Just back from OKW - Report

gonzalj1

DIS Veteran
Just got back from a 7 night stay in a 2BR OKW unit - Room 5613. We had requested a 1st floor unit close to a quiet pool and that's exactly what we got. Good news there.

The room was in excellent shape. Clean, well stocked and the new pull out sofas are extra comfy according to DD (3.5). Good news there.

The resort looked great as usual and the new slide looked and rode great. Good news there.

The bad news.... Why does it take 20-30 minutes to check in? I'm not talking about the wait to check in. I'm talking about the process after you get up to the desk. We stood there for 25 minutes, confirmed all of the names of our party 3 times and waited... and waited... and waited. Then finally got a room assignment and our room keys. We weren't adding passes to our room keys or assigning charging priveleges to some keys and not others. All the keys were the same. This is my 4th DVC trip and each one has had this problem. What are they doing the whole time they stare at that screen? FYI.. BCV and OKW seem to have the same problem.

The best news... We had a great time. Took the kiddies to MNNSHP and everybody had a blast! This really was worth the money. The fireworks are wonderful and the parade is one of the best I've seen on property. The kids loved the candy and the rides without any waiting.

Glad to answer any questions.

I don't know what is up with the front desk personnel. We also had difficulty with them the last two times we were there. They were unfriendly. The one time I was put in building 11, I asked to be reassigned due to being claustrophobic with all the shrubs in front of the windows and the patio. They refused, and I spent the night sleeping in my car!!! :earseek: When I went back a month later, I called the resort directly to alert them to the claustrophobia issue and shrubs, and was told that I should go to a different resort to stay!! When I got huffy (I can't imagine why) ;) they assigned me to a golf course view. Now, why was that so difficult? :confused3

While the folks at SSR have always been cheerful folks, I did notice last May that the check-in process has grown longer. There's a lot more looking at screen after screen, then printing out a lot of things, then the keys, then the 'how to get there' map, etc. Plus, I know we've only been going for less than two years, but that welcome pack seems to have grown from a few necessary bits of paper to something similar in size to what a college freshman gets.

I suspect the longer check-in isn't just for DVC villas. The longest check-ins I've ever experienced were a couple of times at WL (not the villas), where the conversation at the desk took almost an hour!

with the rooms no longer beginning pre assigned - it will take the front desk longer.

I mean before they could (at times) change a room.

now they have to go and find the room.

sometimes they don't have alot to choice from - so you are stuck with whatever comes up - when they know it isn't what you want - they try again but sometimes there is no choice.

anyway the pre assignment of rooms is gone.

so the front desk is having to do that job, too.

sorry it was a longer wait for you.

plus with the everyone names on the keys - that takes longer too.

spiceycat said:
with the rooms no longer beginning pre assigned - it will take the front desk longer.

I mean before they could (at times) change a room.

now they have to go and find the room.

sometimes they don't have alot to choice from - so you are stuck with whatever comes up - when they know it isn't what you want - they try again but sometimes there is no choice.

anyway the pre assignment of rooms is gone.

so the front desk is having to do that job, too.

sorry it was a longer wait for you.

plus with the everyone names on the keys - that takes longer too.

Back in the good old days before computers took over and DVC we would stay at the Poly. The CM would disappear into the back and come back two minutes later with the keys. Even when it was real busy!!!!!!

Cruelladeville said:
I don't know what is up with the front desk personnel. We also had difficulty with them the last two times we were there. They were unfriendly. The one time I was put in building 11, I asked to be reassigned due to being claustrophobic with all the shrubs in front of the windows and the patio. They refused, and I spent the night sleeping in my car!!! :earseek: When I went back a month later, I called the resort directly to alert them to the claustrophobia issue and shrubs, and was told that I should go to a different resort to stay!! When I got huffy (I can't imagine why) ;) they assigned me to a golf course view. Now, why was that so difficult? :confused3

:confused3 You're claustrophobic in a room with bushes outside a window but not in a car??

To the casual observer this is puzzling, which probably accounts for their response. But I'm not a psychiatrist. It may be a common symptom.

I thought that the room assignment might have been the hang up as well. But when I think about it the CM had my room number written down on a pad within about 5 minutes of our getting to her. This room met all of our requests perfectly. No reason to look for other rooms.

The names makes sense. But we give the names ahead of time when we make the ressies. Shouldn't take 20 minutes to confirm that the names are the same as when the ressie was made and print room keys.

Sorry... still doesn't make sense to me.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm really upset about this. Just really puzzled that DVC seems to be making a fairly simple process take forever. It's especially frustrating that this is the first experience you have when you arrive. You're all excited to get into your room and relax a little or maybe hit the parks and you spend all this time getting checked in.

spiceycat said:

I am not sure who gave you this information. :confused3 BCV in May was still assigning rooms. We just returned from VB and the room was assigned there as well. It is up to each individual resort wether they assign rooms or use a room ready system. Unfortunately they are not all on the same page. For the record I hate assigned rooms. Room ready gets guests into a clean room and gives the guest some form of "ownership" as they "choose" from the available rooms. How many people will complain about a location they choose?

DAVE

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter