Jennifer’s Journey to lose 200 pounds (comments welcomed and appreciated)

dabute

DIS Veteran
Let me start off by introducing myself. My name is Jennifer. I’m from the Chicago suburbs. I’ve lived here my entire life. Which is 29 years. Turning the big 30 this year.:scared1:

I’ve been married for almost nine years to a man I’ve been with for 13 years. He was my high school sweet heart. :love: He is my best friend and my biggest supporter. :love:

I’ve been overweight my whole life. Subsequently I’ve spent most of my life trying to lose weight. I wanted to write this journal to have people to share in my successes and failures too.:goodvibes

I’m currently at 327 pounds. I started at 339 in January. I’m currently down 12 pounds. Which is not the best I can do, but I’m happy with it anyhow.

I’m ready to go full steam ahead. I’ve been exercising consistently since January. I’m now up to 45 minutes on the treadmill. I think that’s pretty good for someone in the 300’s.

My struggles for the last couple months have come from the food part of my plan. I was always hungry and then eating too much. I’ve found that by adding more protein I’m not as hungry. This helps me stay in my calorie range for the day.:thumbsup2

My current plan is to eat about 1700 calories a day 6 days a week. I try to get 30% of my calories from fat, 40% from carbs and 30% from protein. I really struggle with the protein because I only eat chicken and turkey. And I don’t eat them often. I use fitday to keep track of everything for me.

On the 7th day I have a free day. I try not to go to overboard, but this day helps me not feel deprived of anything.:)

I exercise 4-6 times a week. Right now I’m only doing cardio, but I will be adding strength training in the next couple of months.

Trying to lose 200 pounds is too overwhelming and I really can’t comprehend losing a person. :scared1: I’ve decided to break it down in to smaller goals. My first goal is to lose 60 pounds. I’ve already lost 12. I am aiming to lose this by the end of September. Right now that would be 1.9 per week. I’m going to try my hardest so reach this goal. My husband and I are going on a cruise:beach: for our 9-year wedding anniversary and I want to look as good as possible. princess:

I will try to post often on my current situation. Saturday is my weigh in day. Wish me luck.:hug:

Just to sayhi and wanted to wishevery succsess and good luck with your WI on saturday:goodvibes

Thanks, I had a really good week, so here's hoping:thumbsup2 My husband just got back from a business trip and wants to go out to dinner. I told him I can't because tomorrow is weigh in day and I've had a perfect food week. I've also met my exercise goals. :)

Well, I had my weigh in today. I always do this on Saturday morning. I have not been losing the past couple of weeks, but have been exercising and eating fairly well. I was only hoping for a two-pound loss. I need to maintain a 1.9-point loss every week to meet my 60-pound goal by September.:hourglass

I approached my scale with trepidation this gray Saturday morning. We have not been getting along in a couple of weeks.:mad:I jumped on and looked down and could not believe my eyes. 323.2!! That is a 4-pound loss!! I have not been at this weight in a year. I was very proud of myself. Hard work really does pay off. This also means I need to maintain a 1.75 loss every week to make my goal. This takes a little pressure off.

I've lost 16 of the 60 pounds I want to lose by September. I've reached 26% of my goal:banana: I also got to change my clippie to the fifteen one. :thumbsup2

I rediscovered vegetables this week. I really love tomatoes. I have been eating salad every day for nearly a week. I really get a kick out of enjoying food that is good for you.

I’m feeling confidant this week I can make my 1.75 weight loss goal and exercise at least 5 times.

Well, I’m off to go exercise…….:yay:

Congrats on the great weight loss so far...keep up the great work...I turn 30:scared1: next week. I'm thinking of my thirties as my new beginning...sounds like you got the same idea!

Oh, exercise. I’ve never done drugs, but I can’t imagine they can make you feel as good as exercise does.:)

I have a love hate relationship with exercise. I hate going, but once I’ve started I love it. Every time. It never fails. I’m in love with exercise. :love: There is nothing in life that has ever made me feel as powerful or in control of my life. :woohoo:

One thing that helps me stay motivated is music. I love a good rock song as I’m sweating away. :yay: If anyone has any recommendations I’d appreciate it. I’m always looking for more songs.

My current work out regimen consists of walking on the treadmill. :tiptoe:I warm up for 10 minutes, gradually raising my heart rate. I then walk at my target heart rate for 30 minutes and finally a cool down for 5 minutes. I’m currently able to walk at 3.2 for 30 minutes. I started at 2.5 for 15 in January. I’m happy with my progress.I’m going to be adding swimming to my work out next week. My gym has a great pool.

Congrats on the great weight loss so far...keep up the great work...I turn 30:scared1: next week. I'm thinking of my thirties as my new beginning...sounds like you got the same idea!

:wave: Thanks. Yes, I'm thinking of it as my time to finally having control of my weight. This will be the first time of my life.

Oh, and :bday:

Hi there and Welcome to WISH!!!!!

Congrats on the loss...that is great. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
You have a great attitude and that is wonderful.
I am the same way as you...I only eat chicken and turkey and when I do I don't eat them very often. You are one step better than me, eating veggies...I can't stand veggies!!!!

You are doing a great job...keep up the great work

Have a wonderful day :)

You are one step better than me, eating veggies...I can't stand veggies!!!!

I never liked veggies before, but I found if I mix them with the right ingredients they are delicious. I can't think of anything that is better for your body than raw vegetables. I just bought spinach to add to my salads this week. Yum :)

Thanks for the warm welcome. :goodvibes

Congratulations on the weight loss, your doing great:thumbsup2 :woohoo:

Hello Jennifer!

You certainly sound like you have a great plan in the works. Of course, journalling on the DIS will be great for support. Being accountable always makes those commitments easier to fulfill.

The 6 day diet sounds cool. And yes, 45 minutes is great! Slow and steady helps to keep the body from going crazy.

Also, wonderful that you are working without drugs. A friend of mine was told to lose 200 pounds, and the dr put him on Beia (spelling). He was very sick and has lost over 100 in 9 months. The first 50 was in about 3 months. He still has some bad eating habits because he isn't relying on diet and excercise. I always keep him in my thoughts.

The best to you!

Great job!

Wendy

Hello Jennifer!

You certainly sound like you have a great plan in the works. Of course, journalling on the DIS will be great for support. Being accountable always makes those commitments easier to fulfill.

The 6 day diet sounds cool. And yes, 45 minutes is great! Slow and steady helps to keep the body from going crazy.

Also, wonderful that you are working without drugs. A friend of mine was told to lose 200 pounds, and the dr put him on Beia (spelling). He was very sick and has lost over 100 in 9 months. The first 50 was in about 3 months. He still has some bad eating habits because he isn't relying on diet and excercise. I always keep him in my thoughts.
Wendy

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

I did begin journaling for accountably. It makes certain food less tempting when you know your going to post your weekly weigh in on line.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I have always felt that a lifestyle change has to be made instead of a diet. It has to be a permanent part of your life. My personal trainer told me maintenance is also a lifetime commitment.

The 6 day on and one day off is great for me. Anything I crave during the week I can eat on Saturday. I lost 50 pounds using this plan a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, I gave up on living healthy and gained it all back. :sad2: I wanted to be “normal” like everyone else. I now know that eating anything you want is not living normally. I also know that I’m one of those people that will have to watch what they eat for life. I’m okay with that. I want to do everything I can to improve the quality of my life. I love my life and want to live it as long as I can. I’m lucky that I don’t have any health problems due to my weight. However, I don’t want to stay at this weight to find out if any are going to develop.

Well, I had a great day yesterday. My calories were right on track. I also had 6 servings of veggies.

Exercise was a little rough. I was able to do 3.3 for 30 minutes. This is my fastest to date. I walked 2.31 miles in 45 minutes. 10 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down are included in the 45 minutes. I did well, but my poor shins are not happy. Whenever I increase my speed my legs are usually sore for a few workouts until they adjust. A couple of weeks ago 3.0 killed my legs, now it’s part of my warm up. I know it will pass, but it’s hard to walk when your legs are sore. I’m taking today off of exercise and hopefully will be able to do 3.3 tomorrow. :yay:

Hi Jennifer...

You are doing so good!!! 6 servings of veggies :worship: way to go!!!!!

I have tried different veggies and well they just aren't for me...too bad though. I know I really need them!!!!

Keep up the good work!!

Have a great day :)

Today was a good day.:)

Joining challenges for weight loss and exercise really helps with motivation. I committed to exercise 1000 minutes and lose 8 pounds for April. I’ve already done 100 minutes of exercise in the last two days. I may have set my goal to low. I have been doing 900 minutes a month for the last three. I thought this would be a challenge. Now I’m not so sure.

I was originally not going to exercise today, but decided to go ahead and exercise. My legs were still sore, but I found if I walked slower I was pain free. I did 2.8 for 55 minutes. I didn’t think it would be much of a workout going that slow,:tiptoe:but it turned out I was wrong. I was able to maintain my target heart rate, but on the low end instead of the high end like I usually do. I still was all sweaty like a normal workout. I think I may change my workout to a little slower pace and increase my time.

My calories were on track today.

I'm feeling good about reaching my goal to lose 1.75 this week.:goodvibes

Hi there,

I agree, signing up for challenges is a great motivator....

You are doing a great job!!! Keep it up!!!

Have a great day :)

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

I want to do everything I can to improve the quality of my life. I love my life and want to live it as long as I can. I’m lucky that I don’t have any health problems due to my weight. However, I don’t want to stay at this weight to find out if any are going to develop.

Jennifer, I agree! I am improving my life quality and longevity. That is very important to me. After 15 months, I still miss things. I have fallen off the wagon a few times, but I still work at being the healthiest I can.

Great job so far, and we can complete the April exercise challenge 'together'!

Wendy

Welcome to WISH(and the exercise challenge), Jennifer!

You're doing AWESOME!

I'm very impressed with your veggie consumption. I don't eat nearly enough & fruit is almost non-existant!

Have a great rest of the week!

I had a great workout today. I walked 2.65 miles. That’s my farthest to date. I was able to go 3.0, a little faster than yesterday. I’m going to stay at 55 minutes for a while. My ultimate goal is to go for 1 hour and 15 minutes. 60 minutes at my target heart rate. My shins didn’t hurt today either. I think I may have been pushing myself to hard.

:thanks:I want to thank everyone for posting and reading my journal. It’s means a lot to me to have supporters out there.
Great job so far, and we can complete the April exercise challenge 'together'!
I do feel like everyone here on the WISH board is a team striving for the same goal: to live the healthiest life possible.:disrocks:

You're doing AWESOME!!
:thanks:
I'm very impressed with your veggie consumption. I don't eat nearly enough & fruit is almost non-existant!!!
I may have spoken to soon about my love of veggies. I think I ate to many to soon. I’ve never been a big fan before last week. I was just eating them like crazy. :crazy: Now I need a break. Well, it was good while it lasted.:laughing:

I do like fruit. I try to eat a piece of fruit a day.
Have a great rest of the week!
I hope you also have a great week.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter