It's A Small World - A Never-ending Pre-trip Report

Goodness gracious, what stress to book the cruise! I'm glad you managed to get it, and to celebrate your birthday while cruising will be lovely!

It was not the easiest of tasks, but I suppose all is well that ends well and being on a ship for my birthday will be a bonus. I am now not so patiently waiting for my online check in to open up in 3 days.

We fell in love with Vero Beach. It is very quiet and relaxing. We could stay for weeks, but we are beach people.

That is good to know. I think we will enjoy it. I am a water baby and love to swim in the sea, but I am not too keen to have sand on my feet so very rarely spend any time on the beach itself.

Corinna

For the last 10 days or so I have promised myself to do an update. However, things are really busy and with me predominantly doing late shifts at the moment, my computer time is severely restricted. Add to this that the DIS is down for most of the morning and this makes doing anything on here pretty difficult. Still, with my September trip rapidly approaching and today marking the 90 day mark before our cruise, I have decided it is high time for an update.

Last week I put some crazy hours in at work and as a result, I have two extra days of lieu time to play with. This has worked out rather well. We are now able to leave for Paris on the Thursday afternoon instead of the Friday morning. Not only does this take some pressure off in terms of what we need to accomplish on Friday (package pick up plus the party on Friday night), but this also saved us a lot of money. By flying Thursday afternoon and coming back Monday morning we are now paying less for the two of us, which otherwise we would have paid each.

This also takes pressure off in November. I have leave as of the 10th November, which is also the day our cruise sets sail. I was supposed to be on an early shift that day so I was going to fly down to Southampton after work. That would have got me there quite late in the evening. Graham’s family lives there so we were hoping to have dinner with Graham’s sister and her husband. So this was all less than perfect. There is also the added complication that the only airline that flies between Manchester and Southampton is a low cost carrier and they have quite high charges for checked luggage. So Graham suggested that he would take the train in the morning with our luggage and I would join him later in the day with just the hand luggage. Now that I will have the day off, we can just take the train together and get to Southampton at a reasonable time. We are just waiting for train times to become available. At the moment they are only available until 3rd November, but we should be able to sort this out next week.

Of course the first trip that is coming up is our trip to Disneyland Paris. It is kind of scary how quickly this is coming up and within the next week or two, I should receive more information about how this will all work in practical terms. I was rather pleased with myself on Sunday. After not having been able to train for my 5 K run since mid-March due to various ailments and injuries, I did the full distance that day to see what my baseline is. I mostly power-walked it and came in at 50 minutes. I was averaging just short of 9 minutes per kilometre for the first 4 kilometres and that included inclines, stairs and cobblestones. I lost some time on the last kilometre when I was on a narrow canal towpath and had to dodge bicycles and dogs. I am hoping to shave off 10 minutes between now and 24th September. Considering that I still have about 7 weeks to train and that the course should be relatively flat with no obstructions, this should be easy enough.

Other things are coming together for this as well. A friend of mine from Florida is coming over for the race weekend and it just so happened that we arrive and leave on the same days. She gets in about three hours before us and will stay in one of the onsite hotels. We are planning to stay at our usual hotel in Champs sur Marne. We are planning to eat at the fabulous Chinese restaurant near the hotel the first evening and have invited her to come along. It will nice to be able to catch up before we get absorbed by everything that is going on during the weekend.

I have hinted on my trip report that I think the aliens have been and abducted my husband. The first indication of this was him having fun with characters on the Ovation. He now suddenly said that maybe he needs to come to the parks with us at some stage as he really wants to try the Ratatouille ride that they have at Walt Disney Studios in Paris. Him volunteering to come to a park with me is huge. He normally avoids going to the parks at all cost. Fortunately for him, I think he got off lightly. The Friday of the race weekend, they have an after-hours party for people participating in any of the events, which will take place at Walt Disney Studios. We have tickets for this. According to the description, all the main attractions are open, there will be special character meet and greets as well as food stations. So I think he will get his wish without having to brave a park during normal opening hours.

The preparations for the weekend are going swimmingly. I have all my outfits for the weekend sorted. I am looking forward to getting all the odds and ends. I am still waiting for a few elements and I will post photos once I have everything.

So that leaves my birthday trip. As much as I love cruising on Royal Caribbean, their IT is a huge pain in the neck. We have My Time Dining this time round. With Royal Caribbean, you can make dining reservations ahead of time through the Cruise Planner page. This takes a lot of stress out of My Time Dining. However, it is not the most obvious on how to make these reservations. Reservations for this cruise became available two days ago and yesterday I spent ages making three reservations and then had to give up as I had to leave for work. Yesterday, I had to add My Time Dining to the cart, add both of our names, select the date and time and then check out which required my name and email address. This got old very quick as I had to repeat this for each reservation. Fortunately I worked out today that there is a way to see all days together and add the names for every day. So I then just had to pick what time we want to eat for each day. That was a lot easier. I have mainly gone for 6:30 dinner, but chose a later dinner on our second evening as this is probably formal night and the day for photos with the captain. I also booked later dinner times on our port days. I doubt that we will have dinner on the ship the day we arrive in New York. We will probably have a late lunch and then get a snack either while we are out and about or after getting back on the ship. Online check in has also been taken care of.

When it comes to this trip, I have more evidence that the aliens have abducted my husband. Graham does not plan and is always amused that I like to plan everything in advance. Well, this time he has downloaded the excursion brochure for our cruise. I did not even know that something like this existed. He also has researched what there is to see and do at Vero Beach and he is really rather excited about this. He even found out for me that the local museum has some Chihuly pieces. On the way from Miami to Vero Beach, we may do an airboat tour at the Sawgrass Natural Area and he was also OK with the idea of stopping at the local outlet mall. I suppose I will eventually get in the spirit and start planning stuff, but at the moment I am just lacking the energy and inclination. One thing that I have made my mind up about is that I will attend Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party both times they are offered while we are there.

That sounds ideal that your trips will have a little more cushion on the travel ends.

How fun that Graham is getting into the spirit :)

Congratulations on the training front. Well done. Sorry things have not been good for training since March, but sounds like you're back in the groove.

Oh my about booking dining for the cruise.

That is great that you got those 2 days off enabling you to get the train to Southampton with Graham. They really need to release that winter train time table earlier!

How fabulous Graham is getting into the swing of things! That must be music to your Mickey ears. You will enjoy Vero and the airboat ride. We did one a couple of years ago fantastic! Loved every moment.

My sister said she almost threw her laptop across the room book the dining in RC cruise.

Well done on the 5k! That's brilliant!

How exciting all your plans.

It sounds like the trip planning is coming along nicely. That's great the for both trips your leave time was cooperating with you so that you could save money and have a calmer departure situation.

Now all you have to do is wait for the trips to come up!

That sounds ideal that your trips will have a little more cushion on the travel ends.

This is a considerable relief.

How fun that Graham is getting into the spirit :)

I think so, too.

Congratulations on the training front. Well done. Sorry things have not been good for training since March, but sounds like you're back in the groove.

Thanks. I am looking ahead to the race quietly optimistic.

Oh my about booking dining for the cruise.

I could not believe how much of a pain that was.

That is great that you got those 2 days off enabling you to get the train to Southampton with Graham. They really need to release that winter train time table earlier!

I am really glad how it has worked out. I agree about the release of the time table. I checked again today and we are still three days short of the date I need.

How fabulous Graham is getting into the swing of things! That must be music to your Mickey ears.

It is indeed. He has managed to find a downloadable brochure for the shore excursions for our two cruises and is working his way through them. He is making suggestions for what we could do in the ports. I am quite happy to let him take the lead on this. It takes pressure of me.

You will enjoy Vero and the airboat ride.

I think so.

My sister said she almost threw her laptop across the room book the dining in RC cruise.

I cannot say I blame her. It was tempting at times.

Well done on the 5k! That's brilliant!

Thanks.

It sounds like the trip planning is coming along nicely.

I am definitely making progress.

That's great the for both trips your leave time was cooperating with you so that you could save money and have a calmer departure situation.

I am really glad how this has worked out.

Now all you have to do is wait for the trips to come up!

There is still a fair bit to do, but I am glad on how things are slowly falling into place.

Corinna

It has been a productive kind of week. The train tickets for November were finally released and we got a pretty good fare that goes nonstop to Southampton. We leave at 10:30 and arrive at 14:30 so we still have most of the afternoon and all of the evening.

We now have all the hotels booked for our upcoming trips. The first hotel that got booked was for the one night pre-cruise in November. I was hoping to get a decent deal at the Holiday Inn right by the port. We have stayed at this hotel before. I had actually booked this for May when I thought we would do a back to back cruise on the Ovation. The price then was half of what I was quoted for this time. So we bit the bullet at the end of last week and booked a Premier Inn, which is a little bit further from the port, but still walking distance. It would have been nice to have chance to see the ship come in, but there was no guarantee anyway that we would get a room with a view of the port anyway and I am better off getting some sleep the night before rather than looking for our ship to come in. The hotel is not far from the station and the city centre either so that is a distinct advantage.

I finally booked our hotel for our Disneyland trip next month. We have gone with tried and tested with the Ibis at Champs sur Marne. I figured that this was not the occasion to go out of my comfort zone. We like the hotel and know the area around it.

Speaking of Disneyland Paris, I have been up to mischief. It has been on my bucket list for a long time to attend their Halloween festival, which runs throughout the month of October. The stars alined and ended up with three days midweek in the second week of October and I looked at prices for hotels and flights. I got a fantastic deal on one of their good neighbour hotels and flight prices are great as well. So I am having a sneaky solo trip. I am so excited about this.

Corinna

You were productive! Glad you found some deals and got more of your plans locked in. The Halloween festival sounds like fun!

Jill in CO

You were productive! Glad you found some deals and got more of your plans locked in. The Halloween festival sounds like fun!

Jill in CO

I am pretty happy about the progress that is being made. I am really excited about the Halloween Festival.

Corinna

So many great travel plans!! I look at all your tickers and do get a bit envious... :blush:

It'd always nice to have some solid plans, and the midweek solo trip sounds like it will be a lot of fun for you. That AP is certainly getting a lot of milage this year!

Well done for booking port hotel. I like the Premier Inns always a good standard at a darn good price.

Yeah DisneyLand Paris! I am interested in the deal you got. Flying? Whenever I get a quote I nearly pass out at the cost. But I haven't considered a neighbourhood hotel. If the shuttles are disabled access I might be interested. I am dying to do that Ratatouille ride. That is great you got Halloween! I hope you have fun. Halloween is a wonderful time to go. The park looks so pretty.

It'd always nice to have some solid plans, and the midweek solo trip sounds like it will be a lot of fun for you.

It definitely is and I am really looking forward to that solo trip.

That AP is certainly getting a lot of milage this year!

It definitely is this year. I had an annual pass for Disneyland Paris before and the only time I visited was during the trip when I got it. This is definitely different this year. My pass will expire in early November so I am going to have to make up my mind during the October trip if I will renew. I think I probably will as I really enjoyed having it this year and next year is the anniversary year.

Well done for booking port hotel. I like the Premier Inns always a good standard at a darn good price.

I like Premier Inns, too. The company I work for owns the franchise in the UAE so I often end up staying there when I am in Dubai. We lovingly call it the Purple Palace.

I am interested in the deal you got. Flying? Whenever I get a quote I nearly pass out at the cost.

Yes, flying. Easyjet started to fly from Manchester to Charles de Gaulle in May and they have really great fares especially if you can fly Monday through to Thursday. In September we fly out Thursday and come back Monday morning. We are paid £93 for both of us. In October, I paid a little more with £58 for just me, but considering flying standby costs me over £100, I think this is a very sweet deal indeed.

If the shuttles are disabled access I might be interested.

I will report back on the shuttle when I get back in October.

I am dying to do that Ratatouille ride.

The Ratatouille ride is amazing. I am not sure how accessible it is. Access to the ride vehicles is a little tricky. I can find out in September if they have an accessible ride vehicle.

That is great you got Halloween! I hope you have fun. Halloween is a wonderful time to go. The park looks so pretty.

I am so excited about this. I love Halloween and always wanted to go to Disneyland Paris during this time. I have it on good authority that Stitch will be there and there is a good chance that Cheshire Cat will be, too. As I will have been only three weeks before, I will concentrate on the Disneyland Park and the characters and entertainment rather than the rides. I may head over to Walt Disney Studios to check out if they have characters in Halloween costumes there, but mainly I will stick to Disneyland.

Corinna

It definitely is and I am really looking forward to that solo trip.

It definitely is this year. I had an annual pass for Disneyland Paris before and the only time I visited was during the trip when I got it. This is definitely different this year. My pass will expire in early November so I am going to have to make up my mind during the October trip if I will renew. I think I probably will as I really enjoyed having it this year and next year is the anniversary year.

I like Premier Inns, too. The company I work for owns the franchise in the UAE so I often end up staying there when I am in Dubai. We lovingly call it the Purple Palace.

Yes, flying. Easyjet started to fly from Manchester to Charles de Gaulle in May and they have really great fares especially if you can fly Monday through to Thursday. In September we fly out Thursday and come back Monday morning. We are paid £93 for both of us. In October, I paid a little more with £58 for just me, but considering flying standby costs me over £100, I think this is a very sweet deal indeed.

I will report back on the shuttle when I get back in October.

The Ratatouille ride is amazing. I am not sure how accessible it is. Access to the ride vehicles is a little tricky. I can find out in September if they have an accessible ride vehicle.

I am so excited about this. I love Halloween and always wanted to go to Disneyland Paris during this time. I have it on good authority that Stitch will be there and there is a good chance that Cheshire Cat will be, too. As I will have been only three weeks before, I will concentrate on the Disneyland Park and the characters and entertainment rather than the rides. I may head over to Walt Disney Studios to check out if they have characters in Halloween costumes there, but mainly I will stick to Disneyland.

Corinna

That would be very kind to find out those facts for me. Thank you!

My outfits for the race weekend are still a work in progress. The first batch of shirts did not turn out how they were meant to. I am still waiting on some accessories, too. However, my plans for the nails have now come together. When I go to have my nails done next week, I will check if what I envisage for the race weekend can be done. I am hoping to go with a pink and light blue ombre on all fingers like in those photos. I hope this will work out.

I have also found those cute Marie nail decals. I am still making up my mind if I want them on each finger or just on one accent nail on each hand. I am kind of leaning towards the second option as I think it will be too much to have Marie on every finger.

Sorry to hear about the shirts! I love those pink and blue nails they will look amazing. Cute Marie's. I am thinking you are right with the second option. Also it looks nice when people have them on every other finger.

The nails and the decals look really cute! Looking forward to seeing how it works out!

There are rumours about very very steep price increases for tickets to be around the corner, so renewing might be a good idea, especially if they are still running the promotion where you get 18 months renewal...

Sorry to hear about the shirts!

I have now received take 2 of those shirts and I really love how they came out. I will post an update with the outfits over the weekend.

I am thinking you are right with the second option. Also it looks nice when people have them on every other finger.

That is a great idea having them on every other finger. I will run this idea past my nail technician and see what she thinks.

The nails and the decals look really cute! Looking forward to seeing how it works out!

I can’t wait to see the finished result either.

There are rumours about very very steep price increases for tickets to be around the corner, so renewing might be a good idea, especially if they are still running the promotion where you get 18 months renewal...

I have heard those rumours as well. I also read a lot of opinions that the kind people in mainland Europe won't stand for it. With tourism in France and especially in Paris suffering at the moment and the fact that as far as I can see nothing new being added apart from maybe a couple of shows, possibly a new parade and a revamped version of Disney Dreams, I think this may well backfire. We will see. As far as I am aware they still do the 18 months if you renew.

Corinna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter