"I've never met a gravy I didn't like" - A Coworkers Trip to Disney World (February 2023)

MamaMouse0920

Mouseketeer
Helllooooo (said in Mrs. Doubtfire voice), my fellow Disney lovers!!!

giphy.gif

I am home and settled and ready to share all the fun details from my quick adults-only trip to sunny Orlando, where we visited my favorite mouse! If you feel so inclined, you can find my Pre-Trip Report HERE. If not, I'll do a brief recap before getting started.

Who: I'm Bethany, AKA MamaMouse0920.
I'm 31 & live in the snowy tundra of Minnesota (we're expected to get 32 inches of snow starting today so...... yeah I'm missing FL weather pretty bad right about now). I've been married to my sweet husband Matt for almost 9 years and am a mama to two adorable kids, my DD4 and my DS2.
1677011789984.jpeg
Picture from my sister's wedding in July of 2022

For this trip however, I left Matt with the kids at home and took a trip with my two coworkers (S & J) and our boss (F). J's wife (S2) tagged along as well, and my boss brought her family (DH + 2 tween daughters) as well but I only ever saw them briefly one day so they won't be familiar faces in this TR.

What: We attended a work conference/expo from February 13th through the 15th and added on one "Twilight" park ticket (admittance after 5pm) and a full Park Day after the conference was over.

When: Flew in Sunday February 12th, flew home Friday February 17th.

Where: The conference was at Coronado Springs which is where our work put us up as well. It was AMAZING!

With all the background information squared away, I'll jump right in to the nitty gritty in my next post!

Up next: Day 0 (Travel Day)

Last edited:
Day 0 (Travel Day) - February 12th, 2023

Now typically I'm a "packed-for-several-weeks (er... months, if we're being honest here!)-before-the-trip-even-happens" kinda gal but for this trip in particular I was struggling BIG time with figuring out what the weather was going to be like. In the weeks before we left, Orlando had seen temps as low as 30 and as high as 87 so I was not at all sure what to pack. Born & raised in a suburb of Minneapolis, MN I am no stranger to the cold- nor to the mood swings Mother Nature has been known to exhibit (we can see all 4 seasons in one day!) but generally speaking I am a bit of a freeze baby and would WAY rather be too hot than too cold.. so I wanted to pack accordingly. I was trying to hold off until literally the last minute to pack, so the night before (Saturday 2/11) I had Matt put on a movie for the kids so I could sneak away and finally decide what I would be wearing. With one last glance at the weather, I determined that the beginning of our trip was going to be on the cooler side, with the tail end of our trip being on the warmer side.

1677007862461.png

Ultimately I ended up packing a hodge-podge of both warmer & colder items, and still some days I was sweating while others I was freezing so my packing wouldn't be considered a massive success, but oh well!

The day of travel, Sunday February 12th was a morning like any other. My flight wasn't until 1pm, meaning I didn't need to be at the airport til 11am. I spent the morning snuggling with the kids, trying to cherish every last minute with them before I left. Incidentally, this trip was the longest I had been away from anyone in my family - Matt included! It's crazy to think that we have literally been side by side for the last 12 years without being apart for longer than 6 days. We all watched movies and snuggled on the couch until I went upstairs to get ready around 10am.

After a quick shower & throwing my make up bag in my suitcase, my saint of a husband heaved my heavy suitcase down the stairs and loaded it into the car.

giphy.gif

Pretty sure he looked like this. ^

A few minutes later we buckled the kids in their car seats & made the 15 min drive to the airport so they could drop me off. Tears were shed by both them and I (goodbyes are hard, okay!?) but I quickly made my way inside to drop off my giant suitcase and start the trek through security.

As I approached Delta's baggage counter I noticed that I recognized the back of the head I saw in line before me- My coworker S! We were the only ones flying out this day (F flew out the day before & due to a family emergency J actually flew in to Louisiana the day before, so was flying in to FL the same day as us, but from a different airport) and I knew we were on the same flight but S is a lot more "go with the flow, show up right before boarding" than I am and I honestly didn't think I'd see her until we landed. Instead, we weaved through security together which was nice. I don't mind traveling alone but I am definitely more of an extrovert and would always rather have a buddy with me than be by myself, so I was happy to have company! I did have to have a TSA pat down- the little old TSA agent was so cute, after I went through the scanner she quietly whispered "ma'am, the machine has alerted at your breasts......... are you comfortable with me patting you here? Or would you prefer to go to a separate area?" and asked me a ton of questions about my comfort level etc. and was overall just very sweet and apologetic about the whole thing. Of course little does she know I've been through so many infertility treatments that a quick little over-the-clothes-pat-down is NOTHING compared to what I've been through, and it didn't bother me in the least. The line for security was so short and we made it through (pat down included) so quickly, it was only about 11:15 by the time we were making our way to the gate. We found a bar not far from our gate and sat down to enjoy a leisurely pre-flight beverage. This was the only picture I snapped and it's an awful one of me, but S looks cute so it stayed LOL.

1677009122095.jpeg

Meet my coworker, S!

One grossly-overpriced drink later, as we approached our gate we soon discovered just how full our flight was going to be. Sooo many people crammed together preparing to board, and as we found a place to hang out before they called our boarding group, I noticed one family in particular standing close by that were clearly fighting some sort of respiratory infection. I surreptitiously texted my husband "there's a family standing near me and all of them are coughing constantly... I hope I'm not seated next to them!" .............guess who I was seated next to. Yep. The Cougher Family. Now don't get me wrong - I have kids myself, so I KNOW how these things go... kids pick up germs from any & everywhere and happily share them with you, and I'm not saying to cancel your entire vacation over a cough but also, we're living in a post-COVID world and we know how easy it is to throw a mask on if you or your kids are coughing and you need to be in public....ahem, or on a packed flight. I had packed a couple of N-95s since DS2 is having a quick outpatient procedure 2 weeks after I return, and I wanted to try to protect him as much as possible this trip, so I grabbed one from my bag & threw it on. It made me feel a bit better, but still I was less than thrilled with hearing a cough every 15-30 seconds, for the entire 3 hour flight.. but oh well.

After we landed, S & I took the Fake O Rail to collect our baggage, and then ordered an Uber to take us to Coronado Springs. Early on during our 30 minute drive, even though we had sent an update to our work group-chat with where we were and our ETA, J informed us that him and S2 were heading down to Three Bridges to get us a table. S and I agreed that even though it meant they would be waiting for longer, we wanted to head to our rooms and unpack/change before heading down to the restaurant- so that is exactly what we did. Plus, S needed to meet her ECV rental company in the lobby to collect her scooter for the week. I stayed behind with her and all by my onesome somehow managed to roll our two giant suitcases + our carry ons allllllll the way from Gran Destino Tower to our building (Casitas 4) while she learned the ropes on navigating an ECV. It was a long, sweaty walk for me but we made it! I warned her that if she thought navigating hotel crowds with that thing was bad, just wait until tomorrow night, at Epcot! This was my first time at Coronado Springs, it is STUNNING. The place is ginormous, and everything is modern and beautiful. The main tower, Gran Destino Tower is the most recently updated & honestly has the most "deluxe" feel to it, I wished we were staying there! Instead as I mentioned we were put in Casitas, which was still beautiful just not as fancy. I've attached a map of the resort below so you can see just how far we had to hoof it, from the lobby (Gran Destino Tower) to our building (Casitas 4). Three Bridges at Villa del Lago is, as the name implies, at the meeting point of the three bridges so a pretty central point of the entire property.

1677010146247.png

For some reason I never got a picture of the inside of the room, but here is a picture I found from Google that looks identical to my room:

refurbished-room-coronado-springs-construction-disney-world-468.jpg

In the bottom left corner of the photo above is where the mini fridge, Keurig, and a couple shelves were (I made that area my mini-kitchen and put all the snacks I had brought from home, my water bottles, coffee mug, etc. there). I loved that the beds had space underneath to store my luggage! Beyond those sliding doors is a decent size closet with an iron/steamer & TONS of hangers (which came in handy since I had a separate outfit (+ shoes) each day for the conference & then dinner too, plus all my Disney park outfits.. so potentially 3 outfits per day!) plus a little shelf I used to hold my shoes underneath. Adjacent to the closet was the bathroom area, which had SO. MUCH. STORAGE and was perfect.

20190610_Disney-Coronado-Springs_EPizzarello-5.jpg

After a quick unpack & change out of our sweaty airport clothes, S & I walked down to Three Bridges and met J & S2 for a late dinner & cocktails! I didn't get a picture, but I ordered the warm cheese dip & the sangria flight. Again, here are photos from Google of my order:

R.0eb8fb064024ba26584b5b8d7b17222d

Sangria Flight​

Sample all four of our House-made Sangrias (Rosado (Rosé) Sangria, Tinto (Red) Sangria), Espumoso (Sparkling) Sangria), Blanco (White) Sangria)
$22.00

R.b1b44ea017ebdebac1145d38c9033409

Warm Manchego and Oaxaca Cheese Dip​

Chorizo, Roasted Red Peppers, and Tortilla Chips
$14.00

The 4 different sangria were all delicious- and heavier pours than I imagined they would be! The cheese dip however was slightly underwhelming (I think it may have sat for a while before it was delivered to our table, the cheese wasn't super melty & my chips kept breaking as I tried to scoop the dip) and a lot smaller of a portion than I was banking on considering it was called a "sharable". Still overall a delicious meal, and it felt good to sit outside (even though the temp was cooler at this point, around 8pm FL time, I think it was around 55 degrees) and chat with my coworkers. We didn't have to work the entire week, and it was such a nice feeling knowing how much fun the next 5 days would be.

F had been texting me as we wrapped up dinner asking where we were, so after we paid, we left to meet her at one of the poolside bars for a quick cocktail before bed. We had lots of laughs and a great time unwinding before calling it a night around 10:30pm. We had to be up early for our first day at the conference the next morning, and truth be told I was super excited to have an entire cozy bed to myself, without a snoring husband or kicking children who ninja-style somehow show up in your bed every morning around 3am. Alarm set for 6:50am (had to buy that Guardians of the Galaxy ILL at 7am!), I dozed off pretty quickly.

Total steps: only 8,503! Usually my travel day step count is way higher... granted I'm usually wrangling two kids ;)

Up Next: Day 1 (conference day)- Monday, February 13th 2023

Last edited:

Day 1 (Conference + an evening at Epcot) - February 13th, 2023

After my alarm went off at 6:50, I stayed in bed but turned on the TV and linked my Disney+ account so I could stream Guardians of the Galaxy, getting me pumped up for my favorite ride of all time later that day! As it drew nearer to 7am I started closing out of all my open apps, disconnecting from the WiFi, making sure I would be logged into the MDE app, etc. - all to prepare for buying an ILL for GotG. Precisely at 7am I had no trouble at all buying an ILL for 5:00pm for S and I. The others in our group aren't into rides (severe motion sickness) so we knew from the start it would just be S and I. Reservation successfully made, I knew I had to start getting ready to be out the door by 7:40 but somehow I let the time get away from me as I watched Guardians and lazily scrolled through social media. Around 7:20am I realized the time, yelped, and immediately hopped in the shower. After getting out I checked my phone and noticed I had a text from F saying "lets go get coffee!" I quickly responded "Just got out of the shower, whoops! Give me a few mins" and approximately 1 minute later I had a knock on my door. Nothing like opening your door to your boss, with nothing on but a towel!

giphy.gif

I hastily got dressed/blow-dried my hair/put make up on etc. while she waited for me. We raced down to the convention area of the resort and I didn't even have time to get coffee as we went our separate ways to our workshops, about 5 minutes late. After those were done it was time for the first keynote speaker of the day - Matthew Luhn, who worked as a storyteller for Pixar (literally everything from Toy Story to Onward!) and also was the youngest animator ever to work on The Simpsons (at age 19)! Talk about impressive. I get goosebumps now thinking about his presentation, it was amazing!

1677162756128.jpeg

Now don't worry, I won't get into too much detail on the remaining 2.5 days of the conference since, let's be honest, that's not why any of you are here! :laughing: I just wanted to include this fun little tidbit since the first keynote speaker was so heavily involved in Disney/Pixar! Fun fact: the little green army men in Toy Story were animated based on the movements of Matthew's feet being strapped to a 2x4!

At 11:00am we had a lengthy break between speakers/workshops, so the 4 of us grabbed our box lunch (a pre-made cold sandwich, bag of chips, apple, cookie, and pop/soda) and found a spot in the sun to sit outside and eat our lunch. It didn't take long to realize we were sweating & stinking up our business-casual clothes, so we decided to walk back to Casitas and change into our swimsuits and sit instead by the pool for the next couple hours.

1677163257131.png
F & I on our walk back to Casitas

1677164132940.jpeg

It was around 70 degrees with not a cloud in the sky and it felt AMAZING. It was a perfect few hours! Just lounging in the sun with a beautiful view and chatting with coworkers. Spoiler alert: I actually burned my chest & nose during that 2 hours by the pool, but I wouldn't realize it until later that night. Oops! Tourist mistake not wearing sunscreen. To no ones surprise, after an amazing couple hours soaking up the sun it was super difficult to go back to the conference afterward :laughing: But after the conference was over for the day we returned to our rooms to get changed into our Disney gear and make our way to Epcot for our "twilight" ticket with admittance after 5pm. With S's ECV we decided to split an accessible Minnie Van from Coronado <> Epcot, which was SUPER nice. The CM driver was very sweet and it was a seamless ride. And only about $40, which isn't bad at all in my opinion! Especially considering we had 5 people + a scooter in the car.

1677164806357.jpeg
S (all strapped in safe & sound in her ECV) & I during the Minnie Van ride!

About 5 minutes into the drive, I got notified via MDE app that GotG was down during our scheduled ILL 😭 I hoped that by the time we got unloaded from the Minnie Van/made our way through security/into the park that it would be back up....

1677164964025.jpeg

1677165010522.jpeg

....but no luck, it stayed down. Waaaah! I really was stuck between a rock & a hard place... I didn't want to leave the front of the park and be halfway around the world when GotG came back up and subsequently need to drag S & her ECV racing back through more crowds (especially considering what a time-waster that would be, seeing that we only had 4 hours in the park!) but even more worrisome was that I didn't want to be a couple cocktails deep and THEN ride the mack-daddy of motion sick inducing rides! I had taken my Dramamine before leaving the hotel room but still, alcohol + spinning rollercoasters probably don't mix. I conferred with S, who agreed that if we made it to Germany and it wasn't back up, we would skip it. We started our journey in Mexico with F, S2, & J getting margaritas & all of us sharing chips & guac. After Mexico we headed into Norway, S & I stopping at the Frozen bathrooms, taking turns so I could guard the ECV and quick FaceTime with Matt & the kids. Turns out my parents had invited them out to dinner so the 5 of them (Matt, my mom & dad, and the two kids) FaceTimed me from Applebees. The kids were so excited, 1) they are OBSESSED with their grandparents and 2) we don't go out to eat often so they were over the moon to be with their favorite people AND to get to enjoy treats like corn dogs, mac & cheese, and chocolate milk :rotfl2:ahh, to be young & so excited about a trip to Applebees.

1677167100366.jpeg
1677167114322.jpeg

After that brief chat with my family I checked MDE and GotG was back up! I excitedly told S and texted the others that we were headed that way and would meet them wherever they were when we finished our ride. We hauled booty back to the front of the park (coming from only Norway so thankfully not too far!) and we got about halfway there when S noticed her ECV battery was dying... FAST. And she had not brought the charging cord (sigh). We agreed we just wanted to get to GotG and then worry about it after. As we scanned into our ILL (the line was lengthy since it had been down for almost 2 hours) around 6:30pm, we walked our way through the queue. S I think was starting to already feel some pain in her knees (it is a long walk!) but she persevered and we made it to the pre-shows. As we entered the teleportation room, the CM made a loud announcement to PLEASE stay inside the outer line of the room and to NOT rush the doors after the pre-show was done, as that was what had caused the ride to go down earlier. S looked at me like "huh?" and I explained my guess that there are sensors (for safety) around the perimeter of the room/near the doors since they open automatically and someone had tripped the sensors causing everything to shut down. As we approached the cars my excitement grew- I love this ride!!! I did feel a twinge of guilt not being with Matt, as it's his absolute favorite too.. Buuuuut I quickly got over it ;) We were behind a huge group (20?) of cheerleaders, and the entire line of cars ahead of us was filled with the whole cheer team- all in matching uniforms & custom Mickey cheer ears. I wanted to snap a picture for them, seeing the entire coaster filled with the team was adorable! But no time, the cheerleaders zoomed away and it was our turn to board. I can't remember which car we were in, but somewhere toward the front (I've heard the middle is the best?). The ride was AMAZING, as usual! We had "One Way or Another" by Blondie which I hadn't had before and I loved it! I had tears rolling down my cheeks from laughing (+ wind) the entire time. S loved it too! As it ended she said "can we just stay on and ride again?!" and at the very end of our trip I asked her what was her favorite part and she said Guardians. Score! It always feels great introducing a non-Disney person to the best parts of the parks & getting them hooked.

1677165966166.jpeg
Check out the sweet couple in front of us holding hands - my heart! 😍

As we got off the ride and made our way back outside, it was already dark and had really cooled down, I think around 55 degrees with a bit of a breeze. I was glad to have my sweatshirt but was still feeling cold! I know S2 ended up buying a sweater in Mexico, I can't imagine what that ended up costing her!

1677166030215.jpeg

We collected S' ECV from the scooter parking area and while it wasn't completely dead it was dangerously close. We decided we'd head to the entrance of the park and see if Epcot's ECV/wheelchair rental place had any spare chargers? I didn't think it would be likely that they could/would help us, but I didn't know what else to do. S physically could NOT make it around the entire park if she had that much pain just from walking through the queue of Guardians, and it honestly probably would have been either that or head back to the hotel. I feel guilty admitting it but I was secretly a little bummed/frustrated that we had to waste so much of our limited park time dealing with this ECV when this could have (somewhat) been avoided by bringing the charger wherever the device goes. In her defense, it was clearly a faulty scooter since it went from almost a full charge to a dead device after only a couple hours of use, but still. Predictably, the ECV rental spot told us they didn't have any chargers for us to use but they did have some of their ECVs available that she could rent... and yes, S forked over $50 to rent a scooter for 2 hours. OUCH. I was surprised they didn't have a discounted rate for the last couple hours of the park being open but then again, we all know Disney is in the business of making money so it makes sense!

I'm out of picture space so will pause here :)

Last edited:
Day 1 (Conference + an evening at Epcot) - February 13th, 2023

As S was paying and trading scooters, I stepped out and got to watch the light show on Spaceship Earth. It was a dazzling display of "Rainbow Connection" and it made me tear up! I'm a sucker for shows, fireworks, musicals, etc., what can I say.

1677167898471.jpeg
1677167981653.jpeg

After the scooter debacle was finally resolved, we made our way back to meet the others- somewhere around 7:15pm. They said they were in Germany so we raced over to meet them, F sending us this picture:

1677169315539.jpeg
From left to right: S2 (J's wife, tagging along this trip- isn't a part of our workgroup) in her new sweater :laughing:, J (my coworker) in the middle, and F (our boss) on the right with the Coco or Mirabel (I can't tell which) ears.

While we were on GotG & dealing with the scooter, the other 3 (F, J, and his wife S2) had ordered some more cocktails and I imagine were feeling pretty buzzed by this point. When we re-joined the group, they made several comments for us to "catch up!" so I ordered a grapefruit beer in Germany and we immediately left for Italy, since the others had been in Germany a while and were ready to move on. Once there, everyone else ordered Bellini's and for some reason F, J, & S2 thought it was a good idea to down them like shots?? Like I said, pretty buzzed :laughing: Bleh - just thinking about it is giving me gut-rot!

1677169277389.jpeg
Again left to right is S2, S with the glasses, J (the lone male of our group) and me on the right.

1677169481472.jpeg
I think maybe I'm on the phone with Matt, telling the kids goodnight??

I finished up my grapefruit beer as we approached America so I got in line to order a Yuengling while the others stopped for a potty break using the restrooms behind the Regal Eagle. Throughout the night it felt like J, F, and S2 were a group and S and I were a group- In addition to being more buzzed than us I think they also weren't used to being with the slowness that a scooter (or stroller) + Disney crowds can bring, so they were often almost a full country ahead of us and we got separated frequently. During one of these separations, S and I stopped in Japan where S accidentally ordered 2 drinks at the Kabuki Cafe so we hung out for a bit so she could finish one of them... since she needs at least one hand to drive the scooter!

1677167999328.jpeg

S also stopped at an art booth (it is Festival of the Arts after all!) and purchased a canvas she loved. The art was all beautiful, and I'm not saying the artists don't deserve the $$$$ but some of those price tags- ooooof! $6k for a painting, I can't even :oops: S's was closer to the $200 range which is much easier to swallow, not that I was the one paying for it :laughing: While S was perusing and eventually purchasing, I chatted with one of the art booths CMs and had a great conversation. I didn't realize the CMs in the art booths aren't even CMs at all, they're actually workers from the gallery the art is sold from! These particular workers were from New York. I asked if they get any fun perks by working these events and she said quietly "oh, yes- we get to pick a piece at the end" Surprised and feeling like I asked too personal a question, I was like "oh! that's nice! I more so meant do you get free admittance to all the parks the whole time that you're here" :rotfl2:which she answered no, but they can walk around before/after their shift if time allows. Basically she was feeling just like me during this conference - lucky to be here, soaking in the environment!

S's wallet considerably lighter, we left the art booth & eventually met up with the others in Morocco. They were in line ordering food, so S & I waited for them near the fountain- me still nursing my Yuengling.

1677168067962.jpeg

We moved our way through the World Showcase, skipping France & UK since by that time it was about 30 minutes til park close + fireworks. We ended up in Canada where I ordered a Moosehead lager (which was in my opinion boring- tasted like any other old beer.. but that could be because I'm from Minnesota and already basically live in Canada, lol!). While moseying around Canada, F snapped this beauty:

1677169235393.jpeg

Also while moseying, I admitted to the group I've never had Canada's famous dish: poutine. To the gasps of my compatriots, I say "I've just never had an opportunity to try it! I think I would like it, though. What's not to like? Fries? Good. Cheese curds? Good. Gravy? Gooooood." (said in Joey's voice from Friends.. and if you don't quote Friends every day like me 1) we can't be friends and 2) I'll link the GIF)

giphy.gif

Followed by the quote of the trip & title of this TR: "you know, I've never met a gravy I didn't like" :rotfl2: We eventually found ourselves near the last booth in Canada when the fireworks were just about to start (at 9pm) so the others hopped in line to get one last cocktail before they shut down for the night.

1677168446735.jpeg
F in line for her last drink of the night

F ordered an Ottowa Apple, which ended up tasting too much like a Fireball slushy for F's liking (she is not a fan of Fireball) so she gave it to me.

Ottawa Apple​

Crown Royal Whisky, Maple, Apple Infusion and Cranberry Juice

$14.50

3 beers in, I was definitely buzzed by that point and switching to whiskey probably wasn't the smartest choice I've ever made, but thankfully it didn't push me over the edge and I survived to tell the tale!

Fireworks done (yes, more tears on my end!), we said goodbye to Epcot and made our way to the front of the park where we ordered our Accessible Minnie Van. This one took a while to arrive (maybe 45 minutes?) so we just chatted and let our buzzes come down a bit ;)

1677168588548.jpeg
You can tell by this AWFUL picture that all of us were ready to stop drinking and get back to the hotel!

When I got back to my room I realized (in horror) that other than a few bites of chips & guac, I hadn't eaten dinner... whoops! So I wolfed down a couple granola bars & some beef jerky I had brought from home. As I changed into my pajamas I realized (with even more horror) that my chest was BURNED- remember that spoiler alert earlier? So many rookie mistakes made that day, lol! I guess when you leave the kids at home, your mom-intuition stays behind too ;) After my nearly-midnight snack & a quick call to say goodnight to Matt, I fell asleep around 12:00am with my alarm set for 7:30am.

Overall it was a blast being in Epcot with my coworkers, I just wish we had more time! No Living with the Land, no Soarin', no Nemo's aquarium, no Figment, nada..... just the World Showcase & GotG for S & I. 😭 Crowds were what I would consider moderate to heavy, with Presidents Day 2023 drawing in massive amount of crowds so it only worsened as the week went on and we got closer to the holiday weekend.

Total steps: 16,945

Up Next: Day 2 (conference day + Valentine's Day!)- Tuesday, February 14th 2023

Last edited:
Day 2 (Conference + Valentine’s Day!) - February 14th, 2023

Somehow F must have woken up all bright eyed & bushy tailed, since she had sent me a series of cheerful text messages at 7am, meanwhile I looked like this:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

F's family were headed to the parks, and with her DH being a rope drop kinda guy, I’m guessing that’s why she was up and at ‘em so early that morning. I groggily responded to her many texts asking to get coffee that I was still getting up/ready and that I somehow had packed a nearly-empty travel thing of toothpaste and I would love her for eternity if I could have some of hers, so she stopped by my room shortly after and delivered the goods. As we left my room around 8:00am, I turned off the lights & the TV and we were on our way to grab a coffee. The first keynote speaker this day was Temple Grandin. She had a great talk about visual thinkers and the way different people see different things and the benefits of bringing them all together to make one cohesive team.

1677266296267.jpeg

After her presentation was done, we headed to El Mercado de Coronado, one of the Quick Service cafeterias near the convention hall where I got a breakfast bowl.

Grande Fiesta Breakfast Bowl

Scrambled Eggs, Cheese, Green Onions, Breakfast Potatoes, Bacon, and Sausage
$13.50

It was standard cafeteria food- good enough for me and definitely hit the spot to nurse my lingering hangover. We had texted the other 2 making sure they were in fact alive :laughing: and invited them to join us for breakfast however J said he was bringing food back for S2 in the hotel room (she was working remotely from the hotel room all week) and S responded that she was in the main lobby waiting to meet the ECV rental company, swapping out her defective scooter for a new one. Yay! What a relief, I did not want to go through that all over again on our 100x busier DHS/MK day on Thursday.

When the conference ended for the day F and I headed back to our rooms to change into our suits with the plan being to check out the big pool. As I entered my room, I had a brief pause noticing that the TV was on. ** inner monologue ** didn't I turn that off? I could have sworn I turned that off... eh, oh well" and stripped down anyway. It isn't until I am 100% completely naked that a shadow passes over the room causing me to glance up....... and that's when it hit me. MY BLINDS HAD BEEN OPENED. I shrieked and scurried out of view of the window and quickly grab a towel to wrap around me before racing to the window and shut the blinds before another poor passerby got hit with an eyeful of this mom-bod. So if it was you passing by room 4443 in Casitas building 4 around 3pm and got one hell of a view, I apologize. Blame Mousekeeping, cause I didn't open those blinds!!!

giphy.gif

Free tip: always check to ensure the blinds are still shut before stripping down to your skivvies. Once I made it (fully covered by swimwear) to the big pool we quickly discovered It. Was. CROWDED. We struggled to find two chairs together, finally finding 2 in the way back of the pool area, slightly under a tree & partially covered by shade. Once we were settled in, I did my best to not burn again. I put on tons of sunscreen but didn’t bring a hat so I threw a towel over my head and tried to cover most of my chest & face. I know I looked goofy but I didn’t care! Eventually we headed to the poolside bar and got a delicious margarita which I drank happily, soaking in this amazing experience and just feeling so thankful to be here.

1677266313721.jpeg

As I’m sitting there, head under a towel and thinking about how lucky I am, I hear a gentle “splat” sound. I poked my head out from under my towel but didn’t find the source of the sound. Leaves had been falling around us, so I figured that’s what it was. Until I heard F say “did you just get pooped on?” I replied “uhhhh, I hope not?!?!” I didn’t feel anything hit me, so I didn’t think I did……… And then I saw it.

giphy.gif

Yep. I'd been pooped on. It hit my watch which is why I didn't feel it but heard it instead.

1677266338172.jpeg

I honestly was just thankful it didn't land in my margarita! F had been giving me a hard time for carrying a bag of baby wipes with me everywhere but HA jokes on her, they sure came in handy!!! :laughing: Suffice it to say this didn't feel like one of my luckiest days - first the Flashing Incident of 2023 and now the poo-tastrophe.

1677266584881.jpeg
they say it's good luck, right?

After a lengthy, gut busting laughing fit, the two of us composed ourselves and F sent the picture in our work group chat. J responded saying “S2 and I are at the smaller pool (the one by Casitas), no birds here!” So F and I headed that way and spent the rest of the afternoon at that pool instead which was considerably less busy, and no poo-bombs!

60+ days prior, I had made ADRs for Steakhouse 71 as a fancy Valentine’s Day dinner that night at 6:20pm. Fast forward to our afternoon at the pool, and the group started changing their minds. F wanted to stay behind and not do anything that night, and J & S2 wanted to do their own thing for Valentine’s Day, and opted instead to bar hop around Disney Springs. So it was just S and I! Heading back to our rooms to get all dressed up, we eventually ordered a regular Uber to bring us to the Contemporary for our dinner-date. We checked in a little early and headed to the bar where we planned to get a pre-dinner cocktail, however as soon as we sat down and snapped these selfies, I got the notification that our table was ready.

1677266704154.jpeg
1677266715484.jpeg

Our waiter was amazing, he was so knowledgeable and sweet! He asked where we were from and we told him Minnesota, to which he replied he was familiar with Minnesota as he used to be a pilot and Northwest (now Delta)’s training facility was located there so he had been several times. S & I ordered a bottle of wine to share, and we spent the evening chatting and enjoying each other’s company. Eventually I ordered two appetizers as my meal (the French onion soup & the wedge salad) and S got the filet with mushroom sauce & asparagus.

1677266743193.jpeg

As usual, everything was delicious! The waiter even convinced us to split the famous 12-layer cake, which was wonderful but HUGE and we didn’t finish it all.

1677266767846.jpeg

Eventually we Uber’d back to Coronado around 9pm, and decided we weren’t ready to call it a night just yet. At Three Bridges the other night, S2 had told us about a special “gin & tonic bar” at Coronado Springs, where they had these “fishbowl” glasses. In the main lobby of Gran Destino Tower, they have these interactive touch screen directories, so after the Uber dropped us off there we did a search of all the restaurants and bars on property and couldn’t find anything remotely involving the word 'gin', 'fishbowl', etc. We decided to head to the bar on the bottom floor of the lobby and asked the bartender there- knowing full well we sound absolutely ridiculous asking “where’s the gin bar?!” but by a total strike of luck, the bartender replied “well, I don't know of any specific 'gin bar' but here we have over 28 different types of gin and we have a special “make your own gin & tonic” with a bunch of different types of tonic & mixers… so maybe your friend was talking about this bar?” which was the Barcelona Lounge. We had found it! We grabbed seats at the bar and picked the bartenders brain trying to figure out which of the hundreds of combinations of gin & tonic would be the best for our tastes. I ended up picking the Mediterranean Tonic combined with a gin I can't remember that the bartender recommended. It was a beautiful color and delicious! AND it came in this big round glass, so we then understood what S2 was talking about with the “fishbowl” glasses!

1677266816640.jpeg

Build-Your-Own Gin Tonic (16.50)​

Mediterranean Tonic
Recommended with a Citrus/Herbaceous Gin. Gin Mare | Bluecoat American Dry | St. Augustine New World

1677266998444.jpeg
spot the sunburned chest? Yowza!

We spent the evening sipping our cocktails & chatting, and really had a wonderful time just the two of us. Eventually we made our way back to Casitas and called it a night around 11pm.

Total steps: 10,472

Up next: Day 3 (last day of the conference) – February 15th, 2023

Last edited:
Day 2 (Conference + Valentine’s Day!) - February 14th, 2023

Somehow F woke up all bright eyed & bushy tailed, meanwhile I looked like this:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

She sent a series of texts at 7am (I know her family were headed to the parks, and with her DH being a rope drop kinda guy, I’m guessing that’s why she was up and at ‘em so early that morning), asking to meet and get coffee. I groggily responded that I was still getting up/ready and that I somehow had packed a nearly-empty travel thing of toothpaste and I would love her for eternity if I could have some of hers, so she stopped by my room shortly after and delivered the goods. Around 8:00am we went and got coffee and sat down for the first keynote speaker of the day, this time it was Temple Grandin. She had a great talk about visual thinkers and the way different people see different things and the benefits of bringing them all together to make one cohesive team.
View attachment 742099

After her presentation was done, we headed to El Mercado de Coronado, one of the Quick Service cafeterias near the convention hall where I got a breakfast bowl.

Grande Fiesta Breakfast Bowl

Scrambled Eggs, Cheese, Green Onions, Breakfast Potatoes, Bacon, and Sausage
$13.50

It was delicious and definitely hit the spot to nurse my lingering hangover. We had texted the other 2 making sure they were in fact alive :laughing: and invited them to join us for breakfast however J said he was bringing food back for S2 in the hotel room (she was working remotely from the hotel room all week) and S responded that she was in the main lobby waiting to meet the ECV rental company, swapping out her defective scooter for a new one. Yay! What a relief, I did not want to go through that all over again on our 100x busier DHS/MK day on Thursday.

When the conference ended for the day F and I met by the big pool at Coronado. It was CROWDED. We struggled to find two chairs together, finally finding 2 in the way back of the pool area, slightly under a tree & partially covered by shade. Once we were settled in, I did my best to not burn again. I put on tons of sunscreen but didn’t bring a hat so I threw a towel over my head and tried to cover most of my chest & face. I know I looked goofy but I didn’t care! Eventually we headed to the poolside bar and got a delicious margarita which I drank happily, soaking in this amazing experience and just feeling so thankful to be here.

View attachment 742100

As I’m sitting there, head under a towel and thinking about how lucky I am, I hear a gentle “splat” sound. I poked my head out from under my towel but didn’t find the source of the sound. Leaves had been falling around us, so I figured that’s what it was. Until I heard F say “did you just get pooped on?” I said “uhhhh, I hope not?!?!” I didn’t feel anything, so I didn’t think I did……… And then I saw it.

giphy.gif

Yep. I'd been pooped on. It hit my watch which is why I didn't feel it but heard it instead.

View attachment 742101
I honestly was just thankful it didn't land in my margarita! F had been giving me a hard time for carrying a bag of baby wipes with me everywhere but HA jokes on her, they sure came in handy!!! :laughing:

View attachment 742102
they say it's good luck, right?

After a lengthy, gut busting laughing fit, the two of us composed ourselves and F sent the picture in our work group chat. J responded saying “S2 and I are at the smaller pool (the one by Casitas), no birds here!” So F and I headed that way and spent the rest of the afternoon at that pool instead which was considerably less busy, and no poo-bombs!

60+ days prior, I had made ADRs for Steakhouse 71 as a fancy Valentine’s Day dinner that night at 6:20pm. Fast forward to our afternoon at the pool, and the group started changing their minds. F wanted to stay behind and not do anything that night, and J & S2 wanted to do their own thing for Valentine’s Day, and opted instead to bar hop around Disney Springs. So it was just S and I! Heading back to the room to get all dressed up, S and I eventually ordered a regular Uber to bring us to the Contemporary for our dinner-date. We checked in a little early and headed to the bar where we planned to get a pre-dinner cocktail, however as soon as we sat down and snapped these selfies, I got the notification that our table was ready.

View attachment 742103
View attachment 742104

Our waiter was amazing, he was so knowledgeable and sweet! He asked where we were from and we told him Minnesota, to which he replied he was familiar with Minnesota as he used to be a pilot and Northwest (now Delta)’s training facility was located there so he had been several times. S & I ordered a bottle of wine to share, and we spent the evening chatting and enjoying each other’s company. Eventually I ordered two appetizers as my meal (the French onion soup & the wedge salad) and S got the filet with mushroom sauce & asparagus.

View attachment 742105

As usual, everything was delicious! The waiter even convinced us to split the famous 12-layer cake, which was wonderful but HUGE and we didn’t finish it all.

View attachment 742106

Eventually we Uber’d back to Coronado around 9pm, and decided we weren’t ready to call it a night just yet. At Three Bridges the other night, S2 had told us about a special “gin & tonic bar” at Coronado Springs, where they had these “fishbowl” glasses. In the main lobby of Gran Destino Tower, they have these interactive touch screen directories, so after the Uber dropped us off there we did a search of all the restaurants and bars on property and couldn’t find anything remotely involving the word 'gin'. We decided to head to the bar on the bottom floor of the lobby and asked the bartender there- knowing full well we sound absolutely ridiculous “where’s the gin bar?!” but by a total strike of luck, the bartender replied “well, I don't know of any specific 'gin bar' but here we have over 28 different types of gin and we have a special “make your own gin & tonic” with a bunch of different types of tonic & mixers… so maybe your friend was talking about this bar?” which was the Barcelona Lounge. We had found it! S and I grabbed a seat at the bar and picked the bartenders brain trying to figure out which of the hundreds of combinations of gin & tonic would be the best for our tastes. I ended up picking the Mediterranean Tonic which was a beautiful indigo color and delicious. AND it came in this big round glass, so we then understood what S2 was talking about with the “fishbowl” glasses!

View attachment 742107

Build-Your-Own Gin Tonic (16.50)​

Mediterranean Tonic
Recommended with a Citrus/Herbaceous Gin. Gin Mare | Bluecoat American Dry | St. Augustine New World

View attachment 742109

We spent the evening sipping our cocktails & chatting, and really had a wonderful time just the two of us. Eventually we made our way back to Casitas and called it a night around 11pm.

Total steps: 10,472

Up next: Day 3 (last day of the conference) – February 15th, 2023
Thanks for sharing about the Gin and Tonic Bar/ Build Your Own. Going in October for my Bachelorette and looking for some fun places to go!

Thanks for sharing about the Gin and Tonic Bar/ Build Your Own. Going in October for my Bachelorette and looking for some fun places to go!
Oh my gosh I am SO jealous! I was MOH for my sisters wedding this past summer and wanted so badly to do a Disney bachelorette party for her (she’s Disney obsessed too) but she didn’t think her bridesmaids could afford it/would want to spend the $ 😭 have you made a PTR yet? Or what do you have planned? I will for sure be following along (& living vicariously through you)!!! I was a wedding planner prior to having kids so Disney + anything wedding related is my jam. 😍

But yes Barcelona Lounge is a must do- the lobby/bar is so stunning and would be great for pictures.

How nice to have such fun coworkers! Also I’m sorry to tell you that you do NOT have a mom bod my dear! You look fantastic. That sunburn though —ouch. So totally something I would have done. Same with the flashing incident 😅. At first I thought you were going to say someone was in your room so I suppose it could have been worse!

Love reading about your trip! It's making it harder for me now to wait until September for mine.

Oh my gosh I am SO jealous! I was MOH for my sisters wedding this past summer and wanted so badly to do a Disney bachelorette party for her (she’s Disney obsessed too) but she didn’t think her bridesmaids could afford it/would want to spend the $ 😭 have you made a PTR yet? Or what do you have planned? I will for sure be following along (& living vicariously through you)!!! I was a wedding planner prior to having kids so Disney + anything wedding related is my jam. 😍

But yes Barcelona Lounge is a must do- the lobby/bar is so stunning and would be great for pictures.
It still to a point does not feel real LOL I have started a PTR. I think the link should work. (https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...-guilty-222-days.3902912/page-2#post-64632225) It is a little bit of a hot mess right now but I use it to dumb all my trip ideas. I would love for you to join along in the planning process.

Love reading about your trip! It's making it harder for me now to wait until September for mine.
It is so hard to wait between trips! We’re going in September too (whole family this time). Do you have a pre-trip report going? If so I’ll follow along!

Day 3 (last day of the conference) - February 15th, 2023

This was the last day of the conference and I think by this point everyone in our group was ready for it to be done. We were learning a lot and the speakers were all wonderful, I think we just wanted to be done learning & wanted to be able to fully enjoy the beautiful weather and amenities being offered to us at Coronado Springs.

At 8:15 that morning I met F down in the QS cafeteria before walking to our first 8:30 workshop. This was F & her family’s last day and she had expressed to me some concern about what her family was going to do between the 11am checkout and their 6:45pm flight. She was scrambling a bit trying to get ahold of someone at the front desk to request a late check out and I could tell she was panicking so I offered that they could put their suitcases in my room if they needed to. We made our way to the morning's presentations, and at 10:30 I felt my phone buzz. Glancing at the message on my Apple Watch, it was a text from F saying “they won’t let us check out later, you sure you’re okay with the girls using your room?”.

giphy.gif

… I was confused, since I had offered them to stick a suitcase in there, not have her 2 tween daughters and her husband hang out in my room without me there for 5 hours. To avoid being rude to the presenter (and to give me time to think about how I wanted to handle this), I left my phone in my purse and didn’t respond. As I exited the room and opened my phone to respond, she was walking toward me asking for my Magic Band to let her family into my room. At this point I was panicking. I am a clean, organized person so I knew my room wasn’t in shambles (I at least wasn’t worried about like dirty clothes on the floor or anything, but I DID have my pajamas & underwear for the night folded and placed at the top of my bed… so all I could picture was her tween daughters (or worse, her husband) flinging back the sheets and having my underwear fly across the room) but it was just WAY outside my comfort zone having a bunch of strangers in my hotel room without me in there. I didn’t really think they would climb into my bed but still, it was just weird. I felt a big lack of control and like I had been cornered- she just took my Magic Band and left.

giphy.gif

literally me

All said & done and as I look back on it a week later, was it that big of a big deal? I don't know, but it really felt like it at the time. Fast forward to 11:30 that morning (an hour later), F texted asking to meet after my next breakout session to return my Magic Band – which surprised and confused me even more. They were done with the room already? What was the point of using my room at all, why not just give your luggage to Bell Services? When we met near the gift shop & she handed me my Magic Band, we chatted briefly about the plan for the day. She said she was nervous about the timing of the conference ending and getting to the airport on time for their flight, so she was contemplating skipping the last session. I told her I thought that was probably a good idea (which may have been for slightly selfish reasons- if the boss skips out, I felt like we can skip out too!) and she ultimately decided to spend the rest of the afternoon with her family at the pool. Before she left to join her family at the pool, she said she would text me when they needed to be let back into my room to collect their luggage.

I met up with the others where I filled them in on F’s plan to skip the afternoon’s session (giving us the freedom to skip as well) and we decided our vacation officially begun. Yahoo! We were all hungry & decided to head to Rix’s Sports Bar & Grill for lunch. We spent the next hour or two there, chatting as a group and playing a card game (What Do You Meme) at the table. I ordered the California Chicken Sandwich which was IMO spendy for a sandwich but still delicious.

California Chicken Sandwich

Grilled Chicken Breast, Applewood- smoked bacon, lettuce, tomato, and guacamole with a roasted garlic horseradish. Served with French Fries or choice of side.
$19.50

Halfway through my meal, around 1pm I glanced at my phone and realized I had missed a text about 15 minutes prior from F asking to be let back into my room. I quickly responded, apologizing that I missed her text and telling her that I was in the middle of lunch. I asked if they could wait 15 more minutes but she said they had already started walking and were almost to the room. Oops! So I had no choice but to abandon my half-eaten lunch and power-walk a half a mile across the property to let them in. This day was NOT going in my favor :laughing: I let them into my room, where she didn't say it out loud but I surmised they planned to use my shower (ignore my razor & toiletries scattered in the shower, I guess…), get dressed, and depart earlier than planned. By the time I rejoined the group at Rix’s, F had sent a message to the group chat bidding us all farewell, that her and her family were headed to Port Orleans to get some beignets before catching their flight.

After lunch, we all went to our rooms (me having some curiosity as to what my room would look like…) to change into our suits and meet at the pool so we could spend the afternoon in the sun. My room was just as tidy as I left it, except for a pile of used towels in the corner of the bathroom. She also left me their reusable popcorn bucket to use in the parks the next day and return to her when we came back to work the following week. I imagine this was a small token of appreciation from F for me letting her family use my room, which I was thankful for! Changing into my suit and feeling considerably less bitter than I was a few hours ago, we spent the next 3 hours lounging around the pool and just chatting and soaking up the sun.

1677507462851.jpeg

We had an ADR for 6:45 that night at Maya Grill, so around 5pm I left the others at the pool and headed back to my room so I could shower/get ready and try to pack up my things a little bit in anticipation for my new roommate that night. Since we opted to stay an extra night after the conference was over, we were on our own to fund Thursday night’s hotel stay- so S and I had planned to cozy up together & split the cost of a room. Knowing we would be in the parks all day Thursday, I gave S a plastic key card to my room (which I picked up at the front desk when I checked in) & asked her to bring her suitcase to my room at some point later that night so we wouldn’t have to deal with it at 6:30am as we’re racing out the door to rope drop. I also packed & prepared my park bag for tomorrow- filling my giant backpack (it’s actually my old Sarah Wells pump bag and it is ahhhhmazing. So many zippers and compartments, I swear I’ll use this thing til it falls apart) with my walking sandals, poncho, empty coffee mug, reusable water bottle, mini misting fan, portable phone charger, sunscreen, Kleenex, wipes, my sweatshirt, and an umbrella. I also prepped my fanny pack with some chapstick, Dramamine, my sunglasses, gum, and hand sanitizer.

Dressed and ready to go to dinner, I made my way to Maya Grill and was the first to arrive. I checked us in but they told me they wouldn’t seat us until the entire group was there. A few minutes later, J & S2 arrived, but no sign of S. I texted her around 7:00 asking for her ETA and she said she was on her way, that she had just dropped her luggage off in my room. As she arrived, we noticed she was sans-scooter… no wonder it took so long! I could tell she was in pain and regretting her decision, as it really is a long walk. About 30 minutes late for our reservation, we were seated. I felt bad (if you remember from my September 2022 TR, I am a Type A, organized, rule following people-pleaser who does NOT like rocking the boat), but the restaurant staff truly didn’t seem to mind. Maya Grill is nice, like a high-end Mexican restaurant with beautiful Aztec-like architecture. The table ordered fresh guacamole & chips (Guacamole:
Fresh Diced Strawberries with House-made Crispy Tortilla Chips $13.00) to share, and S got a tequila flight (seen in the top left corner of my picture below)- I think a bit of medicating for her painful knee situation! I ordered the margarita flight and a chicken fajita for dinner - it was all delicious!

1677507490180.jpeg

Traditional Margarita Flight​

La Clasica, Blood Orange and Horchata

$21.00

We had a great time chatting amongst the four of us and stayed at the restaurant til 9:30. On our walk back to Casitas, we went over the rough plan for the next day – our first (and only) full park day! S & I were going to rope drop DHS (reiterating to S our plan to meet at 6:45am to walk to the bus stop together), and J & S2 would meet us around 9:30/10am, then park-hop to Magic Kingdom at 2pm. We had two ADRs that day- Oga's Cantina at 1pm & Be Our Guest at 6pm.

By 10:00pm I had said goodnight to Matt, but I couldn’t fall asleep. I had started to feel a little sick: sharp stomach pains & slightly nauseous. Tossing and turning & not able to fall asleep, I turned on the TV, flicking through the channels until I settled on “Behind the Attraction”. I watched that for a while, hoping it would distract me from my upset stomach enough to fall asleep. Eventually the stomach pain had subsided but no luck falling asleep - I glanced at the clock and noticed it was already 12:02am, ugh! At that time I figured “meh, may as well buy Genie+ since I’m awake” so I did that and then was able to fall asleep around 12:30am. Not at all part of the plan, knowing my alarm was set for 6:15 and I had a full day of Disney ahead of me- rope drop to close!

Total steps: 10,265

Up next: Day 4 (Hollywood Studios + Magic Kingdom) – February 16th, 2023

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter