Is this "joke" funny?

73yo geezer here and thought it was funny. I find accepting my own limitations, as disheartening as they are with advancing age, is all part of the game before I *kick the bucket*.

condensed version

73yo geezer here and thought it was funny. I find accepting my own limitations, as disheartening as they are with advancing age, is all part of the game before I *kick the bucket*.

condensed version

One of the best movies ever, and one of its best scenes. :laughing:

It didn't make me laugh, but I recognize it as an attempt at a joke. I live with a very, very bad "dad-joker" so I'm pretty used to politely chuckling at things that are really lame. :rolleyes1No malice in the train clerk's comment, as far as I'm concerned but if I was her manager and heard it, I'd suggest she drop that one from her repertoire.

We live in such a somber world now. Everyone is offended at the drop of a hat. It is so seldom that one runs into a person doing their job with a bit of levity. That one was funny but a little on the dark side, but trust me when I say that the vast majority of us older than dirt people live on the dark side and a little teasing would not offend most of us. That said, however, I can also see the person not finding it funny because I will assume that she loved her parent and was just being defensive and certainly not entertained by this, especially if the aging process is not a fun thing for her mother or herself. Still, I would have walked away and never thought of it again. I have a t-shirt that says... It feels weird to be the same age as old people!

When I first wore it I was afraid that it might offend someone, but instead every senior that I encounter told me how much they liked it with phrases like.. Ain't that the truth.

One of the best movies ever, and one of its best scenes. :laughing:
I agree, one of the best movies ever made and possible the best scene in the picture. The problem is that now I will have that song in my head for the rest of the day. I don't think they have made a movie since then with that many big names, of the time, in it.

We live in such a somber world now. Everyone is offended at the drop of a hat. It is so seldom that one runs into a person doing their job with a bit of levity. That one was funny but a little on the dark side, but trust me when I say that the vast majority of us older than dirt people live on the dark side and a little teasing would not offend most of us. That said, however, I can also see the person not finding it funny because I will assume that she loved her parent and was just being defensive and certainly not entertained by this, especially if the aging process is not a fun thing for her mother or herself. Still, I would have walked away and never thought of it again. I have a t-shirt that says... It feels weird to be the same age as old people!

When I first wore it I was afraid that it might offend someone, but instead every senior that I encounter told me how much they liked it with phrases like.. Ain't that the truth.
:laughing: Now that did make me laugh!

I'm on a trip with my mom, sister and DS. When we visit this area, DS likes to go on a particular tourist train ride. I went up to the ticket counter and asked if they have a senior price since my mom is 86. The woman behind the counter smiled and said, "Actually, we consider seniors a liability so we charge them double! But just for today, I'll give you the adult price!" I'll admit I was a bit stunned and said, "OK, four adults." While she was running the transaction I said, "Why do you consider seniors a liability?" She said, "It was a joke." I said, "I know, but my mom's not a liability." I signed the credit card slip, took my tickets and thanked her before walking away. I was never impolite, but I think she felt a bit put off by my reaction.

I will say that I love a good joke! I joke around a lot. I totally understand sarcasm and use it all the time. But the woman joking about seniors being a liability just didn't strike me as funny. In fact, it seemed kind of disrespectful. Did I overreact? Take it too personally? Maybe it struck me the wrong way because my sister and I have an elderly mom and helping her safely navigate this trip is a little stressful? Or does the ticket seller need to re-evaluate her idea of what kind of "jokes" are appropriate to use on ticket buyers?
Funny? Yeah, I guess it was in the sense you weren't expecting it and clearly it worked. The way I interpret that is the woman set you up with a nice pitch and was hoping you had a good comeback and hit it out of the park. I would have asked something equally foolish like if it's 50% off tomorrow. or ask if they charge extra for severe incontinence ..that probably would have worked.

I don't find it funny at all. I would have honestly been upset at my family member's behalf.

Seniors are a liability? Ouch!

My thought upon reading this was how hurtful it could be were these travelers going to visit an elderly relative with a terminal illness or were traveling to attend a funeral.

I think the agent would do better to follow a practice suggested to me when I worked retail sales, "Don't make jokes with anyone not a regular customer or acquaintance/friend you know well."

I'm on a trip with my mom, sister and DS. When we visit this area, DS likes to go on a particular tourist train ride. I went up to the ticket counter and asked if they have a senior price since my mom is 86. The woman behind the counter smiled and said, "Actually, we consider seniors a liability so we charge them double! But just for today, I'll give you the adult price!" I'll admit I was a bit stunned and said, "OK, four adults." While she was running the transaction I said, "Why do you consider seniors a liability?" She said, "It was a joke." I said, "I know, but my mom's not a liability." I signed the credit card slip, took my tickets and thanked her before walking away. I was never impolite, but I think she felt a bit put off by my reaction.

I will say that I love a good joke! I joke around a lot. I totally understand sarcasm and use it all the time. But the woman joking about seniors being a liability just didn't strike me as funny. In fact, it seemed kind of disrespectful. Did I overreact? Take it too personally? Maybe it struck me the wrong way because my sister and I have an elderly mom and helping her safely navigate this trip is a little stressful? Or does the ticket seller need to re-evaluate her idea of what kind of "jokes" are appropriate to use on ticket buyers?
I would have had the same reaction you did. If possible, I would write up the whole encounter and submit to her employer. I’d be amazed if they found it an acceptable “joke”.

Everyone takes things differently. My DIL thinks it's cruel that that Care Home around the corner from our house has a sign that says "Now Recruiting Grandmas and Grandpas". I find it amusing.

If you find a joke funny; laugh, then move on with your life.
If you don't find a joke funny; don't laugh, then move on with your life.

Not everything needs to be an existential crisis.

Agree, but also want to disagree on OP's behalf - which I don't believe you directly implied, but just in case.

Agree in the fact I think somehow, somewhere our society has become so soft when it comes to comedy. I don't understand why no one can take a joke anymore. Not everything is meant to be literal and serious. There are plenty of comedians I don't find funny. Am I going out and blasting all over social media that their material is crass and inappropriate? No, because comedy is absolutely subjective! I simply don't watch. Voila! Problem solved.

The disagree comes with the OP. I don't think she took it as an existential crisis. She even said she moved on with her day moments later, but thought it could make a good discussion on the boards. Which by all accounts it is, as not everyone on here is in total agreement. It is nice to have a more lively discussion, even if it is a fluff issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter