Is this "joke" funny?

I often travel with my dad, who's in his 70s with some health problems. I laughed when I read this. Then I read it to my dad, since he happened to be sitting right here. He laughed too, followed by his own joke: "Seniors are a liability! We earned it!" Which is exactly how it would have gone if he was there.

OP, this is much ado over nothing, IMO.

I would have thought nothing of it, until I remembered the Fatboy Slim "Weapon of Choice" video, where Christopher Walken dances before flying around. This mischievous nature coupled with a blatant disregard for gravity are cornerstornes of seniors.

I think it's funny. I probably would have responded something like, "Yeah, those seniors--always taking off their tops and dancing on the tables!"

If the joke didn't land well with you, well, that's okay, but you need to just let it pass. She wasn't making a comment about your mom, specifically, in a way meant to offend.

Could it be that she thought you were asking for yourself?That's the way I read it,and find she was trying to be friendly.

I think it's funny. I probably would have responded something like, "Yeah, those seniors--always taking off their tops and dancing on the tables!"

If the joke didn't land well with you, well, that's okay, but you need to just let it pass. She wasn't making a comment about your mom, specifically, in a way meant to offend.
Remember the show Betty White's Off Their Rockers? Where seniors pranked younger people in the most hilarious ways? I can only hope that when I get to be a senior, I can have that same anything goes sense of humor.

I don’t think the employee meant to be rude. She was trying to be engaging and silly. Better than a monotone person who has the I don’t care attitude, imho.

Jokes are so subjective. What one person finds funny, another person finds appalling (and no, I don’t think you found it appalling, just off putting).

Sounds like you’re doing your best with your mom, and sometimes that is stressful. This joke didn’t land with you, and that’s ok. Just shrug it off and move forward. I believe they genuinely meant no harm.

Maybe it struck me the wrong way because my sister and I have an elderly mom and helping her safely navigate this trip is a little stressful?
This question you asked makes it seem like you are aware that your elderly mom is a liability on some level in this situation and that you and your sister are stepping up to help make her travels safe for herself and others.

In fact, it seemed kind of disrespectful. Did I overreact? Take it too personally? Maybe it struck me the wrong way because my sister and I have an elderly mom and helping her safely navigate this trip is a little stressful? Or does the ticket seller need to re-evaluate her idea of what kind of "jokes" are appropriate to use on ticket buyers?

I hope you're not thinking of heading into "let me speak to your manager" territory here. I am sensing a bit of that but I hope I'm wrong :rotfl:

I hope you're not thinking of heading into "let me speak to your manager" territory here. I am sensing a bit of that but I hope I'm wrong :rotfl:

Oh geez not a chance! I'm definitely not a "let me speak to your manager" kind of person (except once with the cable company but that was completely warranted).:rotfl2:

This wasn't even a huge deal and I'm certainly not dwelling on it. I just tossed it out here thinking it would make an interesting conversation. In the moment, I was feeling stressed because we only had a few minutes before boarding the train. My sister was parking the car, I went to buy the tickets and DS was guiding my mom to the restroom. I just wanted a quick and efficient transaction and certainly wasn't in the mood for jokes. Of course, there's no way the ticket seller could have known that, but 5 minutes before the train when there is a line of people waiting is not really the time to draw out a transaction.

I think it was funny, sort-of, but not something I'd say at wor to customers. Maybe I'd say it to MY parent, or my DD would say it to me, but I don't think I'd make that kind of a joke at work. My mother didn't usually realize the impact of her "jokes" and didn't understand that what she found funny, others would sometimes find hurtful or offensive. I also wonder if, as a PP mentioned, the clerk faces a lot of "why DON"T you give a senior discount" so was trying to jokingly stop any animosity. I wouldn't let it bother me, I'd just brush it off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter