January 2009 PI Applicants

The pay varies GREATLY for each position. And there's a range for each position as well since some people don't have much experience with what they're doing (lower-end of pay), and other's have a lot of experience with what they're doing (higher-end of pay).

There's also regular increases with inflation, decreases with budget cuts, and the addition and loss of positions that determines things.

I've seen some positions that pay more than the entry level wage for that position if it was FT. I've also seen some positions that pay less than industry standard, but the entry level FT paid just fine.

It really is a hat toss.

I'm looking to do a PI in Operations Planning or anything in the Industrial Engineering field in either Fall 09 or Spring 10. Are the positions like these mostly 9-5 jobs? It seems like it but it would be great to be reassured on this. I plan on continuing to take classes up here at UCF and would need to plan around that.

Also they do not offer housing to PI's correct? My friends and I plan on renting out a house for our junior and senior years so it would be great if I could live there and just drive down.

The pay varies GREATLY for each position. And there's a range for each position as well since some people don't have much experience with what they're doing (lower-end of pay), and other's have a lot of experience with what they're doing (higher-end of pay).

There's also regular increases with inflation, decreases with budget cuts, and the addition and loss of positions that determines things.

I've seen some positions that pay more than the entry level wage for that position if it was FT. I've also seen some positions that pay less than industry standard, but the entry level FT paid just fine.

It really is a hat toss.

I already know all of that. I am just trying to get an idea of some of the positions' pay in particular to see how wide of a range there is and to get an idea of how much the positions I applied for would be. I have heard the range you can expect. I am trying to get more specifics.

I already know all of that. I am just trying to get an idea of some of the positions' pay in particular to see how wide of a range there is and to get an idea of how much the positions I applied for would be. I have heard the range you can expect. I am trying to get more specifics.

For some reason, I thought it was a no-no for PIs to discuss wages? I think I read somewhere that it's in the contract?

Alright then, nevermind lol. I guess that would bring about some bitterness between interns in the same position. That was probably wrong of me to ask that and I apologize.

It's not appropriate to discuss wages in any work environment. They gave me a range and all I can do is hope for the high end of it. If offered this wonderful opportunity you just make it work.

For some reason, I thought it was a no-no for PIs to discuss wages? I think I read somewhere that it's in the contract?

Amongst other current PIs, definitely.

I know what the wage range is for the positions I applied for from a previous PI who isn't one anymore, but that info is already irrelevant because of inflation/economic downturn, etc.

At the same time, where you end up on that range is a matter of field experience, previous training, and company experience. However, I wouldn't put it past some departments to pay everyone the same despite all of this.

Last year I had exactly 24 hours to accept or decline.
And I share your worries...I am supposed to hear back this week from one department, but I haven't even had a second interview with another department that I am equally interested in!

they seriously only give you 24 hours to decide? i have never heard of any company doing that! that is unbelievably poor business practice on their part. has anyone ever heard of someone getting more than 24 hours to decide?

if this is true i will probably have to just turn them down, which i really don't want to do but i have other positions that i am waiting to hear back on and don't want to take this one just because they are putting pressure on me. this is not cool :(

Seriously, you really need that much time. When you have been waiting so long to get an offer?

It will take me a matter of seconds.

they seriously only give you 24 hours to decide? i have never heard of any company doing that! that is unbelievably poor business practice on their part. has anyone ever heard of someone getting more than 24 hours to decide?

if this is true i will probably have to just turn them down, which i really don't want to do but i have other positions that i am waiting to hear back on and don't want to take this one just because they are putting pressure on me. this is not cool :(

If you're refering to other PI positions, you can accept your first offer, and then if you get accepted for another, decline the first and accept the 2nd.

If you're talking about other internships with other companies, then you're going to have to decide what means more to you.

I'm currently preparing to be an RA on-campus, and set up 2 separate study abroad semesters for next year. This includes meeting with counselors, paperwork, passports, etc ALL with the knowledge that I could get a call in the next 2-3 weeks offering me a PI.

And as I knew when I started this whole process, no matter what else comes up, I'm going to take the PI....

...unless it's the lottery because that's another story.:laughing:

So i'm guessing it's safe to say that for now we are all sort of "safe" since no one at all is getting any sort of calls...

I was told that I would hear within two weeks of the interview... as did others but that is not the case. I'm guessing they are really waiting until Nov. 28th. BAH HUMBUG!:sad2:

So i'm guessing it's safe to say that for now we are all sort of "safe" since no one at all is getting any sort of calls...

I was told that I would hear within two weeks of the interview... as did others but that is not the case. I'm guessing they are really waiting until Nov. 28th. BAH HUMBUG!:sad2:

Yes, but that was before the fiscal year/budget thing happened. I don't think they WANT to wait, but they are probably scrambling to see where the money falls so they know exactly how many they can hire, IF they can hire. I will say the first 2 weeks were worse and now I can at least concentrate on writing papers some! :surfweb:

I'm interested in applying for a PI for fall 09. However, I've been accepted for Spring Advantage CP 09 which runs to August, so here's my question.

would I be best to try to extend my Spring program to January and apply for the spring '10 PI since I couldn't just quit my CP in June to do the PI?

I hope that makes sense:)

I'm interested in applying for a PI for fall 09. However, I've been accepted for Spring Advantage CP 09 which runs to August, so here's my question.

would I be best to try to extend my Spring program to January and apply for the spring '10 PI since I couldn't just quit my CP in June to do the PI?

I hope that makes sense:)

Well you cannot do a Fall PI since you are doing spring advantage because 95% of PIs start in June. Unless you get a 3 month one that starts in Sept.

do NOT extend your program in hopes for a spring 10 PI. You can only be statused as an intern for a year. So if you just do the CP for Spring '09 then you can either do a Fall 09 PI or take Fall 09 off and do a Spring '10 PI.

Has anyone actually called casting to see what is going on? I wonder if they'd have any info...

Yes, but that was before the fiscal year/budget thing happened. I don't think they WANT to wait, but they are probably scrambling to see where the money falls so they know exactly how many they can hire, IF they can hire. I will say the first 2 weeks were worse and now I can at least concentrate on writing papers some! :surfweb:

It's possible that they might take MORE interns, as one other person suggested, because we're cheaper than the FT/PT labor as they have benefits, etc.

I know it's already been stated that a lot of middle managers have been cut as well.

I just wish they would've waited on all the cuts until after the holiday season as it's going to make things insane for cast members currently there to deal with the busiest time of year with less staff.

It's possible that they might take MORE interns, as one other person suggested, because we're cheaper than the FT/PT labor as they have benefits, etc.

I know it's already been stated that a lot of middle managers have been cut as well.

I just wish they would've waited on all the cuts until after the holiday season as it's going to make things insane for cast members currently there to deal with the busiest time of year with less staff.

That's a good news/bad news scenario. If they can hire more interns and let managers go, then when it's OUR turn to be managers, we could be the ones facing the carving knife. :(

That's a good news/bad news scenario. If they can hire more interns and let managers go, then when it's OUR turn to be managers, we could be the ones facing the carving knife. :(

Well, the joke there would be that there just wouldn't be any full-time positions for us to move into. But yes, when things get tough, Disney consistently cuts it's mid-level managers.

I just got offered the Biotechnology PI at Epcot today!! Has anyone out there heard anything back yet? I was just wondering if the other science positions have been filled yet?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter