Just back from 2/28 Wonder

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrinsonBunch

Earning My Ears
We just got home from a 3 night cruise on the Wonder, and I have to say it wasn't the trip we hoped it would be. Not that we blame DCL - we just had absolutely terrible weather!

The temperature was cool (low 50's) when we left, and the winds were up to 40 knots while we were at sea. Because of this, we were unable to visit Castaway Cay (the most anticipated part of the cruise for me). The rough seas made everyone in our family seasick, except my husband, and none of us are are feeling completely right, even after two days back on land!

It's hard not to feel disappointed after reading all of the posts on this board about how enjoyable everything was for others (especially Castaway Cay). We tried to make the best of it (so as not to completely ruin the trip for our two DD's 6 & 9), but it's hard to enjoy yourself when the weather is bad, and you're too seasick to enjoy the food!

Was anyone else on the 2/28 cruise? Does anyone know whether DCL would be willing to offer us a discount voucher for a future cruise since we missed Castaway Cay (and had such miserable weather)? It would have to be a major discount for me to convince my husband to go again.

Here's hoping others don't have the same experience!!:(

That is so depressing. For us, this cruise will be a special once-in-a-lifetime vacation. We don't usually spend this much on trips. To think after all the planning, saving, excitement, it's a bust due to the weather. That's just so unfortunate. I think Disney should offer some type of future discount to you. After all, they do offer specials occassionally anyway, so it's not like they're out anything and customer satisfaction is supposed to be high priority.

Sorry, I don't think Disney should offer anything because of bad weather. They can't control it. If they offer discounts due to bad weather on the cruise, next you'll have people wanting them due to bad weather at the parks.

Sorry your trip wasn't as good as you had hoped for, but it certainly wasn't DCL's fault that the weather was bad.

Why not look at cruising during an off month when discounts are very steep to begin with if you want to try again?

Anne

Me and my wife have the same fears we read the boards and we prepare ourselves for all the magic on the ship and to go to castaway cay which played a major part in deciding to go with disney.We have 6000.00 invested in a four day cruise that is a once in a lifetime vacation and not to be able to enjoy what you paid for scares us.When you invest this kind of money to take a vacation of lifetime I think disney should step up and at least give you a substantal discount on another cruise if weather or high seas plays a part like in your cruise.It very sad to read this report .

I have to admit, I was reluctant to post a negative comment about our DCL experience because you see so few of them here, and when you do see one, the person posting the negative comment is often attacked. Still, I felt that our experience should be shared so that people reading these boards don't just see the positive comments, but have a realistic expectation that it may not be the trip of your dreams!

That being said, we understood that the weather was beyond DCL's control, and we agreed with their decision not to attempt to dock in dangerous winds. But, that doesn't change the fact that we invested a substantial amount of money in this trip, and we didn't even have the opportunity to step foot on Castaway Cay! From what I understand, this doesn't happen very often. Hopefully that will calm some of the fears of daltonsdodisney and rocket99 (and any others reading this thread). But to me, it also opens the door for Disney to offer us a discount on a future cruise. Not because of the poor weather, but because we missed a major part of our voyage (the day at Castaway Cay). We have no intention of investing any more money with DCL by "cruising during an off month when discounts are very steep" because, as far as we're concerned, we didn't get our money's worth the first time. Why should we spend even more of our money during an off month and risk even worse weather (such as hurricanes or tropical storms)??

I have to admit, I was reluctant to post a negative comment about our DCL experience because you see so few of them here, and when you do see one, the person posting the negative comment is often attacked. Still, I felt that our experience should be shared so that people reading these boards don't just see the positive comments, but have a realistic expectation that it may not be the trip of your dreams!

That being said, we understood that the weather was beyond DCL's control, and we agreed with their decision not to attempt to dock in dangerous winds. But, that doesn't change the fact that we invested a substantial amount of money in this trip, and we didn't even have the opportunity to step foot on Castaway Cay! From what I understand, this doesn't happen very often. Hopefully that will calm some of the fears of daltonsdodisney and rocket99 (and any others reading this thread). But to me, it also opens the door for Disney to offer us a discount on a future cruise. Not because of the poor weather, but because we missed a major part of our voyage (the day at Castaway Cay). We have no intention of investing any more money with DCL by "cruising during an off month when discounts are very steep" because, as far as we're concerned, we didn't get our money's worth the first time. Why should we spend even more of our money during an off month and risk even worse weather (such as hurricanes or tropical storms)??

I'm sorry if you saw my response as an attack. It wasn't meant to be. You state that you understand taht Disney can't control the weather. Yous tate that you wouldn't have wanted them to try to dock in bad weather. Yet you seem to blame them for your not making it to castaway Cay. That just isn't logical in the way I'm looking at it.

I still don't understand why you think they should give you something. If they couldn't dock because the engine was broken, then I'd agree. If it was because the lifeguards were all sick, I'd agree. But it was weather, 100%. Disney has no control over this. Therefore I don't see why Disney owes you anything.

Anne

Although I've never cruised on the Disney ships, I've been on 6 cruises, with a 7th scheduled for this summer. Most cruiselines have it written somewhere in their brochure that they are not responsible for changes in itinerary (such as missing a port). We have missed ports due to weather on several occasions. It is unfortunate when it happens, especially when you've looked forward to a vacation for a year or longer (and spent a large sum of money). I hope this doesn't turn you off cruising forever. Sorry your trip wasn't what you expected it to be:(

Sorry you had such bad weather...but at least now you have an excuse to go back!

Sorry to hear how your cruise worked out. We aren't leaving for our family reunion trip until June 2003. I've been "lurking" for a bit while I read each trip report in detail to learn what worked for people and what didn't. While the majority are positive, every so often someone has a real problem such as you experienced. I understand your point that since CC is such an integral part of the trip, that it is frustrating to have missed it. I hope that the overall trip was enjoyable and that you got to experience a little bit of Disney magic.

Sorry that you missed Castaway Cay. I know that you're disappointed. We went in Sept 2000 and we couldn't have asked for a better day. Beautiful, warm calm winds. It was the absolute best day we could have hoped for. We took my mom in Oct 2001 and it was a tad chilly and the winds were blowing well enough that snorkling was a waste of time (water wasn't clear enough with the winds kicking up) but even then we had a nice time. This year we'll go again in Sept. and while we risk going in hurricane season, it's the chance we'll have to take because getting there on a perfect day makes it all worth while.

PS. I'm not prone to seasickness (and NOTHING ever interferes with my appetite) but I'm always shocked when people say they experience it aboard the Wonder or the Magic. We couldn't tell it was moving on our 1st trip and it moved very little on our 2nd. And then we could only tell when we were in the forward theater. Hmmm.

Oh well, wish me luck for Sept's weather,
Cheryl :bounce:

Any time you book a vacation anywhere ... you run the risk of bad weather making you miserable.

It would never even cross my mind to even hope that DCL would to give me a refund or discount booking due to weather / rough seas / etc.

When I was in WDW .. I did not get to see Fantasmic due to bad weather.... I didn't get a partial refund of that days admission.

When I went for a beach vacation last year..... It rained and was windy / cold the entire trip ... I didn't get any special discounts or anything to come back on a sunny day.

Having bad weather on a cruise would... well ... suck. But that's life .. you take the good with the bad.

Disney may be magical ... but even they cannot control the weather and just because they are Disney ... they should not have to pay for it either.

Dismayed,
wdwo

After reading some of the replies to BrinsonBunch's thead I'm beginning to wonder if Disney doesn't pump some sort of chemical into these people's rooms at night to brain wash them.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

While I understand that Disney can not be held responsible for the weather, I also think that because it is such a rare occurance for a ship not to be able to dock at CC that in the grand scheme of things Disney would be better served to offer compensation to these people than risk losing them as customers altogether. I have been on the odd vacation (not cruise) where weather definitely put a damper on our enjoyment but I don't think that compares to not being able to enjoy 25% of your expected vacation (1 day of a four day cruise). If I wake-up in the morning at WDW at it is storming I can chose not to go to the park that day and save my ticket for another day or vacation. If I'm in the park and ir starts to rain I can either choose to leave or find activities that are less dependent on the weather. On the ship you don't have that choice!!

I should ask BrinsonBunch: Were they able to dock elsewhere that day?

As well to wdwobsessed: Perhaps if DCL spent more money protecting there dock from unfriendly weather they would still be able to dock there is high seas. While I agree "Disney may be magical ... but even they cannot control the weather and just because they are Disney ... they should not have to pay for it either" I still think it is in there best interest to.

Going on Disney Magic April 13-20, hoping for good weather, thinking about wearing a gas mask to bed at night (see above).

Cheers

Originally posted by Goofyrules

As well to wdwobsessed: Perhaps if DCL spent more money protecting there dock from unfriendly weather they would still be able to dock there is high seas. While I agree "Disney may be magical ... but even they cannot control the weather and just because they are Disney ... they should not have to pay for it either" I still think it is in there best interest to.

Cheers

Maybe if you were a cruise ship captain you could answer this question. I am not one .. so I cannot.

I DO KNOW however that many cruise ships have to alter thier itenerary from time to time. Will I be dissapointed if we cannot go to CC .. yes .. but if not .. I will stay on the ship and have fun elsewhere.

If you feel you should be compensated for bad weather on a cruise .. then you should not cruise.

For example .. I went on a Carnival Cruise ... it was SOOOO rough they had barf bags stuck all over the ship. We were loosing our footing it was so rough .. everyone would kind of lean to the left and take a few steps .. stumbling kind of ... then lean to the right ... lol.

Some people ... could not hack it and got sick. That made it IMPOSSIBLE for them to enjoy ANY of thier vacation.

Should these people have gotten a refund?

You also stated that if you are at the parks and it rains you have a choice of staying in and not using your ticket that day .. ... well, the ultimate park hopper .. would not allow this. Should Disney refund a day of UMP's if there are bad thunderstorms one day?

We have a word for this at another site I frequent .. and host at.

It's called

"entitlement mentality"

wdwo

I have watched reply after reply drift further away from the point I was originally trying to make by starting this thread, so let me state it again.

I DO NOT HOLD DISNEY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE WEATHER. I DO NOT THINK I AM "ENTITLED" TO ANY KIND OF REFUND.

I was simply trying to do two things - first, to give something back to these boards since they were useful to me and my family in planning our vacation. Whether others like it or not, I think people should be fully informed of what to expect on a WDW cruise (bad weather and missed ports of call included) so that they have a realistic idea of what to expect.

Secondly, I think it would have been smart for Disney to offer some kind of incentive to the participants of our less-than-"Wonder"ful cruise to give DCL another try. I have been in the marketing/ advertising field for over 20 years, and know that it is simply good business to offer people who had a disappointing experience with a product or service some kind of incentive to try again. People share their experiences (on these boards and with their friends and neighbors) and if someone comes away with a bad impression, their bad word of mouth can be very damaging.

I'm not talking about a free cruise or a refund, simply a discount or upgrade on a future cruise (with dates to be determined by Disney based on availability). When you buy tickets to an outdoor baseball game or concert, you fully expect a "raincheck" if weather disrupts the event. Likewise, our cruise itinerary was seriously disrupted by the weather. And, as I stated in my original post, I was told that this has only happened four times since the launch of the Wonder (?). Surely it would not be unreasonable for Disney to offer some kind of special offer to affected cruise participants in these few instances?

If I were working in the marketing department at Disney, I would encourage them to establish some kind of incentive policy for this kind of seldom-occuring disruption (such as missing a major port of call). This only makes good business sense, and doesn't have to cost Disney money. I know for a fact that Disney offers all kinds of discounts on future cruises because I've seen them on these boards (the $99 deal), and have heard about them from friends in the travel industry. I also overheard the people in the cabin next to us tell our host that they were "comp guests" on this trip, and he didn't need to collect their evaluation form.

That being said, this whole discussion is moot. My husband has made it clear that he has no intention of taking another Disney Cruise (incentive or not). I just hope this discussion is helpful to others.

BrinsonBrunch,

Please do not feel that I feel that YOU have "entitlement mentality' ...

You were just asking a question.

My last post was to someone who decided to quote me .. .. and address me .. therefore, I responded to that person.

My original post was for you, but not the second one.

If you were not happy with your cruise ... than DH has the right idea .. don't do it agian.

But, I would maybe stay away from cruising peroid .. because this can and does happen with other cruise lines as well. Especially ones that are only 3/4 days ... since the options of sailing to other ports is limited.

wdwo

I could not agree more with BrinsonBrunch it only makes good sense to offer some sort of discount or upgrade to passenger in this situation. If some people wish to call that "entitlement mentality" go ahead, I call it good business sense!!!

Question for BrinsonBrunch: If Disney had stepped up and offered a discount voucher or upgrade certificate before or as your family was leaving the ship would DH's opinion about taking another cruise be different?

I just attempted to post a reply to Goofyrules, but for some reason it is not appearing, so I'll try again. I apologize if this turns out to be a repeat (as happened to me earlier).

I'm not sure if DH would have wanted to take advantage of a discount offer at the time, but I would have definitely been motivated to try again (and think that between us, my 2 DDs and I could have convinced him)!

Also, to answer your earlier question, DCL attempted to dock at Freeport that day, but the winds prevented it. Instead, we spent the day at sea, and tried to make the best of it at the Mickey & Goofy pools. They were unbelievably packed, and the rocky seas made the pool waters sway so much that it really made me nervous! I finally pulled my two DD's out of the pool with an offer to go see a movie. Unfortunately, Ebert & Roeper (and their entourage) were on board, and monopolized the BV theater most of the trip. However, DCL did open up the theater and attempted to show "Return to Neverland", but had technical difficulties.

Hi Brinsonbunch,
I am so sorry to hear that your cruise was less than great. My husband and I have cruised with disney 3 times and have a 4th one planned for October, So far we have made it to Castaway Cay all 3 times. All in all we have always had a great time on our cruises. (Some bad weather, rough seas, Cancelled excursion due to tropical depression, bad drink service on one cruise.) We still think the good things have out numbered the bad ones. I hope you have a better vacation next time, and maybe one day will want to cruise again.

Are you sure that there wasn't some sort of "guest recovery" offered during that cruise--right as the "bad" things were happening? Once, when my DH was cruising on the Wonder, they too were unable use CC due to bad weather. Instead--Disney offered everyone free drinks for a period of time (that afternoon).

Often, when there is a missed parade or show at WDW due to rain, you will see the very same characters from that parade/show making a special appearance elsewhere (under cover) in order to salvage the situation.

It just sounds like from what you're saying that the cruise was horrible, and no one on the staff cared. I'm sure that wasn't the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter