and mumber and I'll have a Marriott represenative give you a call. Marriott is not no pressure like DVC but it is low pressure.

Rod

We did the westgate lakes 2-3 years ago. We already own at Disney Vacation Club (great) and needed the free stay. It was an owner referral deal. The pressure was terrible. THe guy was a jerk, we were there over 3 hours. He knew we werent interested but just kept going on and on and on. But the place is very nice. Friends bought a resale/foreclosure from them. My cousin owned Westgate towers and was so mad she let it go back without payments.
Weve done a few others in the area with no problem. Blue Tree, etc.

Hi ritu_card!

DVC is the Disney Vacation Club - a Disney Time Share.
Hope that this helps! :)

Thanks Beth and Leslie for the info.

HUMmmmmmmmmmm...i am really confused here................earlier westgate offerd me the pacage(4nig stay, 2 Disney tics and coupon) for $170. i called them to cancel as I got the messages about their being pushy..........and the the guy at WGate came down to $140 and then to $99. Looking at the price and the pakage the offer sure does sound very attractive but still don't know what to do.PLEASE HELP SOMEONE TO DECIDE.........what would you do in this situation.

If we tell the person who gives the tour that we have a appointment at certain time and we have to be there......do they still keep on going with their hard push. i mean if we tell tham that we only have 90 min and then we willHAVE to leave ..do you think this will work.

This is really driving me crazy to choose................the offer is too good but then can't decide if it is worth spending 2 hrs with those sales men. Please Help!!!

Thanks,
Ritu

Ritu,

Only you can decide what will work for you. I think you have just gotten a taste of the tactics that will be used. You called to cancel. Did you cancel? If not, then you're probably going to have a hard time getting out of there at the conclusion of 90 minutes. Like others, I have heard nothing but horror stories about Westgate presentations. The salespeople have been trained to deal with every objection or excuse. The only thing that might work is walking in with a stopwatch and showing it to the salesperson the moment he or she says Hello and then letting him know he has 90 minutes or whatever time frame you committed to. That should set the right tone for the next 90 minutes.

Do this... go in with a stop watch, Really I mean it.

Tell them you know that they can only keep you there 90 minutes by law. When the stop watch has hit the 80 minute mark, tell them you want them to validate your stay. Which they have to do, or they can supposedly charge you the full amount.

It may also be good to have a video camera with you. This you can turn on and point at them if they don't finish up. Be prepared to say NO, then be prepared to say NO to the next guy they bring out. They then try to sell you a resale. Or have you put money down as a hold on a future sale.

My husband ripped up the papers in front of the man, and told him, that he really didn't want him to walk into the room with all the others "future" owners and badmouth them.

It worked. They signed and we walked out. They are tuff, very tuff and this was Westlake. Nice place though.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the suggestion.................Guess i will have to do something like that

Ritu

Hi Everyone

How is everyone today? I am great. I have a question. I was going to stay that the westgate. I myself think it looks like a nice place to stay. I love the hot tub in our bedroom. It just looks nice. OK, here it is i am going to pay full price, because i have chosen to stay here. I do not want to do a presentation. I just want to go and relax for a couple of days and then go to the timeshare i rented at Vistana resorts. Will anyone bother me at either one of these places. I really want to go and relax and not be bothered by anyones sales pitch. I can see if you want to do it, but i don't. Will they leave me alone?:smooth:

just tell them at check in....you do not want to get a call from them about a "sales tour" since you are not there on any promotion......

they usually try to "present" the resort to anyone who stays there...

we always get an invite for a tour when we exchange into other resorts......sometimes we do them sometimes we do not...depends on what they are offering...

they even do this at our home resort ....orange lake country club...

just be very firm that you are here to relax and do not want to be "invited" to take a tour

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter