• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is the grocery store across the street an easy walk or is traffic bad?

I'm assuming you don't have a car so your only choice is to shop at ABC store? It's pretty pricey there, so if you did have a car, I'd advise driving to a grocery store in Kapolei (Safeway, Target, Foodland). I also advise taking the parking elevator to the ground floor, then walking out of the parking structure, then turning right & walk to the stop light to cross the street to get to ABC store, Starbucks, Monkeypod etc. If you walk from the lobby level, you will walk the whole curved driveway, then have to walk further to the stop light, but you do get to see the front of the resort & there are a few photo ops out there.

Thanks! No we won’t have a car.
Depending on what type and how many groceries you are wanting, it might be better to order it ahead and have it delivered. The ABC store is fine for a few things but it is in now way a grocery store. It just carries the basic staple items, kind of like how Walgreens does.

It’s an easy walk, and they have enough of a variety of food and drink options if you’re only staying for a week. Carrying groceries can get heavy though; we always have a rental car (and in normal years the Marriott used to run a free shuttle to Costco, Safeway, and Target on the weekends for guests who don’t have a car to stock up upon arrival; don’t think it’s running now though). Also not sure if the Ko Olina shuttle is running, but it used to go between the resorts and to Roy’s.

There's barely any traffic - its a four lane road but it only services the gated community of Ko Olina, which is small. Its not a far walk, but if you are carrying heavy grocery bags, it may be long and you'd be going up-hill up the Aulani driveway on the way back. If you look at the aerial image of Aulani on Google Maps, you can see the length of the driveway and the walk over to the Island Country Market.

I agree with PPs that you should not mistake the Island Country Market for a grocery store. IMO, its akin to a 7-11 or similar convenience store. As others have noted, they have basic toiletries, snacks, some drinks, a small prepared food section, and souvenirs. The prices are high and reflective of what you'd expect in an area that was curated and targeted at tourists. If you just want snacks, some drinks, and some basic breakfast type items then I think it would be sufficient, but you need to do a week's worth of grocery shopping for meals, I'd suggest taking an Uber to Walmart or Safeway in Kapolei. Also, depending on when you're going, the satellite rental car offices in Ko Olina could be open by then so you could also consider doing a one day car rental to take care of your groceries and anything else you may want to do. Alamo operates out of Aulani and Enterprise operates out of the Marriott next door, but I believe both are still closed in the current environment.

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer to get most of our toiletries and food/drinks at Target over Walmart or Safeway. I can find everything we need for breakfasts, snacks, booze, and some basic lunch things at Target, at prices similar to home (other than bread and eggs, which always cost more in Hawaii but heck it’s vacation). My DH has this love affair with Costco, and next trip there will be 10 of us in 3 villas, so we might end up there to get things like salads and prepared foods (and pineapples, yum).

Remember to bring shopping bags! I have a couple of nice big insulated ones that I use all the time at home; plan on using one of them also for cold drinks and snacks by the pool. Hawaii was the first state to ban most plastic single use bags (and they were also the first to ban smoking in most public places, for which I am eternally grateful).

Thanks it’s just me an my daughter staying for 3 nights so we won’t be buying a ton of stuff. Glad it’s not a bad walk.

Oh yeah for just 3 nights you are fine to buy what you need there! The prices are not as bad as others make it seem, but I lived on Oahu so I got used to some prices (other than the commissary). Your will be so fine! And no traffic there. It’s a small resort community.

We have been able to by eggs, milk, English muffins, cheese and have breakfast in the room (breakfast sandwiches) - works out pretty good! We didn’t find the groceries that expensive at the Aulani market - however - we are used to paying higher prices in Canada vs our US neighbours.

We just booked! So excited just booked a deluxe studio. I cannot wait! Thanks for all of your help.

We have been able to by eggs, milk, English muffins, cheese and have breakfast in the room (breakfast sandwiches) - works out pretty good! We didn’t find the groceries that expensive at the Aulani market - however - we are used to paying higher prices in Canada vs our US neighbours.
So how do you cook the eggs in the room? Microwave? Thanks

So how do you cook the eggs in the room? Microwave? Thanks

You can do scrambled eggs in the microwave very easily. Just mix them like normal and then put them in for about a minute. Check them to see if they're done and add time if needed.

The ABC Store does have excellent breakfast sandwiches that they make to order. When I get to school tomorrow I will see if I still have their menu saved and I'll post the link. It was easier to walk over there and get breakfast then make it and have to clean up the mess in the morning. It's also a nice little walk.

You can do scrambled eggs in the microwave very easily. Just mix them like normal and then put them in for about a minute. Check them to see if they're done and add time if needed.

The ABC Store does have excellent breakfast sandwiches that they make to order. When I get to school tomorrow I will see if I still have their menu saved and I'll post the link. It was easier to walk over there and get breakfast then make it and have to clean up the mess in the morning. It's also a nice little walk.
Thanks! Good idea.

Thanks it’s just me an my daughter staying for 3 nights so we won’t be buying a ton of stuff. Glad it’s not a bad walk.
I like to Google map street view places that I travel. You can see how easy it is to walk there and what the intersection looks like.

We bought some basics at the ABC but found that some things (I remember the POG juice for sure) was cheaper in Aulani’s own shop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter