January 2022 Trip Reports

Well it sure was nice finally meeting Bama Ed & Snowmedic today on departure day. It made a hard day a little less hard. Hope your trips are filled with adventure & happinesses!

Jim - I appreciate all the visits and I hope your second half of the trip is as eventful as the first half. Make sure to take time to explore the fort some :)

Boomer - We circled your loop several times, but each time it appeared you guys were out and about. Maybe next year. Enjoy your extended trip!

We are north bound and will continue with the wing-it approach. We want to stick our feet in the sand for a day along the gulf side. Shell Point St. Mark’s National Wildlife refugee looks nice. They have some open spots along a canal and there’s a lighthouse too. A couple more hours on the road and we will settle in for the night and explore tomorrow.

Well it sure was nice finally meeting Bama Ed & Snowmedic today on departure day. It made a hard day a little less hard. Hope your trips are filled with adventure & happinesses!

Jim - I appreciate all the visits and I hope your second half of the trip is as eventful as the first half. Make sure to take time to explore the fort some :)

Boomer - We circled your loop several times, but each time it appeared you guys were out and about. Maybe next year. Enjoy your extended trip!

We are north bound and will continue with the wing-it approach. We want to stick our feet in the sand for a day along the gulf side. Shell Point St. Mark’s National Wildlife refugee looks nice. They have some open spots along a canal and there’s a lighthouse too. A couple more hours on the road and we will settle in for the night and explore tomorrow.
Sorry we missed you. I walked by your site a few times with Briar and you were out. You sure had a nice site. The view of the canal was spectacular.

Had a nice visit with Melissa and her family this morning. Lil medic got a chance to talk with Grace and even do a pin trading with her. Wish we had gotten here sooner so they could of hung out together some more but there is always next year and she has Grace’s address for a pen pal. Have a safe trip back home.

Today was camp breakfast burritos then over to Cocoa for Ron Jon’s and walking along the beach picking up shells.
Back at camp now having BBQ hotdogs and enjoying the cool evening. Walked pass Ed’s site but he is out and about, will try and catch up with him tomorrow.

What a BUSY day! Arrival day is always like that it seems - but full of fun and surprises.

We rolled into the Fort about 615am and were the first guests of the morning to arrive. The one CM working had to log into her terminal before she could take care of us. Requested 1511 (my favorite Tent site) and it would become available that morning after the current guest checked out. There were no empty sites in 1500 and only one "ready" site in 2000 which I passed on. So we went to P&J's for some breakfast.

I was so hungry I had eaten my croissant and tots before I remembered to take a picture.

Then we sat on the TE porch and made a "Kickin' It" picture:

A boat was loading down at the dock at 730am which was good intel.

There was a sign in the grass in front of the porch regarding the food trucks:

Close-up of the picture:

After soaking up some rising sun on the TE porch:

I moseyed over to find @ilovedisneymm since they were leaving this morning. Had a nice talk with them. As with some of our posters that I've met, I've seen their kids grow up - and Up - and UP. Same thing this morning. But I got out of their hair and went by @Teamubr's spot but he was already at the parks and then by 1511 to see if my folks had started packing yet (it was 10am by now). Nope. :sad2:

So we took off to Disney Springs to spend our time seriously shopping. Even I found something I could not resist - a retro/50th metal lunch box and thermos.

I may be retired but I can still have use of a good lunch box sometimes. But the back side of it is why I got it.

DS was not too crowded then but around noon we got the text our site was ready. Back we went and rolled into 1500 loop. 1511 is not a big site in terms of paved length or gravel site so I had to try to tuck well into the back corner to give us the most "living" space. I angled around the water post:

the utility post:

and the back timber.

I'll tell you why I wanted this site next.

Bama Ed

This is my 5th time to camp in this loop and after the first time, I've always requested 1511 in a reservation note and again in person when checking in - but never got it until today. What I like about it is the space.

Out my front door (the front yard) is a lot of open space because of a gate for RoW access to the canal behind us (it's waterfront property).

Don't have to look at the back of someone else's trailer.

Then there is alot of space behind the site (the back yard) towards the canal. Some shaded but some sunny.

I told @Teamubr there was plenty of space for Wednesday's lunch and I would be happy to host.

Did a mosey over to the Meadow Trading Post then to dinner at Terralina at DS. Was not great IMO but I'll write about that later. Need to wrap up, turn in, and get ready for MK tomorrow.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
It sounds like plans for Wednesday's get together are falling in place. After seeing Ed's fabulous site (much roomier than mine), we will meet and eat at site 1511 at 1pm. It looks like the head count is at 11. Anyone else that is here on Wedesday is welcome even if you haven't chimed in yet.

I'll have hamburgers and hotdogs right off the grill and it sounds like we have plates/silverware, some sides and desert covered. Bring a chair. Unless Ed's car is one of those clown cars that just keeps spitting out chairs, I don't think we have enough for everyone.

See you Wednesday! :wave2:

j

I'm late to the party but enjoying all the posts! We are finally heading back to the fort in March for a re-do of our aborted 2020 trip for DD's bday. Keep up the pics!!

O.K. need some advise from my Fort peeps on who may know some good driving routes ........ We have a problem Capt. !
We are due to leave on Saturday Morning on route to FW , coming from Central PA .
As luck would have it , another winter snow/ice storm is supposed wreak havock for the second weekend in a row along the the east coast I95 and inland a bit . VA, NC, SC and northeastern Georgia . Our normal route is 81-77-26-95-417 . This route looks like it will get hit pretty hard ......... Friday evening into Saturday . YEP , we have one day of travel, and this is it ! Most of the weather looks to be predicted for northeastern VA, NC, SC , maybe some northeastern Georgia .

Has anyone taken the 81-75/40-75 route down to FLA ? Goes right through Knoxville ,Chattanooga , Macon , but my main concern is Atlanta ! How is this stretch towing an RV ? This route will add about 2+ hours to our route, but looks like it will push us out of the snow and ice track . It will kind of keep us west through VA, and completely detour NC and SC .

I think if we exit 75 onto 27 then to 192 , it will have us passing by Lake Louisa as we get close to FW . Any tips @bama_ed ?

Any advise anyone ? It will very much be a touch and go situation , and will be watching the weather channel like a hawk this week !

Last edited:
@Syndrome atlanta is ugly. What time and day do you think you will hit it. bert says in atlanta get in the second to the left lane and ride it.

once you get down to florida though you want to go 75 to the turnpike then 429, it’s toll and toll by plate but the fastest way to WDW.

@Syndrome atlanta is ugly. What time and day do you think you will hit it. bert says in atlanta get in the second to the left lane and ride it.

once you get down to florida though you want to go 75 to the turnpike then 429, it’s toll and toll by plate but the fastest way to WDW.
Yea, I was afraid Atlanta would be the issue . Will prob be going through about 10am-12 on a Sunday morning .
Depending on the weather , we will either be rolling through Charlotte , or Atlanta .
Cant remember when we last drove through Charlotte that we did not sit in traffic .

Last edited:
As luck would have it , another winter snow/ice storm is supposed wreak havock for the second weekend in a row along the the east coast I95 and inland a bit .
Glad you mentioned that. I haven’t check the weather yet for going back home, 95 up through to NY then 87 up to the Canadian border. Looks like I will be leaving here and heading to Montgomery then north to Cleveland then cutting across the western part of NY then the top to get back to Vermont.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter