July 6, 2010 - 7/6/2010 ~ Pounds to Rubles ~ Mickey invades the Baltic Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lisa (njmom)!!! I was confused for a minute about which Meet thread I was reading - the Baltic or Christmas! Glad to see you all considering the Baltic as well - can't wait to meet you in a few weeks.

As for category, we're going not only for a Cat. 6, but specifically cabin 6116 (so no one else ask for that one, ok?) We have done three DCL's - the first was a Cat 4 which was fabulous but we did a Cat. 6 for the Med and found it to be plenty of space for the four of us and 10-nights worth of stuff. We had 6116 then, and also again on the Wonder in April and will sail it in on the Magic in December :)

We enjoy having the verandah, and DH sits out there a lot while I'm usually off roaming the ship. I like having it particularly in the early morning when we are arriving in port and the boys are still sleeping -- I will creep out and take those early a.m. pictures, then get dressed and go have breakfast before waking them up. And DH really enjoys being out in the air and not having a bajillion people around. He does a lot of reading on the verandah, and he and the boys consume a lot of ice cream out there, too :)

So we're all excited about Tuesday!!!!

Carol - thanks for the DVC info. How much of a DVC Cash Discount is generally offered (%-wise, roughly)? Just thinking for future trip planning since it would have to be all paid up-front. I'm not prepared to do that for the Baltic -- in fact, we were at WDW this weekend for the Race for the Taste - and we were frugal with our money, with each time we didn't spend something recognizing that was a deposit in our Baltic account!

Which deck did you have with the cat 8? If I pick that category I can pay for myself my husband and my (then) 14 year old daughter using points. I'd only need to pay cash for the 12 year old. Hmmm.. I wish I could decide if a balcony was worth it...

Joanne

We have always been on deck 7...we have even been in the same room more than once! always forward too....
I would love to have a balcony again but would be by myself! sometimes that sounds ok....:rotfl: no not really.....

The DVC Cash price is negotiated each year between DVC and DCL. It is somewhere in the middle, not the lowest tier pricing but not the highest either.

I was distressed today to hear from MS that they received an email stating that members booking on points cannot reserve a particular stateroom. Even booking on Tuesday, we can only make a "guarantee" status reservation. That really bums me out as I like to choose our room early on if possible. Oh well, at least we will be on the ship somewhere....

The DVC Cash price is negotiated each year between DVC and DCL. It is somewhere in the middle, not the lowest tier pricing but not the highest either.

I was distressed today to hear from MS that they received an email stating that members booking on points cannot reserve a particular stateroom. Even booking on Tuesday, we can only make a "guarantee" status reservation. That really bums me out as I like to choose our room early on if possible. Oh well, at least we will be on the ship somewhere....

Carol - will they note your request for a specific stateroom, like they note preferences when reserving at the resorts? Like fwd or aft, starboard or port?

But for making your guarantee status, you are doing GTY for the category you want, right? So you know you'll at least get the Cat. you want / need for your traveling party. Gosh, I'll be so glad when Tuesday has come and gone and we've all been able to at least know we have a place on the ship for this sailing! Then I'll recover from the price-shock and get busy with the rest of the math.... we know it is doable from our best-estimation; it will be nicer to know what our final target price is so I can plug those numbers in more firmly into our monthly budget.

Cindy, I actually ran into this when booking the Med Cruise. We booked in Nov 06 for the July sailing and I was not surprised when we received the Gty status. Yes, it is for the category that we choose. The only request they would take from me was to have our two rooms near each other.

As it turned out, we were placed aft but our cat 6 had the solid verandah wall, not the plexiglass bottom. And the girls were no where near us. I called and pled my case since I was very uncomfortable at the time that the girls were not near us. They were able to accomodate and have them across the hall which was nice.

Not sure if any "request" can be made this time around, will find out on Tuesday. I have written to DVC to see if this can be reconsidered. I doubt it, but thought I would make my feelings known. I agree, I will be glad when the bookings are completed and I can take a deep breath, lol. Stressful couple of days ahead but then all should be fine....

Cindy, I actually ran into this when booking the Med Cruise. We booked in Nov 06 for the July sailing and I was not surprised when we received the Gty status. Yes, it is for the category that we choose. The only request they would take from me was to have our two rooms near each other.

As it turned out, we were placed aft but our cat 6 had the solid verandah wall, not the plexiglass bottom. And the girls were no where near us. I called and pled my case since I was very uncomfortable at the time that the girls were not near us. They were able to accomodate and have them across the hall which was nice.

Not sure if any "request" can be made this time around, will find out on Tuesday. I have written to DVC to see if this can be reconsidered. I doubt it, but thought I would make my feelings known. I agree, I will be glad when the bookings are completed and I can take a deep breath, lol. Stressful couple of days ahead but then all should be fine....

Good Morning NZdisneymum and Carol

First of all

I am sad for not having Balcony for Baltic, but I know I cannot have everything. Too expensive for 4 of us:sad2: Last Cruise was fantastic to had the balcony and we want to have it again in future but not this one.

Second

Carol

When we were booking at Panama Canal as we booked late in May 07 through to someone had been cancelling it so we got it.

They gave us GTY then I changed to Cat 6 with Balcony for my husband surprise 40th birthday.

They gave us GTY again. When near the times, I contacted DU and asked for plexiglass because we like to see through as part for our disability.

Because I remember that at the Med Cruise that Andrea showed me her balcony room was solid white wall and She felt that it was expensive and she cannot see when she sat down , have to stand up.

Maybe you should contact DU if you get GTY rooms, email to DU and ask for plexiglass as you pay a lot of money and you have right to ask for it.

But hope we get the room number tomorrow as I don't think it will be fast selling but maybe I am wrong? (I hope I get the room nos too).

Scottishwee35

Last Cruise one lady showed us the disability room, oh it was beautiful and huge with balcony too.

Wish to book that room ::yes::

Scottishwee35

I was just thinking that my children's passports expire in November 2010. I guess that means we'll have to renew them before we travel to the Baltic - isn't there a travel rule about if your passport is expiring within six months of travel??? Gotta stick that in my mind so I don't forget to take care of it next year.

Twenty-four hours and a few minutes til booking!!!!!!!!!

I was just thinking that my children's passports expire in November 2010. I guess that means we'll have to renew them before we travel to the Baltic - isn't there a travel rule about if your passport is expiring within six months of travel??? Gotta stick that in my mind so I don't forget to take care of it next year.

My daughter's passport is expiring next year, too. The 6th month rule is true. I wish it was more than 5 years. It goes by too quick!

24 hours...I know. It's making me loopy. Still can't decide a category, especially now that we are just GTY using points. My head hurts..:headache: LOL

Joanne

From UK to USA - passports need 6 months clear.

My husband and Keith's passport finish next year!!

Contact your local passport and find out.

Ohhhhh 24 hours now.

Scottishwee35:surfweb:

I just checked the Passport info online and found:

If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.

So I am adding passport renewal to my calendar to give me time to get it done for the boys. Although I think I'll do it in January 2010 because we're taking a RCCL cruise in December 2009 and they'll need their passports then.

Thank goodness for electronic calendars that go on for years and years. Do you think I'll jinx myself if I put the cruise dates on for 2010?

Thanks for bringing up passports....need to check ours out too. Our daughters expires different from ours but I think because she is 18 now it will last longer...have to get her girlfriend moving on hers too.....
Don't know how I will make it through today................:confused3

I just realized I haven't properly introduced myself. I'm Cindy D., wife to Gary, mom to Nathan and Zachary (the n and z that make me a DisneyMom). We live in north Florida and love all things Disney. The boys will be (just turned) 14 and (still) 12 (and saving me $100 by not having a birthday til after this cruise).[/QUOTE]

Cindy-

It's funny, but I have 2 girls the same age as your boys- sara will be 14 and amanda will be 12 (turning 13 on the ship). 100 saved..I'll take it!

Joanne

Hello everyone !!:grouphug:

We're hoping to get on this cruise as well. :cool1: As 8:00am EST is 1:00pm here I will be leaving work at mid-day to come home and make our calls. We're aiming for a Cat 6 or 8.

David

Hello everyone !!:grouphug:

We're hoping to get on this cruise as well. :cool1: As 8:00am EST is 1:00pm here I will be leaving work at mid-day to come home and make our calls. We're aiming for a Cat 6 or 8.

David

Hello David

Welcome, we are from Scotland.

I see that your location is based in England, but is that Welsh's Flag?.

Scottishwee35

I just heard another bit of advice for those people booking through MS (DVC) tomorrow. They will need passport info at time of booking. The agent said most people don't realize that. (I know I didn't!)..

Joanne

I just called on Sat and they said you didn't...we have ours but my DD friend doesn't yet...would she be DD BFF???:lmao:

Hello David

Welcome, we are from Scotland.

I see that your location is based in England, but is that Welsh's Flag?.

Scottishwee35

Hello to my Celtic cousins!

Welsh through and through but moved to Norfolk 10 years ago as the self-appointed cultural ambassador to England.

These Sassanachs could do with a bit of culture:rotfl:

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter