Is the dining plan going to change in 2011

TDC Nala and 2tiggies, I think you have this issue pegged. I am not suprised at all that this is the direction they would take the plan based on the feedback from disney corporate. If they continue to offer a plan, it will be a convenience plan, not a cost savings plan as the indications from what has been put out would show. In actuality, it was the desserts on the regular ddp and the mug/desserts on qs that made it possible to save, now if you want to save anything you will be required to make the big investment in the DXDDP, which appears to have been left unchanged.

I am a bit suprised at the increase though, they at least dropped the price a $1 when they took away tip/app. Add to that what looked like a hike in ticket prices too and they have to be reaching a saturation point. Clearly I think they are trying to move into a direction of maximum profit per guest at the cost of higher overall numbers.

A choice doesn't help with Disney's other reasoning - table turnover. If they give guests a choice between an appetizer and a dessert, some in the party will order appetizers, some will order desserts, and they'll share. No expedited table turnover for Disney. Disney's willing to give up rapid table turnover if guests are willing to pay extra though.

Hmmm...I see what you mean, giving customers the choice will only slow down table turnover.

It's unfortunate that the drive for profit creates more waste and decreases quality. People will continue to order deserts they may or may not want because it's offered in the plan. Deserts are churned out at a higher rate, while a lot of deserts go back to the kitchen half eaten. It's a bad system made worse when you go on the Deluxe dining plan and you have BOTH desert and appetizer included in your meal.

It's not just that people weren't finishing their desserts. It's that (apparently) wait staff were saying to people that they might as well have it since they had paid for it, so that the bill was higher value and the tip was higher, being a percentage of the bill value. That's just encouraging waste to increase their tip, which is bad imho.

It's not just that people weren't finishing their desserts. It's that (apparently) wait staff were saying to people that they might as well have it since they had paid for it, so that the bill was higher value and the tip was higher, being a percentage of the bill value. That's just encouraging waste to increase their tip, which is bad imho.

To be fair, wait staff in any restaurant are trained to push sales. It is not just good for the servers, but good for the business. I don't disagree with you about waste, but at the end of the day, if I can't eat dessert, I don't want it - or I will split one if I can manage. It is still up to the guest to order it or not. I do however agree that the dining plan causes people to feel they need to justify the cost or increase cost effectiveness by hiking the bill and ordering though. :goodvibes

In this case it's not good for the business though, is it? I was under the impression that the restaurant got a fixed amount for each DDP person, so if that person takes a dessert they wouldn't have had without the server pushing the diner to take it then the restaurant is down the cost (to them, not the menu price, obviously) of that dessert. Or am I wrong about the reimbursement to the restaurant?

In this case it's not good for the business though, is it? I was under the impression that the restaurant got a fixed amount for each DDP person, so if that person takes a dessert they wouldn't have had without the server pushing the diner to take it then the restaurant is down the cost (to them, not the menu price, obviously) of that dessert. Or am I wrong about the reimbursement to the restaurant?

I think you may be correct as it applies to restaurants that are not owned and operated by Disney. It's also their choice, contractually, to accept the dining plan. Some of them don't agree to. Some (especially the ones inside the parks and Coronado Springs) are sort of stuck because of the sheer numbers of guests on the dining plan - who will all be bypassing their restaurant if they don't accept it.

I have no idea how they are reimbursed. :confused3

This may be what really pushes me to lay off a Disney trip for a few years. When we first switched from a beach trip to a disney it was a savings-we had free dining w/apps/dessert and tip. Since then, for the same trip the following have been removed...app, dessert (if this is correct) tips and for us, most likely an upgrade to fromQS to DDP since it makes better sense for us to stay value. More and more I think this is the last trip for a few years.

This may be what really pushes me to lay off a Disney trip for a few years. When we first switched from a beach trip to a disney it was a savings-we had free dining w/apps/dessert and tip. Since then, for the same trip the following have been removed...app, dessert (if this is correct) tips and for us, most likely an upgrade to fromQS to DDP since it makes better sense for us to stay value. More and more I think this is the last trip for a few years.

I suppose it depends on the size and structure of your party along with various other factors. It won't stop me going to Disney. It also won't stop me from staying onsite. It might stop me from using the Dining Plan though. Ironically, a plan with no dessert would suit me perfectly as the snack credits could be used for the occasional dessert. But then for some, the treats are all part of the fun. What would not make sense for me is to pay for the plan if the cost is the same (or more as it is rumored) without the desserts to trade for extra water/fruit. For possibly less, I could just buy the same food OOP. The question is, would Disney up their menu prices significantly to ensure that the DDP is still the cost effective way to go? :confused3:confused3

I suppose it depends on the size and structure of your party along with various other factors. It won't stop me going to Disney. It also won't stop me from staying onsite. It might stop me from using the Dining Plan though. Ironically, a plan with no dessert would suit me perfectly as the snack credits could be used for the occasional dessert. But then for some, the treats are all part of the fun. What would not make sense for me is to pay for the plan if the cost is the same (or more as it is rumored) without the desserts to trade for extra water/fruit. For possibly less, I could just buy the same food OOP. The question is, would Disney up their menu prices significantly to ensure that the DDP is still the cost effective way to go? :confused3:confused3

Good point - if menu prices increase, the DDP could still be a value, assuming you choose to still eat onsite. the question then becomes, is Disney food so overpriced that we should choose to eat offsite, and possibly stay offsite??? The increase would probably have to be Huge to make that happen for us. And probably for many others - which they know - which is scary, LOL!

Good point - if menu prices increase, the DDP could still be a value, assuming you choose to still eat onsite. the question then becomes, is Disney food so overpriced that we should choose to eat offsite, and possibly stay offsite??? The increase would probably have to be Huge to make that happen for us. And probably for many others - which they know - which is scary, LOL!

Well for us devoted onsite fans there is always the Garden Grocer if it comes to that. ;)

Oh lord, I sure hope this isn't true, but now I'm seeing flashbacks of 2007 all over again!!!

No one wanted to believe it could be true -- that they'd take away appetizers AND tips. How could they do that? And lots of people said they'd never do DDP again -- it just wouldn't be worth it! Well here we are a couple of years later. They did drop the price a dollar that year, but have raised it in the years since and added a seasonal surcharge so that part of the year it's now nearly $10 more per day than it was at the time it included appetizer and gratutity, and yet the dining plan is as popular, if not more than it ever was!

I could very easily see this being true, even with a price increase, after all the removal of the appetizer and tip took at least $15-20 or more in value out of the plan, where as this change would be about $9-10.

I REALLLY hope it's not true but I won't be too shocked if it is!!

Hi all

I emailed Virgin Holiday's Customer Service department and they have just responded with this ..............

'Thank you for your enquiry,

I have checked the brochure and the dining plan is as follows,

Disney Quick Service Dining Plan includes 2 quick service meals and 2
selected snacks.

Disney Dining Plan includes 1 Quick service meal, 1 waiter service meal
and 2 selected snacks.

Disney Deluxe Dining Plan includes 3 Quick Service or waiter service
meals, 2 selected snacks and 1 refillable resort Mug per person per
stay.

The dining plans have changed from last year.'

They haven't actually haven't said that the dessert has been removed but in the brochure description of the regular dining plan it states that you will recieve an entree and drink for your TS meal and the same for you QS meal (or a combo meal) plus your two snacks. I have gone back to them to ask if they can clarify

So the summary of possible changes is:

No dessert with any plan.

2 snacks with the basic plan.

No mug with the quick service plan.

Thanks Linda for e-mailing virgin, let us know if they reply about the desserts. I do think that if there are no desserts on the plan and the resort mug is removed we will be staying off site and will nto spend as much time at disney, we might even do a split stay and go over to clearwater for a few days.

Thanks for sharing that Linda. Good summary, Nala. Will sure be interesting to see what the prices are!

If you do mainly buffets, then this may be a good change. You can still get the desserts and an extra snack credit per person. Other than that, I don't see how anyone could save any money on this plan now.

If this does really take place, part of me wonders how much it has to do with Free Dining being so regularly offered now. And could it be a sign that they'll keep sending out (or increase) those FD offers for next year vs. room discounts? Stands to reason they want to decrease the cost of the dining plan on their end if they're giving it away for free.

Personally I'll take a room code any day over a free dining code, but that's another discussion all together ;)

If this does really take place, part of me wonders how much it has to do with Free Dining being so regularly offered now. And could it be a sign that they'll keep sending out (or increase) those FD offers for next year vs. room discounts? Stands to reason they want to decrease the cost of the dining plan on their end if they're giving it away for free.

Personally I'll take a room code any day over a free dining code, but that's another discussion all together ;)

For solo travelers, those with only 2 in a room or small kids and those staying in deluxe resorts, a good room code is almost always better than a free dining one. So you're right on the money with that one. :thumbsup2

For solo travelers, those with only 2 in a room or small kids and those staying in deluxe resorts, a good room code is almost always better than a free dining one. So you're right on the money with that one. :thumbsup2
I'm surprised they haven't offered the DxDDP for free with Deluxe resorts, especially now that they're only giving QSDP with the Value resorts. I think that would tip the scales (in more ways than one!) for many people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter