June 19 - 23, 2023 Wish - One and Done For us on DCL

Imurhuckleberry

Earning My Ears
I'll get this part out of the way right away...I'm not a "cruise person. Have been on 3 previous cruises and it's just not my thing. To those who enjoy them, that's great, this isn't an attack...

Family members took myself, spouse, and 4 yr old on this 4 night cruise. Our 4 yr old enjoyed it for the most part, and there were plenty of standout positives:
  • Food was exceptional - All 3 restaurants, marceline market, and even the quick serve locations were all stellar.
  • Staff - It's disney so this is the expectation. But, it was still A+ and better than any 5-star, non-disney destination
  • Kids Club - We had to drag ours out of there on the first day. The 2nd day he asked to be picked up after 90 mins, but that was more than likely due to him being exhausted and hungry
  • Castaway Cay - If we spent 3 days here instead of Nassau and a Sea Day, perhaps my conclusion would be different. Loved everything about it. Yes, it was crowded but I grew up going to Northeast US beaches. So a beach crowd is just what it is. Definitely the worst food of any meal,but still solid and just fine for a day at the beach
Now, the "ugh"
  • wifi
  • wifi
  • wifi
  • did I mention wifi? I own a business and was essentially disconnected from it for 4 days. And I paid or the most expensive wifi option. Not good. All I needed was 1 hr per day to connect with my team and handle urgent stuff. It took me at least 4-5 hours EVERY DAY to fight the wifi and get done what I needed. I would sit down from ~7a to 10a each morning, then go back at it at ~8p just to try again
  • Time - Why are there so many kids activities scheduled for 8p and later? pirate night, fireworks, etc. A 4 yr old who is used to being in bed by 8p and has gone full speed all day (you try slowing him down on a disney cruise), is not going to make it to those events
  • Price - Obscene how expensive this was. Yes, our family took us on it and handled the bill. But I feel bad for them paying what they did. Absolutely no way the value was worth the price and we won't ever pay out of our pocket. Or allow a family member to do it for us
  • Size - I'm 6'5 and now you're starting to understand why I'm not a cruise person. I just don't fit anywhere except outside
  • Adult Area - Loved it, except why do they pump music through the entire space constantly? If it isn't their pseudo, new age musak, it was a live performer at the bear. Who was just fine and talented, but why does his sound need to be pumped through the speakers around the adult area
  • Pools -Why is there no pool for actual swimming? They're all SO small and SO crowded
  • Hot Tub in adult area - Others have covered it, but how many times can 1 person be expected to listen to Mickey and his Aqua Mouse exit speech?
Plenty of other pros and cons, but those are the ones that stick out

To each their own, happy cruising to those that love it. I'll see some of you at the Aulani pools every year :)

I'll get this part out of the way right away...I'm not a "cruise person. Have been on 3 previous cruises and it's just not my thing. To those who enjoy them, that's great, this isn't an attack...

Family members took myself, spouse, and 4 yr old on this 4 night cruise. Our 4 yr old enjoyed it for the most part, and there were plenty of standout positives:
  • Food was exceptional - All 3 restaurants, marceline market, and even the quick serve locations were all stellar.
  • Staff - It's disney so this is the expectation. But, it was still A+ and better than any 5-star, non-disney destination
  • Kids Club - We had to drag ours out of there on the first day. The 2nd day he asked to be picked up after 90 mins, but that was more than likely due to him being exhausted and hungry
  • Castaway Cay - If we spent 3 days here instead of Nassau and a Sea Day, perhaps my conclusion would be different. Loved everything about it. Yes, it was crowded but I grew up going to Northeast US beaches. So a beach crowd is just what it is. Definitely the worst food of any meal,but still solid and just fine for a day at the beach
Now, the "ugh"
  • wifi
  • wifi
  • wifi
  • did I mention wifi? I own a business and was essentially disconnected from it for 4 days. And I paid or the most expensive wifi option. Not good. All I needed was 1 hr per day to connect with my team and handle urgent stuff. It took me at least 4-5 hours EVERY DAY to fight the wifi and get done what I needed. I would sit down from ~7a to 10a each morning, then go back at it at ~8p just to try again
  • Time - Why are there so many kids activities scheduled for 8p and later? pirate night, fireworks, etc. A 4 yr old who is used to being in bed by 8p and has gone full speed all day (you try slowing him down on a disney cruise), is not going to make it to those events
  • Price - Obscene how expensive this was. Yes, our family took us on it and handled the bill. But I feel bad for them paying what they did. Absolutely no way the value was worth the price and we won't ever pay out of our pocket. Or allow a family member to do it for us
  • Size - I'm 6'5 and now you're starting to understand why I'm not a cruise person. I just don't fit anywhere except outside
  • Adult Area - Loved it, except why do they pump music through the entire space constantly? If it isn't their pseudo, new age musak, it was a live performer at the bear. Who was just fine and talented, but why does his sound need to be pumped through the speakers around the adult area
  • Pools -Why is there no pool for actual swimming? They're all SO small and SO crowded
  • Hot Tub in adult area - Others have covered it, but how many times can 1 person be expected to listen to Mickey and his Aqua Mouse exit speech?
Plenty of other pros and cons, but those are the ones that stick out

To each their own, happy cruising to those that love it. I'll see some of you at the Aulani pools every year :)
I'm the same. I've done maybe 10 cruises in my life and although I did enjoy them, I really didn't rush back. Although it's changed a bit I did find them too restrictive and I'm not really into all the activities either. I really hate the set dining times on DCL. DH doesn't really like them at all because he feels he's trapped on the ship. I do have to say, I really did like The Big Red Boat a lot but I was a lot younger then and that may have been a factor. Now Aulani, that's something I could wrap my head around!

Last edited:
I'll get this part out of the way right away...I'm not a "cruise person. Have been on 3 previous cruises and it's just not my thing.
Yes, this is pretty clear from your post. Wifi, swimming pools, etc., on cruises are not going to be the equal of what you would get on land. Disney isn't going to be able to make you like cruises if you're not a cruise person.

Time - Why are there so many kids activities scheduled for 8p and later? pirate night, fireworks, etc. A 4 yr old who is used to being in bed by 8p and has gone full speed all day (you try slowing him down on a disney cruise), is not going to make it to those event.
Bahamas sunset in July is around 8pm. You have to allow time for it to get really dark before doing fireworks, which are part of the Pirate Night party.

Adult Area - Loved it, except why do they pump music through the entire space constantly? If it isn't their pseudo, new age musak, it was a live performer at the bear. Who was just fine and talented, but why does his sound need to be pumped through the speakers around the adult area.
That is awful. I agree that it goes against the way adult areas should be: quiet and peaceful.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter