JAMBO! The UN-official AKL Thread ~ UPDATED(short film/pg 8 & slideshow/pg 12)

Status
Not open for further replies.
stephwynn said:
I am so darn excited...we leave tonight!!Our flight is at midnight.... :cool1:

NO MORE SLEEPS...at least none at home! :Pinkbounc

I have one last thing to do and hoping somebody can answer quickly...I want to order some groceries, water etc, and BEER....I see garden grocer doesn't do alcohol...so does anybody have a better idea?

Thanks!

Steph- Have a wonderful trip. I hope you have a dome for all of us stuck at home! I belive with garden grocer you can ask for beer or other alchohol in the more comments section.

Here is a link to a thread where I saw that Anyone used garden grocer

AKLGoofy said:
I'll get something posted for all you nice folks as soon as possible after we get back. Keep your fingers crossed for no hurricanes!

Bob

My fingers are crossed for no hurricanes.

I thought I would post a few more pics:

The neat mosaic when you pull up to AKL
PA080347-1.jpg

Victoria's Fall Lounge
PA080339-1.jpg

Arusha Savannah
PA070070.jpg

Uzima Savannah
P9290084.jpg

Uzima Savannah
PA060351.jpg

I can't get enough of the nice dry pic's of the Savannah, we are having a monsoon season here, so thanks to all of you who are posting. :thumbsup2

Stephwynne: I am so excited for you! Have a wonderful trip. :wizard:

Bob: What a nice way to begin an excursion. Susan looks thrilled by the beginning of your journey, (love the ears). I cannot wait for your next "installment" because I love love stories :cloud9:. Thanks for keeping us part of your trip!

Kimmar: I live for :offtopic:

i<disney70: I'm sorry that you had an unpleasant experience, but perhaps the CM was just trying to make light of an unfortunate incident. My experience with the CM's at the AKL was positive in that all genuinely tried to please us. None were rude. As a QA analyst I would have coached him so that if here was a complaint that was embarrassing to the resort, he could have responded in a more appropriate manner. Termination is a harsh reaction to a verbal misstep.

shyjade said:
So it's been a LONG two weeks for me. Thanks to your posts I can "escape" the reality of sickness & death for a few minutes each day and plan for my now very well deserved vacation in September with my DD.

I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you have a lot more than 2 weeks of pain. :hug:

Trip planning can be a positive escape from the reality that you deal with daily, and I hope that you fine a reprieve (sp)here. Looking forward to hearing your plans for September.

Thank you all for your warm wishes. Now I know why I've already felt like part of the group even though I was mostly reading your posts and not joining in.

This will be our first stay onsite, and first time "dining" at Disney (other than the character breakfast we went to at CP several years ago). My DD and I last went to Disney when she was 3 (she's now 8) so this will be quite exciting for both of us, as she only remembers little bits and pieces of our last trip (thanks to all the photos). She keeps teasing me that I'm more excited than she is because each day I come home with more info, tips, etc. I found on this site! She thinks we're staying at the All Star Movies and has no idea that I secretly upgraded to AKL. Hopefully I can continue to keep the secret until we arrive! Zebras are her absolute favorite animal so I know she will be thrilled with the resort. Unfortunately I cannot afford a savannah room, but thanks to this thread I realize we can still see lots of great animals around the resort. I'm crossing my fingers for an upgrade (we are in a standard, as there were no pool view rooms available when I booked it). If not, we'll still be happy just to be at the AKL!

I'm counting the days until I can eat my first Zebra Dome and enjoy my first beverage at Victoria Falls. ;)

:cool1: I finshed reading the thread!! :cool1:

You guys are the best...I had my doubts (budget speaking) about AKL but you made me think (a little harder) ways of saving money like selling stuffs on ebay. And I think I can afford a room on AKL. Now the big desision is....Should we (DB and me) go the extra mile and reserve a savannah view or a pool view just be fine?

What do you think? :confused3

I am surpising my boys as well, it is so hard not telling them. I almost spilled the beans a few nights ago :teeth: You will both have so much fun & your dd will be in heaven! I also booked a standard room as I cannot afford the savanna view. But I am so excited about being able to stay here :banana: Are you going to be eating at Boma during your stay?

shyjade said:
Thank you all for your warm wishes. Now I know why I've already felt like part of the group even though I was mostly reading your posts and not joining in.

silverangel879 said:
:cool1: I finshed reading the thread!! :cool1:

You guys are the best...I had my doubts (budget speaking) about AKL but you made me think (a little harder) ways of saving money like selling stuffs on ebay. And I think I can afford a room on AKL. Now the big desision is....Should we (DB and me) go the extra mile and reserve a savannah view or a pool view just be fine?

What do you think? :confused3

....First of all,buenvenidos, boricua! :teeth: I think a pool view would do very nicely. Since you are on a tight budget, spend your $$ splurging on other things - like at the Zawadi Marketplace :rolleyes:. If you DO choose the pool view, who knows :confused3 , you MAY be upgraded! You are going to LOVE AKL.....

tinknme said:
I am surpising my boys as well, it is so hard not telling them. I almost spilled the beans a few nights ago :teeth:....

...I think you need THIS:

duct-tape.jpg

see below:

DuctTapeDiet.jpg

..... :lmao:

And here's something 'of interest':

~Daily Activity Schedule~

Poolside Activities
11:45 AM & 2:05 PM at Uzima Pool

Cookie Decorating
1 PM -- Boma Restaurant

Pelican Feeding
2 PM -- Arusha Rock

Lodge Tour
3:30 PM -- Ogun's Firepit

Junior Researcher
4 PM -- Uzima Savanna

Recreational Activities
5 PM -- Lobby

Storytelling
6:30 PM -- Arusha Rock Firepit

Games with Savanna Guides
7:30 PM -- Sunset Overlook

Cultural Safari
8:30 PM -- Sunset Overlook

Track the Animals
9:30 AM -- Arusha Rock

Flamingo Feedings
10:30 AM -- Uzima Savanna

~Shopping~

Zawadi Marketplace
Celebrate the colorful world of African art and Culture.
7:30 AM - 11 PM

~Recreation~

Uzima Pool
11,000 sq. ft. pool featuring 67' long water slide.
Guarded: 24 hours
Hours of Operation: 10 AM - 10 PM

Zahanati Massage & Fitness Center
Fitness Center: 6 AM - 9 PM
Massages available: 8 AM - 8 PM

Hakuna Matata Playground
Located next to the pool and overlooking the flamingo area.
Hours: 24 hours

Pumbaa's Fun & Games Arcade
Located next to Mara restaurant.

Simba's Clubhouse
Children 4-12
Hours: 4:30 PM - 12 Midnight

~Dining~

Boma
Flavors of Africa
Offering a buffet for Breakfast & Dinner.
Breakfast: 7 AM - 11 AM
Dinner: 5:30 - 10 PM

Jiko
The Cooking Place
Serves Dinner: 5:30 - 10 PM

Mara
Fast food - Counter Service
Open 6:30 AM - 11:30 PM

Victoria Falls
Overlooking Boma,
Serves specialty drinks, coffee, tea.
Open: 4 PM - 12 Midnight

Uzima Springs
The Watering Hole
Pool Bar
Open: 10 AM - 9 PM

Private Dining
Available 6 AM - 12 Midnight

Thanks for the link, only 3 more months :Pinkbounc

kimmar067 said:
I just found a great 'slideshow' of AKL on the internet, in case anyone wants to check it out:

Yes Janet, we will be dining at Boma for breakfast on our last day. The only resie I could get for dinner at Boma was 9:30pm on the night we arrive and we're planning on going to MK for EMH the next morning so that's not do-able.

Duct Tape Diet...sign me up!!! :thumbsup2

Hi Everyone!!! Just checking in to say "Jambo"!!!

kimmar067 said:
....I DON'T CARE IF IT IS OFF-TOPIC - IT'S GONNA BE SAID ANYHOO:

I, for one, (and I am sure that my 'WildBunch' sistas will agree) am glad that there is banter and ZEBRA-DOME talk on this thread for folks like yourself, who just need a bit of 'escape-ism' and to be whisked away to the magic of WDW.....prayers and :pixiedust: your way..... :rolleyes: God Bless you and your family....

This is why we all love you and appreciate all you do to keep this thread going strong!!! YOU are the best!!!!!!!!!

AKLGoofy said:
And so our story begins....
Looks like it will be a great trip, keep us posted!!

dm220 said:
just wanted to say good day to all

:thumbsup2 ~ not too much longer for those of us around the 2 month mark!!!! Yeah!

shyjade said:
WHEW!!! So it's been a LONG two weeks for me. Thanks to your posts I can "escape" the reality of sickness & death for a few minutes each day and plan for my now very well deserved vacation in September with my DD.

I'm sorry for all you are going through. I'm glad a few minutes here helps out a little bit!! That's why I come here, it's my little escape too!!!
You certainly deserve a wonderful trip with your DD, and I know it will be!!

John's Mom said:
Kimmar,

The "THEN SOME" is what really makes this thread so special!

Exactly!!!! That's why those of us who post here keep coming back!! It's so nice to talk about anything from the lodge to zebra domes to our lives. We can be serious or silly and I for one love that!!! This is a terrific support group, it feels like a "best girlfriend" that you can talk too. It also certainly doesn't hurt that we all have the same affinity for our FAVORITE place!!! It's wonderful and I'd hate for this thread to change in any way!!!!!!!!!!!! :grouphug:

stephwynn said:
I am so darn excited...we leave tonight!!

Woo Hoo!!!! How exciting ~ I hope you have a great time!!! :woohoo:

scoutsmom99 said:
My fingers are crossed for no hurricanes.

Cross your toes too!!!! I've got everything crossed!!! I CERTAINLY don't want to see anymore anytime soon!!!

2 months and counting!!! :cheer2: I went to the Disney Store yesterday and got DS a Captain Jack costume...... he just had to have it, and it's too cute!!! Now when we get to DTD and he "builds" his pirate hat, he'll be all set, so if you see a little swashbuckler around the lodge don't be afraid......... he's a good pirate!!! pirate: Yo Ho

** They had tons of things on sale!!! Just an FYI for you guys!!

Also, I love all the new pics!!! Thanks KIMMAR!!! So, no more news yet on the wedding, but all is well. I hope everyone enjoys the rest of the week and has a wonderful weekend!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter