Is the dining plan going to change in 2011

I've just been lookign on Complete Orlando's website at the 2011 dining plan and they are the same as virgin no more desserts: - :eek:

2011 Disney’s Quick Service Dining Plan
The Quick Service Dining Plan includes the following, per person per day at participating locations:
•2 Quick Service meals per person per day which includes a choice of one entrée and one non-alcoholic beverage or one combo meal and one non-alcoholic beverage (dessert no longer available).
•2 Snacks per person per day includes a choice of one medium fountain soft drink, one 20-ounce bottle of soft drink or water, one popcorn scoop (single serving box), one frozen ice cream novelty , single piece of whole fruit, single-serving bag of snacks, 12oz coffee, hot chocolate of hot tea or single serving prepackaged milk or juice.

2011 Disney Dining Plan
The Disney Dining Plan includes the following, per person per day at participating locations:
•1 Table Service Meal per person per day includes one entrée or one full buffet (if available) and one non-alcoholic beverage.
•1 Quick Service Meal per person per day includes a choice of one entrée and one non-alcoholic beverage or one combo meal and one non-alcoholic beverage (dessert no longer available).
•1 Snack per person per day includes a choice of one medium fountain soft drink, one 20-ounce bottle of soft drink or water, one popcorn scoop (single serving box), one frozen ice cream novelty , single piece of whole fruit, single-serving bag of snacks, 12oz coffee, hot chocolate of hot tea or single serving prepackaged milk or juice.

Hmm...that's a little different! Shows only 1 snack per day for the DDP. So dropping 2 desserts (QS and TS), approx. decrease in value of $10 or more AND they're going to raise the price??? If that's the case, that may mean the end of the DDP for us! We're ones that like our sweets - whether in dessert or snack form doesn't matter, but the value was always there for us, because we'd buy them anyways. I'll have to run the numbers of course, once it's all official, but I doubt we'd see much of a savings, if any, depending on how much the price goes up.

The QSDP is also a larger decrease in value, with no desserts at all. For a 1 week trip, approximately $8-9 decrease in value.

I just can't see this large of a decrease in value without a decrease in price!! Though they've done it before, I guess.

Yes, I know, but some posters were mentioning that Virgin indicated a drop of the dessert(s) but the ADDITION of another snack to "replace" that. The post I quoted includes only the 1 snack credit.

2011 Disney Dining Plan
The Disney Dining Plan includes the following, per person per day at participating locations:
•1 Table Service Meal per person per day includes one entrée or one full buffet (if available) and one non-alcoholic beverage.
•1 Quick Service Meal per person per day includes a choice of one entrée and one non-alcoholic beverage or one combo meal and one non-alcoholic beverage (dessert no longer available).
•1 Snack per person per day includes a choice of one medium fountain soft drink, one 20-ounce bottle of soft drink or water, one popcorn scoop (single serving box), one frozen ice cream novelty , single piece of whole fruit, single-serving bag of snacks, 12oz coffee, hot chocolate of hot tea or single serving prepackaged milk or juice.
Hmmm... If this is what the regular dining plan looks like in 2011, this may be my last time using the plan on our May trip. Since we always pay for the DDP we don't expect to save a ton of money, but a little savings is a nice perk....

Hmmm... If this is what the regular dining plan looks like in 2011, this may be my last time using the plan on our May trip. Since we always pay for the DDP we don't expect to save a ton of money, but a little savings is a nice perk....

Exactly!!

I agree with you on this. I have always tried to peak out the dining plan to get value. In addition, it was very convenient to just order what we wanted and not budget. If this change comes to pass we'll just go oop. I can't see how this would be to Disney's advantage because I'm sure myself and many others will end up spending less this way than what we pay on the DDP. :confused3

Just pulled out my pre-trip dining calculations from our 2009 trip. Assumed same DDP price (b/c we have no idea), took out all the adult desserts - TS and QS. The desserts + tax on them totaled almost exactly $100. Our planned savings (we varied from some of the plans, but not much) was $266.72. Take out that $100 and we're down to $166.72 in savings - with NO increase in price. If there's any increase in price, that could easily drop to below $100. Now if calculations for 2011 come out about the same - guess we'd probably still do it, some savings is better than none I guess, and we'd definitely all eat 1 QS entree and 1 TS entree each day plus a snack. We'd buy that anyways, so I guess if we saved a little....can definitely see us paying more OOP for desserts and /or extra snacks. But with it getting "closer" with the value - depending on restaurants...could definitely end up NOT being a savings and in that case, forget it!

Honestly, if that's the case, I can't imagine WHO it would end up being a savings for. We always seemed to have more savings than most on the plan!

I can just see it: This time next year, instead of waiting for free dining pins, everyone is going to be waiting for Dessert pin codes :lmao: Room rate discounts and if you PAY for your dining plan you can apply your dessert pin :rotfl2:

I really like the QSDP. It probably isn't a savings for us, but it is covenient and meals are paid for before we arrive. However those who have done the math report more times than not that it is the dessert (even if you don't want it or get a water as a sub for it) that makes the difference. For us it is the refillable mug. No DDP for us in 2008 but the mug pays itself off by day 2 or 3 even buying it OOP. So by getting it free with the QSDP it is a great bonus. I personally don't care for dessert every day - or even every other day - but if the price is going to go up:rotfl2: and elements removed I would be better off taking my £££'s and buying what I want. With currency conversion it costs us more to buy the plan in the UK than in the US. If more items are removed from the credits along with a price increase it doesn't bear considering the DDP in any form - even for convenience.

Still, this is all speculation and a very entertaining discussion. Disney will keep quiet until the officially announce the 2011 plans and until then, we will have to wait .... and discuss... ;)

I don't really understand why Disney are doing this (if that's what they're doing).
It could be because the DDP is too popular and not profitable enough - BUT if that's the case, why offer as many free DDP promotions? :confused3
OK, going along those lines, the free DDP is a draw - it keeps people onsite, but making it less valuable whilst still keeping people happy.
I can see it backfire with many people who pay for the DDP though - it must still be fresh in the mind when the appetiser and gratuity were dropped...

I can see it backfire with many people who pay for the DDP though - it must still be fresh in the mind when the appetiser and gratuity were dropped...

yes it is! Our first family trip was 2007 -oh, the DDP was sooooo great! No $$ needed at all! 2009 - still good, didn't really miss the appys, bummer not to have tip included, but easy to just charge to the room. 2011...we'll see! As I said, I'm a sweet tooth!!!!

OK, going along those lines, the free DDP is a draw - it keeps people onsite, but making it less valuable whilst still keeping people happy.

Folk have to CHOOSE between a discounted room rate OR free dining - hence the standthat "free" dining is never really free. However in the past, for example when they took the appy and tips out of it, the cost of the plan did not go up. From the Virgin and CO websites, it appears that there is to be an (IMO rather significant) increase in the cost of the plan. Not being one for many desserts, but happy to be able to sub for a water/soda and the conveninece of the plan is fine for me. Charge more, and I will seriously have to reconsider. Actually I just did. I know it won't be worth it. I still wonder if this is an error.

Nobody knows why Disney does things, but we need to remember, that nothing has been officially announced at this stage so we still have to wait a few months at least to find out.

I don't really understand why Disney are doing this (if that's what they're doing).

There might be a couple of reasons, if indeed they are doing it.

Could be they are seeing it's either that or raise prices substantially (although it sounds like they may do this anyway) and they know the dining plan won't sell if they don't keep it affordable.

There's been a lot of complaints (at least on these boards) about each person having to order a full dessert with every meal. People are not eating all the desserts, or they are throwing the desserts out. If the dessert is not included, guests can choose to purchase fewer desserts, or to purchase desserts for their party to share.

It isn't in keeping with Disney's attempt to promote a "healthy" image to have customers prepay for a dessert for each person with every meal.

"Free" DDP is going to be a draw no matter what. Maybe they're planning to move to a model where most guests on the DDP will have gotten it for free as a promotion to help fill rooms, and it won't bother those guests so much if a dessert is not included.

I don't envy British guests who are trying to decide whether or not to book at this time.

Could be they are seeing it's either that or raise prices substantially (although it sounds like they may do this anyway) and they know the dining plan won't sell if they don't keep it affordable.

There's been a lot of complaints (at least on these boards) about each person having to order a full dessert with every meal. People are not eating all the desserts, or they are throwing the desserts out. If the dessert is not included, guests can choose to purchase fewer desserts, or to purchase desserts for their party to share.

It isn't in keeping with Disney's attempt to promote a "healthy" image to have customers prepay for a dessert for each person with every meal.

"Free" DDP is going to be a draw no matter what. Maybe they're planning to move to a model where most guests on the DDP will have gotten it for free as a promotion to help fill rooms, and it won't bother those guests so much if a dessert is not included.

I don't envy British guests who are trying to decide whether or not to book at this time.

I think that's a good point. You should have the choice between a desert and an appetizer for DDP. That way you could opt for a healthy salad. And if you want desert, you could share it with someone else.

A choice doesn't help with Disney's other reasoning - table turnover. If they give guests a choice between an appetizer and a dessert, some in the party will order appetizers, some will order desserts, and they'll share. No expedited table turnover for Disney. Disney's willing to give up rapid table turnover if guests are willing to pay extra though.

It is interesting to note that back in 2007 (not sure if it was as early as April, but it was DEFINITELY before August before the 2008 packages were released), there were many posts on these boards about changes to the plan (ie. dropping the appetizer and the gratutities, is this when the QS and Deluxe plans were added also? Not sure, but I know the appy and tips thing for sure) for 2008. Many of these posts used the source of the Virgin UK site and their package descriptions for 2008. This turned out to be accurate - those changes did occur...............................just some rambling thoughts, LOL.....

I can remember this as well, a lot of posters didn't believe it until it actually happened.

Caron

I agree with much of what you said, and I'm also one of those who don't need a dessert with every meal. However, it does bother me if I'm going to get less and pay even more for it.

I agree with much of what you said, and I'm also one of those who don't need a dessert with every meal. However, it does bother me if I'm going to get less and pay even more for it.

I think many of us feel that way. I would be perfectly happy to lose the dessert, don't need an extra snack either, but I want to pay a bit less or at worst, no more for it.

On the up-side, if a dining plan doesnt suit me, I will pay OOP and eat wherever I want to whether the places participate in the plan or not. I can also happily order a kids meal for myself, as I have done several times in the past, and save myself some money without having to eat more than I want to at the time. As long is it isn't mandatory to have the dining plan to eat at Disney, we will still have the option of deciding for ourselves if it is worth it or not. Just as we do now. :goodvibes

Going along with what 2 Tiggies says. If this is really going to be the situation in 2011, there will be those who still think it's worth it to have their entrees and drinks prepaid and will pay for the convenience. If you don't think it's worth it, the plan isn't mandatory, guests have the choice to not use it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter