Is there a minimum amount required to order at any TS restaurants?

ReallyFunMom

DIS Veteran
With all the possible changes, seems like you have to have a backup plan. Our plan is to go to CG, which normally isn't in the budget, using 2 TS credits to share one adult meal plan, then order kids meals, drinks and extra appet OOP. If they say you are all in or all out meaning the meal will be 8 TS credits b/c no sharing is allowed or no mixing DDP and OOP, will opt for all OOP. (Who knows what policy will be but seems like one should have a backup plan just in case.) Would be disappointing going from wine and sushi and dessert to ordering meals for the kids and some appets when becomes an OOP deal. It's one of those meals you make an ADR for b/c you're on the DDP, at least for us.

Would we run into any minimum order requirements ordering only appets and drinks for adults OOP? No way DH will deal with CG entree prices so see us at Contemp CS afterwards, at least using snack credit.

CG has a credit card guaranty of $20 /person. That's charged if you don't cancel early enough. I don't think the $20 is an actual minimum but it wouldn't be a reach to think that it might become an actual minimum.

CG is probably the one of the few restaurants in which Disney could justify making some changes. Some guests stay for hours and order very little.

It's really not a great buy at 2 credits. Is it really worth it if you think you'll need to use a CS or snack credit after your dinner? I don't think most of the appetizers are large enough to serve as an entrée. Two adults might get away with sharing a TS meal if they order an extra appetizer or entree.

ReallyFunMom said:
With all the possible changes, seems like you have to have a backup plan. Our plan is to go to CG, which normally isn't in the budget, using 2 TS credits to share one adult meal plan, then order kids meals, drinks and extra appet OOP. If they say you are all in or all out meaning the meal will be 8 TS credits b/c no sharing is allowed or no mixing DDP and OOP, will opt for all OOP. (Who knows what policy will be but seems like one should have a backup plan just in case.) Would be disappointing going from wine and sushi and dessert to ordering meals for the kids and some appets when becomes an OOP deal. It's one of those meals you make an ADR for b/c you're on the DDP, at least for us.

Would we run into any minimum order requirements ordering only appets and drinks for adults OOP? No way DH will deal with CG entree prices so see us at Contemp CS afterwards, at least using snack credit.

I really wouldn't worry about sharing your meal and paying OOP for your kids (or at least one kid so you are "even" on credits). I have to warn you that unlike many Disney restaurants, the California Grill's portions are fairly small. I am a big eater and I never leave there stuffed. Unless you order one of the huge sushi appitizers (if they are still allowed on the DDP) you may not have enough food for a proper meal. If you are both light eaters, then you should be OK with another appitizer OOP.

Lewisc said:
It's really not a great buy at 2 credits. Is it really worth it if you think you'll need to use a CS or snack credit after your dinner? I don't think most of the appetizers are large enough to serve as an entrée. Two adults might get away with sharing a TS meal if they order an extra appetizer or entree.

I ONLY think there would be dining later IF we were NOT allowed to use DDP so ordered less than originally planned - appets and CS later would be and unfortunate BACKUP plan if sharing is discontinued. DH doesn't actually like fancy meals, he would be there to humor me but, yeah, I think the steak dinner with potatoes, green beans and a soda would be enough for him. We'd be eating a little later than usual and he sometimes skips eating altogether if its past a certain time. Not getting enough food is not even on the radar....... with snack credits and such, can't see any of us going hungry. Likewise, I think I'm fine, even with the small portions, with an appet and dessert and some wine. We might pay OOP for another appet too. I'm all for ordering more if we want it OOP, I just don't want to order two full sets of adult meals since DH doesn't really find anything on the appet and dessert menu that isn't too fancy for him. The kids would be ordering kids meals each and they have never finished them in the past so theres an extra slice of pizza or something for DH if its not enough food.

I really don't mind the pooling of credits going away, it takes away one TS dinner we might have stretched out of using the kids credits. It seemed legit before, but still sneaky, but not now, definately against the rules. But taking away sharing and the ability to pay OOP for some things seems unduly restrictive. I might want to pay OOP for a kids meal somewhere that takes DDE (to further complicate this discussion) but use a kids TS credit for kids entree at WGP which does NOT take DDE. Picking and choosing when to pay and when to "spend" credits should be allowed. Hogging a table for hours and hardly ordering should not be allowed however you pay, thats another issue.

Lewisc said:
Is it really worth it if you think you'll need to use a CS or snack credit after your dinner?

Forgot to mention, it actually isn't worth going to CG if I knew for sure DDP was not going to work for us (the sharing and OOP plan). I considered cancelling but decided we don't really know what the policy will be until we get there so best to try for original plan but have a backup thats better than turning around and leaving. I'm not worried about it not being the best deal TS credit wise, we're doing HDDR too and I guess mathematically its not the best use of credits. BUT, these are things that its somehow harder for us to justify when paying cash so DDP, even using 2 credits and not thinking what you could have gotten at LeCellier, works fine for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter