Is your province adopting Nation Truth & Reconciliation Day?

That's interesting because our school calendar for 2021-2022 has been out for more than a year and we're still getting the day off.
For Alberta I heard that if the schools took it off they would need to claw back a day somewhere else to get all the learning hours in. :teacher:

For Alberta I heard that if the schools took it off they would need to claw back a day somewhere else to get all the learning hours in. :teacher:
Which makes sense for sure! So I wonder how BC is doing it. I thought they might cut out one of our Pro D days but nope, still have 6 or 7 of those 🙄 so no cuts there.

Which makes sense for sure! So I wonder how BC is doing it. I thought they might cut out one of our Pro D days but nope, still have 6 or 7 of those 🙄 so no cuts there.
:confused3School schedules are always so mystifying, especially one province to another. We happen to be in BC right now on a family trip with a grandson from Ontario. He doesn’t start back until September 7 but the Alberts kids went back September 1.

That's interesting because our school calendar for 2021-2022 has been out for more than a year and we're still getting the day off.
I am also in BC and work for a large school board. For this year there will be one less “instructional day” because it was announced too late to alter the calendars other than making that day a Stat and giving everyone the day off. I guess for next year it will be worked into the calendar somehow.

Slightly off topic but I’m disappointed that it’s only for federal workers. I never understood why Remembrance Day is only for federal workers either. It’s very unfair some people get a paid day off and others don’t.

I remember when Remembrance Day used to be a provincial holiday and we got the day off school. I also remember the year that changed -- it was felt kids didn't appreciate the significance of the holiday and were just taking it as a vacation day, so the day off ended and instead kids were in school for the day and assemblies in school related to Remembrance Day became a requirement (don't know if they still are).

SW

Yes in Nova Scotia but they are still determining what that means for business closures, etc. I work in healthcare so they are still deciding…

I work for the federal government and do a "compressed" schedule where I work an extra hour every day to take one off every two weeks, but stats are only 7.5 hours so I had to adjust my schedule to account for that. They sent an email out explaining but people are still confused and it comes up in every team meeting.

For Remembrance day I used to go to kiddo's school for the ceremony. Obvious not last year and doubt it this year. They wonder be able to have an assembly on Sept 30 with the rules for covid but I am sure they will do something.

The company I work for in Ontario is federally regulated so we are getting it off same as Remembrance day.

I work for the federal government and do a "compressed" schedule where I work an extra hour every day to take one off every two weeks, but stats are only 7.5 hours so I had to adjust my schedule to account for that. They sent an email out explaining but people are still confused and it comes up in every team meeting.

For Remembrance day I used to go to kiddo's school for the ceremony. Obvious not last year and doubt it this year. They wonder be able to have an assembly on Sept 30 with the rules for covid but I am sure they will do something.
Oh I never even thought of this. I will have to look at my compressed schedule and adjust also then. Thanks for the heads up! (I’m sure there is an email waiting for me I’ve just been on holidays)

Check your calendars again just to be sure. SD42 had a virtual meeting recently to revise the school calendar and schools are now closed September 30th.

Check your calendars again just to be sure. SD42 had a virtual meeting recently to revise the school calendar and schools are now closed September 30th.
We are SD36 and they sent out a revised calendar on Friday which shows schools closed on Sept 30 as well but all pro d days (that were there before) are still there.

We sure didn't need another stat holiday, these holidays cost businesses a fortune just at the time that businesses are trying to recover some sort of prior profitability. If anything maybe they should have just replaced an existing stat holiday like labour day or family day and renamed it if they wanted to

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter